Tempest 808 Kick Drum Tutorial

Tempest 808 Kick Drum Tutorial
« on: March 30, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »
Hi all,

I've created a tutorial showing how to recreate an 808 kick drum sound on the Tempest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFDTbc1Qxds

While this might be a bit basic for some forum users, I thought it might help out newcomers to drum synthesis and also further dispel the very untrue rumor that the Tempest can't do good kicks  ;)

dsetto

Re: Tempest 808 Kick Drum Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:32:55 PM »
Thank you. This type of thing is exactly what I'll need when I go beyond playing, sequencing and jumping off presets.

Shea

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »
This is the best 808 tempest kick I've ever heard.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
Thanks!  When I get the time I've got an 808 Snare tutorial I want to do too.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »
Adam, thx for this. How did you know the paremeneters? Just trial and error?

And yes if you can do a 808 snare that would be choice.

I really appreciate tutorials like these because it helps me to understand how to use the tempest as  Im very intimidated with it.

Yorg's 808 sample pack is really nice as well, however  its great to see how the sausage is made if you will... :)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »

I really appreciate tutorials like these because it helps me to understand how to use the tempest as  Im very intimidated with it.

Yorg's 808 sample pack is really nice as well, however  its great to see how the sausage is made if you will... :)

Basically what I did was have my Roland 808 sample loaded up and kept referencing it while designing the sound on the Tempest.  Getting the Amp Env settings was actually the trickiest part, and I got pretty nerdy with it by recording the Tempest output and then comparing it to the original 808 sound to make the curves close as possible (comparing the relative volumes after 100ms, 200ms, etc.)  While that might seem like overkill, part of the "oomph" and character of the 808 kick is how that volume curve looks.

Glad you liked it.  I've got the 808 Snare already made (the Tempest can actually get surprisingly close with it), I just need to do the actual video.  Part of why I wanted to do this was because I think the Tempest is a very intimidating instrument to those unfamiliar with drum synthesis and learning how to make the sounds yourself is half the battle (and half the fun!).

RobH

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
Once you get to understand how to make sounds with the Tempest without using the samples the machine starts to come alive tbh

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »
True!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 08:28:34 AM »
Adam,

Thank you for the follow up to my post.

Yes this machine is a beast and im super intimidated with it! With the mod martrix and menu diving for all of the other features, it gets intimidating.

Me personally, im appreciative of these types of videos and I again thank you for taking time to do this. Very simple to understand.

Fun story: i was at namm this year in LA and stopped by to see Mr. Linn at his booth. I asked him to show me how to make a kick and to see him whip one up within a couple of minutes all whilst explaining what he was doing was fascinating to see. That little demo really opened up. My eyes and put things in perspective.  He's such a master at this.

Look forward to the snare video!! ;-) just saying...

Basically what I did was have my Roland 808 sample loaded up and kept referencing it while designing the sound on the Tempest.  Getting the Amp Env settings was actually the trickiest part, and I got pretty nerdy with it by recording the Tempest output and then comparing it to the original 808 sound to make the curves close as possible (comparing the relative volumes after 100ms, 200ms, etc.)  While that might seem like overkill, part of the "oomph" and character of the 808 kick is how that volume curve looks.

Glad you liked it.  I've got the 808 Snare already made (the Tempest can actually get surprisingly close with it), I just need to do the actual video.  Part of why I wanted to do this was because I think the Tempest is a very intimidating instrument to those unfamiliar with drum synthesis and learning how to make the sounds yourself is half the battle (and half the fun!).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:31:17 AM by Morgenspaziergang »

RobH

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 02:30:39 PM »
For anyone interested in going deeper into the Tempest sound design may i point to the Sound design thread that is stickied at the top!

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,34.0.html

and also in that thread you can find the link to this amazing "Tempest recipe" thread that if you follow Stims recipes and go through them a couple of times will literally start to teach you how to get a lot more out of the tempest

Sorry Adam i dont want to hijack your thread I hope you don't mind me posting these!

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
For anyone interested in going deeper into the Tempest sound design may i point to the Sound design thread that is stickied at the top!

and also in that thread you can find the link to this amazing "Tempest recipe" thread that if you follow Stims recipes and go through them a couple of times will literally start to teach you how to get a lot more out of the tempest

Sorry Adam i dont want to hijack your thread I hope you don't mind me posting these!

Not at all! Those are great resources and should basically be included with the Tempest manual at this point :D

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 06:00:16 AM »
Ain't nothing like a good old video, though. That's why show and tell back in the school days (here in the states) was the bestest thing ever.

I read all of that and its good info. People like me, however, like to see visuals. Even Carsons dsi tempest videos showing basic points on the tempest are gold.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
Whole new topic on video vs text...the next Web3.0 all video/VR. However, I prefer both as I had rewinding video or poor video quality and sound when trying to figure out what was said as I usually miss something. A combo of both video and a text description of settings works best for me;) IMHO
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)