Morton Subotnick @ Lincoln Center

chysn

Morton Subotnick @ Lincoln Center
« on: March 29, 2017, 12:41:35 PM »
http://www.lincolncenter.org/lc-festival/show/subotnick

Tickets went on sale today. I've got mine! Now I just have to find my way to New York City...
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

Re: Morton Subotnick @ Lincoln Center
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
Well, I'm heading for the concert hall now. I'll let you know how it was!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:06:13 PM »
I'm really glad I made the trip. Thanks to buying my ticket the day they went on sale, I was seated in the first row, about five feet behind Subotnick. An iPhone shot of his performance rig is attached. I took this shot from my seat, without having to zoom in.

Crowds and Power was a powerful piece. Joan La Barbara sang the vocal part. The synthesizer part matched her vocals in fascinating ways. I'm not sure whether her voice was a modulation source, or whether Subotnick was explicitly playing along. I know that he's employed "voice as modulation source" techniques before, so it would be interesting to find out how this effect was done.

Strangely, the last few minutes of Crowds and Power ended with the last few minutes of A Sky of Cloudless Sulphur, but with the addition of a part for La Barbara.

The performance of Silver Apples of the Moon was nice, as well. It was a bit different than on the original album version, but all of the familiar sounds and rhythms were there.

Can anyone identify the three pieces of equipment surrounding the MacBook? The silver thing to the left, the white thing in the middle, and the black thing to the right, in front of the 222e?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:11:12 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 02:20:19 AM »
Cheers for that little review, sounds as thought it was a good night!
As to the three piece of kit, the white one in front of the keyboard looks like it could be one of those Korg mini controllers?

chysn

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 04:23:50 AM »
Cheers for that little review, sounds as thought it was a good night!
As to the three piece of kit, the white one in front of the keyboard looks like it could be one of those Korg mini controllers?

Yes, thanks! It looks like that's a Korg NanoKONTROL2. And then, while looking that up, I found that the black thing in front of the 222e looks like a NanoKONTROL Studio, and then what looks like a NanoKEY behind that. He uses Ableton during performance, so the NanoKONTROL stuff makes a lot of sense.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 06:01:27 AM »
Thanks for the report!

I first thought the silver thing to the left was a Tenori-on, but its edges look a tad too sharp and it has pads. Maybe it's just a launch pad like on the photo of Subotnick's desk below.

chysn

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
I first thought the silver thing to the left was a Tenori-on, but its edges look a tad too sharp and it has pads. Maybe it's just a launch pad like on the photo of Subotnick's desk below.

Yes, that looks like Novation Launch Pad. It's possible that it looks silver in the photo because of reflected light. Thanks for the ID help, everyone! I didn't want to get too close to Subotnick's stuff, so I couldn't see what everything was.

The Korg NanoKONTROL2 looks kind of awesome. Mousing around the screen in a DAW makes the experience kind of dreary, and this seems like a cheap way to fix that.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his