Soundtower for OB-6 - My experience with it..

Jdoo

Soundtower for OB-6 - My experience with it..
« on: March 29, 2017, 05:46:29 AM »
I wrote this post on another forum, but thought it might be of worth sharing here…

What follows is first impressions, warts and all - of the SoundTower OB-6 editor.
The not so good stuff:
- Though I was able to register my copy, it took a while (and a message to the support team) to get it sorted. On the upside, it is a one-time deal.
- There is no documentation / User Guide available. A note to the support team confirmed. Recommendation from support: Watch Prophet 12 videos to see what is what. This did get me rolling, as well as downloading the Mopho User Guide.
- There are bits and pieces which are confusing (especially with the lack of a user guide) but in some cases - functionality seems to not work... although it had. For example, you can overwrite a Patch Category / change it's name. It won't show up on all the screens initially. Refreshing Bank lists, can be a PITA also. A lot seemed to be, having the screen reflect changes made on the OB, or from other areas of the editor. Not a monumental issue - but in a couple of cases, I was trying to chase down non-existent problems.

The good stuff ( and there is plenty).
- Everything was able to sync up between my Mac and OB-6 Module. Comms back and forth seem fine. A change on the GUI - was reflected in the OB buffer, a change on the OB, was reflected on the GUI screens.
- Bank management, while a little confusing initially... is freaking awesome. Creating and saving banks is easy... and works. This alone, is worth the price of the software. You can easily create banks based on Sets, Genres, Tone types, whatever.
- You can create Filter, Arp and Sequencer templates.
- You can generate "Snapshots" of editing changes... allowing you to go back (I havent spent a lot of time with this - but the one test I did, worked)
- There is a Sequencer Editor... and it is functional. Wish there was documentation for this.. but I've been able to figure out the critical bits

- and . . . . the cool, fun, feature that alone - is worth the price. Oh wait - I already said the Librarian was worth the price. Well - the cool feature in addition to the Librarian is the Sound Generators. The video for the Prophet-12 editor covers these pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cq0FODRT8Q
What it doesn't say enough about... is if you have certain patch types that you enjoy, and want variations of them --- these Sound Generators are freaking awesome. If I was selling patches for the OB-6, I would be nervous about this technology. Seriously. I fired up the Sound Generator and mixed / matched some patches I really like, and generated a few dozen wonderful 'keepers' in a few minutes. You have to sort though some of the non-keepers that get generated - but my oh my. It also indexes and pulls up every Arp you have loaded. These show up in the SG windows, so you can try different arps with the variations. All your arps are in one place - and ready to audition the sounds, by clicking. This feature alone, is worth the price. oops.. sorry again.

Sorry to sound like an ad. I have no affiliation with SoundTower folks. There is a lot about the OB-6 editor that seems unfinished, and hopefully, they will get around to it. Lack of a manual is pretty sad. That said though -- if you are struggling with managing your patches, this does it - in spades. If you want on-screen editing or viewing of patch settings, this does it - well. If you want to monkey around with auto-generation of patches.. with an easy way to audition existing arps, and save these off - I know of no other game in town.

Joe

Re: Soundtower for OB-6 - My experience with it..
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:17 PM »
That is the most positive review of any ST editor I have ever come across. My experience was different.
Sounds like you didn't purchase the VST editor version? If so, you dodged a bullet there.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

Jdoo

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:36:24 PM »
That is the most positive review of any ST editor I have ever come across. My experience was different.
Sounds like you didn't purchase the VST editor version? If so, you dodged a bullet there.

Yeah, I am not using the plug-in.  The OB standalone editor continues to be the way I manage my patches / sound sets / libraries.  It's stuff you can do 'manually' or through careful use of software like  SysEx Librarian i suppose, only easier and more flexible.   I still find that the Sound Generator feature, is an interesting way to explore expanding existing tones / genres.   It's not without challenges though.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »

Yeah, I am not using the plug-in.  The OB standalone editor continues to be the way I manage my patches / sound sets / libraries.  It's stuff you can do 'manually' or through careful use of software like  SysEx Librarian i suppose, only easier and more flexible.   I still find that the Sound Generator feature, is an interesting way to explore expanding existing tones / genres.   It's not without challenges though.  ;D

I can provide you one version for free if you make detailed review of codeknobs SYNTHET :) http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,987.0.html

Jdoo

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 05:50:24 AM »

I can provide you one version for free if you make detailed review of codeknobs SYNTHET :) http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,987.0.html

Sure,  shoot me a PM. 

Jdoo

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »
Had some time tonight... and decided to create a couple of Pads and effects using the "Program Genetics" sound generator.  I morphed string/pads that I liked, and created a couple of programs.  Did the same with a couple of effects, generating a couple of Effect type patches.  I dumped the SysEx files for these four into the attached zip. 

Couple of notes...  Other than naming the patches, I did not edit these, so they are not balanced.  I didn't adjust these at all.. just dumped them as individual SysEx files using the free SysEx Librarian.  These may not be anyone else's cup-o-tea, but are sounded ok to me.  I don't do a lot of effects, and was dinking around... seeing what I could create on the fly.  Like I said before, it's an easy way to test the waters in areas you might not otherwise go.

Lastly -- you can use the SysEx librarian, SoundTower, or whatever SysEx loader you care to, to load/try these.  Use at your own risk...  no warranty... yadda yadda.  Just freely sharing something I liked.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
Yea, I have a whole bank of sounds that I "morphed" into new sounds. I do like that feature, reminds me of the Arturia thing where you click a point on a plot of sounds and it merges them together in various ways.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
Thanks, I downloaded the demo, should it transmit midi in the demo ? I have all the globals set to USB, obey is sending midi, but i cant transmit changes if I move parameters on the editor ?

Jdoo

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »
Thanks, I downloaded the demo, should it transmit midi in the demo ? I have all the globals set to USB, obey is sending midi, but i cant transmit changes if I move parameters on the editor ?

Am not at my workstation now (won't be for several hours), but if I understand your question correctly, yes.  Changed  parameters on the editor are reflected on the OB.  You should see connection in the MIDI setup window.  Definitely want to be using NRPN (NR) for parameter send and receive to get things rolling.  This vid, goes over the settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kix08-8nwvs 

IIRC - this all worked fine, with the demo version.

joe

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
Using Nr and everything is set right on USB, curious, thanks. Don't really want to shell out till I have this sorted. But I re-checked and everything is the same, obey is online transmitting not receiving, even though Param Rcv is set to USB.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:28:49 AM by h4ndcrafted »

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
Can anybody see anything wrong with my globals, obviously using the USB here.

Jdoo

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Using Nr and everything is set right on USB, curious, thanks. Don't really want to shell out till I have this sorted. But I re-checked and everything is the same, obey is online transmitting not receiving, even though Param Rcv is set to USB.

Sounds odd.   Sorry it's not working for you.  IIRC.. there were a couple of settings in the video, that made things come to life for me (Globals - MIDI/SysEx (button 8 ) to USB, and the 9 button (MIDI Out) also set to USB.  There may be others, but if you see a connection from the editor.. MIDI Connection, then you should be getting data transmitting and receiving.  You may try running a MIDI monitor while youre dinking around with this stuff.  On my Mac, I was able to see transmission back and forth that way.  In any case.. g'luck.  It should be working...

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
I've messaged soundtower. Thanks for your ideas and help.

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 02:26:04 PM »
Oh, I don't know whether it is the same for everybody else, but the effects on the editor don't always show right even after re transmission. I.e Ring mod effect seems to want to show as 'shifter 1' a lot of the time, other times its fine.

Jdoo

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 08:05:41 PM »
Oh, I don't know whether it is the same for everybody else, but the effects on the editor don't always show right even after re transmission. I.e Ring mod effect seems to want to show as 'shifter 1' a lot of the time, other times its fine.

Only differences on my Global settings to yours (and I can’t see how these would matter) are:

MIDI Clock Mode:  Out Master
MIDI Clock Port:  MIDI Port

Under MIDI Setup — This is what I have ..

MIDI PORTS

MIDI IN PORT                               MIDI OUT PORT
OB-6 Model: OB-6 Module           OB-6 Model: OB-6 Module

MIDI Global Channel  [ All Channels ]

Re:  The effects.. Definitely, some show wrong (at times?). 

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 02:29:58 AM »
Hello everybody, I just installed the trial version of Soundtower Editor and after following the Global setup direction shown in the "OB-6 Global Settings and MIDI Setup for Soundtower Editor" tutorial video. I can only see and hear parameter change taking place when moving my OB-6 controllers but not vise versa; changing parameters from the editor GUI does not bring on any change to the OB-6 although I can change presets using the editor preset select list. Any ideas ?

Thanks

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »
Hello everybody, I just installed the trial version of Soundtower Editor and after following the Global setup direction shown in the "OB-6 Global Settings and MIDI Setup for Soundtower Editor" tutorial video. I can only see and hear parameter change taking place when moving my OB-6 controllers but not vise versa; changing parameters from the editor GUI does not bring on any change to the OB-6 although I can change presets using the editor preset select list. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Same issue here. Followed instructions from Soundtower. I would love to purchase this software to manage my library, but I need to know it will function on my system first. Everything seems to work except for sending data to the OB from the patch editor (it's the standalone version btw).

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 06:58:27 PM »

That is one of the known issues...I also have to keep an eye on the LFO Sync button. It tends to be wrong most of the time when I call up a preset from disk or before I save to disk from the editor. In fact, I still visually check all the parameters before I save to make sure the software reflects the hardware's state. What year is this? I recently lost a preset fiddling around with the editor and accidentally over writing the preset I was trying to call up. Losing that preset hurt...I'm putting that down to human error unless it happens again. It was a long night. Anyway, Goodluck!

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »
Same issue here. Followed instructions from Soundtower. I would love to purchase this software to manage my library, but I need to know it will function on my system first. Everything seems to work except for sending data to the OB from the patch editor (it's the standalone version btw).
[/quote]

Ok, mystery solved. In the demo mode any editing, sending and saving is disabled. Once registered, everything will start working as expected. I bought the registered copy and all works fine now.

Jdoo

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 05:00:06 PM »
Noticed that version 1.3.0 was out on the SoundTower site, so I installed it.  Was hoping they had addressed the problem with the Effects not being reflected correctly between the screen and what's selected on the OB.  No joy... still out of sync.   ::)