Tempest Digital Samples Glossary

Tempest Digital Samples Glossary
« on: November 24, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »
Hello.

Is there any way of finding out where the various digital samples are from/modelled after - especially the synth ones towards the end? I'm guessing the VS 92, VS 89 type ones are from the Prophet VS for instance? Or are they all mostly just creations specifically for the Tempest? Just curious about them really and would love to know how they were made.

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
Re: Tempest Digital Samples Glossary
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 02:29:35 PM »
Hi dmcauley,

The following is a quote from Carson Day in an e-mail exchange we had a while back:
"The VS waveforms start on sample "Sine" (sample number369) and continue to the end of the list."

Those VS waveforms are AFAIK considered kind of a bonus feature by DSI and were not created specifically for the Tempest. Of course they sound different on the Tempest than on, say for example, the DSI Evolver.

As for the other samples, some of them are labelled pretty clearly, but some of them are left ambiguous (I assume for a reason), so it might not be possible to know for certain where all of them come from, but I'm sure there are some people who can make some pretty good guesses.

Page iv in the manual tells you who the samples came from :).

Page iv from the DSI Tempest manual:
-------------------------------
For their samples, thanks to:
Angus Hewlett/FXpansion
Audio samples © 2007 FXpansion Audio UK Ltd. Used with permission.
www.fxpansion.com
Hugo Tichborne/Goldbaby
www.goldbaby.co.nz
Haptic Audio
www.hapticaudio.com
-------------------------------

I hope that helps!

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 08:15:39 PM »
Heya Steven,
Thanks so much! That answers my question better than I expected.
Wouldn't have guessed they'd all be from the VS but listening to them now I can kind of hear the common thread.
Also, thank you for not giving me a rtfm. Have always skipped that page when I go to the manual. I've actually downloaded stuff from goldbaby and fxpansion before I think. Goldbaby's probably the dude responsible for the 9090/808ish stuff, I'd imagine. v good folk for samples anyway.

Thanks again!
Dan

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 05:15:13 PM »
A tip that blew my mind when someone posted in on the other forum: holding the shift key while turning the soft encoder jumps through the sample waveforms by category (so it's only a few turns to get to the VS ones instead of 369!)
https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)

Jinsai

• Music. Technology. Creativity
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:13:43 AM »
...the VS 92, VS 89 type ones are from the Prophet VS for instance? Or are they all mostly just creations specifically for the Tempest?

It is also worth noting that many of the VS waveshapes do not loop properly due to a firmware bug. This means they do not produce the correct sound, and add an unpleasant buzzing/extra harmonics.