That Poly Evolver Sound

Sacred Synthesis

Re: That Poly Evolver Sound
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 09:09:46 AM »
My concern about the Prophet X is that it may be the closest thing we see to a new Poly Evolver Keyboard.  Since the PX has the VS's/PEK's waveshapes sampled, how likely is it that DSI would release a second instrument with the same tones?

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »
My concern about the Prophet X is that it may be the closest thing we see to a new Poly Evolver Keyboard.  Since the PX has the VS's/PEK's waveshapes sampled, how likely is it that DSI would release a second instrument with the same tones?

The Tempest also has the VS waveshapes sampled.

I think Dave knows that there is a difference between samples of the VS waves and actual Vector Synthesis and he knows the fans know that too. I think he included the VS waves as sort of treats....same with the Prophet-5 samples as well that 8Dio is doing from Dave's personal P5. Nah, I think if Dave is going to do a new Evolver or...more likely...a new VS. Dave always said "When you put a digital sound through analog filters there's something magical that happens." so I think it's more likely we'll see a successor to the P12 first and THEN maybe we'll see a true analog/digital hybrid Evolver style later.

I can certainly see them doing something along the lines of Paul Dither's design the Sequential Waves with more focus on Vector synthesis, FM synthesis and wavetable stuff. Now that may start swerving into Quantum territory but...I think Dave might be able to "one up" them. Perhaps an updated software program that is based on the "Hacker" software that was used to draw the original VS waves. A program that users can trade "Drawings" with each other and import them directly into their synth OR modify them slightly. So instead of having a massive touch screen on board like the Quantum it's a seperate program that is more based on a community of users.

Like I said Dave revamped the Prophet-5 and gave us the Prophet-6.
He took the idea of the Prophet 2000 sampler and injected some steroids into it to make it the Prophet X.
Even older synths that weren't his own like an Oberheim OBX or Linn Drum. In those collaborations he took inspiration from the original instruments and expanded on them.
In each of his creations Dave has set out to use the past as a blueprint and expanded on it so that his new instruments could be more reliable and do more than their predicessors could ever do.

So now we look at the Prophet VS.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/pvs.php

Now how can Dave expand on that to bring it to modern fans?

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 09:12:01 PM »
Having listened to a number of demos, I'd definitely be in the market for a Rev2-style update of the PolyEvolver. It would actually follow fairly naturally from the stereo filters on the Prophet X. And in fact I am a sucker for the SSM filter sound, also used by the PPG wave. If you wanted to do a true update to the PEK/VS, I could see something with the ability to have modulatable mixing of the various waves per oscillator as well as wave sequencing a la the Modal 002/008 animators. That would take the best of the Vector synthesis style and Wavetable style, but add another layer of control and reflect the modern mania for modulating anything by anything else. It could even be a new flagship, with the joystick making a comeback in addition to the ribbon controllers.

However, I'd also love to see something in the Rev2's price range/philosophy with increased polyphony and a modern modulation matrix. I would pretty much buy one of those sight unseen.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 06:15:21 PM »
Having listened to a number of demos, I'd definitely be in the market for a Rev2-style update of the PolyEvolver. It would actually follow fairly naturally from the stereo filters on the Prophet X. And in fact I am a sucker for the SSM filter sound, also used by the PPG wave. If you wanted to do a true update to the PEK/VS, I could see something with the ability to have modulatable mixing of the various waves per oscillator as well as wave sequencing a la the Modal 002/008 animators. That would take the best of the Vector synthesis style and Wavetable style, but add another layer of control and reflect the modern mania for modulating anything by anything else. It could even be a new flagship, with the joystick making a comeback in addition to the ribbon controllers.

However, I'd also love to see something in the Rev2's price range/philosophy with increased polyphony and a modern modulation matrix. I would pretty much buy one of those sight unseen.

Agreed. I'd buy that sight unseen as well.

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 08:20:22 AM »
After not having my PEK turned on for months, and combing back to it after using a bunch of other synths....all I can say is Wow!

It never ceases to amaze me the unique sound of this instrument.  Still my favorite :)

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 09:16:16 AM »
Yes, I have the same problem, after not using it for a while.  Wow!