Using the Prophet '08 as a Monophonic Synthesizer

Jason

• Bandmix
Re: Using the Prophet '08 as a Monophonic Synthesizer
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 05:05:55 AM »
Yikes. I can't say that I would want to listen to that for very long.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 06:46:38 AM »
I presume it's due to a poorly placed pick up.  Still, it's only an extreme example of the mechanical noise that is part and parcel of acoustic instruments.  So, an occasional pop or click from a synthesizer should be tolerable if it can't be removed.  It also reminds me that synthesists are quite demanding in the audio quality field.  We've come to expect a degree of quality and frequency range that is extreme.  Whereas once the expression "CD quality" meant decent respectable enjoyable quality, now it's almost an insult, a sort of minimal standard for bedroom studio musicians.  Personally, I'm fine with CD quality, and I actually find it refreshing to hear good music recorded at this level.  Classical keyboard music is an example.  It seldom approaches the synthesist's standard of audio excellence.  I'm sure I don't have a single recording that passes such a standard.  Nor will I likely ever produce one.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:25:32 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 08:27:33 AM »
This is copied from "Improvisation LXXIII" on my YouTube channel:

"The flute sound seems simple enough, but it is deceptively elaborate. It consists of a narrow pulse and a square. The pulse width of each wave form is very slightly and slowly modulated. In addition, an LFO slowly modulates between one oscillator and the other. This means there is a subtle chorus effect from the PWM, a changing of timbre as the narrow pulse changes to a square and then back again, a faint beating of oscillators when the two briefly meet in the middle, plus a delayed vibrato which is either maintained by a smooth connected playing technique or retriggered (and thus, delayed) by a broken disconnected playing technique. Its filter, too, is controlled by the modulation wheel. To deepen the richness of the patch's general tone, the identical sound of Layer A is copied to Layer B and the two are panned at the mixer. So much trouble for a simple little flute sound, but it's always worth it. Of course, all these effects are detectible only when a long note is heard, and that's fine, because they're meant to be musical nuances that don't overly attract attention to themselves.

If it isn't obvious, I think the Prophet '08 makes a superb monophonic synthesizer."

I worked very hard at this patch and it shows the time and effort that can go into designing a monophonic sound with the Prophet '08.  Every effect is subtle but adds to the character of what - I hope - is a natural sounding result full of acoustic-like nuances.

I haven't seen one aspect of modulation discussed here before and used in this sound, and that is, modulating the oscillator levels using "Oscillator Mix."  By slowly rocking back and forth between oscillators, you can create what seems like pulse width modulation, but without the usual chorus effect, except when they briefly pass each other in the middle and beat.  I prefer it best when done subtly, but it's quite an effect when pushed to the extremes, such as when one pulse width is set to "48" (square) and the other is set to about "12" (very narrow pulse).  And of course, where you set the "Oscillator Mix" parameter determines which oscillator/waveform gets emphasized more than the other.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:42:54 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
I already had a monophonic synth (Moog Little Phatty) so when I got my Prophet I was intending to use it primarily as a poly synth. I figured I'd use the Moogs for leads and Prophet for pads.

I have been pleasantly surprised by a few of the monophonic presets on the Prophet, the first couple coming to mind are the Tom Sawyer and Lucky Guy presets. I use them without adjusting anything nor being tempted to reach for the Moog. They don't sound much alike, and I mean this in a good way. At this point I'm picking the synth based only on what kind of timbre I'm wanting, as they both can sound very different. 

This was not the case with previous DCO based synths I owned. The Unison mode on the Juno 106 seemed kind of harsh whereas I don't have this issue with the Prophet.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:05:20 PM by valtyr »

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 07:01:35 AM »
This was not the case with previous DCO based synths I owned. The Unison mode on the Juno 106 seemed kind of harsh whereas I don't have this issue with the Prophet.

Agreed - the unison mode on the (stock) Juno-106 (6x single DCO + subosc) is possibly the ugliest-sounding mono synth sound on the planet; the KiwiTechnics upgrade adds unison detune, bringing it much closer to Jupiter-4 (4x single VCO + subosc) territory.

I've never had a problem with the sound of any of the DSI DCO-based analogue synths in unison mode; the Tetra + Mopho SE combination (5x dual DCO + dual suboscs) was pretty large.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 07:04:46 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 09:24:11 AM »
Pardon the seasonal self-promotion, but the melody in this piece was played on the Prophet '08.  In my opinion, the sawtooth and square leads sounds very fine and musical.  This is why I've come to appreciate the P'08 as my preferred monophonic instrument.  The tone and control are excellent.  Sure, I'd love to have an ARP Odyssey, but then again, it just doesn't offer the same amount of control.  Essential to the two solo patches is the delayed vibrato, thanks to the third envelope.  The Odyssey can't provide this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5psbnQUX2Q
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:01:49 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
Oh Yes- I love your sawtooth lead sound on this one! I'd love to see a patch chart for it. (Of course, playing one of the best melodies of all time on it doesn't hurt either.) How are you getting that beautiful sizzle? Is it a saw or are you using PWM?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »
It's pure sawtooth: two oscillators closely tuned, a nice slow attack, a short release, and a delayed vibrato, much like a violin.

And that's one of my favorite melodies, too.  I played a more modal version of it by adding a major sixth to the minor melody, rather than the usual minor sixth.  It gives a mysterious "lift" to the tune.

Jason, I could honestly live with the Prophet '08's sound quality for the rest of my life.  I don't feel any need to improve on it.  If I could have it my way, the P'08 would remain in production for years to come, and I'd busy myself with making music with it, rather than constantly searching high and low for the latest new synthesizer.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:22:02 PM by Sacred Synthesis »