Using the Prophet '08 as a Monophonic Synthesizer

Sacred Synthesis

Using the Prophet '08 as a Monophonic Synthesizer
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:46:35 PM »
I try to stretch my synthesizers in order to get the most out of them. Since I've long been searching for a professional analog monophonic synthesizer and still haven't found the right one, I’ve experimented quite a bit with the Prophet ’08's monophonic side. For one, the P’08 offers the ideal keyboard size - a full five octaves. There's no need to hit an octave button when you run out of keys, as you constantly need to do to transpose a melody beyond the range of the typical three or three-and-a-half octave keyboard. You'll simply never run out of room on the P’08 keyboard, so that problem is solved once and for all. In addition, the "Split Mode" essentially allows you to have two independent mono synths ready to play, without having to switch between keyboards or hit program buttons to change sounds. This is a tremendous advantage over the usual one-sound-per-instrument arrangement.

The biggest problem in using the Prophet ’08 as a monophonic synthesizer is due to an actual flaw in the instrument: in the unison mode, it makes a nasty "click" sound in between notes when played in a legato style. This is especially true when using pulse width modulation. Recent operating system updates have improved this problem, but it still requires a bit of finessing in order to entirely hide it.

This problem annoyed me for a while, so that I had given up on the Prophet 08's monophonic abilities. But I've finally figured out a way around it. Nothing brilliant here, I realize, but I thought I'd mention it for others who may not have entirely resolved the problem or who are using an older OS.

First, when using "Unison Mode," select only the "1 Voice" setting; avoid the "All Voices" settings if you can. Second, when using pulse width modulation, leave the "Key Sync" button off, so that the pulse width isn't retriggered every time you strike a note. These two techniques alone eliminate much of the clicking problem. If you want to improve the sound even more, then add an amount of glide, extend the attack time, and shorten the release time.  These last two settings will avoid notes from running into each other.

The final touch that will put a once-and-for-all stop to the clicking sound is only possible when the music allows for it: a detached playing technique.  Certain patches require this anyway, such as when you want to articulate notes somewhat like a violinist.  A slower attack and a complete cessation of sound before the next note strike will entirely resolve the problem.  A generous amount of reverb will smoothen out the musical line and keep the melody from sounding overly detached.

I've found the monophonic sound produced by this setting to be perfectly satisfactory, allowing the Prophet ’08 to double as an excellent monophonic synthesizer.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:35:57 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: Sound Design: Using the Prophet '08 as a Monophonic Synthesizer
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 01:57:04 AM »
Great post!

I've tried to use my P08 as a monophonic synthesizer, but having a few of those here makes it redundant. In the end, I've learned to treat the P08 as polyphonic synth only - yes, part of it is because the clicking noises - I also hate unison sounds (maybe except a few basses here and there). The other poorly implemented feature for monosounds inside the 08 is oscillator sync - it lacks the brutality and detail found in some of the other synthesizers I have and used.

In comparison with other gear I have, I would say that the P08 is a really mid-class mono - all of my dedicated monos sound better than it. That is not the same as saying that the Prophet 08 isn't capable of convincing monophonic sounds. A really good example of this is the Tom Sawyer preset - that is a great sounding monophonic duet coming from the 08.

Some of your tips I've discovered on my own, others I'll have to try. Split mode for monophonic is actually pretty good indeed, and so is the sequencer - making rythmic or melodic sequences inside the P08 is a very good way to have some fun while using a bunch of other stuff together and just playing along.
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 06:29:52 AM »
Personaly I don't see why a monosynth would need more than three octaves to be honest... Leads and basses are the main territory of monosynths, and it´s rare that you use more than three octaves for leads and basses... of course it's nice to have for a split setup, but if you split a 5 octave keyboard, then you end up with less than 3 octaves per sound anyway, so what's the point?

Of course this is my personal opinion, and I wil not say that just because I don't need more keys on a monosynth, that everyone else also can live with three octaves, I just have a hard time seeing myself using that many keys with monophonic sounds, unless I wanted to use the same keyboard as a master-keyboard for other synths... particularely polysynths.... in that case, 5 octaves is an absolute minimum for me.

Though... I'd never use the P08 as a monosynth for bass... it does not have the raw character like for example, a MOOG... But then again... it depends on what you want with a monosynth... I'd want one for bass and leads, maybe the occational SFX or ARP sequenced sound.

I still have not found my monosynth yet though... but I'm pretty certain it'll be either a MOOG Sub37, or even a Mother32, though the later does not have a keyboard... but then again... my studio workflow is significantly different to AO's so it's probably not even worth comparing anyway  :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 06:42:55 AM »
I frequently need a five-octave keyboard for melody purposes, so obviously it comes down to the type of music you make.  The split keyboard feature is excellent for those melodies or bass lines that have a more limited range, so I'm not saying that a five-octave keyboard is always necessary.  But it's ideal to have it there when you need it.

As for the Mother 32, beware of one thing: I've noticed repeatedly in videos that its keyboard tracking is poor.  I don't know if users have set it this way purposely or carelessly, but within one octave the tuning is noticeably off.  Octave leaps sound terribly out of tune.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:35:31 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 06:56:29 AM »
I'll keep an eye out for problems regarding the Mother32... I was not aware of any tracking problems, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out by searching the net... others must have written something about it.... besides, I'm most likely getting a Sub37, because it has preset storage... my main concern about the Sub37 is that it's a keyboard... I really don't need more keyboards to take up space in my allready cramped studio, which will only get even more cramped when I move to a smaller appartment in the future... but I have this fealing MOOG will never make this in rack format, so I'll just have to think it over.... maybe they will make another rack/tabletop synth in the future that will suit me better... if I have not bought the 37 before that of course...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:58:01 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »
As long as the tuning issue is linear it shouldn't be a problem, there will bet a pot somewhere to adjust it.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 05:10:04 AM »
A really good example of this is the Tom Sawyer preset - that is a great sounding monophonic duet coming from the 08.

This (the MiniMoog side) is definitely my favorite monophonic preset. I was editing it last night and was surprised to notice that it only makes use of one of the oscillators; it's mixed so that we only hear one. I mixed the other one in and was again surprised that it didn't improve the thickness of the sound, like it does when you add a second or third oscillator to a similar sound on a MiniMoog. I'll have to experiment with that more.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 10:05:31 AM »
I had a breakthrough with the popping issue this morning. For a week or two, I've been working on a lead sound for "Come Sail Away" and have been really annoyed by the popping when I stacked my sound; I was delighted with the patch when stacked until I got up to the top several notes. I was working with Sacred Synthesis's suggestions and found his suggestion to use a 1 voice setting to be the ticket. (The other suggestions didn't help for this particular patch.) But of course, 1 voice is far less satisfying for a monophonic lead sound. So I experimented with duplicating the sound onto the B layer, which thickened the sound but also elicited the pop. I kept experimenting with the B layer and eventually found that altering the speed of the Glide did the trick. I now have the glide of Layer B set 5 higher than layer A, and this small change removed the annoying pop.

In order to thicken up the patch (with two voices it's still not as thick as stacked mode), I turned on Sync on both layers and reversed the detuning of the Oscillators: Patch A has Oscillator 1 at 3 and Oscillator 2 at -3, and Patch B has Oscillator 1 at -3 and Oscillator 2 at 3. I'm now very happy with the thickness and have no pops.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Using the Prophet '08 as a Monophonic Synthesizer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 12:39:19 PM »
I can't confirm this, but others have said that the last P'08 OS update made meaningful improvements in the "clicking" problem.  Does anybody here know firsthand?

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 09:03:58 AM »
I can't confirm this, but others have said that the last P'08 OS update made meaningful improvements in the "clicking" problem.  Does anybody here know firsthand?

I can try for you tonight. I'll check the operating system (the latest is v2.3/v1.5) and try to play legato in unison. Is there any particular patch or type of patch that shows the bad behavior well?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
The worst clicking always came from a monophonic PWM patch.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 06:38:18 AM »
The worst clicking always came from a monophonic PWM patch.

I programmed a simple PWM patch with LFOs modulating the PW of each osc separately. When I turned on unison and played keys legato (letting go of a key after pressing the next one) I heard NO clicks through headphones. I have v2.3/v1.5. If I accidentally let go of the key before pressing the next one I got the attack phase of the envelopes.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
I think being fickle makes and keeps you miserable. 

Last night I was working on some monophonic patches on the Poly Evolver and Prophet '08 keyboards, thinking at the same time how I wish the Korg ARP Odyssey had been full-sized and pondering my lack of other mono classics as well.  Meanwhile, I'm sure the patch I was refining on the P'08 was every bit as good as I would ever want or need.  Yes, the Prophet '08 is a superb monophonic synthesizer, if only you apply yourself to it.  Good melodic lines and harmonic support, the right effects, a little EQ, and very careful programming, and you've got a superb sounding solo patch.  But you've got to exert yourself, be a bit inconvenienced, and take advantage of everything the instrument has to offer.  For example, using both pairs of stereo outputs, at the cost of a few mixer channels and some programming complications, produces a wonderfully wide ambient effect that leaves an ARP Odyssey miles behind.  Even using the sustain pedal jack, for example, so as to hold notes over from one musical section to another and tastefully bridge the two, serves the composer/performer superbly well.

The more I look around at other instruments, the more I appreciate the ones I already have.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:22:04 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:04 PM »
I love the '08 for monophonic sounds... unless I get the dreaded popping/clicking noise. Even as I have found ways of reducing it, sometimes I just can't get rid of it completely. That's really my only issue, and usually I can get it to a tolerable level. I'm delighted with the '08.

Having said that, I'm going to try for a Crowminius too. It seems like too good of a deal not to try it:
http://www.cs80.com/crowminius/

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 11:36:21 AM »
Next time the clicking gets to you, just pretend you've got a beautiful vintage mint condition mono synth.  if I remember correctly, the ARP Axxe and Odyssey, as well as the CAT SRM, were quite "clicky" as well.

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 02:23:18 AM »
Moinmoin,

although this probably won't really help, I second the opinion of Sacred Synthesis: "Character" is nothing else but another word for "imperfection". Remember the ancient greek myth of Psyche.

Playing bass for 35+ years I am very pedantic regarding the attack phase of sounds in general (as a bass player: where to pluck, use pick or finger or thumb in what peculiar way, ...). Your attack phase will heavily change microtiming to "ahead" or "laid back" even if You play exactly on the beat. That's why the most punk players use a pick BTW: It just feels faster.

All stringed instruments have a strong non-harmonic attack, as at the very moment they are plucked, bowed, or hammered, the string length doesn't determine the base frequency: The very position of plucking/bowing/hammering forces and defines node/antinode position. This will change as soon as the string is free, but definitely controls the attack phase and is the main reason for the mostly boring "guitar" or "piano" sounds of classical synths.

Fighting Your instrument's character (remember: imperfection) is never rewarding. Even though I must somewhat qualify this statement as a (somtimes double) bass player, it remains generally true.
Use the clicking to Your advantage or - if it really comes in Your way in making fine art and is not to cure - use another tool for that special purpose.

Martin

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 07:27:48 AM »
I would agree with Moinmoin, and would suggest the expression "unintended characteristics," rather than "imperfections."  Of course, all this within reason.  You don't want too much of these unintended characteristics, but a moderate amount is fine.  Countless instruments have them; for example, the pipe organ, harpsichord, oboe, and classical guitar each have sounds that the performer doesn't intend, and yet, these add to the charm and distinctiveness of the instrument.  So, a little "click" at the attack phase of the envelope of the Prophet '08 is not a problem, in my opinion, as long as it's subtle enough.  I would relegate it to one of the many analog qualities that are often taken up as desired features years later, such as the imperfect oscillator-keyboard tracking on a Minimoog.  As in "Slop."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:57:35 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 06:28:39 AM »
I guess that is the best perspective to take... given that I love the '08 in so many other ways. One of my favorite instruments is my Hammond C3, and it certainly has leakage noise and key click.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »
Now there's a relevant topic - the Hammond Organ.  Practically 50% of Hammond clone/imitation is directed towards perfecting such unintended characteristics.  Hammond perfectionists spare no effort in their quest for the most realistic reproduction of what are, in truth, the technological shortcomings of the 1940's and 50's.  The new Hammond XK-5 is only the latest example.

The same is certainly true for synthesizer.  Just consider Marc Doty's first video on the Pro 2.  I don't personally agree that these imperfections make the instrument more appealing or that they are the essence of the analog sound, but that's another debate.

https://youtu.be/S5qi6bi2Dtg?t=3m13s
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:40:40 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 08:42:14 AM »
If you think the Prophet '08 makes too much unwanted noise, then listen to this virginal recording.