Will we ever see another Roger Linn drum machine?

LoboLives

Will we ever see another Roger Linn drum machine?
« on: March 24, 2017, 11:26:53 PM »
I'm really on the fence about the Tempest. While I appreciate the depth of the machine, I almost think that it's almost a hindrance to it as well. I fear I'd only be using not even half of the machine's capabilities in my work. I'm also much more into traditional Linn Drum and DMX type sounds rather than synth ones. I'm wondering if we will ever see a new drum machine but with a more traditional interface like the LM-1. Not a lot of menus and with more sample type sounds. I am probably going to settle for the Alesis SR-16 for my work but I wonder if and when Roger comes out with a new drum machine if it's going to have a more streamlined interface as opposed to menu diving or covered in knobs.

Am I wrong in thinking that the LM-1, Linn Drum and DMX where actually samples of drums and percussion as opposed to actual synthesis?

Re: Will we ever see another Roger Linn drum machine?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 04:55:49 AM »
How about: https://www.elektron.se/products/digitakt/

"Quite" cheap and simple, good sequencer but no song mode.

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 09:47:02 AM »
How about: https://www.elektron.se/products/digitakt/

"Quite" cheap and simple, good sequencer but no song mode.

Yeah that's a bummer.

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »
I'm not sure how but looking at the LM-1 and Linn Drum and the Prophet 6 module...I think something like this can be made. For example the clock section on the P6 module could easily be placed on it perhaps with an additional swing knob. Now with the LFO section on the module...replace that area with the pads of the Tempest. Perhaps above that is a Amp section where you can adjust the attack and release of each sound as well as individual effect (with a similar effects area of the module)  Simply hold the pad and click an "Edit" button and adjust the sound accordingly. The record area has three methods of input: Real time, step and overdub. The patch section of the module could be where you choose kits, sounds and beats. The unison and glide buttons would be replaced with these names and you simply double click them and scroll through the patch sections. I would also add a mixer section much like the Linn Drum/LM-1 or DMX machines. Just a very basic, no menu drum machine. There must be a way to create something like this.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:36:52 AM »
Analogue filters are the way to go, with decent-sized buttons and pads–think SP-12, Fairlight CMI, or Linn drum machines. (Or the Tempest!)

Much as the sound of the OP-Z seems appealing, it's just too physically small IMHO for the price (over here, anyway).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:38:25 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:04:44 AM »
Analogue filters are the way to go, with decent-sized buttons and pads–think SP-12, Fairlight CMI, or Linn drum machines. (Or the Tempest!)

Much as the sound of the OP-Z seems appealing, it's just too physically small IMHO for the price (over here, anyway).

Yeah I'll probably get the Tempest myself but I was thinking it would be nice to have a drum machine with a simple layout and sample based as opposed to synthesis based and with a simple layout as opposed to an OLD display and menu diving.

I'm actually shocked that there's been no Linn Drum or DMX clones through all these years.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »

Do you have a price for the OP-Z then?

I haven't managed to find any info on what the pricing might be.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »

I don't, but I anticipate it to be at least as expensive as the OP-1, if not more so. Who knows? It may grow on me as time goes on.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:43 PM »
OK, got you.

I must admit I'll get one the moment they come available whatever the price.

The sequencer reminds me of the Octopus/Nemo sequencer (without all the buttons!) and that can only be a good thing. The limiting thing seems to be that only 4 drum sounds can play at the same time, hopefully it can sequence other things via midi as well...

Peter Hanes

• Evolver, PolyEvolver
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 07:10:12 AM »

I don't, but I anticipate it to be at least as expensive as the OP-1, if not more so. Who knows? It may grow on me as time goes on.

The only clue about the price of the OP-Z that TE have given is that it will be less than that of the OP-1.