Your Music

Re: Your Music
« Reply #880 on: April 20, 2023, 06:42:08 PM »
For reasons unknown to me, I have The Lift on VHS. Curious!

CPN37

« Reply #881 on: April 21, 2023, 01:45:15 PM »
I have a new single out, "2039 (EarthPercent Mix)", released as part of Brian Eno's charity EarthPercent's Earth Day 2023 fundraiser.

If you see this, please do give the EarthPercent Bandcamp a visit https://earthpercent.bandcamp.com, the Earth Day 2023 Compilation Album includes specially donated tracks by Brian Eno, Michael Stipe, Dry Cleaning, Nile Rodgers...and me amongst others! The money you spend on the track (or the full Compilation Album) will go to EarthPercent’s Grant Giving Fund, supporting organisations across the globe on the forefront of fighting the climate crisis.

"2039" started off on the Prophet 5 Rev 4, it's doing the main chord sequence on there. There's also Pro-One, ARP Pro Soloist, Juno 60 synth bass, and Mellotron. Foz Foster (The Monochrome Set) also contributes hammered dulcimer and musical saw (every track needs one).

You can find "2039 (EarthPercent Mix)" on my own Bandcamp too, and if you like it please do give me a follow on Bandcamp:
https://nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com/track/2039-earthpercent-mix

And here's the lyric video:

Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

« Reply #882 on: April 21, 2023, 02:17:36 PM »
For reasons unknown to me, I have The Lift on VHS. Curious!

You know you are the fourth person to tell me this. I had someone on Facebook say that despite not being into horror at all, nor even having a VCR....they have The Lift on VHS in their attic...no other tapes...just that one. They hadn’t even seen it. Seems like it’s some type of strange phenomenon.

« Reply #883 on: April 23, 2023, 11:03:00 AM »
This "byte choice" song is a somewhat industrial track.  I put a short Intro sample track here too so you can see what instrument is doing what.

example:
Phobos Red Square, Vermona MK2, B 2600
https://soundcloud.com/wavescape-1/intro-samples

Song:
https://soundcloud.com/wavescape-1/byte-choice

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #884 on: April 28, 2023, 01:48:18 PM »
Was in the studio this past weekend with the dogs and I wanted to try a more ambient track. Although the title and video are based on the 1985 film Confessions Of A Serial Killer, it's not a cover of William Penn's awesome DX7 based score....instead it actually sounds distinctly more early 90s. Almost reminds me of the score for Skinner by Contagion.

Anyway, the Prophet X is doing everything. All I used where the "Cinematic" and "Ambience" sample categories. Atmospheric voices and textures and dark pulses flood the piece. The only other samples I used were reversed piano strikes that were looping.

The dialogue is from an interview with serial killer Henry Lee Lucas taken from the intro to Impetigo's classic track "Boneyard". Hope you enjoy!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #885 on: May 05, 2023, 05:44:20 AM »

Hey all! When I was in the studio last I managed to crank out a cover of Erica Portnoy's awesome score for the 1988 flick Flesheater: Revenge Of The Living Dead.

I'm not 100% sure of what Erica used (Although there is an interview on the new Vinegar Syndrome Blu Ray which I still need to pick up) the ending credits thank "Oberheim" so I'm assuming there's either an analog Oberheim synth or drum machine or both in there.

For this cover the Prophet X is handling an old upright piano, some wind and rain effects and unhearthly voices.

The Prophet 6 is handling all the rumbling pads.

The ISLA S2400 is really the star of the show. Not only is it handling all the drum machine sounds (Done using Oberheim DMX samples) but it's also sequencing everything as well.

Hope you enjoy!
© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #886 on: May 19, 2023, 05:38:54 AM »
You can thank my girlfriend for this. She's had to endure countless hours of synth samples and soundtracks blaring in our apartment. This is one track I've played often (be it in it's original form or remixes from other artists) and she said "Why don't you just cover it?"

To tell you the truth, I'm shocked I haven't covered this one after all this time.

Continuing on from my Witchboard track, I did the entire cover using the Tempest. This time I only used one overdub (the strings) while the main theme was done entirely on the Tempest in real time. Overall, I think it turned out really well and shows how underrated the Tempest is as a compositional tool.

Fun Fact: Carpenter based this theme on the riff from Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song.

Hope you enjoy!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #887 on: May 30, 2023, 06:14:11 AM »
Hey all! Here is the soundtrack to the film Manhattan Zodiac '77 from Astra United and Bounty Films.

You can read more about the film here
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14909188/

Big thank you to director Hedwig Schreck who gave me the opportunity to score in a genre of film that I'm a big fan of. She asked me to approach the music similar to that of 1970s library music (similar to CAM or KPM Libraries). Only a few queues and a bunch of stingers that she could repeat and pepper in through the film.

The Prophet X and the ISLA S2400 handled all the work. I didn't use any traditional synth or drum machine sounds at all but rooted the music distinctly in the 1970s style (Acoustic drums and percussion, electric bass, flute and organ). According to Severed Cinema I did quite well:

"The soundtrack is also another big part of the movie’s aesthetic. Composed by Everett Dudgeon, I believe he nailed it here by delivering an authentic level of what you would actually hear from this type of film were it made in the projected time period of the ‘70s."

https://severed-cinema.com/manhattan-zodiac-77-review-from-astra-united-and-bounty-films/?fbclid=IwAR1-fe1_wQft4kgE1yQeIoSRzO3r8GH9YEJju0gdAIqRLiUGPFHnlJ8XJbM

Hope everyone enjoys!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #888 on: June 03, 2023, 04:32:56 PM »

"The soundtrack is also another big part of the movie’s aesthetic. Composed by Everett Dudgeon, I believe he nailed it here by delivering an authentic level of what you would actually hear from this type of film were it made in the projected time period of the ‘70s."

Hope everyone enjoys!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

That's great man, In the little American towns where I came from we said not "Take it sleazy" but sometime or other I must have heard somebody say "take 'er sleazy". 

https://www.bitchute.com/video/6T4Pft79b7v5/
A little psychedelic synth, played with the drums at times and other times played with and fiddled with knobs.  I only upload to Bitchute. 
video description follows:
For anyone who think my music always too busy like i do, this me playing drum and synth only
This is the Prophet, and a lot of good prophet dial turning here more than you will see on the youtube channels of some guys.  More like, for anyone who would be interested in something I would.  You would think there would be more people interested in this, and maybe they are out there.  I think it's not a matter of finding this niche, more a problem of finding people with equipment, vision, and skills to actually build such a machine as I have.  So no, you probably won't find anyone else with the scripts to do this, the artistic vision (mostly you see knobs making pop or other fascist music based on the 4/4 time signature) or the stamina.  I remain standing alone another year. Anyway, this is some serious Prophet dial turning, I made almost 30 presets yesterday while filming this Drum practice in OBS.  You die hard synth psychedelia listeners audiophiles, and lovers can benefit. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 04:39:22 PM by 558 »
Prophet 10, 0692
Ryzen 3900XT 12/24
Studio One
iPhone 5s Moog Model D via bluetooths of Reface Looper or Xkeys, Arturia Beatstep Pro w/Roland System 1m, Roland JP08, Roland TD17s as drums &->Prophet 10, Oxygen 8v2->Prophet, Akai Adv 25 or Launchey arps->Prophet10 or any all VSTs.

« Reply #889 on: June 05, 2023, 09:33:16 AM »
Hey all! I've wanted to cover this classic Carpenter theme for a while and last week I decided to give it a shot.

I didn't want to do a 1x1 cover of the original but my own variation on it. There's nods to the original "From New York" version as well as the more rock oriented "From L.A." version but I really think this has it's own flavor and as such I've decided to do this as sort of an unmade sequel version "Escape From D.C."

All the sounds you are hearing are 100% Prophet X. No user samples but all factory content. I used some of my own patches but also some factory presets as well. Synth piano, electric guitar, and bass orchestral strings, sound effects and three sets of drums (Disco Kit, Techno Kit, Zeus Kit)

I didn't credit it because no sounds were used but everything was sequenced from the ISLA S2400 believe it or not. I find the sequencing on the S2400 so easy (Although I do wish there was some fixes in the Step Sequencing mode). I essentially just made a song using the dedicated MIDI tracks and synced it to my DAW with about 5-6 passes using the same sequences but different patches. Worked like a charm.

There was an awesome mock poster for Escape From D.C. I found online. I'm not sure of the artist but I would like to give them credit (leave a comment if you know who did it)

Anyway Enjoy!

℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #890 on: June 05, 2023, 10:22:03 AM »
Hey all! Here is the soundtrack to the film Manhattan Zodiac '77 from Astra United and Bounty Films.

Big thank you to director Hedwig Schreck who gave me the opportunity to score in a genre of film that I'm a big fan of. She asked me to approach the music similar to that of 1970s library music (similar to CAM or KPM Libraries). Only a few queues and a bunch of stingers that she could repeat and pepper in through the film.

The Prophet X and the ISLA S2400 handled all the work. I didn't use any traditional synth or drum machine sounds at all but rooted the music distinctly in the 1970s style (Acoustic drums and percussion, electric bass, flute and organ). According to Severed Cinema I did quite well:

https://severed-cinema.com/manhattan-zodiac-77-review-from-astra-united-and-bounty-films/?fbclid=IwAR1-fe1_wQft4kgE1yQeIoSRzO3r8GH9YEJju0gdAIqRLiUGPFHnlJ8XJbM

Hope everyone enjoys!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

Thought I was watching that old TV show SWAT on first track.    Good 70's vibe throughout.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #891 on: June 05, 2023, 10:58:43 AM »

Hope everyone enjoys!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

Thought I was watching that old TV show SWAT on first track.    Good 70's vibe throughout.

Thanks!

It seemed the 70s scores were really focussed on percussion. I think it was likely due to the rise in funk and experimental jazz.

« Reply #892 on: June 14, 2023, 11:38:23 AM »
Hey all! Just something short and simple for this entry. I sadly missed out on the awesome AGFA Attack Of The Beast Creatures (I'll get it eventually) but I wanted to pay tribute to the synthy score for it.

I have no idea what was used on the original but for this I only used the Prophet 6.

I added some onboard analog distortion to the patch to mimic the low-fi/lo budget feel of the film. I also added some onboard Bucket Brigade Delay and thick Phaser effects.

Hope you enjoy!

℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #893 on: June 27, 2023, 09:42:25 AM »
Hey all. This week I wanted to try and do a cover of a composer who I think is hugely underrated, Al Festa. His scores for Robowar and Zombi 4: After Death are absolutely incredible.

According to Festa, the gear used on the scores was
Roland D50
Akai S900 Sampler
Minimoog
Steinway Grand Piano
Roland MSQ700 Sequencer.

For this cover I used both the ISLA S2400 and Prophet X together. I used the S2400 as more than just a typical drum machine. I noticed that ISLA Instruments themselves have started to refer to the machine as a "Desktop Sampling Workstation" and it really is. A lot of factory S2400 samples are used from the internal library as well as a few user samples. It's handling most of the sounds you are hearing save for the choir sound, string sound and some orchestral hits.

As Robowar is clearly inspired by Predator, Al Festa also used some sound effects from the "Predator Vision" in the score as well and I did the same here.

Hope you enjoy!

℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #894 on: July 11, 2023, 03:11:37 PM »
I finally ended up watch Amazonia: The Catherine Miles (aka White Slave) story the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This isn't a cover of Franco Campanino's beautiful score for the film, I decided to do a completely original track which is heavily inspired by the mid to late 80s Italian Cannibal soundtracks. Earlier films like Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox utilized a blend of orchestral and Latin style pieces with dark passages from synths like the ARP Solina or Polymoog. The later era of films incorporated more synthesizers (DX7, various drum machines) into their sound pallet while still retaining that blend of styles.

The ISLA S2400 isn't just doing all the heavy drums and percussion (samples from a Roland R8 Drum machine) but it's also sequencing the Prophet X as well which is doing the acoustic guitar, DX7 Electric Piano and female vocals (run through a rotating speaker effect). I also added a nice M1 Universe part at the end (Obviously a more early 90s type sound but I thought it worked)

My girlfriend has been kicking my ass to get back into the studio so I ended up getting a ton of stuff done over the past couple days which I'll be posting over the next few weeks.

Not only has my girlfriend been integral into motivating me to get back into the studio and create but she's also starting to get into music production herself and she's producing some excellent stuff thus far and has hugely inspired me.

Hope you enjoy. Plenty more to come.

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #895 on: July 18, 2023, 07:04:33 AM »
I wanted to get back into doing more orchestral oriented pieces recently so I did a few tracks while I was at the studio.

I always have a difficult time writing this type of music because I often find myself debating "should I add another instrument or keep it simple?".

I will have to sit down and revisit some of my favorite soundtracks and composers doing this style (Ronald Stein, Les Baxter, Nicholas Carras, Albert Glasser etc) and get some of their techniques down.

Although I did take inspiration from Waldo de los Ríos' score for the 1971 version of Murders In The Rue Morgue, it's not a direct cover at all and the ending melody is completely my own. Strings, bells, harp glissandos, pianos, cymbal rolls, brass swells are all done from the Prophet X.

I'm happy how it turned out but more than anything, it's a good starting off point for me to really start to focus on this style of music again. I would love to be able to incorporate MPE style techniques in my work (be it from a Linnstrument or from something like the Push 3) but I have no funds for that right now so t's a great opportunity to re-learn this music as opposed to learning a new instrument.

Hope you enjoy!

© Everett Dudgeon 2023
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

« Reply #896 on: July 19, 2023, 11:20:32 AM »
Lobo Lives, well the PX is well-suited for this orchestral need.  I had tossed around the Prophet X idea for a long time, just because I would prefer a hardware sampler in a traditional keyboard format more than the numerous "checkerboard" button devices that are out there.  Wish there was more music posted for such a neat instrument.

« Reply #897 on: July 21, 2023, 07:23:03 AM »
Lobo Lives, well the PX is well-suited for this orchestral need.  I had tossed around the Prophet X idea for a long time, just because I would prefer a hardware sampler in a traditional keyboard format more than the numerous "checkerboard" button devices that are out there.  Wish there was more music posted for such a neat instrument.

Indeed. I do think there is some interest getting peeked on the PX with videos by Essen Kraft and Starsky Carr. Even Chris from Novation said it feels like it’s a “sleeper”.

I’m doing my best to try and showcase the versatility of the synth. From emulating things like the D50 or Prophet VS to doing lol fi style sampling sounds to doing cinematic tones and Orchestral work to just a simple piano or organ sound. I don’t know if I’m succeeding but I do intend to focus on this style of music more as opposed to synth style stuff...perhaps a combination of both? 

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #898 on: July 21, 2023, 07:29:12 AM »
Being a, maybe obsessive, fan of the Pro 3, I'd love to hear some analog-only patches from the PX.
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #899 on: July 21, 2023, 12:59:54 PM »
Being a, maybe obsessive, fan of the Pro 3, I'd love to hear some analog-only patches from the PX.

I actually think that’s was one of the factors that hurt the PX initially...a lot of the demos just focused on standard synth type sounds and it totally devalued the PX’s sonic capabilities. Even the add on packs from 8 Dio....like do we really need another sawtooth wave? I really only use the synth engine to beef up the foundation under a sample or use a sine wave to FM a sampled instrument (I found this actually emulates a flutter tongue effect on trumpets).

Nah. I can’t help you with that unfortunately. Although there are demos online showcasing Prophet 5, OBX, Jupiter, Moog, ARP samples. 

Even when I’m doing synth type sounds I use the sampled synths that 8 has on board like “Sawtooth Ensemble” or “Pulse Ensemble”. It gives the sound a very static, low budget type feel which I love.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 01:10:51 PM by LoboLives »