Your Music

Re: Your Music
« Reply #520 on: February 23, 2020, 07:22:52 AM »
This is all done using the Novation Summit.  I've spent the last few weeks familiarizing myself with it.  About half the patches used are factory patches and the rest are my own.  The opening scene is a cool sound effect (factory patch) for a sci-fi song. The weird voices are aided by the digital wave shapes labeled as such.  All onboard effects.   Has a Stellardrone influence at the beginning using the appeggiator, then goes into some of my usual voices and pads.

https://soundcloud.com/wavescape-1/outpost-light-year
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #521 on: February 23, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »
A nice assortment of sounds and music, Soundquest.  On the steely side.  And some beautiful chord progressions.  How would you compare the Summit's pad quality to the Prophet 12's?

LoboLives

« Reply #522 on: February 23, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »
https://youtu.be/CXOYQD3q1mE

Following up on my Death Ship video. This is my second installment in my final Moog Sub 37 series. One more video and then I'll put it up for sale.

Toronto had a pretty cold winter so I decided we should heat things up with a cover of Richard Einhorn's score for one of my favorite flicks, Don't Go In The House.

Lots of low monophonic drones and filter sweeps as well as some softer melodies. I'm positive Richard used the same synths he did on Shock Waves: Korg Maxikorg and Korg Minikorg.

Richard's wonderful score was just released by Waxworks records and I urge you to check it out...

https://waxworkrecords.com/products/d...

Crank this baby up! Mother says you can play your music loud!

« Reply #523 on: February 24, 2020, 02:07:25 PM »
A nice assortment of sounds and music, Soundquest.  On the steely side.  And some beautiful chord progressions.  How would you compare the Summit's pad quality to the Prophet 12's?

Thanks Sacred Synthesis.  Nothing really struck me just yet -specifically as far as if I can make a better pad sound here or there.  I say "not yet", because I think I need more time.  I want  to go back to the P12 after playing with the Summit for three weeks now and get a fresh perspective.   As a happy P12 owner going into this purchase I knew the Summit would have many overlaps with the P12.  But, I was really looking for a slightly different sound in addition to a few features I desire.  Such as... I liked the ease of layering prospects on the Summit, along with the ring mod, more wave shapes and the effects looked enticing.   As Razmo was mentioning, the oscillators really do stay tack sharp on the high end avoiding aliasing.   They are indeed very "exact" but, like on the P12, there are slop parameters available (what they call "divergence").  This can makes a noticeable difference in the overall warmth.   There's a couple of factory pads that are really quite nice.  I think I'll be able to make some really nice pads eventually, but just like the P12 , it took me a little time to find the sweet spot. 

My only complaint so far (besides a stiff aftertouch) is that I'm not a huge fan of pre- routed lfo's to filter or pitch.  They do this on the Summit, and its that way on the Deepmind as well, and its just plain annoying to me.  Seems I'm always looking for a buried lfo effect to turn off.   Let me route my darn lfo's where I want too!  For that, I'm grateful to Sequential for leaving an open slate on the mod matrix in this regard. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #524 on: February 24, 2020, 11:20:46 PM »

« Reply #525 on: February 25, 2020, 03:15:20 AM »
Sacred Synthesis - I was perhaps thrown off by the image of the waterfall and expecting a slice of tonal bliss! A lovely piece, as always, but with some rather ominous elements. A nice surprise. (And, a nice sales pitch for the 08, a synth - in Rev2 form - I keep giving a fresh ear to whenever I'm in the music store...)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #526 on: February 25, 2020, 03:51:22 AM »
Thanks, Ant.  If you could have seen the whole area, you'd appreciate where the "ominous" came from.  When civilization decays, it often looks more menacing then nature in all its wildness.

One thing I really like about the P'08/Rev2 design is the location of the modulation wheels.  I never could have made this piece if they were in the usual place to the left of the keyboard.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 04:01:26 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #527 on: February 25, 2020, 06:16:08 AM »
Thanks, Ant.  If you could have seen the whole area, you'd appreciate where the "ominous" came from.  When civilization decays, it often looks more menacing then nature in all its wildness.

One thing I really like about the P'08/Rev2 design is the location of the modulation wheels.  I never could have made this piece if they were in the usual place to the left of the keyboard.

Funny, but the photos are saying "serene" - it's quite a lovely scene you've captured. The music has a tone that must be in the photos you're not posting!

I don't even remember where the wheels on the Rev2 are - I'm assuming they're upper left, above the keyboard (sorry, "keybed" as the kids are all sayin'!)?

« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2020, 05:12:51 AM »
It's cool that there's been an uptick of posts in the Your Music thread. I've been busy with a new track that seems fit for sharing. It's all Prophet 6 (plus drum machine and vox). I tried Pro One for bass but - gasp - I found the P6 to be the right guy for the gig. I think the song is in a presentable place, but I can imagine new lyrics/vocals and an edited arrangement with perhaps a few further bells and whistles. There's a vocoder waiting at my GF's, and that's got to be on a track like this. Etc. For now, it's fresh and it's all Prophet 6! Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/anton-barbeau/my-dirty-animal-early-version-13

« Reply #529 on: February 26, 2020, 08:44:55 AM »

Ant,

That synth part reminds me of early Devo synth sound, which is a good thing.   Hey, I gotta agree with you on Sacred Synthesis's waterfall throwing us for a loop  :D   But I really like the sounds he pulled out of the PO8 at 2:40. 

Guys,

Probably blasphemous for me to say here, but I recently sold my P08. Don't kick me outta the forum ;)  I still have my P12, Pro 2, OB6 and PEK and they aren't going anywhere.      Actually selling it was sort of sad, being it was my first "real" synth.  I found I just wasn't using it much anymore and I needed the room quite frankly.    Seems like ages ago, but I'll never forget the anticipation waiting for the UPS driver to show up with the PO8.  It took a month because it got lost in shipment!   Anyway... I had a Korg R3 and Novation K station at the time, so PO8 taught me about analog.  I sold the Korg like a month later because it sounded so thin to me ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #530 on: February 26, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »
Aw, come on now, fellas.  As strange as it might have seemed, that sample and hold effect represented the rocks tumbling down the ravine.  Okay, so maybe I went too far with it.... :-[ 

My next piece will be all white noise.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:17:39 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »

Ant,

That synth part reminds me of early Devo synth sound, which is a good thing.   Hey, I gotta agree with you on Sacred Synthesis's waterfall throwing us for a loop  :D   But I really like the sounds he pulled out of the PO8 at 2:40. 

Guys,

Probably blasphemous for me to say here, but I recently sold my P08. Don't kick me outta the forum ;)  I still have my P12, Pro 2, OB6 and PEK and they aren't going anywhere.      Actually selling it was sort of sad, being it was my first "real" synth.  I found I just wasn't using it much anymore and I needed the room quite frankly.    Seems like ages ago, but I'll never forget the anticipation waiting for the UPS driver to show up with the PO8.  It took a month because it got lost in shipment!   Anyway... I had a Korg R3 and Novation K station at the time, so PO8 taught me about analog.  I sold the Korg like a month later because it sounded so thin to me ;D

Funny, but I just got back into DEVO last month, not kidding. In the midst of "nothing but acid folk from 1971" kick, I  found a DEVO greatest hits CD in an antique shop for $3 and thought, well, this will last a spin or two. Instead, my girlfriend and I became obsessed, so perhaps no surprise the synth tones rubbed off. I really love their tight, clean bass patches especially. My nickname in high school was Mothersbaugh Spud, it has to be said!

I miss my R3, I *think*. It had a few really nice patches, like the string synth and Wurli-ish thing. I brought it to a band gig and it just didn't fly, sonically, though, and thus I sold it. It did have some odd charm, though, but doesn't ANY synth?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:13:46 AM by Ant of 12047 »

« Reply #532 on: February 26, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »
Aw, come on now, fellas.  As strange as it might have seemed, that sample and hold effect represented the rocks tumbling down the ravine.  Okay, so maybe I went too far with it.... :-[ 

My next piece will be all white noise.

Dare ya! (Seriously, I've wanted to try that, but the best laid plans of white noise mice etc...)

« Reply #533 on: February 27, 2020, 09:14:47 AM »

Ant,

Guys,

Funny, but I just got back into DEVO last month, not kidding. In the midst of "nothing but acid folk from 1971" kick, I  found a DEVO greatest hits CD in an antique shop for $3 and thought, well, this will last a spin or two. Instead, my girlfriend and I became obsessed, so perhaps no surprise the synth tones rubbed off. I really love their tight, clean bass patches especially. My nickname in high school was Mothersbaugh Spud, it has to be said!

I miss my R3, I *think*. It had a few really nice patches, like the string synth and Wurli-ish thing. I brought it to a band gig and it just didn't fly, sonically, though, and thus I sold it. It did have some odd charm, though, but doesn't ANY synth?

Some good talent came out of Kent Ohio, which is just down the road from me.  They're having a 50 year anniversary of the Kent State shootings there in May.  I'm sure devo will be one of the bands there.   

The R3 was bi-timbral and some nice patches were in there as you said.  I didn't really know much about how to program a synth yet when I had that.  I sold it and picked up a used Roland SH211 which was perfect for learning the basics.

LoboLives

« Reply #534 on: March 18, 2020, 02:42:10 PM »
https://youtu.be/LfKvwGfav2Y

This was all done using the Prophet VS waves in the Prophet X. In fact I’m actually using a few factory patches such as “Wavetable E.P.” And “Wave Strummer”. I programmed the classic Prophet VS choir patch as well as a Vector Synthesis string sound (with LFOs fading in and out two Prophet VS Wavetables and the PX’s own oscillators set to square waves. 

The drums are all Tempest using the Sequential TOM samples but also the arpeggiated rhythm is all done using an onboard Prophet VS wave.

LoboLives

« Reply #535 on: March 21, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »
There are some really fantastic underrated synth scores for some obscure films out there and John Ross's score for the 80s department store slasher Hide And Go Shriek is no exception. Have no idea what John used but it sounds like it might be an Emulator or some type of sampler with an analog synth.
Breakdown of the instruments:

Sequential Prophet-X: Low fi horn/string sample (modified from the factory 8Dio samples) and timpani hits and rolls (from an imported User Sample)

Sequential Prophet-6: Slurpy brass.

Tempest Drum Computer: Almost a hip hop style beat on a "909 Kit" with a low analog bass line pumping behind it.

Enjoy!
℗ Everett Dudgeon 2020

https://youtu.be/59JKdemUPlA

« Reply #536 on: March 26, 2020, 01:28:01 PM »
Some more weird voices from the Modor NF1.  The Vermona MK2 is the main sequence, Percussion Korg EMX.  As a sequence, it drones on a bit,  but its interesting if you're curious what the Modor can do with making human-like sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/wavescape-1/if-you-feel

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #537 on: March 26, 2020, 03:00:20 PM »
What a weird group of friends you have there, Soundquest!  Is it the local accent.  ??? 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:05:35 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #538 on: March 26, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »
Some more weird voices from the Modor NF1.  The Vermona MK2 is the main sequence, Percussion Korg EMX.  As a sequence, it drones on a bit,  but its interesting if you're curious what the Modor can do with making human-like sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/wavescape-1/if-you-feel

Groovy, innit! I'm sat staring out a farm window on a very grey day. Perfect soundtrack, and I'm a fan of "drones on a bit..."

« Reply #539 on: March 26, 2020, 06:50:47 PM »
I released this 3 track ep a few weeks ago. Used my prophet 6 for all the chord progressions!

https://soundcloud.com/noticeom/sets/run-away