Your Music

jok3r

Re: Your Music
« Reply #360 on: November 01, 2018, 03:39:12 AM »
I can't even watch the video in Germany.   >:(
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LoboLives

« Reply #361 on: November 01, 2018, 07:12:38 AM »
I can't even watch the video in Germany.   >:(

It’s also censored in the UK, Italy and other places apparently.

« Reply #362 on: November 02, 2018, 05:06:11 PM »
I couldn't find a sample of this anywhere so I had to settle for a Hitler Speech...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvrpPOlz9VE

Never words I thought I'd come across on the Sequential forum. Huh. Your dedication is impressive, credit due, but I'd encourage further efforts towards finding a sample from the film or faking your own foley etc. The whole "Hitler thing" is deeply uncool, to put it gently! I'm not familiar with the film you're paying tribute to, admittedly, so I don't know if there's a point I'm missing, but if you ever pay homage to the Wicker Man, say, I'll definitely give that a click.

Mods - if I'm out of line with this, I apologize, and I'll understand if you delete my reply here.

Well the video was flagged anyway lol

I don’t think you are out of line at all, you simply are curious what a real life tragedy has to do with a synth video. The film Shock Waves is a 70s cult film staring Peter Cushing and John Carradine. It is about a group of people who are shipwrecked on an island and stumble upon a desolate SS battleship. They end up waking up the cargo, which in this case happens to be immortal underwater SS super soldiers. The whole movie is on YouTube as are it’s trailers and the soundtrack just got remastered and released on vinyl.

Not much I can do about the origin of the underwater super soldiers I’m afraid. Even the opening title has a swastika on it and as I said the soundtrack does have a lot of Third Reich sound effects so I just take it as part of the film. Much like how I look at real life serial killer Henry Lee Lucas talking about killing his mother as part of the film Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (video I posted before Shock Waves). It just comes with the territory with these types of films.

Like I said, I've not seen the film, but I'm sure it's a fine piece of schlock. I'm a pretty broad-minded film freak, and often come home from the video store with about 5 or 6 titles in hand, anything from Maya Deren to  Wes Craven. It was probably one (or more!) of your posts that prompted a weeks-long John Carpenter binge (He's my ex-cousin-in-law, innit!). But yeah - touching on something Sacred Tim said, there's a certain darkness out there/within that's very real - our culture lives through it again and again and we're doing a "tremendous" job with it on the planet at this very moment in time. I'd never (rarely, anyway!) wish to censor someone else's voice/opinion, but I felt (and still feel) that putting actual audio from a Hitler speech out into the world right now isn't on. Maybe if it was used to illustrate a powerful point, or to inspire a moment of consideration and compassion... but otherwise, it's gratuitous and a reminder of real-life horror.

(I'm just back to Berlin after two months away, very jet-lagged, and perhaps edgier and more sensitive than usual. There are 4 Stolpersteine on the doorstep of my apartment building, commemorating the people who once lived here, maybe in this very flat. It's easy to spend my time surrounded by synths and cranking out ABBA or Amon Duul while the kettle boils, but sometimes the human darkness of the world we share hits hard.)

Uh - sorry to belabor this! I'll post a jaunty synthpop tune soon to make it up to y'all!

I’m curious, are you by any chance living near Bayrischer Platz in Berlin, the Jewish area where a lot of the street names were renamed once? A friend of mine used to live in Haberlandstraße so I’ve been in that area quite a bit. I’ll be in Berlin next week actually.

« Reply #363 on: November 02, 2018, 07:40:13 PM »
I couldn't help but also add a "Goosestep" patch to further add to the atmosphere. That was done with The L Train patch on the Sub 37. When you slow it down it gives a perfect militant march type sound.

The only synth used here was the Sub 37.
Finally got a chance to listen to this. That was a lot of fun, thanks for sharing it.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

LoboLives

« Reply #364 on: November 02, 2018, 10:23:57 PM »
I couldn't help but also add a "Goosestep" patch to further add to the atmosphere. That was done with The L Train patch on the Sub 37. When you slow it down it gives a perfect militant march type sound.

The only synth used here was the Sub 37.
Finally got a chance to listen to this. That was a lot of fun, thanks for sharing it.

Thanks Sandy!

« Reply #365 on: November 03, 2018, 03:30:26 AM »
I couldn't find a sample of this anywhere so I had to settle for a Hitler Speech...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvrpPOlz9VE

Never words I thought I'd come across on the Sequential forum. Huh. Your dedication is impressive, credit due, but I'd encourage further efforts towards finding a sample from the film or faking your own foley etc. The whole "Hitler thing" is deeply uncool, to put it gently! I'm not familiar with the film you're paying tribute to, admittedly, so I don't know if there's a point I'm missing, but if you ever pay homage to the Wicker Man, say, I'll definitely give that a click.

Mods - if I'm out of line with this, I apologize, and I'll understand if you delete my reply here.

Well the video was flagged anyway lol

I don’t think you are out of line at all, you simply are curious what a real life tragedy has to do with a synth video. The film Shock Waves is a 70s cult film staring Peter Cushing and John Carradine. It is about a group of people who are shipwrecked on an island and stumble upon a desolate SS battleship. They end up waking up the cargo, which in this case happens to be immortal underwater SS super soldiers. The whole movie is on YouTube as are it’s trailers and the soundtrack just got remastered and released on vinyl.

Not much I can do about the origin of the underwater super soldiers I’m afraid. Even the opening title has a swastika on it and as I said the soundtrack does have a lot of Third Reich sound effects so I just take it as part of the film. Much like how I look at real life serial killer Henry Lee Lucas talking about killing his mother as part of the film Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (video I posted before Shock Waves). It just comes with the territory with these types of films.

Like I said, I've not seen the film, but I'm sure it's a fine piece of schlock. I'm a pretty broad-minded film freak, and often come home from the video store with about 5 or 6 titles in hand, anything from Maya Deren to  Wes Craven. It was probably one (or more!) of your posts that prompted a weeks-long John Carpenter binge (He's my ex-cousin-in-law, innit!). But yeah - touching on something Sacred Tim said, there's a certain darkness out there/within that's very real - our culture lives through it again and again and we're doing a "tremendous" job with it on the planet at this very moment in time. I'd never (rarely, anyway!) wish to censor someone else's voice/opinion, but I felt (and still feel) that putting actual audio from a Hitler speech out into the world right now isn't on. Maybe if it was used to illustrate a powerful point, or to inspire a moment of consideration and compassion... but otherwise, it's gratuitous and a reminder of real-life horror.

(I'm just back to Berlin after two months away, very jet-lagged, and perhaps edgier and more sensitive than usual. There are 4 Stolpersteine on the doorstep of my apartment building, commemorating the people who once lived here, maybe in this very flat. It's easy to spend my time surrounded by synths and cranking out ABBA or Amon Duul while the kettle boils, but sometimes the human darkness of the world we share hits hard.)

Uh - sorry to belabor this! I'll post a jaunty synthpop tune soon to make it up to y'all!

I’m curious, are you by any chance living near Bayrischer Platz in Berlin, the Jewish area where a lot of the street names were renamed once? A friend of mine used to live in Haberlandstraße so I’ve been in that area quite a bit. I’ll be in Berlin next week actually.

I'm over in 12047, about a 12-minute walk from Schneidersladen!

LoboLives

« Reply #366 on: November 03, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »
I think I might switch over to Vimeo for certain videos. It seems to be a bit more of an open minded platform.

For those that were interested in seeing my Shock Waves video but couldn't,  I will be doing a series entitled "The Audio Nasty" ( a nod to "The Video Nasty" scare in the UK in the 80s) which is going to be focused on films that require a bit more of a mature audience.

Turning a negative to a positive.

https://  vimeo.com/298775123
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:58:23 PM by LoboLives »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #367 on: November 05, 2018, 01:06:46 PM »

« Reply #368 on: November 05, 2018, 02:55:54 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #369 on: November 05, 2018, 03:20:29 PM »
Thanks, Ant.

LoboLives

« Reply #370 on: November 05, 2018, 07:28:35 PM »
Macabre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AFKFULgtb0

This is easily the best thing you’ve done. Absolutely breathtaking. The choir and pitch bends offer the right amount of unearthly emotion. I was actually listening to it while watching the film The Sentinal and was pleasantly surprised at how well your music fit. Would love to hear more like this from you. Great job. What instruments did you use? Poly Evolver?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #371 on: November 05, 2018, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks.  I used the usual: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Poly Evolver Rack, 2 Prophet '08 Keyboards, 2 Prophet '08 Modules, plus a Hammond pedal board.

This music is not where my mind is; it's far too morbid.  I can make the stretch for an occasion or two, but that's enough.  Unfortunately, I've been told it's not dark enough.  Good grief.  I was hoping to be done with it, but no.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:08:46 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #372 on: November 06, 2018, 07:10:00 AM »
Thanks.  I used the usual: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Poly Evolver Rack, 2 Prophet '08 Keyboards, 2 Prophet '08 Modules, plus a Hammond pedal board.

This music is not where my mind is; it's far too morbid.  I can make the stretch for an occasion or two, but that's enough.  Unfortunately, I've been told it's not dark enough.  Good grief.  I was hoping to be done with it, but no.

With all respect to your deep sensitivity, I'd suggest this piece isn't, according to common-law standards, actually morbid or even macabre in the least. It's dark in tone, or darker than your previous work, but there's true light in this music. It's a lovely contribution to the world. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #373 on: November 06, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
With all respect to your deep sensitivity, I'd suggest this piece isn't, according to common-law standards, actually morbid or even macabre in the least. It's dark in tone, or darker than your previous work, but there's true light in this music. It's a lovely contribution to the world.

Thank you for that happy comment, Ant. There will always be Light in it, and I wouldn't ever want to get it out.  I would only like it to be purer Light.

I couldn't even find a slightly morbid picture for the piece in all our photograph files.  The closest thing I could come to was a strange looking horse stable near Cobh, Ireland, taken by my wife!  Perhaps I should have subdued it a bit by changing it to black and white; but sakes, the green leaves were just too pretty and cheerful.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:28:04 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #374 on: November 06, 2018, 11:47:08 AM »

Thank you for that happy comment, Ant. There will always be Light in it, and I wouldn't ever want to get it out.  I would only like it to be purer Light.

I couldn't even find a slightly morbid picture for the piece in all our photograph files.  The closest thing I could come to was a strange looking horse stable near Cobh, Ireland, taken by my wife!  Perhaps I should have subdued it a bit by changing it to black and white; but sakes, the green leaves were just too pretty and cheerful.  ;D

Ha! At the risk of back-and-forthing this for days, I'd say the photo was a perfect fit for the piece. Pretty, yes, but mysterious. And maybe that's the best word for my take on your piece - as I said, I didn't find it macabre or morbid, but it's got a mysteriousness to it. Again, nice one. You've struck a nice nerve.

LoboLives

« Reply #375 on: November 06, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
I've covered some pretty well known themes to some pretty well known films (well amongst cult movie buffs anyway) but there's some real hidden gems out there such as Shuki Levy's score for Dawn Of The Mummy. The film itself is a bizarre mix of classic Universal/Hammer style Mummy film and Dawn Of The Dead....I guess that's where the title comes from haha. I have no idea what Levy used on the score but his main riff is just infectious and plays in different incarnations through the picture. I went for more of a driving, hard hitting death march type of approach. The only synth I used was the Sequential Prophet-X. Lots of choir sounds layered with some VS wavetables to give an unapologetically digital sound. The drums are all from the PX as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hzt6oRVCk8

« Reply #376 on: November 06, 2018, 06:30:11 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/jdt9517/moonlight-sonata

While this is a classical piano piece, it does have a place discussing electronic instruments.  This instrument sound is the EastWest Pianos Steinway D sample.  The important fact is this is all MIDI created.

Dave Smith, by creating MIDI, you have helped me tremendously in creating piano performances.  I have nerve damage in right arm (age related) and it is difficult for me to record a clean performance.  Recording by MIDI allows me to digitally go into the performance and fix my errors. 

Enjoy!

Been off-line for a few weeks.  Neat to return and hear some great music posts.  Really pretty
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #377 on: November 06, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »
A melancholic mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gGajwLuKfo

oooh, I  like that change at 7:26.  This could be in a movie soundtrack or something.  This is one of my top favorites on your postings Sacred Synthesis. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #378 on: November 06, 2018, 06:47:05 PM »
I've covered some pretty well known themes to some pretty well known films (well amongst cult movie buffs anyway) but there's some real hidden gems out there such as Shuki Levy's score for Dawn Of The Mummy. The film itself is a bizarre mix of classic Universal/Hammer style Mummy film and Dawn Of The Dead....I guess that's where the title comes from haha. I have no idea what Levy used on the score but his main riff is just infectious and plays in different incarnations through the picture. I went for more of a driving, hard hitting death march type of approach. The only synth I used was the Sequential Prophet-X. Lots of choir sounds layered with some VS wavetables to give an unapologetically digital sound. The drums are all from the PX as well.

Lobolives,  I watched the first 39 seconds before i started asking...hey, where's the far-out video?  Nevermind, it came ;) How you liking the Prophet X?  Seems like the perfect tool for your interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hzt6oRVCk8

LoboLives

« Reply #379 on: November 06, 2018, 07:21:55 PM »

Lobolives,  I watched the first 39 seconds before i started asking...hey, where's the far-out video?  Nevermind, it came ;) How you liking the Prophet X?  Seems like the perfect tool for your interests

I love the Prophet X. It really has been a game changer for me sound design wise and just soundtrack wise in general. It really is a tool for experimentation.