Calibration Required Every Power-up?

Jdoo

Calibration Required Every Power-up?
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »
I found that I need to run an Oscillator/Filter calibration ( Manual button + 0 ) every time I power up, or the patches all sound funky.   It doesnt seem to be related to warm-up / temperature either...  Though maybe that's it?   I can power down my OB-6 desktop... and within seconds, power it back up ... and it sounds funky, until I do the re-calibration.

I've only had this system for a little more than a week.. so maybe it needs time to settle in?  Or is this a normal thing?  I can live with it --  since it doesnt seem to get out of whack once calibrated. 

Thanks for any input -

Joe

Re: Calibration Required Every Power-up?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »
Hi Joe. If your OB-6 Module is brand new, it does require a little of time bit to fill in calibration data across a wide range of operating temperatures. The general rule is that if the oscillators are not in tune from voice to voice, run calibration. If they are in tune directly after calibrating, everything is probably just fine.

The best way to test the voice to voice tuning is by initiating the Basic Program, which is a single oscillator sound with no modulation applied, and pressing the same key six consecutive times. To initiate the Basic Program, hold MANUAL and press WRITE.

If you feel that something else might be going on, please contact our dedicated support channel, which you can do though the Contact Us link on our website, or by emailing support at davesmithinstruments dot com.
SEQUENTIAL

Jdoo

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
Cool.  I'll check those things tonight.  Thanks.  Like I said - everything seems to be fine once I re-calibrate.  Was just a little surprised, that even immediately after powering down, and then powering right back up - I have to re-calibrate.
atb-

joe

Hi Joe. If your OB-6 Module is brand new, it does require a little of time bit to fill in calibration data across a wide range of operating temperatures. The general rule is that if the oscillators are not in tune from voice to voice, run calibration. If they are in tune directly after calibrating, everything is probably just fine.

The best way to test the voice to voice tuning is by initiating the Basic Program, which is a single oscillator sound with no modulation applied, and pressing the same key six consecutive times. To initiate the Basic Program, hold MANUAL and press WRITE.

If you feel that something else might be going on, please contact our dedicated support channel, which you can do though the Contact Us link on our website, or by emailing support at davesmithinstruments dot com.

Jdoo

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:50:13 AM »
As a follow-up...

Since posting this, a few more days have gone by - and as of last evening things have changed.   No longer, do I need to do the re-calibration.  Everything comes up fine, when I power up, and stays in tune, etc.  I probably just needed a few more days for things to settle in / be calibrated across the various temperature ranges, like was mentioned by extempo.   Anyway, just thought I would follow-up in case anyone else has this issue, early on.  Give it time.