Filter expression pedal behavior

Filter expression pedal behavior
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:50:26 AM »
How does it work as far as behavior goes? Compared to the global pot mode settings, is the expression pedal for filter cutuff control relative, passthru, or jump?

Thanks!

Re: Filter expression pedal behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
How does it work as far as behavior goes? Compared to the global pot mode settings, is the expression pedal for filter cutuff control relative, passthru, or jump?

Thanks!

From the manual's Received Controller Messages appendix:

Brightness: Added to filter cutoff frequency
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:18 PM »

Thanks!

From the manual's Received Controller Messages appendix:

Brightness: Added to filter cutoff frequency

Thanks for trying to answer, but I'm referring to the filter expression pedal jack on the back of the synth...not a midi controller(sorry if I wasn't clear).

An expression pedal is essentially a pot with a pedal surrounding.....my question still stands.  What behavior is the pot in the filter expression pedal treated like?  Is it like the global settings for the pots on the synth itself(relative, passthru, or jump)....since there's no global options on the settings for the filter expression pedal jack I would think the behavior would have to be one of the three. 

For example, say you switch patches and your filter cutoff is almost wide open on the next patch but the expression pedal's travel is set as it would be if the filter cutoff were closed....does the OB6 reflect the patch settings for the filter, or where the travel expression pedal/pot is? 

And if it is where the patch settings are, how does the synth treat the pot behavior?  Does the filter change when the travel of the expression pedal "catches up" to the settings of the filter cutoff in the patch like "pass thru" mode on the global pot settings?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:50:20 PM by John01W »

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:23:08 AM »
An expression pedal is essentially a pot with a pedal surrounding.....my question still stands.  What behavior is the pot in the filter expression pedal treated like?  Is it like the global settings for the pots on the synth itself(relative, passthru, or jump)....since there's no global options on the settings for the filter expression pedal jack I would think the behavior would have to be one of the three. 

For example, say you switch patches and your filter cutoff is almost wide open on the next patch but the expression pedal's travel is set as it would be if the filter cutoff were closed....does the OB6 reflect the patch settings for the filter, or where the travel expression pedal/pot is? 

And if it is where the patch settings are, how does the synth treat the pot behavior?  Does the filter change when the travel of the expression pedal "catches up" to the settings of the filter cutoff in the patch like "pass thru" mode on the global pot settings?

The behavior is the same: at its lowest position, there is no effect on the filter cutoff.

Of the three options you mention, relative would be the closest behavior, though it does not change the stored value of the cutoff frequency. Neither passthrough nor jump are relevant, as the value from the pedal is added to the cutoff in the same manner as any other positive modulation source.

The best way to think about it is as a bias control.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:31:16 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:21:34 PM »

The behavior is the same: at its lowest position, there is no effect on the filter cutoff.

Of the three options you mention, relative would be the closest behavior, though it does not change the stored value of the cutoff frequency. Neither passthrough nor jump are relevant, as the value from the pedal is added to the cutoff in the same manner as any other positive modulation source.

The best way to think about it is as a bias control.

Appreciate it!