6 voices extender box

6 voices extender box
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
I was wondering if it would be possible for DSI to just make a "box" with like 6 voices of the P6 in order to extend the polyphony of the p6.
Just a polychain box with no controller, just the 6 voices. It would be way cheaper than having to buy a P6 desktop, and also much more compact (could be in a 19" rack house maybe).

What do you think ?
I would imagine it wouldn't be to hard to developp and not very pricey. But maybe I'm missing a crucial tecnical point.
I'm also sure it would appeal to many p6 owner if say the price is under 1000. I love the p6 but sometimes the 6 voices polyphony is limiting.

Re: 6 voices extender box
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:52:40 AM »
I was wondering if it would be possible for DSI to just make a "box" with like 6 voices of the P6 in order to extend the polyphony of the p6.
Just a polychain box with no controller, just the 6 voices. It would be way cheaper than having to buy a P6 desktop, and also much more compact (could be in a 19" rack house maybe).

What do you think ?
I would imagine it wouldn't be to hard to develop and not very pricey. But maybe I'm missing a crucial tecnical point.
I'm also sure it would appeal to many p6 owner if say the price is under 1000. I love the p6 but sometimes the 6 voices polyphony is limiting.

Thing is - how many people would buy a unit that has no user interface? A (non-free) bundled copy of SoundTower would be required for editing.

Unlike the Prophet-12 (whose desktop equivalent is significantly cheaper due to a reduced set of controls), there's no menu-based UI for the Prophet-6 or OB-6, so one would have to design a new basic user interface, simply to indicate that the unit is powered on, and set to receive a particular program number.

New software would also be required to identify the slave units from a MIDI sysex perspective.

A new chassis would also be required, in addition to the current desktop.

A new power supply design would be required, external or internal.

Ultimately, though, I think that the idea is a non-starter, no matter how well-intentioned it might be in terms of cost and space. The Prophet Rev2 identifies a sensible approach as to voice expansion, though it must be planned for within the initial design.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:12:58 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

blewis

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
DSI just did design a more compact/alternate interface with the Pioneer AS-1. So a reduced interface could be possible.

But, wasn't Dave a bit miffed with the Evolver Rack (at least the reissue of it?)? Not sure he's into into the idea.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:30:42 AM »
DSI just did design a more compact/alternate interface with the Pioneer AS-1. So a reduced interface could be possible.

You're absolutely right–so that leaves board layout, chassis, power supply, and some additional software–notwithstanding the product planning time and market research required to determine whether it would sell enough units to be worthwhile (and, ultimately, the decision as to whether it should be manufactured overseas).

But then there's the Rev2 voice architecture to consider, which would make more sense for a cost- and space-conscious module (a la Tetra replacement) and could hit the price points in question while still being manufactured in the United States.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

dslsynth

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:27:35 AM »
But then there's the Rev2 voice architecture to consider, which would make more sense for a cost- and space-conscious module (a la Tetra replacement) and could hit the price points in question while still being manufactured in the United States.

You are not the only one who look forward to see how the Rev2 module will be and how much it will cost. Not that I would buy one for obvious financial and feature reasons but it could indicate an interesting design direction and could possibly indicate a constructive direction for their lower cost machines. Would of cause be even better if it had analog filter feedback and was multi-timbral.

I do get the price advantage of a minimal interface voice expander module for Prophet-6 and the desire to get access to a more affordable version of such a poly. But who knows how future designs based on the technology will look like and how it will be priced? Maybe a Prophet 12 style interface would make more sense in that case? Prophet-6 is meant as a knob-per-function machine with a simple voice architecture.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »
You know, I do wish the synths were a bit more accommodating to customer customization. Instead of waiting for OS updates just pop open the hood and adjust to taste and desires.