Next New Sequential Instrument

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2016, 04:50:13 PM »
I object!  I'm not seeking deer.  How about the "Deer Slayer 10"?
Starring Charles Bronson!

Soundtrack by Jimmy Page.
Oddly enough, the sound track for Death Wish (starring Charles Bronson) was done by Herbbie Hancock....  That concludes our trivia moment.

Yeah, I was referring to the sequel.

Boy, this is thee place for high culture.  The things I've learned from you guys!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:55:31 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »

Oddly enough, the sound track for Death Wish (starring Charles Bronson) was done by Herbbie Hancock....  That concludes our trivia moment.

There was a sequel?!?!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »

There was a sequel?!?!

Two in fact.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ckg-D6dMLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDuQxOIvVx8
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:16:02 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2016, 06:24:36 PM »

Boy, this is thee place for high culture.  The things I've learned from you guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glx_kpo3wAI

Shaw

« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glx_kpo3wAI
Damn you!  ;)
Too bad that white prophet 12 didn't come with autotune and a mic input built in.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

eXode

« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2016, 04:11:36 AM »
I would actually like to see a MoPho X6. Give it 49 keys. It could be priced at $1200 - $1250 USD. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:16:25 AM by eXode »

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2016, 04:56:09 AM »
For me a 12 voice, two timbral P6/OB6 with the modulation abilities of the P12/P2 would be a definate buy.

Same for me!
With (or without) the P12/Pro2 interface which is great
At least bi-timbral (even better with multi-timbral voice allocation)
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2016, 05:24:44 PM »
If there's to be a new DSI flagship, then that's the most obvious blend: the P12-P6 masterpiece, which would certainly cross the $3,000 mark.

« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2016, 02:59:50 AM »
If there's to be a new DSI flagship, then that's the most obvious blend: the P12-P6 masterpiece, which would certainly cross the $3,000 mark.

I'm not sure whether that would be a realistic scenario. The design philosphy with regard to DSI's whole catalog has always been to develop instruments of which each covers a specific set of options and sound generation tools without too many overlaps between the single devices. And while there have been groups of instruments like the Prophet '08, Mopho, and Tetra for example, or the Evolver line, there has never really been an instrument that does it all in one package. In that sense, I'd expect that the closest you'll get to a P12-P6 masterpiece in the long run is in fact going to be a combination of a Prophet 12 and a Prophet-6, or two of the latter for the sake of an equal voice number.

I also don't think that DSI is a company that has one flagship. At least with regard to polyphonic keyboard synthesizers I currently see them offering three flagships: the Prophet 12, the Prophet-6, and the OB-6.

Beyond speculating about specific designs, I think it's safe to assume that the following instruments won't happen (anytime soon):
- a new drum machine
- a monophonic version of either the Prophet-6 or the OB-6
- a bigger version of either the Prophet-6 or the OB-6
- a desktop version of the Pro 2
- just about any combination of the above in the manner of just putting two or more instruments into one box

That said, I'd expect something that differs substantially from synths like the Prophet 12 and a classic analog synth like the Prophet-6 or the OB-6. And while the latter two are gorgeous synths, one wouldn't go too far by describing them as the most conservative designs that DSI have ever developed. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but very much in the sense of Dave saying "it's 1979 again." Taking into account that the (re-)development of the classic analog polysynth design has kept DSI busy from the latter half of 2014 up to the release of the OB-6 (besides the occasional firmware maintenance of course), I would strongly assume that the odds are in favor of a different direction now.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:02:05 AM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »
There are only so many possible variations on the analog poly synth theme.  It seems that DSI has covered these, as well as two hybrid designs, so a little redundancy could be understandable.  I would expect to see either a new instrument that could worthily replace the Prophet '08, or perhaps a mostly/entirely digital instrument closer to the VS tradition. 

As long as I'm well-supplied in the analog department, then I'd be entirely in favor of a purely digital synthesizer.

Shaw

« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2016, 12:41:31 PM »
There are only so many possible variations on the analog poly synth theme.  It seems that DSI has covered these, as well as two hybrid designs, so a little redundancy could be understandable.  I would expect to see either a new instrument that could worthily replace the Prophet '08, or perhaps a mostly/entirely digital instrument closer to the VS tradition. 

As long as I'm well-supplied in the analog department, then I'd be entirely in favor of a purely digital synthesizer.
As much as I hate to prophesize, I think you're probably on to something, something in the vein of the VS is a logical next creation.
Unless of course they're opening up an area of synthesis we've never seen before… Which I think is what everybody is really waiting for.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2016, 12:56:09 PM »
What sort of area could you imagine?

Dave is brilliant and inventive, but he always pours this into a fairly traditional synthesizer form, such as the Prophet 12.  I think there's still room for another member or two in the Prophet analog line.  But a break from this into an Evolver/VS/Wavestation type of instrument would be very refreshing and exciting.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:03:23 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »

It may be of interest here to note that the Dave Smith Modular DSM03 Feedback Module is shipping around October 10th. DSI describes it as an "all-digital module" (see http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,476.msg8586.html#msg8586). So presumably, this includes the DSM03's lowpass filter. It's possible that they designed a new digital filter just for this one module, but how likely is that?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2016, 01:01:11 PM »

Certainly. That's why I personally wouldn't expect another analog poly synth any time soon, not even a successor to the Prophet '08. Now the cat is out of the bag with regard to the DSM03 module and its digital filter, an entirely digital synth might even be a possibility.

Edit: chysn was faster.  ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2016, 01:04:39 PM »

It may be of interest here to note that the Dave Smith Modular DSM03 Feedback Module is shipping around October 10th. DSI describes it as an "all-digital module" (see http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,476.msg8586.html#msg8586). So presumably, this includes the DSM03's lowpass filter. It's possible that they designed a new digital filter just for this one module, but how likely is that?

Yes, it could be the first stage of a new digital instrument.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »

Certainly. That's why I personally wouldn't expect another analog poly synth any time soon, not even a successor to the Prophet '08. Now the cat is out of the bag with regard to the DSM03 module and its digital filter, an entirely digital synth might even be a possibility.

If the Prophet '08 doesn't have a successor, then I'll fill my music room with a dozen keyboard and module units of the original!  It's just perfect for my uses.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:09:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2016, 01:14:16 PM »
What sort of area could you imagine?

Attached is a little overview/inventory about digital synthesis models from Julius O. Smith's article "Viewpoints on the History of Digital Synthesis" (Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics, Department of Music, Stanford University, December 28, 2005). So that's one starting point.

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
If the Prophet '08 doesn't have a successor, then I'll fill my music room with a dozen keyboard and module units of the original!  It's just perfect for my uses.

I'm just assuming that it would seem slightly redundant to release yet another analog poly synth after the Prophet-6 and the OB-6, even though the Prophet '08's architecture differs dramatically from those two.

On a different note: The only aspects that haven't been recycled after the discontinuation of the Evolvers are a true stereo signal path, stereo inputs, a filter split option, ring modulation, the option to upload user wavetables, and of course a hybrid front end.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
Yes, I'm amazed that the stereo hardwired oscillators haven't become standardized on DSI synths.  After all, if you don't like it, you can tweak them into mono.

It's in vain, but I do wish DSI would issue a new Poly Evolver with clean digital oscillators.  It would be quite the treat to be able to use those messy tones over the whole range of the keyboard.  The digital aliasing is the only flaw of the instrument that ever bothered me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:51:03 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »