Next New Sequential Instrument

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2016, 12:13:41 PM »
At this point, DSI will have to produce one impressive poly synth to get me to buy something new.  It's certainly possible, but it would require my selling one of my current instruments.  Having worked so much with my PEKs and P'08s over the last seven years, rather than grow tired of them, I've grown to appreciate their strengths all the more. 

I had saved up about $2,500 for a new instrument, but my car has finally given up the ghost and claimed every synthesizer-bound penny.  Back to the drawing board.  Still, I would love to see DSI produce a successor to the Prophet '08, something a little more complex and with a rawer analog tone, yet, still a clear successor. 

« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2016, 12:52:36 PM »
At this point, DSI will have to produce one impressive poly synth to get me to buy something new.  It's certainly possible, but it would require my selling one of my current instruments.  Having worked so much with my PEKs and P'08s over the last seven years, rather than grow tired of them, I've grown to appreciate their strengths all the more. 

I had saved up about $2,500 for a new instrument, but my car has finally given up the ghost and claimed every synthesizer-bound penny.  Back to the drawing board.  Still, I would love to see DSI produce a successor to the Prophet '08, something a little more complex and with a rawer analog tone, yet, still a clear successor.

The "Prophetizer 2000" for the price of two cars and a grilled deer.  ;D ;D

dslsynth

« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2016, 02:01:38 PM »
[...] and a grilled deer.  ;D ;D

Well deer is actually quite tasty as long as you do not have to catch it with your own car!

. o O ( :o )

Seriously, Sacred Synthesis, if you look at the current DSI offerings are there any of the machines you really really want? To me it still seems to be a choice between sound a features. So as far as I can see you are still looking for a new machine that will work for you.

Given that you generally want to wait until the OS is stable there could very well be plenty of time to save up for a new synthesizer. It is still pretty annoying the way the funds got spend. And it doesn't make the car/deer experience any more pleasant in any way of cause. But we are talking years as far as new DSI instruments are concerned as far as I can see given our past discussions.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »
I'm actually quite happy with my current set up, but I was going to enlarge it.  "Better" to me means more of the same.  But I would love a Prophet '08 in a Prophet 12 package.  If the new instrument is good enough, I'll be willing to part with a PEK for it.  That's what I'm presently hoping for, but these things tend not to go my way.

As for instrument names, I'm willing to go with anything that's venison-themed.  How about the "Doe-pho"?  Or else, the "Prophet 12-Point"?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:25:12 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2016, 03:50:19 PM »
As Dave Smith is dreaming up his next new synthesizer, I imagine him tossing and turning all night long.  Finally, his wife turns to him and asks, "Honey, why can't you sleep"?  He answers, "The number, I can't come up with the number.  I've used almost all of them: Pro One, Tetr4, Mopho x4, Prophet 5, Prophet-6, Prophet '08, Prophet 10, Prophet 12.  If I make a Prophet 13, no one will buy it, for fear of bad musical luck!"

In trying to guess what Dave will make next, the first question that comes to mind is the number of voices.  The poor guy; he's almost out of options, other than going with odd numbers.  A Prophet 7 - I don't know.  It just doesn't have that ring to it.  I think the next number should be 10.  Why can't he re-use an instrument name?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:11:20 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
What about 3, 7, 9, and 11? Or maybe only prime numbers? - There you have it: Prophet Prime.  ;D

[Sleazy 1970s advertisment voice on]: "Prophet Prime: Sweet as lime, costs only a dime." [off]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:57:20 PM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »
Or change "Prophet" to any other word (real or imagined), then all the numbers become immediately available again:  Prophet 6, OB-6, Deer-Seeker-6....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2016, 03:58:48 PM »
Deer-Seeker-6....

Brilliant! Sounds like a woody synth too.

Shaw

« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
Deer-Seeker-6....

Brilliant! Sounds like a woody synth too.
Nothing but Sawtooths...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2016, 04:02:08 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2016, 04:09:51 PM »
I object!  I'm not seeking deer.  How about the "Deer Slayer 10"?

« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2016, 04:11:22 PM »

Nord already does red keyboards.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »
I would gladly part with a Poly Evolver Keyboard for a new ten-voice synthesizer with onboard delay, a high pass filter, long envelope times, a five-octave keyboard, and a Prophet '08 voice architecture.  The only catch is the type and number of oscillators.  I'd be happy with three DCOs, but DSI seems to have moved on from them.  VCOs would be expensive, but DOs would sound only mediocre.

Shaw

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2016, 04:26:33 PM »
Starring Charles Bronson!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »

Now that was too easy.

« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2016, 04:29:28 PM »
I would gladly part with a Poly Evolver Keyboard for a new ten-voice synthesizer with onboard delay, a high pass filter, long envelope times, a five-octave keyboard, and a Prophet '08 voice architecture.  The only catch is the type and number of oscillators.  I'd be happy with three DCOs, but DSI seems to have moved on from them.  VCOs would be expensive, but DOs would sound only mediocre.

It seems to me that you've already found what you're looking for. I think you're right that DSI might move on form the DCOs soon. I'd assume that the Prophet '08 and the Mopho x4 sell well, but who knows what happens after Behringer releases their budget synth and/or how that will affect the market. Either way, it seems to be safe to say that the Prophet '08 is probably pretty high on the list of the next retirements.

Replacing your current rig with VCOs in terms of voices, would end up being quite expensive, plus: you want more modulation options than the Prophet-6 and OB-6 offer. On the other hand, the Prophet 12 doesn't seem to be quite there yet for you in terms of sound. So that doesn't leave many options except for waiting for what the future brings.

« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2016, 04:30:14 PM »

Soundtrack by Jimmy Page.

Shaw

« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2016, 04:37:22 PM »

Oddly enough, the sound track for Death Wish (starring Charles Bronson) was done by Herbbie Hancock....  That concludes our trivia moment.

« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2016, 04:39:03 PM »

Oddly enough, the sound track for Death Wish (starring Charles Bronson) was done by Herbbie Hancock....  That concludes our trivia moment.

Yeah, I was referring to the sequel.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2016, 04:47:10 PM »

It seems to me that you've already found what you're looking for. I think you're right that DSI might move on form the DCOs soon. I'd assume that the Prophet '08 and the Mopho x4 sell well, but who knows what happens after Behringer releases their budget synth and/or how that will affect the market. Either way, it seems to be safe to say that the Prophet '08 is probably pretty high on the list of the next retirements.

Replacing your current rig with VCOs in terms of voices, would end up being quite expensive, plus: you want more modulation options than the Prophet-6 and OB-6 offer. On the other hand, the Prophet 12 doesn't seem to be quite there yet for you in terms of sound. So that doesn't leave many options except for waiting for what the future brings.

And that's my plan: be content with what I have, and meanwhile, watch what DSI cooks up next.  Again, I'd love an enlarged Prophet '08.  A couple more voices, a couple more DCOs, and a few more features.  But I still would like to get a really raw bona fide analog instrument into my set up.

On the other hand, it's hard not to wonder if DSI will finally produce a pure digital instrument, something like a modern Wave Station or Prophet VS.  It would be a fine way to round out the DSI line up, as long as the Prophet '08 was still around.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:52:43 PM by Sacred Synthesis »