Next New Sequential Instrument

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: Next New Sequential Instrument
« Reply #1640 on: February 07, 2021, 05:53:02 AM »
I have a medical condition that makes me extremely sensitive to blue light. I literally cannot handle blue LEDs at all unless they are very soft and dim And then only in low doses. So while the red/orange/yellow spectrum is excellent for interfaces, blues, greens, and teals give me a headache rapidly. I would not buy any synth with the blue/green spectrum colours for UI.

I also agree that red lighting makes low light stage and studio work much better by not ruining the performer's adjusted vision either.

I could definitely appreciate a nice amber though as a variance from the red.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #1641 on: February 07, 2021, 06:24:00 AM »
Well since the Pro 3 has multi color lights.

Maybe we'll get the option to be able to choose the color we want.

I guess your condition prevents you from Quantum/Iridium and Roland System 8?

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #1642 on: February 07, 2021, 07:17:18 AM »

They were total non-starters for me, that was among the top reasons why but by far not the only (I don't like the Waldorf interfaces or sound, really, and the System 8 is ghastly as a whole). The Pro-3 does concern me as I am definitely interested in one, but if I understand correctly the main UI is still red, and it's only the sequencer, in some modes, that is occasionally purple, blue or green, right?

« Reply #1643 on: February 07, 2021, 07:22:02 AM »

They were total non-starters for me, that was among the top reasons why but by far not the only (I don't like the Waldorf interfaces or sound, really, and the System 8 is ghastly as a whole). The Pro-3 does concern me as I am definitely interested in one, but if I understand correctly the main UI is still red, and it's only the sequencer, in some modes, that is occasionally purple, blue or green, right?

Yes. That is correct.

It's a shame you have to go through that. For me I was strongly considering the System 8 (due to it's FM engine, form factor also) because of it's green lights.

I wonder how expensive/problematic it would be to change the color of the LEDs on a Sequential synth in general or if that would void any warranty.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #1644 on: February 07, 2021, 07:33:04 AM »
It's a shame you have to go through that. For me I was strongly considering the System 8 (due to it's FM engine, form factor also) because of it's green lights.

I wonder how expensive/problematic it would be to change the color of the LEDs on a Sequential synth in general or if that would void any warranty.

As I mentioned above: as long as I have the option for colours that work for me, I don't begrudge anybody else options for colours that do! :)

As for changing LED colour - those are surface mounted. You'd be doing a hell of a lot of manual, tedious, and usually extremely fine-pitch SMD resoldering AND you'd have to know the original spec of the LEDs to avoid blowing the drivers and/or destroying the LEDs on first power-up. That's not impossible, but it would be an almost insane amount of work with a high risk of damaging the synth at a low electronic level. It would absolutely void the warranty.

« Reply #1645 on: February 07, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »

Still....the Poly Evolver in the dark looks incredible with the blue lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8QuPCByxQI

In theory, yes; in practice, the blue LEDs are so bright that it interferes with me seeing other details on the panel; it's not so much the color, which I love, but just if there was a way to tone them down.  I had to put electrical tape on the lights on the back because the light show was a constant distraction.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1646 on: February 07, 2021, 09:23:54 PM »
I feel the same way.  The PEK's lights are just blinding.  And if someone is facing the four blue LFO lights on the back of the instrument for any amount of time, they're going to be walking into the walls afterwards.

« Reply #1647 on: February 08, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »
Naw,  PEK was designed to be in the "spotlight" so they made those LED's bright enough to come thru.   ;D
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1648 on: February 08, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »
When I occasionally play a piece for my wife, she complains that those four LFO lights are just painful.  I have to face them towards the wall, but even the wall is emblazoned in flashing blue.

LPF83

« Reply #1649 on: February 08, 2021, 01:52:32 PM »
When I occasionally play a piece for my wife, she complains that those four LFO lights are just painful.  I have to face them towards the wall, but even the wall is emblazoned in flashing blue.

Sometime back I installed a couple of LED bulbs with remote in my studio ceiling light, mostly for the ability to easily turn one bulb on or off, switch between cold/warm light, etc. and the additional colors were kind of a novelty bonus.  For the first few days I had them set to blue because it was different and gave the room a cool look when I was making music.

It took many days of sleep deficit before I realized my sleep was suddenly getting wrecked at night.  At first I attributed it to normal sleep disruptions, but it soon became obvious something was really wrong.  So I switched the light to one warm white and one red while making music, and viola, I was back to sleeping properly at night. 

I really didn't think about the effect of blue light on sleep when this was going on, so it wasn't a placebo effect... it seems for me at least blue light and a good nights sleep don't mix.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:18:09 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1650 on: February 08, 2021, 02:01:49 PM »
Interesting.  Supposedly, it's true about the blue computer screen as well.  I've been told not to sit in front of the computer right before going to bed.

jok3r

« Reply #1651 on: February 08, 2021, 02:11:47 PM »
That's why most screens have "night modes" or "blue light filters" today ... ;)
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LPF83

« Reply #1652 on: February 08, 2021, 02:19:03 PM »
Also, for many years now, in neighborhoods where they have been replacing the street lights with LEDs, residents that allow light into their windows at night have been reporting sleep disruptions.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1653 on: February 08, 2021, 02:27:24 PM »

So it's true that blue light disturbs one's sleep?  What, then, does it do to the brain?  ???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:29:19 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jok3r

« Reply #1654 on: February 08, 2021, 03:03:54 PM »

So it's true that blue light disturbs one's sleep?  What, then, does it do to the brain?  ???

As I read in different sources, the wave length of the blue light blocks the building of melatonin more than all other wave length. Melatonin is a "sleep hormon" that has great impact on our day-night-rhythm. If this rhythm is disturbed it can lead to all well-known diseases like depression, diabetis, "being fat" and "diseases related to your heart" and so on (sorry, didn't have the english words for the last two in my head :D ).
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1655 on: February 08, 2021, 03:21:00 PM »
Obesity?   :D

jok3r

« Reply #1656 on: February 08, 2021, 03:32:32 PM »
Obesity?   :D

Ah, yeah... sometimes my brain seems to suppress this word, since I'm suffering from this disease myself.  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #1657 on: February 08, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »

Still....the Poly Evolver in the dark looks incredible with the blue lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8QuPCByxQI

In theory, yes; in practice, the blue LEDs are so bright that it interferes with me seeing other details on the panel; it's not so much the color, which I love, but just if there was a way to tone them down.  I had to put electrical tape on the lights on the back because the light show was a constant distraction.

That's true. A less bright version of the blue LEDs would be a good compromise.

« Reply #1658 on: February 19, 2021, 08:16:20 PM »
as to whether it matters if a user can hear it "in a mix" or not - well, great music can be made on a toy guitar or a cheap accordion or, hell, a rubber chicken. But in many cases it's considered 'better' when performed on a more refined instrument. And that's a big part of why it matters at all.

So I got into synths about 5 years ago.  The first few years, I researched and tried to get as many of the sounds or instruments that my heroes did - guys who had means and were buying up cheap analog gear when digital hit the scene.  But even after getting all the gear I have, I still wasn't making music like they did.  I had more to learn.  So I *really* studied the actual recordings - what were the sounds, what did the song really depend on, what was essential and made the tracks, and what could be changed in a remix or remake without fundamentally altering the impact of the music, etc.  And then only recently, I came across some live recordings from these bands in the mid-80s, and knowing what I know now, I saw just how unimportant most of the gear really was.  The sound was coming from the drum production, samples, vocals, effects, the mix, a hundred other things than just like, a Jupiter or Prophet 5 or Oberheim or whatever.  In fact, the actual synth patches are pretty straight forward; Pro One+Moog basses, string sounds from Ensoniqs, Rolands, string and percussive sounds from DX7s etc.  And so while I personally DO have sensitive hearing, and habitually do well on blind A/B tests, and am very much inspired by rich and dynamic timbres, the MUSIC that I enjoy tends to use the studio more as the instrument than any one synth or whatever.  So this whole thing about sound quality had just become a white whale for me, when in reality it makes almost zero difference for what I want to do.

Does this mean I think software is equal? No, but mostly because most software is not designed as an *instrument*, and it lives on a computer, which tends to automatically disengage the connection to my subconscious mind that a real instrument can pull out of me.  Maybe it works for other people, but hardware is more inspiring to me.  But as for the difference in sound...  it's almost never going to translate to a mix, unless it's a minimal arrangement with that specific instrument in razor focus, doing howling filter sweeps or something.  And this is where DSI and Sequential have always stood out, even beyond sound and build quality - they don't make synthesizers, they make MUSICAL instruments.  And I have yet to find a piece of integrated hardware and software (I invested heavily in Native Instruments and Arturia because I though NKS was the answer) that replicates the same level of joy and productivity that I get from a Dave Smith piece.

But of course all methods are valid, it's just down to what works for you and what your desired results are.

« Reply #1659 on: February 19, 2021, 08:24:22 PM »
But I can say that I definitely notice a difference between stuff I recorded using only software versus all hardware.  Those details which are very noticeable during the initial composition stage, then less noticeable after recording, still seem to add up to more than the sum of their parts in the end.  For that reason I try to use software only in a supplemental role these days.  I still do still use FX plugins quite a bit, because I don't want to have a pedal or rack for every possible config.

Yeah I think it makes a huge difference for the elements responsible for the groove to be analog - usually the percussion, but also it helps to realize that piano/guitar/bass are as much percussion as melodic instruments.  Basically anything that benefits from dynamic variation in transients to create accents in rhythm and mark out specific chords and notes outlining or contrasting the chords.  Whereas the other melodic and production elements can often almost be literally anything, since they don't usually live and die by their transients.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:30:15 PM by proteus-ix »