Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New Sequential Instrument
« Reply #1560 on: December 23, 2020, 06:07:39 PM »
This is the place to dream about what you'd like to see DSI make next.

Personally, I'm still awaiting "the big one," the sort of large-scale polyphonic bi-timbral synthesizer, strong in the fundamentals of synthesis but not loaded down with additional features, that would be a worthy replacement for the Prophet '08.  In fact, the Prophet '08 is a great place to start.  Add two more oscillators, a high pass filter, longer envelope times, possibly a few more voices, onboard delay, and I'd be in synthesizer paradise.  I'm fine with eliminating the arpeggiator and sequencer, if that will help to reduce the price tag.  Make this a real keyboard player's instrument. 

I'm hoping DSI will some day make an instrument that will allow me to move on from either the Poly Evolver or the Prophet '08, something that doesn't suffer from the common modern ailments of thin-sounding oscillators or filters, too few voices, or too short a keyboard.  And of course, make both keyboard and knobby module versions of the instrument.  I'm still hoping.

I really like the sound of that.
Prophet~6|Prophet~10 Rev3|Prophet~10 Rev4|OB-6|OB-Xa |Minimoog Model-D (reissue)|Tempest|DMX|LinnDrum|Drumtraks

LPF83

« Reply #1561 on: January 11, 2021, 07:07:13 PM »
Kind of surprised nobody is talking about the OBX trademark Dave registered a few days ago..  provides a rather strong hint at what's coming in the fall!

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1562 on: January 11, 2021, 07:42:25 PM »
That's rather unfortunate if that turns out to be the case... I'm still waiting for a P12 Rev2 with an SSI (preferably the 2140) filter.

LoboLives

« Reply #1563 on: January 11, 2021, 07:55:03 PM »
If that's the case then I think it's safe to say that Uli is dictating what Sequential do more so than Dave Smith.

LPF83

« Reply #1564 on: January 11, 2021, 07:55:17 PM »
That's rather unfortunate if that turns out to be the case... I'm still waiting for a P12 Rev2 with an SSI (preferably the 2140) filter. 

I imagine we'll see a P12 Rev2 or maybe a Poly Evolver redux at some point.  The vintage synth market is on fire right now though, I can't blame Dave for taking advantage of it (glad he did actually, I'm having a ball with my P10).  I told myself no more keyboards after the P10, but damn...  for an OBX, I might have to make room for just one more.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #1565 on: January 11, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »
If that's the case then I think it's safe to say that Uli is dictating what Sequential do more so than Dave Smith.

I'm sure it's a factor.  But if an OBX announcement preemptively dilutes interest in the "UBXa", then good for Dave.  I'm no fan of the Uli.

LoboLives

« Reply #1566 on: January 11, 2021, 08:00:17 PM »

I'm sure it's a factor.  But if an OBX announcement preemptively dilutes interest in the "UBXa", then good for Dave.  I'm no fan of the Uli.

Except the OBXA isn't the same as an OBX.

In fact most of the popular Oberheim sounds came from an OBXa which was Curtis based and Bi-Timbral....so doing a monotimbral SEM based poly synth....well.....saves me money.

If one can't do 1984 on an Oberheim Poly Synth then GTFO.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:02:05 PM by LoboLives »

LPF83

« Reply #1567 on: January 12, 2021, 04:02:58 AM »

In fact most of the popular Oberheim sounds came from an OBXa which was Curtis based and Bi-Timbral....so doing a monotimbral SEM based poly synth....well.....saves me money.

For me, buying a hardware synth only to replicate a specific sound on a specific record would be missing the point.  I'm interested in capturing the soul and vibe of a particular instrument, while creating new stuff.   Lots of synths can play "Jump" convincingly enough.  And as iconic as the 1984 album is, I don't really consider it as a pillar of the type of sound I want to create.

The OBX seems to be generally regarded as the "better sounding" (more character, more aggressive) of the two, and because the OBXa doesn't have poly mod, given a choice I think a lot of folks would prefer the OBX.

Besides, if we can have a filter switch in the Prophet 5/10 to toggle between the two revision types, it is fully reasonable to expect that Dave might put a switch in the new product to flip between OBX and OBXa filters.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:09:16 AM by LPF83 »

« Reply #1568 on: January 12, 2021, 04:33:10 AM »
Besides, if we can have a filter switch in the Prophet 5/10 to toggle between the two revision types, it is fully reasonable to expect that Dave might put a switch in the new product to flip between OBX and OBXa filters.

In case of the OB-X it would be more sensible to allow for all filter modes. Although the filter of the OB-X was the same as in the SEMs, it only allowed for lowpass mode, simply because all other connections weren't used. So allowing for full state-variable operation and adding a BP button would be a nice upgrade.

LoboLives

« Reply #1569 on: January 12, 2021, 05:36:53 AM »

For me, buying a hardware synth only to replicate a specific sound on a specific record would be missing the point.  I'm interested in capturing the soul and vibe of a particular instrument, while creating new stuff.   Lots of synths can play "Jump" convincingly enough.  And as iconic as the 1984 album is, I don't really consider it as a pillar of the type of sound I want to create.

The OBX seems to be generally regarded as the "better sounding" (more character, more aggressive) of the two, and because the OBXa doesn't have poly mod, given a choice I think a lot of folks would prefer the OBX.

I think people personally would prefer splits and layers.

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1570 on: January 12, 2021, 06:17:32 AM »
Despite what many folks will claim based purely off older out of reach things being automatically more desirable to many, with the addition of the vintage knob I actually think the OB-6 is the vastly superior instrument. On a more subjective note, I also think the OB-6 is aesthetically the better looking of the two and it's not the size of a house. Furthermore, Abstrakt Instruments has a module version (with Tom's blessing supposedly) called the VS-1. The only real plus I see the OB-X having is five octaves.

While also not what I want, I thought the OB-Xa or OB-8 would have gained more intrigue because while they're not as highly regarded to the purists, they're more iconic to the masses. Plus they have the same available components (the VCO and VCF) as the rev 3 of the P5 (that's in the rev 4), which would more importantly for Sequential's line-up compete less with the OB-6. The crazy thing is how much both (Xa/8) sound much more Oberheim (sharper/buzzier) than a P5 clone, despite having the two major components that many people consider what makes up the majority of the character. I suppose having both the OB-X & OB-Xa/8 filters would make sense given the P5/10. I actually found myself using the 3320 just as much as the 2140 on the rev 4. I find that people vastly overrate things based on chronological priority, in this case the rev 1/2 over the 3.

It's my opinion that a knobby Matrix-12 rev 2 with the 3340 VCOs and 3320 VCFs (or dual SEMs that are 12dB and 24dB switchable) would be more tactile and better sounding than the original. Plus the foundation is already there from the REV2.

jok3r

« Reply #1571 on: January 12, 2021, 06:30:09 AM »
Oh no, please not... since I canceled my PolyBrute for buying some bass pedals, GAS hits me hard at the moment... so hard, that I want to have a P10, although I didn't want to have one first (but the sound and knobs and wood...).

I can't stand another classic synth that I want to buy, but can't  ;D
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #1572 on: January 12, 2021, 08:26:25 AM »

In fact most sources claim that an OB-X was used during the recording while an OB-Xa was used on tour.

« Reply #1573 on: January 12, 2021, 10:06:10 AM »

I think people personally would prefer splits and layers.

As a personal people, I can say I've never had much interest in splits and layers!!

LoboLives

« Reply #1574 on: January 12, 2021, 12:10:12 PM »

In fact most sources claim that an OB-X was used during the recording while an OB-Xa was used on tour.

I mean the track 1984 is clearly a split keyboard. Retrosound recreated it on his own OBXa.

LoboLives

« Reply #1575 on: January 12, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »
In either case I should be thankful that Dave is saving me so much money. May as well do a Pro One reissue next. Didn’t Dave say the next two instruments are analog? Well OBX and Pro One. Why not? Go for it. Saves me money.

« Reply #1576 on: January 12, 2021, 12:22:34 PM »
I mean the track 1984 is clearly a split keyboard. Retrosound recreated it on his own OBXa.

In the comments to his video Retrosound mentioned that an OB-X was used on the album. You don't need splits and layers in the studio, as you can always multi-track.

chysn

« Reply #1577 on: January 12, 2021, 12:53:30 PM »
You don't need splits and layers in the studio, as you can always multi-track.

Nor polyphony...  :)
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #1578 on: January 12, 2021, 03:05:39 PM »
You don't need splits and layers in the studio, as you can always multi-track.

Nor polyphony...  :)

I actually don't get the same thing out of multi-tracking that I do with a split keyboard patch, or with a particular polyphony count.   I have no doubt that someone who is a better musician than I could, but I have no formal music training, and sometimes great things come from having both my hands so close together on two different sounds simultaneously, things that I'm unable to duplicate any other way.   It even matters whether I have one hand on two separate keyboards versus both hands on same, and if two separate keyboards, I get different musical results depending on if the boards are on the same vertical axis or stacked one above the other.

That said, it does not impact the fact that I'm jonesing for an OBX module.  I do not want an anatomically correct OBXa unless it doubles as a storage bin :)

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1579 on: January 12, 2021, 03:24:47 PM »
That said, it does not impact the fact that I'm jonesing for an OBX module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smQy6BvZbHc

Does splits/layers and has an output for each voice.