Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New Sequential Instrument
« Reply #1540 on: November 18, 2020, 07:25:15 AM »
And is there still no possibility for a return of the Poly Evolver?

I think the closest we'd get would be a polyphonic version of the Pro 3.

Unless Dave does the unexpected...by doing what he occasionally does - the thorougly unexpected.

Right, but the Poly Evolver didn't have the same status as the Prophet-5, nor was it as successful as the Prophet '08. Those are significant differences when it comes to another revision methinks.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1541 on: November 18, 2020, 07:29:08 AM »
Right, but the Poly Evolver didn't have the same status as the Prophet-5, nor was it as successful as the Prophet '08. Those are significant differences when it comes to another revision methinks.

That's true on the purely practical level.  The Poly Evolver has always been the most esoteric of Dave's modern instruments.  But if we're to believe what Dave regularly claims - that their instrument decisions are based on what personally interests them at the time, rather than on the market - then the unexpected is still possible.  The sound of the PEK is still unique among DSI/Sequential instruments.  And there's much to be said, especially in these times, for a synthesizer that has a unique voice and character.

I admit, though, that I'm hoping against hope.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:35:08 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1542 on: November 18, 2020, 07:39:02 AM »
A poly based off the Pro 3 would smoke a Poly Evolver in every way imaginable, aside from early aughts nostalgia, which I def do not share in, for those were dark times. It'd have better oscillators (both analog and digital), better filter (or even plural), better UI, better sequencer, etc. I'm sure SS will argue with this, but I'm not hearing it. ;)  I'm not sure we can entirely rule this out by Dave's comments. He did say analog, but he didn't say purely analog, even though that's what the question was getting at. Although he perhaps wasn't strictly talking about the next two synths, he did say, "if something has a VCO and filter", which a poly based off the Pro 3 would still fall under. It just happens to have digital oscillators as well. 

Shaw

« Reply #1543 on: November 18, 2020, 07:41:23 AM »
From what little Dave said, it sounds like he is doing something new in the analog realm.  That has me the most curious.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1544 on: November 18, 2020, 07:42:10 AM »
A poly based off the Pro 3 would smoke a Poly Evolver in every way imaginable, aside from early aughts nostalgia, which I def do not share in, for those were dark times. It'd have better oscillators (both analog and digital), better filter (or even plural), better UI, better sequencer, etc. I'm sure SS will argue with this, but I'm not hearing it. ;)  I'm not sure we can entirely rule this out by Dave's comments. He did say analog, but he didn't say purely analog, even though that's what the question was getting at. Although he perhaps wasn't strictly talking about the next two synths, he did say, "if something has a VCO and filter", which a poly based off the Pro 3 would still fall under. It just happens to have digital oscillators as well.

One difference , though: the Poly Evolver has four oscillators, the Pro 3 only three.  But I agree, the latter could be expanded into an excellent poly synth, and one that was more popularly appealing than a revived PEK.

As for nostalgia, I don't think the PEK is nearly old enough to meet such an interest.  It was available from the DSI website only a few years ago and is still a recent modern instrument.  I mean, who has an old favorite song, band, or composer that used a PEK?! 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:05:58 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1545 on: November 18, 2020, 08:08:16 AM »
One difference , though: the Poly Evolver has four oscillators, the Pro 3 only three.  But I agree, the latter could be expanded into an excellent poly synth, and one that was more popularly appealing than a revived PEK.
Yeah, I thought of that, but I'd assume it'd have two on the poly version. Even if not, I'd take the one over two static waveforms. Even though I'm not crazy about wavetables, this would be an absolute beast of a synth that one could go hog-wild on.

As for nostalgia, I never even thought of it.  I don't think the PEK is nearly old enough to meet such an interest.  Who has a favorite song, band, or composer that used a PEK?!
Some folks are easily nostalgic about things. To me, the SCI/Sequential (pre/post 2015) banner is where it's at. The DSI days were important, yet simply a necessary stepping stone for better things.

« Reply #1546 on: November 18, 2020, 08:13:22 AM »
As for nostalgia, I don't think the PEK is nearly old enough to meet such an interest.  It was available from the DSI website only a few years ago and is still a recent modern instrument.  I mean, who has an old favorite song, band, or composer that used a PEK?!

To some extend that might be said of any synth that has been released after the 1990s.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1547 on: November 18, 2020, 08:14:24 AM »
The 'two new analog synthesizers' reference brings up another interesting question: What is the next instrument to be retired?  I think the most obvious answer is the Prophet 12 Module.  But what will follow that - the Prophet 6?  It's hard to believe.

« Reply #1548 on: November 18, 2020, 08:16:02 AM »
From what little Dave said, it sounds like he is doing something new in the analog realm.  That has me the most curious.

Well, he pretty much said that since oscillators and filters can behave differently with every new design, a plethora of new analog synths is always justified.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1549 on: November 18, 2020, 08:17:49 AM »
The Poly Evolver Keyboard is a modern instrument, even if things have rapidly changed over the last decade.  I suppose the feature that most makes it seem dated is its limited voice count.  Yet, new four-voice instruments are still appearing.

Regardless, I'm not pushing this issue.  I'm happy with my "old" PEK.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:35:10 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1550 on: November 18, 2020, 08:18:01 AM »
The 'two new analog synthesizers' reference brings up another interesting question: What is the next instrument to be retired?  I think the most obvious answer is the Prophet 12 Module.  But what will follow that - the Prophet 6?  It's hard to believe.
Dave recently said the P6 is still selling well despite the release of the P5/10, but a little more time might be needed to really assess that.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1551 on: November 18, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
Dave recently said the P6 is still selling well despite the release of the P5/10, but a little more time might be needed to really assess that.

I would expect the Prophet 5/10 would eventually cut into those sales.  After all, many people who bought a Prophet-6 did so because they actually wanted the real thing, the Prophet 5.  And not surprisingly, there are quite a few P-6s for sale on Ebay and Reverb.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:31:35 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #1552 on: November 18, 2020, 08:49:11 AM »
This makes me glad I decided to pick up a Prophet 12, deferring my purchase of a Prophet 10 for a couple of months.  I just decided even if a new P12 or PE successor is announced, I wanted a P12 anyway.

A superb instrument in the total DSI/Sequential line.  Nothing else really touches it.

Yes, I decided it had a particular sound missing from my toolbox, and I wanted to add it now, because I don't know what the future holds.  Even if successive products are introduced with better features, they may not always capture the signature sound of the original.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

jok3r

« Reply #1553 on: November 18, 2020, 01:38:20 PM »
Dave was also interviewed on day 1 and said the next two projects are analog, which is a broad statement.

For reference: https://youtu.be/7bxbjTAGqOg?t=19620

Interesting.  A Rev 3?

How would that look like? I remember someone describing the idea some time ago, but I can't find it anymore.

Actually there are not much things, that I would want from a Rev3 in comparison to the Rev2. An option to configure the LFOs as global... LFO slew like on the P12, or at least slewed random as new waveform... and a better effects engine with three effect slots (e.g. different modulations, different delays and different reverbs... similar to polybrute or PEAK), or at least two per Layer like on the P6 (yes, it has only one "layer"). The analog distortion of the P6 would be cool, too.

I don't know how much of that could be done to the actual Rev2 per software update. There were rumors about a further Rev2 update some time ago... I still keep my fingers crossed that some of the above is coming.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1554 on: November 18, 2020, 01:45:49 PM »
How would that look like? I remember someone describing the idea some time ago, but I can't find it anymore.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=3015.0

I'm guessing the main thing people would want is the SSI2144 filter.

LoboLives

« Reply #1555 on: November 18, 2020, 03:06:29 PM »
Well just cause Dave says they are both analog synths doesn’t mean they are only analog synths. The Korg Prologue is still considers an analog poly synth despite having a digital oscillator alongside two VCOs perhaps that’s the case here. But if it’s not....

I still say we are going to see a smaller poly synth based on the Mophox4. Almost like half of a REV2. Just a simple four voice DCO poly synth that’s under $1000. Probably will have its own set of unique features. Perhaps a multitimbral synth? With four single mono synth engines that can be split/stacked or polystacked for four not polyphony.

The second I can see being a VCO based bi timbral synth with an keyboard with Poly Aftertouch.

Then again we might just be getting more reissues.

« Reply #1556 on: November 18, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »
Well just cause Dave says they are both analog synths doesn’t mean they are only analog synths. The Korg Prologue is still considers an analog poly synth despite having a digital oscillator alongside two VCOs perhaps that’s the case here.

True.

I still say we are going to see a smaller poly synth based on the Mophox4. Almost like half of a REV2. Just a simple four voice DCO poly synth that’s under $1000.

I think Sequential left that market behind due to the stiff competition. I'd consider the REV2 the entry model now.

The second I can see being a VCO based bi timbral synth with an keyboard with Poly Aftertouch.

Too expensive. They would have to develop their own keyboard to do so, as no one can currently outsource a keyboard with poly aftertouch (there's no Fatar for keyboards that feature poly aftertouch). Since all of their synths are capable of responding to poly aftertouch already, it's up to us whether we'd like to get an extra keyboard or an MPE controller for that matter. Especially with regard to the latter option, this actually makes a lot of sense, since we all have different preferences.

Then again we might just be getting more reissues.

Nah, don't think so. I'm still convinced the Prophet-5/10 is a one-off. There's also no synth that has been as iconic as the Prophet-5 in the Sequential universe. The Pro-One would have been a strong contender … before the release of the Pro 3 that is. And the VS was mostly Chris Meyer's and Josh Jeffe's baby.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:04:58 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #1557 on: November 18, 2020, 04:11:27 PM »
Another thing that has been mentioned on a couple of occasions is that Sequential are going to build off the Prophet-5/10's vintage knob technology on upcoming products.

LoboLives

« Reply #1558 on: November 18, 2020, 04:52:21 PM »
Sequential would unfortunately have to partner with Expressive E but I don’t think they would want to really take away anything from their Osmose....then again Kawaii partnered with Nord so who knows.

LPF83

« Reply #1559 on: November 26, 2020, 05:59:22 PM »
Always fun to speculate about what's next.  Great interview with Dave here.
My takeaway is that next two instruments will be analog (it's been said elsewhere already), at least a year away (mid year or fall 2021), and will be all new instruments versus re-issues.

https://youtu.be/rlZKKwQAmSI
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC