Next New Sequential Instrument

Shaw

Re: Next New Sequential Instrument
« Reply #1520 on: November 01, 2020, 05:41:51 PM »
I like the pro 3, think it’s an awesome instrument. But I prefer the Pro One. My previous comment was mostly a joke but if I had the choice between a pro 3 and a new, excellent build quality pro one I’d go pro one in a heartbeat. For the same reasons that someone would want a reissue prophet 5/10 over a prophet 08, Rev2, 6, 12, whatever else. As far as dirty old monos go I’d say the pro one is nearly as legendary as the 5 is to polys. You synth guys are a fickle lot, crippling nostalgia Sunday-Wednesday, fervent futurists Thursday-Saturday  ???

I once had a discussion about guitars and someone admittedly said Tom Anderson and Suhr guitar’s are miles better than a Fender. From the sound, the playability, the craftsmanship, everything...but they would still buy a cheap Mexican made Fender over them because Clapton and Hendrix played a Fender. I truly believe none of this interests in reissues (of anything really) has anything to do with sound. It’s just a name and status most are interested in. That’s perfectly reasonable just as long as they aren’t trying to convince people otherwise.

Hmmm...
I don’t have any Fender Guitars.  Charvel and PRS, but no Fenders... though my Charvels do fall into the “Super Strat” category.  I do have some Fender basses, but no guitars.

As for the Prophet 5.  I’ve ordered it because I want that sound.  I would have ordered it if it were the same synth but called “Delphi 5” or some other meaningless moniker.

But this is a circular argument.  Some people truly want the status.  Some people truly want the sound that created the status.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #1521 on: November 01, 2020, 06:08:49 PM »
I like the pro 3, think it’s an awesome instrument. But I prefer the Pro One. My previous comment was mostly a joke but if I had the choice between a pro 3 and a new, excellent build quality pro one I’d go pro one in a heartbeat. For the same reasons that someone would want a reissue prophet 5/10 over a prophet 08, Rev2, 6, 12, whatever else. As far as dirty old monos go I’d say the pro one is nearly as legendary as the 5 is to polys. You synth guys are a fickle lot, crippling nostalgia Sunday-Wednesday, fervent futurists Thursday-Saturday  ???

I once had a discussion about guitars and someone admittedly said Tom Anderson and Suhr guitar’s are miles better than a Fender. From the sound, the playability, the craftsmanship, everything...but they would still buy a cheap Mexican made Fender over them because Clapton and Hendrix played a Fender. I truly believe none of this interests in reissues (of anything really) has anything to do with sound. It’s just a name and status most are interested in. That’s perfectly reasonable just as long as they aren’t trying to convince people otherwise.

Hmmm...
I don’t have any Fender Guitars.  Charvel and PRS, but no Fenders... though my Charvels do fall into the “Super Strat” category.  I do have some Fender basses, but no guitars.

As for the Prophet 5.  I’ve ordered it because I want that sound.  I would have ordered it if it were the same synth but called “Delphi 5” or some other meaningless moniker.

But this is a circular argument.  Some people truly want the status.  Some people truly want the sound that created the status.

I think the issue is though that no one is going to agree on “that sound.” Look at people on the forums already with these reissues. Not just the P5/10 but the Model D reissue, Odyssey reissue, MS20 reissue, 2600 reissue everything. “It doesn’t sound exactly like...”

It comes back to that dumb “play authentic” crap from Gibson.

I know someone who won’t buy a Charvel guitar because it doesn’t have the old logo on it...an intellectual carrot the mind boggles.

Shaw

« Reply #1522 on: November 01, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »

Hmmm...

I think the issue is though that no one is going to agree on “that sound.” Look at people on the forums already with these reissues. Not just the P5/10 but the Model D reissue, Odyssey reissue, MS20 reissue, 2600 reissue everything. “It doesn’t sound exactly like...”

I know someone who won’t buy a Charvel guitar because it doesn’t have the old logo on it...an intellectual carrot the mind boggles.

yeah... but for every idiot saying "it doesn't sound like that Rev3 my buddy has" there are about 50 folks with pre-orders who just can't wait.

As for the Charvels... I've got one that I ripped the pickups out and replaced with new DiMarzio's because... well, that's what I wanted.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #1523 on: November 01, 2020, 06:50:11 PM »

Hmmm...

yeah... but for every idiot saying "it doesn't sound like that Rev3 my buddy has" there are about 50 folks with pre-orders who just can't wait.

As for the Charvels... I've got one that I ripped the pickups out and replaced with new DiMarzio's because... well, that's what I wanted.

Oh yeah and I really hope those 50 people who can’t wait become the vocal majority rather than the negative Nancys.

I was looking into a Charvel myself but with the new BC Rich lineup, I immediately changed my plans and already am looking at buying three models at once. Lol

Still might get a Charvel down the road and tune it down to A standard.

Shaw

« Reply #1524 on: November 01, 2020, 07:16:37 PM »

Hmmm...

Oh yeah and I really hope those 50 people who can’t wait become the vocal majority rather than the negative Nancys.

I was looking into a Charvel myself but with the new BC Rich lineup, I immediately changed my plans and already am looking at buying three models at once. Lol

Not sure the style of music that you are getting guitar(s) for, but the Guthrie Govan model Charvel is the best guitar I’ve ever played.  Easily.

LoboLives

« Reply #1525 on: November 01, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »

Hmmm...

Not sure the style of music that you are getting guitar(s) for, but the Guthrie Govan model Charvel is the best guitar I’ve ever played.  Easily.

Mostly Death, Thrash, Grind Metal or blues. Already have a Fender Strat for the standard rock stuff. Will never buy a Gibson.

« Reply #1526 on: November 01, 2020, 11:24:40 PM »

Indeed. Let's not forget the basic rule of forums: Those who are simply happy and satisfied tend to be quieter than those who like to complain or found any issues.

Shaw

« Reply #1527 on: November 06, 2020, 06:06:53 PM »

Indeed. Let's not forget the basic rule of forums: Those who are simply happy and satisfied tend to be quieter than those who like to complain or found any issues.

Looking at the recent trajectory of Sequential products, I just can’t help but think that one of their 2 new products currently in development has to be something that would fall along the continuum of the PEK or P12... digital/wavetable + analog oscillators, analogue filters and signal path...

It just seems like a no-brainer at this point...

... or a drum machine.

LoboLives

« Reply #1528 on: November 06, 2020, 06:13:07 PM »

Looking at the recent trajectory of Sequential products, I just can’t help but think that one of their 2 new products currently in development has to be something that would fall along the continuum of the PEK or P12... digital/wavetable + analog oscillators, analogue filters and signal path...

... or a drum machine.

I can’t see Sequential doing another drum machine myself but I can certainly see the VCO/Wavetable architecture in a poly synth.

Shaw

« Reply #1529 on: November 06, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »

... or a drum machine.

I can’t see Sequential doing another drum machine myself but I can certainly see the VCO/Wavetable architecture in a poly synth.

Yeah... I was kind of joking about the drum machine.

LoboLives

« Reply #1530 on: November 06, 2020, 09:21:43 PM »

... or a drum machine.

Yeah... I was kind of joking about the drum machine.

Don't get me wrong. I want them to do a Tempest X or Tempest 2 but I just don't see Dave wanting to do it. I know he's joked that it be awesome to put the Prophet X technology into a drum machine but I think with the bad relationship with 8Dio and the whole fiasco with accountability on supporting the PX and the fact that Pym even said that it would be an absolute nightmare to implement the PX type technology in a multitimbral engine for a drum machine. So Tempest 2 or Tempest X....I don't see happening at all as much as I'd like it to.

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1531 on: November 17, 2020, 08:02:47 PM »
https://youtu.be/llMq9F5Kqwo?t=24081

Well Roger agrees with you. Dave was also interviewed on day 1 and said the next two projects are analog, which is a broad statement.

Shaw

« Reply #1532 on: November 17, 2020, 08:52:06 PM »

Well Roger agrees with you. Dave was also interviewed on day 1 and said the next two projects are analog, which is a broad statement.

Well, shit.  I had convinced myself that that it would be a PEK / Prophet 12 successor....  oh well.

I’m stumped... I don’t see another mono... I don’t see Dave & Co. taking on the Moog One... and they have the middle ground covered...  so???

« Reply #1533 on: November 18, 2020, 02:29:00 AM »
Dave was also interviewed on day 1 and said the next two projects are analog, which is a broad statement.

For reference: https://youtu.be/7bxbjTAGqOg?t=19620

Shaw

« Reply #1534 on: November 18, 2020, 05:25:35 AM »
Dave was also interviewed on day 1 and said the next two projects are analog, which is a broad statement.

For reference: https://youtu.be/7bxbjTAGqOg?t=19620

Interesting.  A Rev 3?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1535 on: November 18, 2020, 06:12:01 AM »
This is good news.  I'd say the most obvious gap in the Sequential line-up is that left by the Prophet 12.  Maybe a DCO version?  A reasonably priced sophisticated four-oscillator DCO powerhouse could be an impressive instrument.  And is there still no possibility for a return of the Poly Evolver?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:41:10 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #1536 on: November 18, 2020, 07:04:05 AM »
And is there still no possibility for a return of the Poly Evolver?

I think the closest we'd get would be a polyphonic version of the Pro 3.

LPF83

« Reply #1537 on: November 18, 2020, 07:21:13 AM »

This makes me glad I decided to pick up a Prophet 12, deferring my purchase of a Prophet 10 for a couple of months.  I just decided even if a new P12 or PE successor is announced, I wanted a P12 anyway.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1538 on: November 18, 2020, 07:23:03 AM »
And is there still no possibility for a return of the Poly Evolver?

I think the closest we'd get would be a polyphonic version of the Pro 3.

Unless Dave does the unexpected...by doing what he occasionally does - the thorougly unexpected.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1539 on: November 18, 2020, 07:25:01 AM »
This makes me glad I decided to pick up a Prophet 12, deferring my purchase of a Prophet 10 for a couple of months.  I just decided even if a new P12 or PE successor is announced, I wanted a P12 anyway.

A superb instrument in the total DSI/Sequential line.  Nothing else really touches it.