Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1480 on: October 05, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »
Yep totally agree! (Disclaimer - I have ordered a P10)
Id like to add a fifth reason- kind of a 3a and 4a - Aftermarket service. Sequential is nothing short of fantastic in my experience. They are fast, courteous and eager to help you. You can tell that this is a bunch of people that are passionate about what they make and what they do and it shows in every aspect of their company.

This is one of the reasons the Sequential brand now dominates my hardware synth collection.  The quality and sound of the instrument is paramount and IMO Dave is making the best analog synths these days...but combine that with the quality of people behind the brand, and it is why I'm a repeat customer.
Excellent points. I have been very impressed with their customer service, I purchased a used Prophet 6 module that had a knob bent in shipping and after two emails confirming that I knew my way around a soldering iron they had a replacement pot in the mail with zero fuss. They produce a superb product but still operate the way you expect a good small business to. And with the expensive surprises that come with a vintage instrument it’s no question for me.
Prophet 2000, Prophet 6, Prophet 600, Multi-Trak, TOM, Matrix6, Poly61, EX-800, Prologue16, DS-8, DW-8000, DSS-1, Wavestation A/D, M1R EX, JX-3P, D-550, S-550, Alpha Juno1, SY35, DX7, TX7, RX7/11/15/17, ESQ-1, Mirage DSK-8

« Reply #1481 on: October 16, 2020, 03:47:15 AM »
https://youtu.be/FGL3JQDJjYo

So 2 new instruments are already in the making beyond the Prophet-5 and 10 modules.

« Reply #1482 on: October 16, 2020, 03:49:44 AM »
https://youtu.be/FGL3JQDJjYo

So 2 new instruments are already in the making beyond the Prophet-5 and 10 modules.

P12 and Tempest successors perhaps?

« Reply #1483 on: October 16, 2020, 03:56:21 AM »
A drum synth related to the Prophet X and a poly synth related to the Pro 3 seem like obvious options. But who knows? Neither the Pro 3 nor the Prophet-5/10 had been expected.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1484 on: October 16, 2020, 10:56:16 AM »
Paul, you know I'll always be hoping for a Poly Evolver Rev 2.  Silly me, I know. 

Maybe the Pro 3 is the beginning of the next new line or series of synthesizers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:05:28 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #1485 on: October 16, 2020, 12:39:04 PM »
Paul, you know I'll always be hoping for a Poly Evolver Rev 2.  Silly me, I know. 

Maybe the Pro 3 is the beginning of the next new line or series of synthesizers.

It's quite similar to the Evolver in terms of analog/digital hybrid oscillators. I could see the Pro 3 being the start of "Phase 3" of the Sequential lineup. More of an experimental and forward thinking approach as opposed to nods to the past. Perhaps we won't even see any more "Prophet" synths. The Prophet 5 and Prophet 5 being bookends of the Prophet legacy.

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1486 on: October 16, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »
Other than a Tempest successor, an intuitive/knobby 6 op linear FM synth would be the only thing to personally interest me at this point. If Dave (and co.) could be the first to pull such a thing off, then that would do much more for his legacy than anything else.

LoboLives

« Reply #1487 on: October 16, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »
Other than a Tempest successor, an intuitive/knobby 6 op linear FM synth would be the only thing to personally interest me at this point. If Dave (and co.) could be the first to pull such a thing off, then that would do much more for his legacy than anything else.

Love Paul Dither's design....

LPF83

« Reply #1488 on: October 16, 2020, 03:14:14 PM »

Only thing is that unlike analog, a computer (PC/Mac with DAW I mean) can do FM pretty well (perhaps indistinguishably well).  Dave has always done analog synths like nobody else can do them, while the DX7 sort of represents the downfall of analog in the 80's.  If I were Dave, accomplished the same things he had and was at the same age he was at the time, it would be hard to not have an negative emotional response to the influx of inexpensive digital synths and the rapid music fads that followed.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE a proper DX7 clone with good programmability.  I just feel that plugins do pretty well at FM synthesis.   One of my favorites, which is a little underrated and maybe in some circles unknown is Sytrus -- the interface is the best I've seen for FM synthesis, and it sounds great.

Then again if a module came along at a reasonable price that had that same "thunk" the original DX7 had, I'd be interested.  "Reasonable" being the operative concept.   I just don't know if Dave is interested in the "reasonably priced" market with synth makers like the "B" company emerging more and more.  I feel like he is more at a stage where he wants the premium market and to make every product count.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1489 on: October 16, 2020, 03:51:34 PM »
Anyone working in a tech field with an aversion to flux is in the wrong business to begin with. Besides, it's not like he's so allergic to it considering the P12 update to warrant such conjecture. We know like many of us here, he finds using soft synths on a comp to be work, so the advantage is purely with the interface and being self-contained. I for one am happy to use presets from Dexed (which is free), but I'm never going to sit and design my own patch on it. Although, I will agree a module would be a good place to start instead of the other way around. It could come in considerably cheaper than anything else in their line-up, while having no real competition (the Digitone would be a toy in comparison if done right) & certainly not further add to self-cannibalization. I'm not sure how many more flagships the market will support and the low-end analog portion has been fully saturated for some time now. FM has a lot of untapped potential in large part because no one has pulled off an appealing interface yet for those looking for something tactile. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 05:06:23 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

LPF83

« Reply #1490 on: October 16, 2020, 04:10:28 PM »
Anyone working in a tech field with an aversion to flux is in the wrong business to begin with. Besides, it's not like he's so allergic to it considering the P12 update to warrant such conjecture. We know like many of us here, he finds using soft synths on a comp to be work, so the advantage is purely with the interface and being self-contained. I for one am happy to use presets from Dexed (which is free), but I'm never going to sit and design my own patch on it. Although, I will agree a module would be a good place to start instead of the other way around. It could come in considerably cheaper than anything else in their line-up, while having no real competition (the Digitone would be a toy in comparison if done right) & certainly not further add to self-cannibalization. I'm not sure how many more flagships the market will support and the low-end analog portion has been fully saturated for some time now. FM has a lot of untapped potential in large part because no one has pulled of an appealing interface yet for those looking for something tactile.

FM has a lot of untapped potential in large part because no one has pulled of an appealing interface yet for those looking for something tactile.

Quoting that last line twice for its eloquence and relevance value.  The question is -- has nobody done it due to lack of ideas, or is it because the nature of FM synths and the amount of knob madness that would need to be done right, presents a bit of cost proposition dilemma?   If you need $1,500 worth of knobs to drive $50 worth of code and DSP, will the consumer be happy?

Take a look at the best FM programming interface I've seen to date... and we are only looking at one page:
  https://imgur.com/a/Z6YVvzU

What would the MSRP be on a "wall sized configuration of knobs" that could offer same?  And would consumers be happy when they found that regardless of controls available to manipulate everything properly, it is still orders of magnitude less intuitive than subtractive synthesis?  Sure, if could be a menu diver, but that is what the DX7 was and NOBODY likes programming a DX7.  It got where it was because it sounded good and VSTs weren't available at the time.

Now... do I think there is a way it could be done?  Simplified in a way so that not EVERYTHING possible with FM was on the panel, but enough to capture the soul and still be musical?   Yes and there are those, maybe Dave and crew who are talented enough to make that a possibility.  I just wonder if it's really in his wheelhouse to do so, or if analog is what he does best?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:13:25 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #1491 on: October 16, 2020, 04:15:38 PM »

Only thing is that unlike analog, a computer (PC/Mac with DAW I mean) can do FM pretty well (perhaps indistinguishably well).  Dave has always done analog synths like nobody else can do them, while the DX7 sort of represents the downfall of analog in the 80's.  If I were Dave, accomplished the same things he had and was at the same age he was at the time, it would be hard to not have an negative emotional response to the influx of inexpensive digital synths and the rapid music fads that followed.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE a proper DX7 clone with good programmability.  I just feel that plugins do pretty well at FM synthesis.   One of my favorites, which is a little underrated and maybe in some circles unknown is Sytrus -- the interface is the best I've seen for FM synthesis, and it sounds great.

Then again if a module came along at a reasonable price that had that same "thunk" the original DX7 had, I'd be interested.  "Reasonable" being the operative concept.   I just don't know if Dave is interested in the "reasonably priced" market with synth makers like the "B" company emerging more and more.  I feel like he is more at a stage where he wants the premium market and to make every product count.

Dave was part of the digital synth revolution too with the Prophet 2000 Sampler and Prophet VS.

Why not a FM based oscillator section in the front end and running through analog filters and amps? Dave has always ALWAYS said when you take digital oscillators or digital sounds and run them through analog filters....something magical happens.

LPF83

« Reply #1492 on: October 16, 2020, 04:48:46 PM »

Dave was part of the digital synth revolution too with the Prophet 2000 Sampler and Prophet VS.

Why not a FM based oscillator section in the front end and running through analog filters and amps? Dave has always ALWAYS said when you take digital oscillators or digital sounds and run them through analog filters....something magical happens.

I totally agree with him about the importance of filters, and I agree he could do something nice here.  I guess I'm more or less just wagering on what I think he will decide to do.   He also did a modular FX unit...  Can you imagine the possibilities there?  So it's not a matter of whether he could... it's just a matter of where he will choose to focus his energies.  And my hunches are only that.

I'd love a proper FM synth module, personally.  Probably won't make space for a keyboard, but that's my own (space) issue.

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1493 on: October 16, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seer_Systems
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg_Wavestation

« Reply #1494 on: October 27, 2020, 07:48:30 PM »
Hey Dave and company! Can we have a new reissued Pro One in a decent case now?!
Prophet 2000, Prophet 6, Prophet 600, Multi-Trak, TOM, Matrix6, Poly61, EX-800, Prologue16, DS-8, DW-8000, DSS-1, Wavestation A/D, M1R EX, JX-3P, D-550, S-550, Alpha Juno1, SY35, DX7, TX7, RX7/11/15/17, ESQ-1, Mirage DSK-8

LoboLives

« Reply #1495 on: October 27, 2020, 11:47:36 PM »

Why?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1496 on: October 28, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »

Dave is not Uli.  I wouldn't expect more re-issues.

LPF83

« Reply #1497 on: October 28, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »

I wouldn't mind to have a (real) Pro One module.  I don't want Behringer's version.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1498 on: October 28, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »

I wouldn't mind to have a (real) Pro One module.  I don't want Behringer's version.

Oh, I'd love to have a bonafide Pro One Keyboard from Dave, too.  I'm just saying, don't expect the Prophet 5/10 re-issue to be the beginning of a trend at Sequential.  I think the company would respond to you by pointing to the Pro 3.

LPF83

« Reply #1499 on: October 28, 2020, 01:02:46 PM »

Oh, I'd love to have a bonafide Pro One Keyboard from Dave, too.  I'm just saying, don't expect the Prophet 5/10 re-issue to be the beginning of a trend at Sequential.  I think the company would respond to you by pointing to the Pro 3.

I think there's definitely a finite limit on the number of products they would embark on recreating, but given the initial order demand for the P5/10 Rev4 (according to Dave.. he's kicking himself wondering why they didn't do this 10 years ago), I think a Pro One re-issue would make a lot of sense.  The exception to that might be the fact that the Pro One was originally an affordable/down market synth.  Dave might feel there are too many down-market competitors in this space already, and that a reissue wouldn't offer enough to warrant a modern "made in USA" price tag.  If he could do a reissue Pro One for the approximate price difference between market value of a vintage P5 and the reissue, then personally I think he would have a winner.