Next New Sequential Instrument

LoboLives

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1440 on: October 01, 2020, 09:34:10 PM »
It does kind of pose the question “Now what?” When it comes to Sequential synths. I guess...as much as I hate to say it....their monster VCO synth. So....now what? This is obviously a special nostalgic trip for a lot of us but I can’t help but think the next new (actually new ;) )Sequential synth is going to be something new and exciting.

It is quite amazing seeing the reactions with the P5 reissue though. Sometimes depressingly so. Something I found is that musicians who can’t afford luxury instruments are sometimes the most bitter, vocal and entitled people out there. If I see another post saying “Rich assholes and their stupid expensive synths...why can’t they make them in China. Music is for everyone! Egomaniacs! I deserve those synths!” I honestly have never seen guys like James Drone, Synthmania or Tim Shoebridge or whoever be combative towards people who purchase more economical products so I never understood why musicians who have the privilege of owning expensive gear suddenly become the target of aggression from those less fortunate. It’s one thing to be envious, it’s entirely another to be actively insulting towards other people simply because they have something you don’t.

Sorry for the rant it just bothers me when I read that stuff.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1441 on: October 01, 2020, 10:06:31 PM »
It is quite amazing seeing the reactions with the P5 reissue though. Sometimes depressingly so. Something I found is that musicians who can’t afford luxury instruments are sometimes the most bitter, vocal and entitled people out there. If I see another post saying “Rich assholes and their stupid expensive synths...why can’t they make them in China. Music is for everyone! Egomaniacs! I deserve those synths!” I honestly have never seen guys like James Drone, Synthmania or Tim Shoebridge or whoever be combative towards people who purchase more economical products so I never understood why musicians who have the privilege of owning expensive gear suddenly become the target of aggression from those less fortunate. It’s one thing to be envious, it’s entirely another to be actively insulting towards other people simply because they have something you don’t.

Isn't that what Behringer tapped into?

« Reply #1442 on: October 01, 2020, 10:11:46 PM »
Also just occurred to me. Oberheim has been filing patents/trademarks lately sooooo would it be too much to hope that we may see a new OB-8?
Fingers crossed for another awesome thing I’m too poor to buy! Haha
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:14:24 PM by CoffeePockets »
Prophet 2000, Prophet 6, Prophet 600, Multi-Trak, TOM, Matrix6, Poly61, EX-800, Prologue16, DS-8, DW-8000, DSS-1, Wavestation A/D, M1R EX, JX-3P, D-550, S-550, Alpha Juno1, SY35, DX7, TX7, RX7/11/15/17, ESQ-1, Mirage DSK-8

LoboLives

« Reply #1443 on: October 01, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
Also just occurred to me. Oberheim has been filing patents/trademarks lately sooooo would it be too much to hope that we may see a new OB-8?

Nope Gibson screwed Tom Oberheim over. It didn’t make a lot of press but that “gesture of goodwill” giving Tom the Oberheim brand back was banana oil. Behringer already trademarked it so Gibson gave Tom a brand name they didn’t even own as a PR stunt. I honestly think Tom is done making anything sadly.

« Reply #1444 on: October 01, 2020, 10:21:53 PM »

Nope Gibson screwed Tom Oberheim over. It didn’t make a lot of press but that “gesture of goodwill” giving Tom the Oberheim brand back was banana oil. Behringer already trademarked it so Gibson gave Tom a brand name they didn’t even own as a PR stunt. I honestly think Tom is done making anything sadly.
Well I find that simply unacceptable!
Prophet 2000, Prophet 6, Prophet 600, Multi-Trak, TOM, Matrix6, Poly61, EX-800, Prologue16, DS-8, DW-8000, DSS-1, Wavestation A/D, M1R EX, JX-3P, D-550, S-550, Alpha Juno1, SY35, DX7, TX7, RX7/11/15/17, ESQ-1, Mirage DSK-8

LoboLives

« Reply #1445 on: October 01, 2020, 10:27:56 PM »

Isn't that what Behringer tapped into?

Sadly. They’ve given a measuring stick to the entitled.

LoboLives

« Reply #1446 on: October 01, 2020, 10:32:19 PM »

Hence why I refuse to buy Gibson or if I do I’ll put a sticker over the name.

LoboLives

« Reply #1447 on: October 01, 2020, 10:33:45 PM »
After the Prophet-6, the Prophet '08 Rev2, and now the Prophets 5/10 Rev4, there's one direction for Sequential to head: the Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2.  Please!  No more of the "Dave doesn't do re-issues" claim.  Like bananas he doesn't!  Yes, it's time for the great blue monster to be revived.  Just look at this beauty:

Ehh I wouldn’t want a straight reissue of a Poly Evolver...Id want the next step.

« Reply #1448 on: October 01, 2020, 10:38:18 PM »

I’m really just a guitarist, my synth stuff is just for fun, and my brand loyalty is far and away “Gibson USA” so I’ll exercise my dissatisfaction by continuing to not support Behringer

LoboLives

« Reply #1449 on: October 01, 2020, 10:40:28 PM »

I’m really just a guitarist, my synth stuff is just for fun, and my brand loyalty is far and away “Gibson USA” so I’ll exercise my dissatisfaction by continuing to not support Behringer

I’ll stick with my BC Rich.

« Reply #1450 on: October 02, 2020, 05:53:26 AM »
I cleaned up this thread a bit. Please discuss the new Prophet-5/10 over here: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4668.0.html

And now back to speculation  ;)

LPF83

« Reply #1451 on: October 02, 2020, 06:24:36 AM »

But he just trademarked "OB-Xa" a few weeks back.  Why couldn't he release one in a collab with Dave like the OB-6?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #1452 on: October 02, 2020, 06:32:28 PM »

But he just trademarked "OB-Xa" a few weeks back.  Why couldn't he release one in a collab with Dave like the OB-6?

That’s my fear. Do we really need another reissue?

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #1453 on: October 02, 2020, 07:20:18 PM »
After the Prophet-6, the Prophet '08 Rev2, and now the Prophets 5/10 Rev4, there's one direction for Sequential to head: the Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2.  Please!  No more of the "Dave doesn't do re-issues" claim.  Like bananas he doesn't!  Yes, it's time for the great blue monster to be revived.  Just look at this beauty:

Ehh I wouldn’t want a straight reissue of a Poly Evolver...Id want the next step.

Ditto.  The Pro 3 really does seem like a spiritual successor to the Evlover and I was hoping that a Pro 3 six or eight voice was coming next :'(

LPF83

« Reply #1454 on: October 02, 2020, 08:07:30 PM »

If I can get a true reissue, with warranty, for a third of what the repair-risk original is going for then I say hell yes, bring me as many as I can afford and have space for.  I won't be able buy all of them probably, but a Prophet-5 and OB-X reissue?   If it took 40 years to get something comparable, what are these new re-issue synths going to be worth 3 decades from now?

An ARP 2600 is something I don't see myself buying...  because I don't think the sound itself brought as much to the music scene as all of the weird creative things that were done with it thanks to the drugs of the 70's :)... it might be a great synth but it's not getting my dollars.

Back to your original point though, you said you don't think there will be any more Oberheims, but then you said you're worried there will be.   Not needling you here, I'm genuinely interested in your position on this.  Can you clarify what you think will realistically happen and why and constrast it for what you would like (or not like) to happen and why?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #1455 on: October 02, 2020, 08:30:06 PM »
Ol' Lobo put down on a Two-Voice Pro and let's just say it did not go down well. Surprising to see his 180 shift on reissues though...

Shaw

« Reply #1456 on: October 02, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
Ol' Lobo put down on a Two-Voice Pro and let's just say it did not go down well. Surprising to see his 180 shift on reissues though...
Ouch!!!!  Bringing up old wounds.....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #1457 on: October 02, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »

I’m still considering getting a second hand one. Lol cause Tom isn’t going to do anything new.

In terms of reissues my lust for older synths getting reissued was for them to be improved and have new features added. Not a point to point remake with midi. I wouldn’t want a PolyMoog reissue. I want a PolyMoog for 2020...and the Moog One ain’t it. I don’t want a DX7 reissue....I want a DX7 for 2020 with a hands on interface. Not saying the P5 is reissue is that way but I was looking at all the instruments Sequential released over the years and it just seemed to be constantly improving and evolving. So it would be odd to take a step backwards. Especially when it’s not exactly what I would want to have. Don’t get me wrong the new P5 sounds INCREDIBLE but could the P6 sound just as good if tweaked properly?

LoboLives

« Reply #1458 on: October 02, 2020, 10:03:02 PM »

If I can get a true reissue, with warranty, for a third of what the repair-risk original is going for then I say hell yes, bring me as many as I can afford and have space for.  I won't be able buy all of them probably, but a Prophet-5 and OB-X reissue?   If it took 40 years to get something comparable, what are these new re-issue synths going to be worth 3 decades from now?

An ARP 2600 is something I don't see myself buying...  because I don't think the sound itself brought as much to the music scene as all of the weird creative things that were done with it thanks to the drugs of the 70's :)... it might be a great synth but it's not getting my dollars.

Back to your original point though, you said you don't think there will be any more Oberheims, but then you said you're worried there will be.   Not needling you here, I'm genuinely interested in your position on this.  Can you clarify what you think will realistically happen and why and constrast it for what you would like (or not like) to happen and why?

I’m not going to get into the Oberheim situation with myself here. My original post was removed and honestly the situation was a headache for both parties involved. If you wish to know more you can DM me.

The reason I don’t want to see an Oberheim OBX reissue or even OBXa reissue is because if you look at the history of Sequential’s instruments it’s constantly improving and evolving. From the Prophet 5 to the Prophet 10 to the Prophet T8 it just keeps moving forward...I don’t want to see them suddenly start reissuing classics for the sake of it. As heartwarming as it is it doesn’t move things forward.

Let me put it this way....as much as I would love a reissue of the Prophet 10 in its double keyboard form.....I’d rather see a double keyboard version with two Prophet 6 engines.

LPF83

« Reply #1459 on: October 03, 2020, 04:52:26 AM »

I’m not going to get into the Oberheim situation with myself here. My original post was removed and honestly the situation was a headache for both parties involved. If you wish to know more you can DM me.

The reason I don’t want to see an Oberheim OBX reissue or even OBXa reissue is because if you look at the history of Sequential’s instruments it’s constantly improving and evolving. From the Prophet 5 to the Prophet 10 to the Prophet T8 it just keeps moving forward...I don’t want to see them suddenly start reissuing classics for the sake of it. As heartwarming as it is it doesn’t move things forward.

Let me put it this way....as much as I would love a reissue of the Prophet 10 in its double keyboard form.....I’d rather see a double keyboard version with two Prophet 6 engines.

PM'd you on the Obie story.

Also, thanks for clarification.  I can definitely understand each of us having an interest in where Sequential is going next... they are a small company and focus in one area takes away from focus in other. 

But I have to say, for those wanting an evolution of the Prophet-5, the Prophet-6 is already that, and since you own one, you know what a special instrument it really is.   So as I see it, Dave has already moved things forward in the analog poly space, but realized there is an increasing market for the sound of vintage gear, and is addressing that market in addition to the advancements that have already been made. 

Some could say the increase in popularity of synthwave itself (which is driving a lot of the demand for analog) is in some ways "going backwards"...  but others who enjoy retro-inspired synth music are saying "thank god that good music is happening again" because it was something tragically knocked off the map for so many decades.

A LOT of people have dreamed of owning a P5 for its signature sound but couldn't justify it.  For that crowd, the ability to switch filter types (Rev 1/2 or 3) and have the option of aftertouch and velocity are huge advancements.  But like music itself, what's desirable in an instrument is always subjective, and pleasing everyone is an impossible goal (and a goal that I hope Dave never tries to pursue, because then such a small company really would lose their focus).

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 04:55:19 AM by LPF83 »