Next New Sequential Instrument

jg666

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1380 on: September 25, 2020, 03:48:17 AM »
Good news everyone!   I just purchased a Matriarch which means Sequential will be announcing their new synth (making me regret my purchase) imminently!  (at least, that's how it usually goes)

You was nearly right... I see Moog have just announced 'Dark' versions of the Grandmother and Matriarch !
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Shaw

« Reply #1381 on: September 25, 2020, 05:16:20 AM »
Good news everyone!   I just purchased a Matriarch which means Sequential will be announcing their new synth (making me regret my purchase) imminently!  (at least, that's how it usually goes)

You was nearly right... I see Moog have just announced 'Dark' versions of the Grandmother and Matriarch !
No Shit... I’ve emailed my Sweetwater rep to see if I can trade up.... my synth collection contains several nice looking synths... and then there’s the Moog “fruit loops”
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jg666

« Reply #1382 on: September 25, 2020, 05:22:10 AM »

No Shit... I’ve emailed my Sweetwater rep to see if I can trade up.... my synth collection contains several nice looking synths... and then there’s the Moog “fruit loops”

Hopefully they will let you do this (fingers crossed) :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #1383 on: September 25, 2020, 05:44:02 AM »
I prefer the fruit loops.

Shaw

« Reply #1384 on: September 25, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »
Hopefully they will let you do this (fingers crossed) :)

Not really a big deal.  I’m happy to keep the pastel colored version. I don’t do gigs, so I’m the only one who sees it... but I do think the all black version is more visually inspiring — it matches the sonic character of the Matriarch.

When I was little, my grandfather used to tell me “... and that’s why they make both vanilla and chocolate”.   :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jok3r

« Reply #1385 on: September 25, 2020, 09:02:20 AM »

I prefer the fruit loops, too. And in Germany it seems like the Dark version costs 200€ more?! I think that's very much for a "design option" ...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LPF83

« Reply #1386 on: September 25, 2020, 01:56:50 PM »

I prefer the fruit loops, too. And in Germany it seems like the Dark version costs 200€ more?! I think that's very much for a "design option" ...

I prefer the dark look to multicolor, but I totally agree with you on the cost premium for minor design changes... It looks like price is the same in the US, wonder if that's an individual retailer or a Moog thing in Europe?  Honestly I can say the same for the Pro3 Special Edition.  If I ever do own a P3, I'd want the flip up top, and I expect wood on an analog synth, but a $500 price premium for just those two features seems a bit much.  We could call that Dave's tequila tax!..   still love the guy though.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #1387 on: September 25, 2020, 02:43:58 PM »
I prefer the "Radio Shack" looking design for the Matriarch but the "Dark" design for the Grandmother.

I dunno I think I'm just bored with dark looking synths. Which is why I hope Sequential's next synth is white...or blue.

jg666

« Reply #1388 on: September 25, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »
I know what you mean about wanting a change from dark/black synths... During the lockdown a UK shop had an amazing deal on white Yamaha Montage synths, so I just had to get one as it looks really good in my opinion :)

I don’t think I’d pay extra for the Moog black version.

LoboLives

« Reply #1389 on: September 25, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »
I know what you mean about wanting a change from dark/black synths... During the lockdown a UK shop had an amazing deal on white Yamaha Montage synths, so I just had to get one as it looks really good in my opinion :)

That white Montage looks sharp.....and that white Prophet 12 looked excellent. I know Dave might night think it would be received well by customers but I think the response would generally be positive if it was a blue tribute to the Poly Evolver or even something based off of the white P12. I think people would generally appreciate it looking visually different.

jg666

« Reply #1390 on: September 25, 2020, 03:08:35 PM »

That white Montage looks sharp.....and that white Prophet 12 looked excellent. I know Dave might night think it would be received well by customers but I think the response would generally be positive if it was a blue tribute to the Poly Evolver or even something based off of the white P12. I think people would generally appreciate it looking visually different.

I agree. Something that looks different would be appreciated by many.

jok3r

« Reply #1391 on: September 26, 2020, 03:35:26 AM »

I prefer the dark look to multicolor, but I totally agree with you on the cost premium for minor design changes... It looks like price is the same in the US, wonder if that's an individual retailer or a Moog thing in Europe?  Honestly I can say the same for the Pro3 Special Edition.  If I ever do own a P3, I'd want the flip up top, and I expect wood on an analog synth, but a $500 price premium for just those two features seems a bit much.  We could call that Dave's tequila tax!..   still love the guy though.

At least the Pro3 SE has some kind of additional "functionality" with the adjustable panel and the wood ends are another material, so the price has to be different. I don't want to judge, if it's too much, or not... but it's OK that it is different...

But the Moog Dark Series is just another finish of the front plate I would guess. That should not make a big difference...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LPF83

« Reply #1392 on: September 26, 2020, 05:00:08 AM »

At least the Pro3 SE has some kind of additional "functionality" with the adjustable panel and the wood ends are another material, so the price has to be different. I don't want to judge, if it's too much, or not... but it's OK that it is different...

But the Moog Dark Series is just another finish of the front plate I would guess. That should not make a big difference...

Agree, it shouldn't.  The dark version is a couple of hundred quids higher at Andertons as well, so it's not just in Germany.  That makes me wonder if Moog is encountering some new export expense that they have decided to try to recover on the dark versions rather than suffer the bad press of increasing the price of existing versions.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #1393 on: September 26, 2020, 07:03:28 AM »
The major store closest to me has the Dark at the same price as the puke pastel version.  I also noticed that they dropped the price of the Matrixbrute by $500 now that the Polybrute is coming out in a few months.

LPF83

« Reply #1394 on: September 26, 2020, 08:31:02 AM »

Agree, it shouldn't.  The dark version is a couple of hundred quid higher at Andertons as well, so it's not just in Germany.  That makes me wonder if Moog is encountering some new export expense that they have decided to try to recover on the dark versions rather than suffer the bad press of increasing the price of existing versions.

LoboLives

« Reply #1395 on: September 26, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »
I think Moog is just trying to be the Gibson of the synth world. You are paying a premium for whatever they feel deserves it.

Shaw

« Reply #1396 on: September 26, 2020, 12:43:26 PM »
I think Moog is just trying to be the Gibson of the synth world. You are paying a premium for whatever they feel deserves it.
But the Dark version is the same price in the US.

Perhaps overseas distributors are taking a larger share.

LoboLives

« Reply #1397 on: September 26, 2020, 02:27:57 PM »
But the Dark version is the same price in the US.

Perhaps overseas distributors are taking a larger share.

Well times are tough I suppose.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #1398 on: September 26, 2020, 08:10:50 PM »
Three days left of September and still no word on what Sequential has under the covers.  I'm still hoping for a desktop Pro 3, but I'm sure there something else bigger and better on the way (like a Pro 3 Six!)
Depends on which store you look at.  Some stores charge a premium on alt colours, as if they are a limited edition release when in reality they are not.  It's a common practice with Doepfer "vintage" panels.  Only thing to do is to shop around or if your preferred store is trying it on, just say to them "Can I have it at the regular price please?" and let them act like they are doing you a deal....

But yeah, Moog do charge a bit too much for what their products.  But what do you do, other than not buy them?

Shaw

« Reply #1399 on: September 26, 2020, 10:27:23 PM »
But yeah, Moog do charge a bit too much for what their products.
That has certainly been what I have thought over the history of Moog, but I am starting to change my mind about that a little.

Take the Moog One for example.  The 16 voice runs you $530 per analogue voice — that’s if you don’t have a relationship with a dealer and I can get a bit of a discount (most people do and can). That “per voice” cost (while certainly more expensive than a Rev 2 or Prologue) is in line with OB-6 / P6. Yet the Moog One offers a lot that the OB-6 / P6 doesn’t — more LFOs, envelopes, a very comprehensive mod matrix, 61 keys in a keybed that is second to none...  it’s a “whole is greater than the sum of the parts” argument.  I’m not knocking the OB-6 or P6, not at all — they are both stellar.  But for what it does, the Moog One is priced about right for 16 analogue voices.

As for the Matriarch... similar statement.  While it doesn’t have a mod matrix or presets, 4 OSCs, 2 LFOs, 2 envelopes... and THAT sound.  It just has that sound that no other mono synth that I’ve had my hands on can produce.  I haven’t played the Pro 3, and I’m sure it’s stellar. But the Matriarch is in the same range ($100 cheaper than the SE).  I see them as very different creatures — I believe most synthesists would.

Anyway, I’ve had a couple Scotchs.... so I hope I’m coherent.  But the Matriarch produces a tone that can be warm, beefy, creamy... that Moog tone in the past (Voyager, Model D) would have cost you more.