Next New Sequential Instrument

LPF83

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1320 on: August 26, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »
Still over here pulling for my Pro 3 module. After all, the design of the SE would seem to lend itself perfectly to simply divorcing the keys from the hinged control panel, a little bit of internal layout modification to move the power supply and whatever else lives in the lower case and bingo-bango I get my Pro 3 without having to find room for YET ANOTHER set of keys!
These fingers are staying crossed.

I totally agree.  A Pro 3 Module would be most desirable.  The musical power of that instrument could be immensely stronger if attached to a five-octave keyboard.  If it had been given one even of four octaves, I would make it my long sought-after monophonic synthesizer.  Three octaves is just too short for my style of music.  But a module could solve this.

I'd also welcome a Pro3 module if it came in at around $800.  Maybe even $1k if controls adjustable like the SE version.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #1321 on: August 27, 2020, 01:18:53 AM »
Still over here pulling for my Pro 3 module. After all, the design of the SE would seem to lend itself perfectly to simply divorcing the keys from the hinged control panel, a little bit of internal layout modification to move the power supply and whatever else lives in the lower case and bingo-bango I get my Pro 3 without having to find room for YET ANOTHER set of keys!
These fingers are staying crossed.

I totally agree.  A Pro 3 Module would be most desirable.  The musical power of that instrument could be immensely stronger if attached to a five-octave keyboard.  If it had been given one even of four octaves, I would make it my long sought-after monophonic synthesizer.  Three octaves is just too short for my style of music.  But a module could solve this.

I'd also welcome a Pro3 module if it came in at around $800.  Maybe even $1k if controls adjustable like the SE version.

The price difference between the modules that have already been released and their full-size versions would lead me to assume that they could hit sub $1000 price point easily, your $800 might not be too far off!
Prophet 2000, Prophet 6, Prophet 600, Multi-Trak, TOM, Matrix6, Poly61, EX-800, Prologue16, DS-8, DW-8000, DSS-1, Wavestation A/D, M1R EX, JX-3P, D-550, S-550, Alpha Juno1, SY35, DX7, TX7, RX7/11/15/17, ESQ-1, Mirage DSK-8

jok3r

« Reply #1322 on: August 27, 2020, 01:32:09 AM »
The more Pro3 videos I watch, the more I hope the next synth will be a Poly Pro3... or better not, because I don't know if I can wait any longer, before I buy a mono one. If a poly came after my purchase, it would really really upset me.

I don't really need a new poly, but if I have the choice between a mono and a poly with similar architecture, I would always choose the poly for flexibility.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LPF83

« Reply #1323 on: August 27, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »
The price difference between the modules that have already been released and their full-size versions would lead me to assume that they could hit sub $1000 price point easily, your $800 might not be too far off!

With a Rev2 8 voice module going for $1,300, I think it would definitely need to be in that price range to be a sales success, especially with MinilogueXD module going for $550 -- it's not a direct competitor being a 4 voice poly instead of a mono, but 4 voices in unison mode makes a pretty mean monosynth.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #1324 on: August 27, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »
The more Pro3 videos I watch, the more I hope the next synth will be a Poly Pro3... or better not, because I don't know if I can wait any longer, before I buy a mono one. If a poly came after my purchase, it would really really upset me.

I don't really need a new poly, but if I have the choice between a mono and a poly with similar architecture, I would always choose the poly for flexibility.

If a Polyphonic version of the Pro 3 architecture came out I’d want two VCOs and two Wavetable oscillators. Just having one Wavetable oscillator on a poly synth would feel a bit lacking.

« Reply #1325 on: August 27, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
It seems to work pretty well on the Korg Prologue though.

LoboLives

« Reply #1326 on: August 27, 2020, 02:01:14 PM »
It seems to work pretty well on the Korg Prologue though.

Nah, you can’t do vector synthesis properly with one wavetable. You have a wider tonal palette with two.

LoboLives

« Reply #1327 on: August 27, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »
Also....as random as this sounds....I really hope the synth is a different color or at least visually different enough from the synths on their current catalog. I really like the look of that white Prophet 12 but perhaps with blue LEDs. I dunno, just something visually different to make it stand out.

LPF83

« Reply #1328 on: August 27, 2020, 03:39:29 PM »
Also....as random as this sounds....I really hope the synth is a different color or at least visually different enough from the synths on their current catalog. I really like the look of that white Prophet 12 but perhaps with blue LEDs. I dunno, just something visually different to make it stand out.

Only 20 mins ago I was looking at the P6, OB6 and Rev2 side-by-side, and noticing the small details such as thinner wood side panels on the OB-6, same width on the two Prophet brothers...  Different wood grain on each, fasteners in different locations, etc... even texture of metal surface feels different.  Very subtle differences mostly, and while the OB6 blends in with its siblings, and interacting with it feels familiar in just the right amounts, everything from its labeling to its knob style sort of screams out "hey I'm a brother from another mother!"... or maybe another father in this case :).

So I guess I'm digging the subtle product differentiation Dave has going right now.  Maybe I'm just old school in that regard, like Dave himself?   

Then again, if a successor to the Poly Evolver were to emerge, homage to the funky coloring wouldn't be too inappropriate.  Just no "mopho yellow" please (no offense to Mopho owners of course :)..
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:41:18 PM by LPF83 »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1329 on: August 27, 2020, 03:45:56 PM »
Then again, if a successor to the Poly Evolver were to emerge, homage to the funky coloring wouldn't be too inappropriate.

Let's refresh our memory of this magnificent sounding and looking instrument. 

LoboLives

« Reply #1330 on: August 27, 2020, 06:00:16 PM »

Only 20 mins ago I was looking at the P6, OB6 and Rev2 side-by-side, and noticing the small details such as thinner wood side panels on the OB-6, same width on the two Prophet brothers...  Different wood grain on each, fasteners in different locations, etc... even texture of metal surface feels different.  Very subtle differences mostly, and while the OB6 blends in with its siblings, and interacting with it feels familiar in just the right amounts, everything from its labeling to its knob style sort of screams out "hey I'm a brother from another mother!"... or maybe another father in this case :).

So I guess I'm digging the subtle product differentiation Dave has going right now.  Maybe I'm just old school in that regard, like Dave himself?   

Then again, if a successor to the Poly Evolver were to emerge, homage to the funky coloring wouldn't be too inappropriate.  Just no "mopho yellow" please (no offense to Mopho owners of course :)..

Oh yeah, I’m not saying the designs are the exact same but just little things...like different color LEDs or something.

I still say a Sequential synth in white with Blue leds And Wavetable based or an FM based synth and green leds or something that really makes it stand out visually. Not just small details. Even with the UDO Super 6 everyone I’ve spoken with said that they love the blue version because of how different it looks.

I think looking at the current synth market Sequential doing a blue synth or a white synth would be quite eye catching and really help it stand out from the run of the mill black and white color pallet most synths have these days. Look at how eye popping the new Moog Grandmother And Matriarch are.

Shaw

« Reply #1331 on: August 27, 2020, 07:27:57 PM »

Only 20 mins ago I was looking at the P6, OB6 and Rev2 side-by-side, and noticing the small details such as thinner wood side panels on the OB-6, same width on the two Prophet brothers...  Different wood grain on each, fasteners in different locations, etc... even texture of metal surface feels different.  Very subtle differences mostly, and while the OB6 blends in with its siblings, and interacting with it feels familiar in just the right amounts, everything from its labeling to its knob style sort of screams out "hey I'm a brother from another mother!"... or maybe another father in this case :) .

Then again, if a successor to the Poly Evolver were to emerge, homage to the funky coloring wouldn't be too inappropriate.  Just no "mopho yellow" please (no offense to Mopho owners of course :) ..

Oh yeah, I’m not saying the designs are the exact same but just little things...like different color LEDs or something.

I still say a Sequential synth in white with Blue leds And Wavetable based or an FM based synth and green leds or something that really makes it stand out visually. Not just small details. Even with the UDO Super 6 everyone I’ve spoken with said that they love the blue version because of how different it looks.

I think looking at the current synth market Sequential doing a blue synth or a white synth would be quite eye catching and really help it stand out from the run of the mill black and white color pallet most synths have these days. Look at how eye popping the new Moog Grandmother And Matriarch are.

Looking at my current synth line up, I’m not sure what Dave could make that I need... but I’m sure it will be something.

I’d like to see something like an expansion of the Prophet 6... all analogue, 12 voice, bi or tri-timbral — with the ability for “inter-timbral” modulations... i.e. Layer A’s LFO could modulate destinations on both Layer A and Layer B.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #1332 on: August 27, 2020, 07:31:05 PM »

Only 20 mins ago I was looking at the P6, OB6 and Rev2 side-by-side, and noticing the small details such as thinner wood side panels on the OB-6, same width on the two Prophet brothers...  Different wood grain on each, fasteners in different locations, etc... even texture of metal surface feels different.  Very subtle differences mostly, and while the OB6 blends in with its siblings, and interacting with it feels familiar in just the right amounts, everything from its labeling to its knob style sort of screams out "hey I'm a brother from another mother!"... or maybe another father in this case :) .

Then again, if a successor to the Poly Evolver were to emerge, homage to the funky coloring wouldn't be too inappropriate.  Just no "mopho yellow" please (no offense to Mopho owners of course :) ..

Looking at my current synth line up, I’m not sure what Dave could make that I need... but I’m sure it will be something.

I’d like to see something like an expansion of the Prophet 6... all analogue, 12 voice, bi or tri-timbral — with the ability for “inter-timbral” modulations... i.e. Layer A’s LFO could modulate destinations on both Layer A and Layer B.

Sequential Waves-A Wavetable based synth with analog filters.
Prophet 20-A ten voice VCO, ten voice wavetable hybrid synth.
Prophet FM-A hands on 8 operator FM synth with analog filters.

or

A Sequential standalone multitrack sequencer.

« Reply #1333 on: August 28, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »
Then again, if a successor to the Poly Evolver were to emerge, homage to the funky coloring wouldn't be too inappropriate.

A new version with 16 voices, better buttons, better display. Same blue :)

That would do me.

« Reply #1334 on: August 28, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »

That would do me.

wouldn't a 16 voice Poly Evolver be much the same as the Rev2?  I pretty much have zero experience with the evolver other than drooling over a used one that was at my local music shop  last year.

« Reply #1335 on: August 28, 2020, 12:53:01 PM »
A thought came to me this morning. 

How about a Prophet XXL?  With an 88 key fully weighted key bed?

LoboLives

« Reply #1336 on: August 28, 2020, 01:10:19 PM »

Or Prophet XS

A desktop module

Shaw

« Reply #1337 on: August 28, 2020, 01:10:51 PM »

It would need at least double the polyphony
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #1338 on: August 28, 2020, 01:12:25 PM »

That would do me.

wouldn't a 16 voice Poly Evolver be much the same as the Rev2?  I pretty much have zero experience with the evolver other than drooling over a used one that was at my local music shop  last year.

No. Totally different architecture.

"Each voice is a complete Evolver with four oscillators per voice: two analog and two digital - it's a true analog/digital hybrid synth. The analog oscillators feature multiple classic waveforms plus pulse-width modulation and hard sync, and they sound really nice and big. The digital oscillators feature FM synthesis, Ring Modulation and 96 Prophet VS wavetables plus 32 user wavetables (loaded via MIDI only)."

LPF83

« Reply #1339 on: August 28, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »
Or Prophet XS

A desktop module

This would interest me greatly - but the module needs to do everything the keyboard version does without menu diving.  I was excited to see the Iridium announced, only to find out later they replaced the analog filter with a digital one.  I'm sure it sounds great but I was interested in a module-form Quantum, not a watered-down Quantum.

What I'm really pining for is something like a Prophet 12 successor in module form (but with plenty of knobs and hopefully a Pro-3-like sequencer).  Given that the Prophet 12 is discontinued, I think it's actually a fairly realistic wish list item.  I love my P6 and Rev2 and do not feel they need a successor.  One can get more polyphony from the P6 by adding a desktop version to the keyboard or vice versa.

I've actually considered a Waldorf Kyra for my digital needs; my analog situation is very well covered.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 03:10:47 PM by LPF83 »