Next New Sequential Instrument

dslsynth

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2016, 02:19:19 PM »
I mean a synthesizer with plenty of analog discrete electronics voice boards. Could be quite heavy hence the Rhodes comparison. Second guess is the right one.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
I thought something that could replace the Rhodes Chroma https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDbz-1RBLmU

That synth's architecture is massive! http://www.rhodeschroma.com/
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 11:45:04 PM »
8/12 voice Analog synth from DSI in the P8 desktop price range with USB MIDI 2.0/3,0 at around (1300~1400 euro) where you could allocate each voice to an individual midi channel, and you could use for example (timbres x voices)  2 x 4 , 1 x 8 (as today, but also) 4x1+2x2,4x1+2x2 etc..  Lots of folks don't need a lot of poly for for some sounds, even mono is fine and having several of these would be nice. Wouldn't this be technically possible with current P6/P8/12's with a firmware change?

Other ideas could be a P8/P6 or P12 based low cost 4 voice 1U module w/o knobs (jutst MIDI), at a low price, where you could hook 2 or 3 up together for more poly (or as an extension for voice for a P8 from 8 to 12 etc.) .

dslsynth

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »
https://reverb.com/news/reverb-interview-dave-smith-on-synths-inspiration-and-experimentation

"We have a couple surprises coming up soon and more in the works after that."

. o O ( hopefully small voice count modules )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »
https://reverb.com/news/reverb-interview-dave-smith-on-synths-inspiration-and-experimentation

"We have a couple surprises coming up soon and more in the works after that."

. o O ( hopefully small voice count modules )

I'm hoping for mini keys.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
I wonder if one of those new items could be an OB-6 Module.

chysn

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »
Probably about time to pick up this thread again, now that we know what the last new DSI instrument was.

I've already said my things, if not in this thread, then elsewhere. I was tempted to make a thread called "Another Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth," but I'm not quite as rigorous as Sacred Synthesis in my requirements. And also, I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the Little Phatty and the Evolver are co-perfect mono synths, and that maybe there's no need for a quest at all.

If DSI were to decide to make another mono synth, here's all I want:

(1) Three octaves. I've got an acoustic piano, so 37 keys does it for me on a mono synth.
(2) Nice wooden cabinetry, like the Prophet 6.
(3) I mean, really, basically a monophonic Prophet 6.
(4) But with or without the effects section. Don't care.
(5) CV ins would be essential, though. CV outs would be way cool. I'm planning on buying a CP-251, and I want to keep it when I change synths.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If something like this comes along by the next NAMM, and is priced somewhere in the Pro2 range, it'll be sitting on my synth table. If not, I dunno. Maybe I'll just get a Voyager or some crazy thing. Or revisit the Pro2. Who knows? That's the fun of the whole thing.

But what do I think they're going to do? I think they're going to release an OB6 module. And I also think we haven't seen the end of Prophet 6/OB6 as a platform for new oscillator/filter/signal routing combinations.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 02:51:51 PM »
For me a 12 voice, two timbal P6/OB6 with the modulation abilities of the P12/P2 would be a definate buy.

Something like the VS would be pretty neat as well.

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2016, 04:43:40 PM »

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2016, 07:10:17 PM »
I've thought about this after watching the Nashville Users Group clip, and I can only see (albeit blindly) three collaborations that might line up for next month's release. Mind you - I have no clue what I am talking about, just guessing wildly.

• Keyboard Sampler with Dave Rossum, possibly with sample import capability (e.g., Prophet 2000 and 3000, E-mu EIII / Emax, Akai/MPC, others) and definitely with analogue filters (SSM-style, as found in the Pro 2 and Prophet 6). Like the Tempest, this is a known product area that the legacy Sequential product line made more than one attempt at.
  • Polyphonic Synthesizer with true Moog ladder filters (!), as it's highly unlikely that Moog Music would build one themselves with any great degree of reliability. This would likely use the same mainboard, or an expanded version with a larger number of CV inputs and outputs.
  • Wavetable / Hybrid Synthesizer, possibly with Wolfgang Palm, and maybe with a retro touch along the lines of the OB-6, and definitely with analogue filters, though I think that this might be a great opportunity for Curtis (Wave 2) + SSM filters (Wave 2.x) in the same unit. Anyone notice that the Waldorf Eurorack modules are missing a proper analogue filter?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:17:27 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2016, 10:39:03 PM »
Now this is what I would call a rather surprising move: http://djworx.com/worlds-collide-dave-smith-meets-pioneer-dj/

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2016, 01:09:35 AM »
!

chysn

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2016, 05:34:24 AM »
Q: What do you get if you cross Pioneer DJ with Dave Smith?
A: A sad, sad thing.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2016, 06:05:39 AM »
I've thought about this after watching the Nashville Users Group clip, and I can only see (albeit blindly) three collaborations that might line up for next month's release. Mind you - I have no clue what I am talking about, just guessing wildly.

• Keyboard Sampler with Dave Rossum, possibly with sample import capability (e.g., Prophet 2000 and 3000, E-mu EIII / Emax, Akai/MPC, others) and definitely with analogue filters (SSM-style, as found in the Pro 2 and Prophet 6). Like the Tempest, this is a known product area that the legacy Sequential product line made more than one attempt at.
  • Polyphonic Synthesizer with true Moog ladder filters (!), as it's highly unlikely that Moog Music would build one themselves with any great degree of reliability. This would likely use the same mainboard, or an expanded version with a larger number of CV inputs and outputs.
  • Wavetable / Hybrid Synthesizer, possibly with Wolfgang Palm, and maybe with a retro touch along the lines of the OB-6, and definitely with analogue filters, though I think that this might be a great opportunity for Curtis (Wave 2) + SSM filters (Wave 2.x) in the same unit. Anyone notice that the Waldorf Eurorack modules are missing a proper analogue filter?

I hope not... that would fill out my last three stereo channels in my mixer, and at the same time leave a big hole in my wallet  :-\
If you need me, follow the shadows...

chysn

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2016, 06:14:20 AM »
I just familiarized myself with Pioneer DJ's catalog. They make four types of sad things. Oh, and if my comments below make it seem like I have no respect for the art of DJing, that's only because I have no respect for the art of DJing.

(1) The make "Players." Players are basically CD players with extra buttons. They also play other media, and give you ways to blend different things together on the beat. So that the dancers can keep dancing, or something.

(2) They also make "Mixers." DJ mixers are sort of like real mixers, except that they use RCA jacks that can last up to about a week before breaking. You need one of these if you use multiple players.

(3) Pioneer DJ also makes "Controllers," which allow you to pretend that your CD player (see #1) is a turntable, so that the artist can move it back and forth and make pretend scratching sounds.

(4) And the other sad thing that Pioneer DJ makes? "All-in-one systems," which combine all three of the other sad things into a single sad thing.

I can't wait to see what DSI brings to this table. Some sort of analog rhythm unit makes the most sense, and may serve to extend Pioneer DJ's catalog into less sad things. But such a rhythm unit would logically have to be plagued with RCA jacks. Roland used to (maybe still does, but who cares?) make pretty cool (but also plagued with RCA jacks) DJ-oriented samplers. These almost made DJing seem potentially interesting. Maybe DSI is getting back into the sample market via the groove sampler, which is still sad, but perhaps hints at real instruments to come.

Whatever it turns out to be, I'm preparing my best shrug.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:16:23 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

blewis

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2016, 06:39:48 AM »
Nice summary.  :D

I'm hoping for good things but prepping for "our new DJ gear has dBBD delays and two analog filters from DSI". And a tempo synced LFO or two for the filters.

Also hoping it doesn't budge my GAS needle.

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2016, 06:43:23 AM »
Sampling? Analogue filters? A few analogue oscillators? And the mass-market uptake (from a much-larger dance/DJ-oriented prosumer electronics manufacturer, no less) to justify a new run of DSI-120 (or whatever the new equivalent might be) synthesizer-on-a-chip(s)?

For those who wanted drum synths or low-end analogue / hybrid sound modules to replace the Mopho / Tetra / Evolver, this might be exactly what you asked for. And-in a clever bit of staging-it bypasses the noise of the Superbooth announcements that nearly everyone else would be looking for cues from.

(edited) And yes, BBD delays would be cool, too....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:45:40 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »
Q: What do you get if you cross Pioneer DJ with Dave Smith?
A: A sad, sad thing.

Believe me - I feel your pain, and share it.  Pardon my lack of enthusiasm, but it's another box for the dance crowd, while fine keyboard music drums its fingers in impatience.  I sure hope this is not DSI's new direction - smaller instruments, shorter keyboards, fewer voices, and this kind of gadget.  How about some desktop and rackmount effects designed just for keyboardists?  And some five-octave instruments once again?  C'mon now, let's get back to the major league with musical instruments designed for grown men.   

Here I am, able and eager as can be to put some money into my set up, and nothing new strikes me.  Amazingly, after all these years, nothing yet makes my Poly Evolvers and Prophet '08s look obsolete.  They're looking bigger and better by comparison every day. 

Hopefully, next year's new instrument will resemble in size and power the earlier days of DSI.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:59:22 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2016, 03:35:59 PM »
Well Dave mentioned yet another surprising collaboration in a recent interview so that could indeed be this Pioneer DJ thingy. However, I noticed that all the articles I could find about the collab were deleted again and that its Great Trustability Day (TM) over here now so could it be a date dependent artifact? ;-)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »
Well Dave mentioned yet another surprising collaboration in a recent interview so that could indeed be this Pioneer DJ thingy. However, I noticed that all the articles I could find about the collab were deleted again and that its Great Trustability Day (TM) over here now so could it be a date dependent artifact? ;-)

I was thinking about an April fool hoax as well. Who knows? If there's any truth to it, it would certainly be unexpected. But I also find it hard to imagine what could be the outcome of such a collaboration. I mean it's not that DJ stuff is the hottest new thing in town, nor do I see any room for another pad controller (if the design of the ad was anything to go by).

Most people I know were disappointed that this wasn't about DSI and Buchla.