Next New Sequential Instrument

LoboLives

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1280 on: August 08, 2020, 11:41:07 PM »
Whatever it is, I hope it's not one of those "groove box" things.
I hope it's something I can't even imagine.

Oh I dunno might be a nice throwback to the Sequential Studio 440

jok3r

« Reply #1281 on: August 09, 2020, 12:20:53 PM »
What ever it is... it is august and I want to know it NOW!

(before I throw my money on a full size church-organ-like midi bass pedal... since we‘re not allowed to play any cover band gigs at the moment, I went back to the roots and startet playing organ in church again... different kind of gig... but still a gig ;-) )
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1282 on: August 09, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »
Which pedal board are you considering?

jok3r

« Reply #1283 on: August 09, 2020, 02:41:45 PM »
Which pedal board are you considering?

This one...

https://www.thomann.de/de/viscount_midi_bass_pedal_27_dark_oak.htm

... because its dimensions and pedal count is pretty much the same as in our church. For practicing at home.

Or perhaps this one...

https://www.thomann.de/de/viscount_midi_basspedal_30_konkav.htm

... because it has more pedals and the concave building is more ergonomical in my opinion. Some other churchers near my home town have pedals like this and I liked it very much when I played there.

Because of the price point and lesser weight, I'm tending more towards the first one. Perhaps I could even integrate this in my life setup, when I can play with my band again. Sometimes I could need another hand... and then I remember "hey I could do this with a pedal, because I learned to play the organ when I was a teenager".

I didn't play any church services or the organ in common for 7-8 years now, so never really considered buying one. But now I play again and have a lot of synth at home, so I could build a crazy synth organ like you have. To be true, you and your music are a great inspiration for me. I would like to practice classical organ literature at home without having to go to church and annoy the neighbors for hours every day. And I would like to do something in combination with my synth in a more experimental way like you do. Or a mix of both. Some organ pieces sound absolutely wonderful when played on (analog) synthesizers. What pedal do you use?
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1284 on: August 09, 2020, 04:04:17 PM »
I've played organs with both types of pedal boards, as well as concave/radiating, which is defninitely what I prefer.  I've always found the first one you linked to a killer on the ankles, especially if you follow the classical technique of keeping your knees together while playing on the inside of your feet. 

You bring up a very important topic.  I'm able to afford an instrument right now.  I'd buy a Rev2 if the (final?) update was available.  But I've also been thinking about getting a larger pedal board.  I've gone through several models, but am presently using this one:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hammond-xpk-200l-20-note-pedal-board?source=3WWRWXMG&msclkid=8687143cbe5919b010bc4b0c3e6de9f1&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=

The size is inadequate for what I'd like to do and it has held me back for years, especially from playing the organ literature.  So, I'd love to get this one:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/nord-pedal-keys-27?source=3WWRWXMG&msclkid=c113366b5922195a56e7695bd9ada512&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=

Of course, I'd much prefer a full pedal board, but the Nord seems as if it would be a decent compromise between room and length.  But the price...goodness gracious!

My very first preference:

https://www.viscountinstruments.com/midi-pedalboards-173-173.html

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:12:01 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jok3r

« Reply #1285 on: August 09, 2020, 10:57:34 PM »
You bring up a very important topic.  I'm able to afford an instrument right now.  I'd buy a Rev2 if the (final?) update was available.  But I've also been thinking about getting a larger pedal board.  I've gone through several models, but am presently using this one:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hammond-xpk-200l-20-note-pedal-board?source=3WWRWXMG&msclkid=8687143cbe5919b010bc4b0c3e6de9f1&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=

The size is inadequate for what I'd like to do and it has held me back for years, especially from playing the organ literature.

Yeah this is too small for even the simplest Bach preludes, etc. ... 27 seems to be the minimum to me.

So, I'd love to get this one:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/nord-pedal-keys-27?source=3WWRWXMG&msclkid=c113366b5922195a56e7695bd9ada512&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=

Of course, I'd much prefer a full pedal board, but the Nord seems as if it would be a decent compromise between room and length.  But the price...goodness gracious!

When I clicked on the link, it got me to the hammond pedal again?! I looked for the nord pedal myself then and yeah: the nords price is a heavy as the viscounts weight ;-)

My very first preference:

https://www.viscountinstruments.com/midi-pedalboards-173-173.html

Yeah, this would be the non plus ultra, but for me the gap between 32-concave/radiating and 27-straight is too big. Because there's a 27-straight in my church, too, I'm in fear of overfitting myself to another form factor and then miss the right pedals in church everytime.

So I think if I really buy one, it will be the 27-straight Viscount. I don't think the Nord could be an alternative for me. It looks to shaky and small to me and it seems to send midi on a fixed channel (3)? What the...? Is this true or an error from the Thomann shop, where I looked at it? https://www.thomann.de/gb/clavia_nord_pedal_key_27.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjQiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0%3D (this time i chose the english version ;-) )

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1286 on: August 09, 2020, 11:45:30 PM »
So I think if I really buy one, it will be the 27-straight Viscount. I don't think the Nord could be an alternative for me. It looks to shaky and small to me and it seems to send midi on a fixed channel (3)? What the...? Is this true or an error from the Thomann shop, where I looked at it? https://www.thomann.de/gb/clavia_nord_pedal_key_27.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjQiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0%3D (this time i chose the english version ;-) )

Yes, that's the safest plan.  You'll get used to whatever type of pedal board you play, and it's not easy going back and forth between two different configurations.

MIDI channel 3?  I've never been able to try one, nor has anyone given me a certain answer as to whether or not I could control a synthesizer module with the Pedal 27.  I'm thus far running on hope.

LPF83

« Reply #1287 on: August 10, 2020, 08:13:23 AM »
Whatever it is, I hope it's not one of those "groove box" things.
I hope it's something I can't even imagine.

In the video where he mentions the August ship target, he definitely referred to it as a synth.  Although technically one could say the Tempest is a synth, I'd be surprised if he would do a play on words like that.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1288 on: August 10, 2020, 10:22:14 AM »
It's Dave's statement that this instrument is for a 'different type of musician' that's so cryptic.  I don't see how a smaller synthesizer - say, half a Rev2 in the Mopho x4 tradition - could fit this description.

One thing we've learned over the years: speculation of such things is fun but pointless.  And secondly, Dave definitely does the least expected things.

Shaw

« Reply #1289 on: August 10, 2020, 10:30:26 AM »
He could come out with a guitar MIDI controller, and we’d all be like “yeah, that makes sense... I’ll buy 2”
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #1290 on: August 10, 2020, 11:54:35 AM »
It's Dave's statement that this instrument is for a 'different type of musician' that's so cryptic.  I don't see how a smaller synthesizer - say, half a Rev2 in the Mopho x4 tradition - could fit this description.

For a player who's primary instrument isn't keyboard or synth but simply wants a smaller poly synth to the side of them to play a few chords with while they focus on their main instrument like bass or guitar.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1291 on: August 10, 2020, 01:07:14 PM »

For a player who's primary instrument isn't keyboard or synth but simply wants a smaller poly synth to the side of them to play a few chords with while they focus on their main instrument like bass or guitar.

Oh, I'm all for it!  I'd love to have the Rev2 version of a Mopho x4 or Mopho SE.  I could make it the basis for a monophonic system.  I just don't think such an instrument would fit the 'instrument for a different type of musician' description. 

I won't even speculate.  Dave's just too unpredictable.  Whatever he makes, that I'm sure we'll love.  But I don't think you can follow any sort of logic in foreseeing it. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:23:02 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #1292 on: August 10, 2020, 03:11:07 PM »

One thing we've learned over the years: speculation of such things is fun but pointless.  And secondly, Dave definitely does the least expected things.

I believe the only thing I've seen directly from Dave is the mention in his 70th birthday video, if anyone has any other mentions, I'd be interested in it -- especially the one where he mentioned a different type of musician.  I did see a video (I believe it was from Andy talking about product design) where he alluded to certain design decisions of the Pro 3 foreshadowing where future products were going - my guess would be he's referring to the sequencer and the interaction with the screen.

I also think you're right that speculation is somewhat pointless, but definitely fun.  Sometimes the anticipation is as much fun as the reveal.  We could potentially theorize about hidden meanings in those ominous bottles of 1921 blanco :)
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #1293 on: August 10, 2020, 05:24:38 PM »

Oh, I'm all for it!  I'd love to have the Rev2 version of a Mopho x4 or Mopho SE.  I could make it the basis for a monophonic system.  I just don't think such an instrument would fit the 'instrument for a different type of musician' description. 

I won't even speculate.  Dave's just too unpredictable.  Whatever he makes, that I'm sure we'll love.  But I don't think you can follow any sort of logic in foreseeing it.

I just can’t see Dave doing a stand-alone sequencer or something radical like a Simmons style drum synth or some odd guitar synth processor. Moog tried to go that territory and it completely backfired.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1294 on: August 10, 2020, 06:42:08 PM »
I believe the only thing I've seen directly from Dave is the mention in his 70th birthday video, if anyone has any other mentions, I'd be interested in it -- especially the one where he mentioned a different type of musician.

Hmmm.  The source of that statement is given somewhere on this forum, but I'm not sure where.  I remember it as being an older statement made by Dave himself.  Anyone remember? 

MPM

« Reply #1295 on: August 10, 2020, 09:13:08 PM »
It's Dave's statement that this instrument is for a 'different type of musician' that's so cryptic.

So it is a drum machine  :(
I mean, it's either that or a Tuba?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:15:22 PM by MPM »
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

LoboLives

« Reply #1296 on: August 11, 2020, 12:09:52 AM »
It's Dave's statement that this instrument is for a 'different type of musician' that's so cryptic.

So it is a drum machine  :(
I mean, it's either that or a Tuba?

Could be....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKX26LGnsk

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceXOSSlf6XY

Shaw

« Reply #1297 on: August 11, 2020, 04:22:45 AM »
Well, 1/3 of August is already gone, so er.... Dave?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jg666

« Reply #1298 on: August 11, 2020, 05:12:51 AM »
It might even be something based on a keyboard like the Seaboard ones, or even something like the stylophone I had back in the 1970s  ;D

Did anyone else have one of these back in the early 70s, or am I the only old person here ;)

Edit - I wish I still had that stylophone, it might be collectable these days!
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #1299 on: August 11, 2020, 08:09:33 AM »
It might even be something based on a keyboard like the Seaboard ones, or even something like the stylophone I had back in the 1970s  ;D

Did anyone else have one of these back in the early 70s, or am I the only old person here ;)

Edit - I wish I still had that stylophone, it might be collectable these days!

They still make them.

https://dubreq.com/