Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1260 on: June 25, 2020, 08:54:12 AM »
Personally , I'd love to see an (affordable?)  throwback instrument like a DSI VCS 3 type synth with a few modern touches like a program bank of 64 or so patches and some effects - reverb, delay, chorus.  a remake of a Putney like Beringer has been doing.  Arturia got close with the Matrixbrute, but Dave would do it better.
I am a deeply superficial person...

« Reply #1261 on: June 25, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »
Personally , I'd love to see an (affordable?)  throwback instrument like a DSI VCS 3 type synth with a few modern touches like a program bank of 64 or so patches and some effects - reverb, delay, chorus.  a remake of a Putney like Beringer has been doing.  Arturia got close with the Matrixbrute, but Dave would do it better.

EricaSynths already did that: https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/standalone-instruments-1/syntrx/

« Reply #1262 on: July 09, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »
Wonder when that announcement is happening...  :o

« Reply #1263 on: July 09, 2020, 04:49:07 PM »

Same. If schedules get pushed for any reason, hopefully we’ll get another off-the-cuff mention as an update...

LoboLives

« Reply #1264 on: July 09, 2020, 09:38:39 PM »

Should be in August

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #1265 on: July 25, 2020, 09:40:52 PM »
My name is Dave Smith and
I am in my home office / workshop / studio deep into
our next product. Since I work
most of the time at home, ain’t
no big deal being locked up.
Meanwhile the new synth
sounds great! Hope to ship
around August / September.

BTW, I haven’t worn pyjamas
since I was 6…

So news soon?

LoboLives

« Reply #1266 on: July 26, 2020, 04:45:28 PM »
My name is Dave Smith and
I am in my home office / workshop / studio deep into
our next product. Since I work
most of the time at home, ain’t
no big deal being locked up.
Meanwhile the new synth
sounds great! Hope to ship
around August / September.

BTW, I haven’t worn pyjamas
since I was 6…

So news soon?

Yup. Hopefully. It’s either going to be something simple like a four voice poly ( half of a Rev 2... a Mophox4 successor)

Or

A mind blowing Prophet 12 successor based on the Pro 3 architecture (VCOs, Wavetables) although preferably with two Wavetable oscillators and two VCOs.

Either way, it should be fun. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1267 on: July 26, 2020, 06:07:05 PM »
Yup. Hopefully. It’s either going to be something simple like a four voice poly (half of a Rev 2... a Mophox4 successor)

I had suggested that, and was told no such instrument would be produced.  But that doesn't really mean anything.

LoboLives

« Reply #1268 on: July 26, 2020, 07:23:49 PM »
Yup. Hopefully. It’s either going to be something simple like a four voice poly (half of a Rev 2... a Mophox4 successor)

I had suggested that, and was told no such instrument would be produced.  But that doesn't really mean anything.

I think you may get your wish. I can’t really see Sequential doing a flagship mono and a flagship synth in the same year.

LPF83

« Reply #1269 on: July 27, 2020, 02:34:06 PM »

Isn't a Rev2 8-voice using 4 voices per layer in multi mode (with the second layer not being used) kind of the same thing?  Plus an 8 voice Rev2 retails for only a couple of hundred more than the Mophox4 was, and comes with a superb 61 note keybed.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #1270 on: July 27, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »

Isn't a Rev2 8-voice using 4 voices per layer in multi mode (with the second layer not being used) kind of the same thing?  Plus an 8 voice Rev2 retails for only a couple of hundred more than the Mophox4 was, and comes with a superb 61 note keybed.

Well the Mophox4 was similar to half of a Prophet 08 so why not? Three octaves, four voices, etc. You could think of it like Sequential’s Juno to their Jupiter (Prophet). A lower tier version catering to a more simple player who just wants to have a small analog poly synth on the side while they play another instrument.

Also if Sequential price this new synth less than $1K it certainly would be a new market and price tier  for Sequential.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:55:51 PM by LoboLives »

LPF83

« Reply #1271 on: July 27, 2020, 05:12:36 PM »

Well the Mophox4 was similar to half of a Prophet 08 so why not? Three octaves, four voices, etc. You could think of it like Sequential’s Juno to their Jupiter (Prophet). A lower tier version catering to a more simple player who just wants to have a small analog poly synth on the side while they play another instrument.

Also if Sequential price this new synth less than $1K it certainly would be a new market and price tier  for Sequential.

It would be interesting if they came out with something like a Minilogue XDm at around $600-700 for a module version -- maybe allow custom digital oscillator algorithms and custom FX like the XDm, this is one area I've recently gotten into and it blows me away how much value it adds to the synth, this combined with the motion sequencer inspires lots of experimentation.  I think the user community would be all over it, making creations for Dave's next synth.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #1272 on: July 27, 2020, 06:02:30 PM »

It would be interesting if they came out with something like a Minilogue XDm at around $600-700 for a module version -- maybe allow custom digital oscillator algorithms and custom FX like the XDm, this is one area I've recently gotten into and it blows me away how much value it adds to the synth, this combined with the motion sequencer inspires lots of experimentation.  I think the user community would be all over it, making creations for Dave's next synth.

I don’t see it being a module myself. Nor do I see them even entertaining the thought of minikeys. I think it’ll just be a smaller lower tier analog poly with simple architecture. Perhaps dual effects instead of a single on like on the REV2.

As far as digital oscillators, I think Dave and Co. are saving that for their next big poly synth which hopefully will feature two analog VCOs and two Wavetable oscillators

megamarkd

« Reply #1273 on: July 27, 2020, 11:14:28 PM »
(too hard to prune quotes I'm not addressing, so they will remain, sorry :-[ scroll past the nested hell and refer back if need be)

I don’t see it being a module myself. Nor do I see them even entertaining the thought of minikeys. I think it’ll just be a smaller lower tier analog poly with simple architecture. Perhaps dual effects instead of a single on like on the REV2.

As far as digital oscillators, I think Dave and Co. are saving that for their next big poly synth which hopefully will feature two analog VCOs and two Wavetable oscillators

Chrysn disappeared into a coding cave to create one of the most useful alt firmwares for any microprocessor synth modules out there, so yeah, I could imagine Sequential owners would jump into the "roll-your-own-osc" paradigm.  But also it is a rather big risk to run that way.  If it doesn't catch on as well as they hope, it could be a lot of work spent on programming that never pays itself off through increased purchases by interested coding enthusiasts.

Regarding minikeys and desktop modules, I seem to recall some time back a sentiment express that Sequential want to make synths for players and thus there will be full-size keys on everything they release.  Now I could have misinterpret that by thinking that there will be no more desktops.  If I have someone please correct me.

Two VCOs, two wavetables....I'm sure I've seen one of them before with a DSI logo on it....somewhere no so long ago....I'm sure!  Had some name like the "Darwin Theory" or something, but I may have imagined it..... ;)

LoboLives

« Reply #1274 on: July 27, 2020, 11:33:07 PM »
(too hard to prune quotes I'm not addressing, so they will remain, sorry :-[ scroll past the nested hell and refer back if need be)

Chrysn disappeared into a coding cave to create one of the most useful alt firmwares for any microprocessor synth modules out there, so yeah, I could imagine Sequential owners would jump into the "roll-your-own-osc" paradigm.  But also it is a rather big risk to run that way.  If it doesn't catch on as well as they hope, it could be a lot of work spent on programming that never pays itself off through increased purchases by interested coding enthusiasts.

Regarding minikeys and desktop modules, I seem to recall some time back a sentiment express that Sequential want to make synths for players and thus there will be full-size keys on everything they release.  Now I could have misinterpret that by thinking that there will be no more desktops.  If I have someone please correct me.

Two VCOs, two wavetables....I'm sure I've seen one of them before with a DSI logo on it....somewhere no so long ago....I'm sure!  Had some name like the "Darwin Theory" or something, but I may have imagined it..... ;)

I just really hope it comes in blue....or white...just something different visually from the Sequential pallet.

LPF83

« Reply #1275 on: July 28, 2020, 02:49:46 AM »

I can totally see Dave never producing a mini-key or slim key synth, and frankly I hope he doesn't.
However, I don't see the desktop versions of Prophet 6, Rev 2 or OB-6 going away anytime soon -- especially since it is the only way to expand P6 and OB6 into 12-voice territory.  In addition, much of Dave's customer audience consists of those who must carefully plan and economize their studio working space, and sometimes adding a desktop is the only option.  Meanwhile I do hope he continues the trend of announcing a keyboard version of each product first, desktop later.

Back to non-standardized keys, I can't stand them personally, this was the reason I got the module version of the Minilogue XD.  The slim keys are about the only downside of this unit, so I was happy to ditch them and save $100 in the process.

« Reply #1276 on: July 28, 2020, 09:40:35 AM »
No matter what they release it’s going to be interesting, but I do wonder about timing.

I think you may get your wish. I can’t really see Sequential doing a flagship mono and a flagship synth in the same year.

I imagine you’re right (and this does align with the “different kind of player” comment made in the birthday video), but I do wonder from a roadmap perspective why they would let that Prophet 12 spot in the line-up languish for so long. Prophet 12 keyboard was discontinued before the Pro 2, so it seems a little odd that they Pro 3 would come out ahead of a Prophet 12 replacement. Though I suppose the logic could be that they already have plenty of polys in the line-up, and anybody that is super hardcore about the Prophet 12 can still pick up the module.

Time will tell! The desktop modules do give people a nice and tidy ecosystem to buy into, however. Get one of the keyboard synths, and then just add one of the module to expand the palette while still staying within the Sequential family.

LoboLives

« Reply #1277 on: July 28, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »
No matter what they release it’s going to be interesting, but I do wonder about timing.

I imagine you’re right (and this does align with the “different kind of player” comment made in the birthday video), but I do wonder from a roadmap perspective why they would let that Prophet 12 spot in the line-up languish for so long. Prophet 12 keyboard was discontinued before the Pro 2, so it seems a little odd that they Pro 3 would come out ahead of a Prophet 12 replacement. Though I suppose the logic could be that they already have plenty of polys in the line-up, and anybody that is super hardcore about the Prophet 12 can still pick up the module.

Time will tell! The desktop modules do give people a nice and tidy ecosystem to buy into, however. Get one of the keyboard synths, and then just add one of the module to expand the palette while still staying within the Sequential family.

I can see them releasing a Prophet 12/Poly Evolver successor next year and it will also have a module version as well. It would just feel really awkward to be like "Here's a Pro 3....and a Pro 3 SE....and a Prophet 12 successor and a Prophet 12 successor desktop too!" all within the same year.

While I would love a Prophet X module, I don't think it's going to happen but I to am looking more and more into modules as a space saving alternative. Still...if a Prophet 12 successor comes out...I'll likely grab the keyboard version.

megamarkd

« Reply #1278 on: July 31, 2020, 04:42:59 AM »
I just really hope it comes in blue....or white...just something different visually from the Sequential pallet.

Dark green with wooden end cheeks.  I think that would be rather organic looking! ;)
Oh yeah if you recall, the Evolver was blue!

In all seriousness the Pro3 really does hark back to the concept of the Evolver but missing a digital osc.  I too remember the "no more Evolvers" sentiment, but that Pro3 does remind me it...
A Pro3 poly would be nice.

MPM

« Reply #1279 on: August 08, 2020, 08:02:55 PM »
Whatever it is, I hope it's not one of those "groove box" things.
I hope it's something I can't even imagine.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids