Next New Sequential Instrument

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1200 on: January 20, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »
From my experience with the Prophet 12, I didn't find the digital wave shapes of that instrument line to come even close to the wide selection of timbres offered by the Evolvers.  That's why I've always thought the claim that the P12 was the new PEK was a bit of a stretch.  But the Pro 3 is clearly a different matter, with a broad variety of tones.  I'll be interested to hear a demonstration that slowly runs through all those digital wave shapes for our ears to hear.

With 32 wavetables each having 16 waveforms that can morph in 256 discrete steps, that would make 8.192 (32*256 waveforms) different waveforms, so I do not think you'll hear a demo of each setting to be honest  ;)

That's true!  But someone might cylce through a large number for us.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1201 on: January 20, 2020, 11:33:59 AM »
I bet, that since we're seeing a new ladder filter from Sequential, that this will probably be rolled into the next polysynth from them maybe. often new stuff is introduced in a mono, then later put into a larger project. One of the areas where Sequential still need to expand is in the poly synth department of their filters... they only have the OB-6 that has a state variable filter, the rest is usually limited to lowpass... we need to see a poly synth that like many other current polysynths, have dual filters with routable configurations for more sound sculpting posibilities... also I'd like to see them include a true stereo signal path again soon... all the way from double L/R oscillators to the FX section.

If so, it will be in the reverse order of the past.  The company has always started with the full-scale instrument, and then released smaller versions.

chysn

« Reply #1202 on: January 20, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »
Yeah I was thinking of selling our MEK to fund a Pro 3 but I decided against that as the sonic character of the MEK is second to none, and they don’t make them anymore.   So I’ll sell our Minilogue XD, and I have a friend that works at Guitar Center who gives me his Friends and Family discount! 

Are any of you who are buying a Pro 3 going with the Special Edition or the Standard?  I’ll go standard

If I get one, almost certainly standard. The SE looks amazing, obviously, but alternate uses for the money become pretty stark at around the $500 range.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1203 on: January 20, 2020, 12:33:58 PM »
I bet, that since we're seeing a new ladder filter from Sequential, that this will probably be rolled into the next polysynth from them maybe. often new stuff is introduced in a mono, then later put into a larger project. One of the areas where Sequential still need to expand is in the poly synth department of their filters... they only have the OB-6 that has a state variable filter, the rest is usually limited to lowpass... we need to see a poly synth that like many other current polysynths, have dual filters with routable configurations for more sound sculpting posibilities... also I'd like to see them include a true stereo signal path again soon... all the way from double L/R oscillators to the FX section.

If so, it will be in the reverse order of the past.  The company has always started with the full-scale instrument, and then released smaller versions.

Hardwarewize yes, but not software... We see past software enhancements carried over into new stuff rather often... Btw. Did the p6 filter not introduce in the pro2, only to find its way into the p6 later?
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #1204 on: January 20, 2020, 12:34:20 PM »

Are any of you who are buying a Pro 3 going with the Special Edition or the Standard?  I’ll go standard

To be honest the only thing I really like about the SE is the SEQUENTIAL name plate at the bottom. I wonder if Sequential would be willing to sell that plate separately so people can put that on their synths if they want. That's something that I wish was on the PX to be honest.

The wood looks nice though but don't really care about the adjustable panel. It's a nice to have but I don't really require it in my setup because I usually stand while I play or when I do sit it's usually to play the PX by itself.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1205 on: January 20, 2020, 12:38:22 PM »
Anyway, we need to see a new 16 voice analog synth from Sequential, that will flagship the p6 and ob6... Analog oscillators and filters, both discrete and characterful, with dual timbral capabilities, and if you ask me, it is about time for someone to take analog fx serious in a synth!

LoboLives

« Reply #1206 on: January 20, 2020, 12:39:08 PM »
With Sequential's usual two announcements per year (either keyboard/desktop version OR X and XL version ;) ) I do wonder....could we see anything else later this year?

I would think so, since it's hard to believe the Pro 3 would have required all of the past year's research and development.

I know it's not really what everybody would want but a standalone multi track analog sequencer would be nice, especially if it was economically priced, sort of like a standalone version of the Pro 3's sequencer but perhaps with polyphonic tracks as well. I doubt they would do it though. Way too much competition but still....something like the Oberheim Two Voice Pro sequencer mixed with the Pro 3's sequencer with song mode that can be saved via flash card etc.

I also highly doubt we'll see a full fledged poly synth later in the year...it would be a missed opportunity to make a big statement at NAMM.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1207 on: January 20, 2020, 12:44:46 PM »
A desktop PRO3 would also sell quite well... They could further cut the price by removing the cv stuff and three controls  and even the extra midi out for that matter.. I bet many would really want such a synth for their allready crammed desktop space.

To me the cv part is overkill... The synth in itself is so powerful and capable, I dont even know what I would want to connect... Yes, it is a cool eurorack controller, but way to expensive just for that...a keystep pro would be a much more go to solution for that.

The problem for me regarding pro3 and eurorack connection is the lack of preset saving... The pro3 has full preset functionality, but as soon as you introduce modular stuff into the chain, you preset saving gets screwed up with some things saveable and others not... If I was to add modules myself, I would probably end up with analog FX modules, but then I would have to get two of each or spoil the pro3 stereo signal path... Its just that no matter what I think up, I feel that something gets compromised.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:54:04 PM by Razmo »

LoboLives

« Reply #1208 on: January 20, 2020, 12:52:14 PM »
Anyway, we need to see a new 16 voice analog synth from Sequential, that will flagship the p6 and ob6... Analog oscillators and filters, both discrete and characterful, with dual timbral capabilities, and if you ask me, it is about time for someone to take analog fx serious in a synth!

I still say a Prophet 20 with an optional lower manual keybed that you can attach to the bottom of it so you'll have 10 entire keyboards of VCO based goodness on hand.

« Reply #1209 on: January 20, 2020, 12:56:28 PM »

I still say a Prophet 20 with an optional lower manual keybed that you can attach to the bottom of it so you'll have 10 entire keyboards of VCO based goodness on hand.

Can you imagine bringing back the Prophet 10 but with TWO rev 16 boards?!?  The mind boggles, and the GAS begins to rev.

LoboLives

« Reply #1210 on: January 20, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »
A desktop PRO3 would also sell quite well... They could further cut the price by removing the cv stuff and three controls  and even the extra midi out for that matter.. I bet many would really want such a synth for their allready crammed desktop space.

To me the cv part is overkill... The synth in itself is so powerful and capable, I dont even know what I would want to connect... Yes, it is a cool eurorack controller, but way to expensive just for that...a kdystep pro would be a much more go to solution for that.

The problem for me regarding pro3 and eurorack connection is th lack of preset saving... The pro3 has full preset functionality, but as soon as you introduce modular stuff into the chain, you preset saving gets screwed up with some things saveable and others not... If I was to add modules myself, I would probably end up with analog FX modules, but then I would have to get two of each or spoil the pro3 stereo signal path... Its just that no matter what I think up, I feel that something gets compromised.

Well the ability to have MIDI and CV helps to have the Pro 3 as a modular setup's brain. This is why I think a standalone sequencer would be a better idea than a desktop Pro 3 as most people use it's sequencer functionality for external gear anyway.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:07:17 PM by LoboLives »

LoboLives

« Reply #1211 on: January 20, 2020, 01:05:47 PM »

Can you imagine bringing back the Prophet 10 but with TWO rev 16 boards?!?  The mind boggles, and the GAS begins to rev.

I was going to say two Prophet 6 boards with REV 2 functionality.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1212 on: January 20, 2020, 01:09:46 PM »

To me the cv part is overkill... The synth in itself is so powerful and capable, I dont even know what I would want to connect... Yes, it is a cool eurorack controller, but way to expensive just for that...a kdystep pro would be a much more go to solution for that.

The problem for me regarding pro3 and eurorack connection is th lack of preset saving... The pro3 has full preset functionality, but as soon as you introduce modular stuff into the chain, you preset saving gets screwed up with some things saveable and others not... If I was to add modules myself, I would probably end up with analog FX modules, but then I would have to get two of each or spoil the pro3 stereo signal path... Its just that no matter what I think up, I feel that something gets compromised.

Well the ability to have MIDI and CV helps to have the Pro 3 as a modular setup. This is why I think a standalone sequencer would be a better idea than a desktop Pro 3 as most people use it's sequencer functionality for external gear anyway.

If your use for a pro3 is solely to control modular and external stuff yes... But that would be an utter waste of the pro3 would it not?... I think there will be more people buying the pro3 for the pro3 sound than those who buy it for either controlling external things or both... That is why I think a desktop version with focus on only the pro3 would be a good ideer... Then you could eventually make that into two products by disecting the pro3 from the cv and sequencer stuff instead of what it is now... The sequencer I would still like to have in the pro3 though... Very important for the pro3 itself.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:11:28 PM by Razmo »

LoboLives

« Reply #1213 on: January 20, 2020, 01:15:20 PM »

Well the ability to have MIDI and CV helps to have the Pro 3 as a modular setup. This is why I think a standalone sequencer would be a better idea than a desktop Pro 3 as most people use it's sequencer functionality for external gear anyway.

If your use for a pro3 is solely to control modular and external stuff yes... But that would be an utter waste of the pro3 would it not?... I think there will be more people buying the pro3 for the pro3 sound than those who buy it for either controlling external things or both... That is why I think a desktop version with focus on only the pro3 would be a good ideer... Then you could eventually make that into two products by disecting the pro3 from the cv and sequencer stuff instead of what it is now... The sequencer I would still like to have in the pro3 though... Very important for the pro3 itself.

Well I think it's more for blending the Pro 3's sound with the external gear's sound. Sure you are controlling mostly mono synths but a Pro 3 layered with an SEM Pro and ARP Odyssey Desktop doing a bassline would be wild.

I still say, take out the Pro 3's engine. Have a standalone sequencer with additional functionality and call it the Sequential Programmer (as a tribute to Sequential's early standalone sequencers)

OceanMachine

« Reply #1214 on: January 20, 2020, 03:27:38 PM »
One could add all sorts of things like the Waldorf NW1, but the Pro 3 sounds MASSIVE all by itself and is a modulation beast. It's going to take up so much room in the mix as is. I was thinking of perhaps adding modules strictly for percussion (again, open to suggestions) and selling my drum machine, but only if they have saveable patches. The drum machine I currently own (Rytm MkII) does have CV Ins, but with its advanced parameter locks, much like the Pro 3, it doesn't seem to need the extra help. Along with the gorgeous poly I own (the P6), I don't think I'll need any other gear to achieve what I need for quite some time.

Another route (that also wouldn't take advantage of the CVs) I was thinking of taking is the Nord Drum 3P because I'm a capable drummer and getting a sequencer like the Pyramid or Squid for playback when I'm using the other instruments. It would be nice to play with sticks again.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1215 on: January 20, 2020, 03:36:10 PM »
One could add all sorts of things like the Waldorf NW1, but the Pro 3 sounds MASSIVE all by itself and is a modulation beast. It's going to take up so much room in the mix as is. I was thinking of perhaps adding modules strictly for percussion (again, open to suggestions) and selling my drum machine, but only if they have saveable patches. The drum machine I currently own (Rytm MkII) does have CV Ins, but with its advanced parameter locks, much like the Pro 3, it doesn't seem to need the extra help. Along with the gorgeous poly I own (the P6), I don't think I'll need any other gear to achieve what I need for quite some time.

Another route (that also wouldn't take advantage of the CVs) I was thinking of taking is the Nord Drum 3P because I'm a capable drummer and getting a sequencer like the Pyramid or Squid for playback when I'm using the other instruments. It would be nice to play with sticks again.

But if we get user wavetables for PRO3, then how much would a NW1 add to the PRO3?

I may try and find some modular FX for it though, just to use its features.. chorus, phaser, flanger, delay etc... I guess how useful the CV stuff really is, depend on how you work... if you're used to modular, and do not care about saving tuff, then PRO3 would be a modular modulation powerhouse for sure, letting you save a lot of money on modulation modules etc.. but you'd have to sort of "forget" about the preset funktionallity of PRO3 then... to me it's like that when you add modular stuff on to PRO3, then all the total recall stuff of the PRO3 starts to disolve into modular hell instead... not for me, but may be another users god sent  :)

It's just my OCD kickin' in... I want to use all available holes in my synths, otherwise I feel something is missing  ;D (yes... I know that sentense could be read as dirty... please don't  :-X)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1216 on: January 22, 2020, 02:10:59 AM »
With Sequential's usual two announcements per year (either keyboard/desktop version OR X and XL version ;) ) I do wonder....could we see anything else later this year?

I would think so, since it's hard to believe the Pro 3 would have required all of the past year's research and development.

It did, though.

Do you know the sample rate at which the mod matrix operates? if it is supposed to run audio via CV's it must be at least 44.1Khz? ... If I recall right, the Prophet 12 was a lot lower than that... I'm really interrested in knowing the update speed of the mod matrix other than just "audio rate" which is a vague explanation really.

« Reply #1217 on: January 22, 2020, 02:13:54 AM »
Do you know the sample rate at which the mod matrix operates? if it is supposed to run audio via CV's it must be at least 44.1Khz? ... If I recall right, the Prophet 12 was a lot lower than that... I'm really interrested in knowing the update speed of the mod matrix other than just "audio rate" which is a vague explanation really.

I don't know, sorry.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1218 on: January 22, 2020, 02:34:47 AM »

I don't know, sorry.

I had sort of guessed that... but it never hurts to ask :) ... guess I'll just have to wait until Sequential answer the question then... I have asked once earlier... I jus cannot imagine a rate slower then 44.1KHz since they boast that the PRO3 can send audio signals in and out of the CVs... if it get's lower than 44.1KHz you would degrade the audio signal thru that... with the Prophet 12 that did not have this CV feature it did not matter as much I guess.

OceanMachine

« Reply #1219 on: January 22, 2020, 08:46:46 AM »
https://youtu.be/91XNDArxSlc?t=855