Next New Sequential Instrument

LoboLives

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1180 on: January 18, 2020, 10:14:13 PM »
The Pro 3 sequencer I believe doesn't have song mode.

That all being said it could easily be the centerpiece of a setup. Have the Tempest as the master clock doing a beat hooked up to the Pro 3 and have the Pro 3's sequencer sequencing internal sounds and Moogs, ARPs, Roland System 500 or whatever.

Wow...I just realized something. A big feature request of the Tempest was to be able to sequence more than one mono synth but maybe the Pro 2 and now the Pro 3 was meant to be the piece of gear to do that all along.

As you pointed out, the Pros don't have a song mode. So exactly how are you going to have it sequence other gear beyond the 64 step limit? Unless there's someway around that, I don't see how it could be the true pièce de résistance of your setup... Also, the synths you named are mostly (aside from the One/Memory) mono synths. Your Tempest can already sequence those if it sacrifices a track/voice of its own. The same is true for the Rytm as of the latest update. Do the Pro 2/3's tracks send more than one midi note? If not, then again, you have to awkwardly play one note into it at a time, except you now have the aforementioned step limit. Hopefully I'm simply misinformed and there's a way around the limit and the song mode from some external gear can somehow have the Pros send note information beyond the 64 steps...

Tempest does not have CV capabilities. It has a single MIDI channel for ONE synth voice. So you can only do one external mono synth at a time or layer multiple synths on the same synth channel but again only one channel at a time.

With the Pro 3, although it’s 64 steps may seem limited it depends entirely on the type of music you are doing. Have one track doing one sequence melody going out to say an ARP Odyssey, another going to a Roland System 500 and another going to an Oberheim SEM Pro. Yes, all mono tracks but with the sequencer having the ability to have different length tracks, the ability to transpose the sequences, mute steps, mute tracks, add ratchets all on the fly. And the ability to alternate between 4 sets of sequences with The A, B, C, and D buttons (Intro, verse, chorus, bridge). Plus now you can mix all the sounds of your external gear with the great internal sound of the Pro 3. You literally have a perfect hub for a Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream set up. At least for the rhythm and melodies and have some poly synths on the side to do pads, leads etc.

It’s not going to be extensive like a Pyramid, MPC etc but what it could be is a hands on interaction and improvisation of multiple sequences which is what Berlin School essentially is.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1181 on: January 18, 2020, 11:47:22 PM »
The only thing I will probably never use though, is the modular CV ins and outs...

Same, unless there's modular gear that features savable patches that I could do something interesting with in conjunction with the Pro 3. I'm open to suggestions.

Exactly... A saveable sample player module could be fun to use with it, but if not saveable I could as well just connect the aux outs of my Quantum to the ext inputs of the Pro3... Currently I see no use for the CVs the Pro3 is so comprehensive it is hard to figure out what to connect... But as a CV/Gate controller of an external semi modular synth, it might be interresting as a comprehensive modulation controller and player, especially on semi modulars with few LFOs or Envelopes... As the semi modular is not saveable anyway, saving is not of importance.

For a larger modular system, the modulation point sort of vanishes, as it will have so many modulator modules, that creating a Pro3 preset to modulate it seems overkill... I initially had thoughts about creating a huge modular system with all Behringer monos, but that would give so many options I see no real use of the Pro3 in this case.

If there are some hidden advantages of routing audio back to Pro3 via the CV ins I do not really know yet, but before I would do that, I would want to know what samplerate the CV ins can operate at, because if it is limited to 11Khz like on the Prophet 12 mod matrix speed, then audio quality will suffer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:55:12 PM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #1182 on: January 19, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »
Thank you for the info :) ... what about bit depth?

16 bit.

« Reply #1183 on: January 19, 2020, 11:52:20 AM »
Regarding the oscillator destinations, does these include the individual vcas of the oscillators, so that you can do ringmod via the mod matrix? (or Audio Modulation/AM as it was called on the evolvers)

The oscillators as such are the destinations. There is a ring mod in the effects section, though, with selectable waveforms (saw and sine).

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1184 on: January 19, 2020, 01:21:08 PM »
What I'd really like to know is what poly synth direction Sequential will be taking in the future.  I'm hoping something worthy will replace the Prophet 12. 

LoboLives

« Reply #1185 on: January 19, 2020, 01:47:39 PM »
What I'd really like to know is what poly synth direction Sequential will be taking in the future.  I'm hoping something worthy will replace the Prophet 12.

If the Pro 3 is any indication....two VCOs, and either one or two digital oscillators.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1186 on: January 19, 2020, 02:53:22 PM »

If the Pro 3 is any indication....two VCOs, and either one or two digital oscillators.

Hmmm, now that sounds an awful lot like a certain instrument....

LoboLives

« Reply #1187 on: January 19, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »

I mean the Pro 3 is essentially a spiced up Mono Evolver minus one digital oscillator.

« Reply #1188 on: January 20, 2020, 02:00:36 AM »

I mean the Pro 3 is essentially a spiced up Mono Evolver minus one digital oscillator.

The MEK, Pro 2 and Pro 3 are pretty much their own thing. None was designed to replace the other. I would say, though, that the sonic character of the Pro 3 can resemble that of the Evolver, particularly on the gnarly and more aggressive side. The Pro 2, although it can sound nasty as well, has a more polite character overall.

chysn

« Reply #1189 on: January 20, 2020, 03:59:39 AM »
The only thing I will probably never use though, is the modular CV ins and outs...

Same, unless there's modular gear that features savable patches that I could do something interesting with in conjunction with the Pro 3. I'm open to suggestions.

Tetrapad would be an excellent performance partner, especially in Voltages mode. Pads can be used to morph between eight sets of four parameters, and you can save twelve groups of settings.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #1190 on: January 20, 2020, 05:50:11 AM »
Yeah I was thinking of selling our MEK to fund a Pro 3 but I decided against that as the sonic character of the MEK is second to none, and they don’t make them anymore.   So I’ll sell our Minilogue XD, and I have a friend that works at Guitar Center who gives me his Friends and Family discount! 

Are any of you who are buying a Pro 3 going with the Special Edition or the Standard?  I’ll go standard
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1191 on: January 20, 2020, 06:37:26 AM »
Regarding the oscillator destinations, does these include the individual vcas of the oscillators, so that you can do ringmod via the mod matrix? (or Audio Modulation/AM as it was called on the evolvers)

The oscillators as such are the destinations. There is a ring mod in the effects section, though, with selectable waveforms (saw and sine).

Well, it is not quite the same as the FX section works on the combined mixed output, not individual oscillators... I wonder if this could be add in an OS update perhaps.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1192 on: January 20, 2020, 06:46:33 AM »
Yeah I was thinking of selling our MEK to fund a Pro 3 but I decided against that as the sonic character of the MEK is second to none, and they don’t make them anymore.   So I’ll sell our Minilogue XD, and I have a friend that works at Guitar Center who gives me his Friends and Family discount! 

Are any of you who are buying a Pro 3 going with the Special Edition or the Standard?  I’ll go standard

Under normal circumstances, I would go standard, as the other is just bling... But in this case the SE version actually is an advantage because lf the tiltable front panel... My PRO3 must be placed on two table stands, right behind my QUANTUM on my desktoop, with it reaching a bit in over the QUANTUM... So to be able to see the QUANTUM display properly, the desktop stands cannot be tilted too much down, or the PRO3 will cover the QUANTUM display too much, but this makes the PRO3 sit too level, making the reach for controls and reading the display harder... This is where the tilt comes in handy so that I can access the front panel without any problems.

So for me it will be the SE edition  :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1193 on: January 20, 2020, 07:57:38 AM »
From my experience with the Prophet 12, I didn't find the digital wave shapes of that instrument line to come even close to the wide selection of timbres offered by the Evolvers.  That's why I've always thought the claim that the P12 was the new PEK was a bit of a stretch.  But the Pro 3 is clearly a different matter, with a broad variety of tones.  I'll be interested to hear a demonstration that slowly runs through all those digital wave shapes for our ears to hear.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:27:52 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #1194 on: January 20, 2020, 09:04:36 AM »

Well that makes two of us.  I love my P12, and my PEK still is alive, but I'd really like to see Sequential hit the market next year with a large poly that can merge the best of the two. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1195 on: January 20, 2020, 09:56:11 AM »
They've so developed and refined their technology over the past five or six years that I would hope they finally funnel it into the big one.  And since the $3,000 red line no longer exists, the sky is the limit.   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:57:49 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #1196 on: January 20, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »
With Sequential's usual two announcements per year (either keyboard/desktop version OR X and XL version ;) ) I do wonder....could we see anything else later this year?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1197 on: January 20, 2020, 10:54:05 AM »
From my experience with the Prophet 12, I didn't find the digital wave shapes of that instrument line to come even close to the wide selection of timbres offered by the Evolvers.  That's why I've always thought the claim that the P12 was the new PEK was a bit of a stretch.  But the Pro 3 is clearly a different matter, with a broad variety of tones.  I'll be interested to hear a demonstration that slowly runs through all those digital wave shapes for our ears to hear.

With 32 wavetables each having 16 waveforms that can morph in 256 discrete steps, that would make 8.192 (32*256 waveforms) different waveforms, so I do not think you'll hear a demo of each setting to be honest  ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1198 on: January 20, 2020, 11:00:16 AM »
I bet, that since we're seeing a new ladder filter from Sequential, that this will probably be rolled into the next polysynth from them maybe. often new stuff is introduced in a mono, then later put into a larger project. One of the areas where Sequential still need to expand is in the poly synth department of their filters... they only have the OB-6 that has a state variable filter, the rest is usually limited to lowpass... we need to see a poly synth that like many other current polysynths, have dual filters with routable configurations for more sound sculpting posibilities... also I'd like to see them include a true stereo signal path again soon... all the way from double L/R oscillators to the FX section.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1199 on: January 20, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »
With Sequential's usual two announcements per year (either keyboard/desktop version OR X and XL version ;) ) I do wonder....could we see anything else later this year?

I would think so, since it's hard to believe the Pro 3 would have required all of the past year's research and development.