Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1120 on: January 15, 2020, 07:46:52 AM »
@Paul Dither
does the Pro 3 have the same graphical envelope display as the Pro 2?

Yes.

« Reply #1121 on: January 15, 2020, 07:47:59 AM »
@Paul Dither
does the Pro 3 have the same graphical envelope display as the Pro 2?

Yes.

Cool, thanks. It’s such a useful and pleasing feature.

« Reply #1122 on: January 15, 2020, 07:48:17 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and assume filter routing will be the number one requested feature to be added. There's no knob for it, but hopefully Sequential is able to add it as a menu option later if it's possible ...  Although I'd assume there's some insurmountable technical reason for its striking absence that has to do with the hardware implementation.

It's either or. There's no option for parallel or serial routing if that's what you mean.

« Reply #1123 on: January 15, 2020, 08:03:24 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and assume filter routing will be the number one requested feature to be added. There's no knob for it, but hopefully Sequential is able to add it as a menu option later if it's possible ...  Although I'd assume there's some insurmountable technical reason for its striking absence that has to do with the hardware implementation.

It's either or. There's no option for parallel or serial routing if that's what you mean.

I think he meant being able to modulate the filter type between the two low pass and one state-variable varieties - kind of the way the Sub 37 allows you to modulate the filter slope. 

OceanMachine

« Reply #1124 on: January 15, 2020, 08:06:08 AM »

I realize that, albeit I'm already speculating on how the feature request thread will look like. I.e., "please add filter routing!" and multiple variants of said request. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:10:55 AM by A Thousand Eyes »

« Reply #1125 on: January 15, 2020, 08:08:10 AM »
I think he meant being able to modulate the filter type between the two low pass and one state-variable varieties - kind of the way the Sub 37 allows you to modulate the filter slope.

That's a big difference. On the Sub 37 you can modulate the filter slope of one and the same filter whereas in this case you're asking for modulating the routing to three different filters. It's currently impossible and I wouldn't wait for it.

« Reply #1126 on: January 15, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »

I realize that, albeit I'm already speculating on how the feature request thread will look like. I.e., "please add filter routing!"

Like I said: Don't hope or wait for it, since I assume this won't be dependent on just a software update, but also a hardware modification, as you would have to be able to blend between the different filter output signals. Like usual, the simple rule is to take a synth for what it is at the time of its release, not for what it may become or could have been.

OceanMachine

« Reply #1127 on: January 15, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »
Again, I know that, but if it is truly impossible due to some kind of hardware limitation, they might want to add a sticky on the Pro 3 sub explaining why because they're almost inevitably going to get a wave of requests for said feature throughout the years.

« Reply #1128 on: January 15, 2020, 08:22:39 AM »

I realize that, albeit I'm already speculating on how the feature request thread will look like. I.e., "please add filter routing!"

Like I said: Don't hope or wait for it, since I assume this won't be dependent on just a software update, but also a hardware modification, as you would have to be able to blend between the different filter output signals. Like usual, the simple rule is to take a synth for what it is at the time of its release, not for what it may become or could have been.

I wasn’t imagining as a blend at all, more that it would jump straight from one to the other at a given CC value. The parallel is again in the way the Sub37 jumps between the four states or jumps between its oscillator octave settings - it’s not continuous. The filters are engaged by a simple button press which, in theory (and without my knowing the underlying architecture) could be made to change according to CC value, eg, 0-42 is filter 1, 43-84 is filter 2 and 85-127 is filter 3.

« Reply #1129 on: January 15, 2020, 08:26:15 AM »
I wasn’t imagining as a blend at all, more that it would jump straight from one to the other at a given CC value. The parallel is again in the way the Sub37 jumps between the four states or jumps between its oscillator octave settings - it’s not continuous. The filters are engaged by a simple button press which, in theory (and without my knowing the underlying architecture) could be made to change according to CC value, eg, 0-42 is filter 1, 43-84 is filter 2 and 85-127 is filter 3.

Gotcha. Well, as of now "filter type" is not a modulation destination. Only the Sequential team can say whether or not it could be implemented.

OceanMachine

« Reply #1130 on: January 15, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »
Best to get ahead of it and stop this line of questioning dead in its tracks if Sequential already fully realizes it's definitely not a possibility. Don't want another Tempest user sample-gate, where users rightly or wrongly assumed it was possible and inevitably on its way.

« Reply #1131 on: January 15, 2020, 08:45:12 AM »
Best to get ahead of it and stop this line of questioning dead in its tracks if it's definitely not a possibility. Don't want another Tempest user sample-gate, where users rightly or wrongly assumed it was possible and inevitably on its way.

I didn't intend anything else. Right now filter routings can't be modulated. Whether this could be an option in the future is pure speculation currently. That's why you should take the Pro 3 for what it is today, particularly since nothing else has been promised or even been hinted at.

« Reply #1132 on: January 15, 2020, 08:54:31 AM »
any info on the Modulation Sources and Destinations?
I guess the Pro-2 ones + some new ones?

« Reply #1133 on: January 15, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »
Best to get ahead of it and stop this line of questioning dead in its tracks if Sequential already fully realizes it's definitely not a possibility. Don't want another Tempest user sample-gate, where users rightly or wrongly assumed it was possible and inevitably on its way.

It never hurts to ask. Loads of features have been added to products, often at the behest of user requests.

OceanMachine

« Reply #1134 on: January 15, 2020, 09:23:58 AM »
That's why you should take the Pro 3 for what it is today, particularly since nothing else has been promised or even been hinted at.

... Paul, I realize this. I'm merely trying to point out that others may not, as the past tends to repeat itself. For instance, the post directly under yours: "I guess the Pro-2 ones + some new ones?" Many people will assume this is the case and again, rightly or wrongly expect it. Note that I'm not saying hageir, specifically, expects things. Consumers in general is what I'm talking about.

It never hurts to ask. Loads of features have been added to products, often at the behest of user requests.
It never hurts to ask, yet it's a smart move on Sequential's part to squash inevitable requests well ahead of time that they absolutely know aren't possible. Again, that's a conditional hypothetical. For the third time, consumers rightly or wrongly feel entitled to things, especially if similar past products have had these features. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people throw DSI/Sequential under the bus for not living up to expectations due to their perception that the Tempest would inevitably get user samples.

Anyway, I tend to get far ahead of myself thinking of how things will play out. Obviously I'm not making myself clear... One way or another we'll just have to wait and see how things are handled.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:15:01 AM by A Thousand Eyes »

sofine

« Reply #1135 on: January 15, 2020, 10:48:55 AM »
Hi Paul,

LOVE your sound demos. They have got me interested!

Do you know if the filter types are modulatable, so you could automate them switching either in a sequence or by some other modulatable source?

Cheers.

Thank you, sofine!

The choice of filter type (SSM/Ladder/SEM) is not a modulation destination. However, the SEM filter allows you to modulate between lowpass, notch, and highpass modes as well as between bandpass and regular mode (just like on the Pro 2). Furthermore, there's also a drive parameter for each filter type that can be modulated. In addition to all that, the ladder filter also features the option to activate a bass boost to compensate for the typical loss of lower frequencies when you use a Moog style filter with higher resonance settings.

Thanks for the response.

I am looking forward to hearing just how "moogy" it can get and I might flip my Sub37 for it.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1136 on: January 15, 2020, 11:11:16 AM »
It would most certainly require a hardware change to allow for having all three filters available in a routable fashion... The filters are analog, so to have software control of routings would require some electronics to digitally control the analogue routing options.

I bet there is already some sort of this going on with the three filters running the same signal in parallel, and some sort of analog selection chip that can be selected to take any of the three signals at any one time.

But routings would require more hardware, and if this is already implemented, I bet the routing options would have been put in already from the start.

Regarding switching filter types from the mod matrix... That is possible to make with 100% certainty, Sequential just have to code it... Anything you could potentially tweak on the front panel could be made in software to be manipulated thru a destination parameter. The question is though, how useful it would be to switch filters like that.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1137 on: January 15, 2020, 11:26:54 AM »
any info on the Modulation Sources and Destinations?
I guess the Pro-2 ones + some new ones?

I bet a lot of them comes from the enhanced sequencer... There are probably one source for each of the sequencers 16 tracks and all of their respective step values etc... These probably take up the bulk of the new sources...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #1138 on: January 15, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »
That's why you should take the Pro 3 for what it is today, particularly since nothing else has been promised or even been hinted at.

... Paul, I realize this. I'm merely trying to point out that others may not, as the past tends to repeat itself. For instance, the post directly under yours: "I guess the Pro-2 ones + some new ones?" Many people will assume this is the case and again, rightly or wrongly expect it.

No hard feelings here. I get what you’re saying. But the Sequential team should be given a couple of days to properly launch the Pro 3. After NAMM we will probably see a dedicated Pro 3 forum and that’s where specific requests can be posted and answered.

I also like to point out that Sequential did include a couple of features in the Pro 3 that have been requested here or elsewhere from time to time. Among those are: Higher resolution for filter controls (for example, cutoff frequency: 1024 steps, resonance 256 steps), the filter cutoff and oscillator octave controls are tightened to the chassis, different tunings can now be chosen per program, and the sequencer functionality has been slightly enhanced and it operates with color codes (via the LEDs) that indicate the type of settings per track.

LoboLives

« Reply #1139 on: January 15, 2020, 01:08:04 PM »

... Paul, I realize this. I'm merely trying to point out that others may not, as the past tends to repeat itself. For instance, the post directly under yours: "I guess the Pro-2 ones + some new ones?" Many people will assume this is the case and again, rightly or wrongly expect it.

No hard feelings here. I get what you’re saying. But the Sequential team should be given a couple of days to properly launch the Pro 3. After NAMM we will probably see a dedicated Pro 3 forum and that’s where specific requests can be posted and answered.

I also like to point out that Sequential did include a couple of features in the Pro 3 that have been requested here or elsewhere from time to time. Among those are: Higher resolution for filter controls (for example, cutoff frequency: 1024 steps, resonance 256 steps), the filter cutoff and oscillator octave controls are tightened to the chassis, different tunings can now be chosen per program, and the sequencer functionality has been slightly enhanced and it operates with color codes (via the LEDs) that indicate the type of settings per track.

and step ratcheting. :) YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TANGERINE DREAM CITY!