Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1100 on: January 15, 2020, 03:40:55 AM »
I get that playing chords will mask some things, but what if you play a decaying sawtooth oscillator with only one note at a time that will let the tails ring out? this is when you would be hearing the digital oscillator stand out? this is not possible with ordinary paraphony since there is only one vca, but as I understand it, like on PRO2, ,the PRO3 has a vca for each oscillator?

When you play single notes in paraphonic mode, you will cycle through the oscillators, i.e. you are going to trigger a different oscillator each time you press a key. Each oscillator is triggered with an envelope set by the VCA shape.

« Reply #1101 on: January 15, 2020, 03:42:57 AM »
If I didn’t already own the Pro 2 I would definitely be looking to buy the Pro 3. I don’t think the Pro 3 offers enough over the Pro 2 though to own both?

I wouldn't regard the Pro 3 as a Pro 2 replacement or upgrade. While there are overlapping elements, both synths are capable of different things. So I rather see them as complementary synths.

« Reply #1102 on: January 15, 2020, 03:46:24 AM »
Can you modulate the effects? i loved playing with the delay times on p2

jok3r

« Reply #1103 on: January 15, 2020, 03:46:34 AM »
I hope this thing got beat sync for the sequencer/arp. And if so, I hope this time they got it working right ;-) If it works rock solid this could be a veeeery nice addition to my live setup.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #1104 on: January 15, 2020, 03:49:49 AM »
Can you modulate the effects? i loved playing with the delay times on p2

Yes, all effect parameters are modulatable.

« Reply #1105 on: January 15, 2020, 03:52:03 AM »
I hope this thing got beat sync for the sequencer/arp. And if so, I hope this time they got it working right ;-) If it works rock solid this could be a veeeery nice addition to my live setup.

You can beat sync the arpeggiator and make it send MIDI notes.

« Reply #1106 on: January 15, 2020, 03:56:20 AM »
Awesome, just ordered the peasent version

This is everything i could want in a mono synth kudos to the Sequential team

jok3r

« Reply #1107 on: January 15, 2020, 04:43:37 AM »

I can do that with my Rev2 also... but does it work without having to send MIDI start commands? And what about the sequencer?
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LoboLives

« Reply #1108 on: January 15, 2020, 05:03:36 AM »
I wonder how close the digital oscillator sound when it has the same settings as the two analog ones.

This is a very simply paraphonic patch that features a sawtooth wave for all oscillators:

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/paraphonic-prophet?in=pauldither/sets/sequential-pro-3

But just like with the Pro 2, the real paraphonic fun lies in using different settings for each oscillator, which in a way allows for more timbral polyphony than any conventional poly synth could. In that sense I'd say that any paraphonic synth is far superior to any standard polyphonic synth in terms of possible timbral complexity per note.

This patch features different waveform settings for each oscillator:

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/transcendental-pad?in=pauldither/sets/sequential-pro-3

The sequencer is used in gated mode that won't reset the sequence with any new keystroke to only control modulation parameters over time, not note values.

I've always wondered....would an Oberheim SEM Four Voice be considered Polyphonic or Paraphonic? Since essentially each SEM has it's own VCF and VCA (plus two VCOs) but each SEM can have different settings like a paraphonic synth.

LoboLives

« Reply #1109 on: January 15, 2020, 05:05:17 AM »
In regards to the audio in....does it have a envelope follower for a guitar like the Pro 2 did? I have not seen it mentioned.

« Reply #1110 on: January 15, 2020, 05:27:27 AM »

I can do that with my Rev2 also... but does it work without having to send MIDI start commands? And what about the sequencer?

Well, you'd have to have an external MIDI clock running. Beat sync is for the arpeggiator.

« Reply #1111 on: January 15, 2020, 05:32:21 AM »
I've always wondered....would an Oberheim SEM Four Voice be considered Polyphonic or Paraphonic? Since essentially each SEM has it's own VCF and VCA (plus two VCOs) but each SEM can have different settings like a paraphonic synth.

Different case. A Four Voice has four entirely independent voices, where nothing is shared amongst the single modules. It's essentially like four monosynths in one box. On paraphonic synths, typically the VCA and VCF are shared by all oscillators. Note: paraphonic doesn't necessarily mean that each note can have a different timbre, that's only the case with synths like the Mono/Poly or the Pro 2 and 3, for example.

« Reply #1112 on: January 15, 2020, 05:33:25 AM »
In regards to the audio in....does it have a envelope follower for a guitar like the Pro 2 did? I have not seen it mentioned.

Yes.

sofine

« Reply #1113 on: January 15, 2020, 06:15:58 AM »
Hi Paul,

LOVE your sound demos. They have got me interested!

Do you know if the filter types are modulatable, so you could automate them switching either in a sequence or by some other modulatable source?

Cheers.

« Reply #1114 on: January 15, 2020, 06:23:32 AM »
Hi Paul,

Do you know if the filter types are modulatable, so you could automate them switching either in a sequence or by some other modulatable source?

Cheers.

If it’s like the Pro 2 then at the very least, the state of the SEM filter will be modulatable, including switching the bandpass on and off.

LoboLives

« Reply #1115 on: January 15, 2020, 06:44:41 AM »

Yes.

Excellent! Can't wait to run a guitar or vocal line into it.

jg666

« Reply #1116 on: January 15, 2020, 07:01:28 AM »
If I didn’t already own the Pro 2 I would definitely be looking to buy the Pro 3. I don’t think the Pro 3 offers enough over the Pro 2 though to own both?

I wouldn't regard the Pro 3 as a Pro 2 replacement or upgrade. While there are overlapping elements, both synths are capable of different things. So I rather see them as complementary synths.

Oh dear, that reply could cost me some money very soon ;)  ;D

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

OceanMachine

« Reply #1117 on: January 15, 2020, 07:34:34 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and assume filter routing will be the number one requested feature to be added. There's no knob for it, but hopefully Sequential is able to add it as a menu option later if it's possible ...  Although I'd assume there's some insurmountable technical reason for its striking absence that has to do with the hardware implementation. 

« Reply #1118 on: January 15, 2020, 07:35:52 AM »
@Paul Dither
does the Pro 3 have the same graphical envelope display as the Pro 2?

« Reply #1119 on: January 15, 2020, 07:46:35 AM »
Hi Paul,

Cheers.

Thank you, sofine!

The choice of filter type (SSM/Ladder/SEM) is not a modulation destination. However, the SEM filter allows you to modulate between lowpass, notch, and highpass modes as well as between bandpass and regular mode (just like on the Pro 2). Furthermore, there's also a drive parameter for each filter type that can be modulated. In addition to all that, the ladder filter also features the option to activate a bass boost to compensate for the typical loss of lower frequencies when you use a Moog style filter with higher resonance settings.