Next New Sequential Instrument

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1060 on: January 14, 2020, 03:50:18 AM »
The three filters will no doubt be the major selling point, especially because one filter is s ladder, and the other an SEM type... I will certainly look forward to hear how moog'ish the basses can sound, because that would be the defining desicion for me if I decide on a monophonic analog synth as my third and final synth.

I see some architectural similarities with the oscillator section of the Minilogue xD where you have two analog and one digital oscillator, but this has a proper depth to the engine capabilities. The three octaves, while short, still would fit with my limited space. I just wonder how hands on it will be to program, or if an editor will be essential for me.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #1061 on: January 14, 2020, 03:53:59 AM »
The three filters will no doubt be the major selling point, especially because one filter is s ladder, and the other an SEM type... I will certainly look forward to hear how moog'ish the basses can sound, because that would be the defining desicion for me if I decide on a monophonic analog synth as my third and final synth.

I see some architectural similarities with the oscillator section of the Minilogue xD where you have two analog and one digital oscillator, but this has a proper depth to the engine capabilities. The three octaves, while short, still would fit with my limited space. I just wonder how hands on it will be to program, or if an editor will be essential for me.

If it’s like most of the other DSI/Sequential offerings with a mod matrix then I’m sure programming will be easy and fun. The dedicated button for source and destination with the amount knob make it a breeze and I’m sure it’ll have the same functionality when assigning the LFOs.

« Reply #1062 on: January 14, 2020, 04:06:03 AM »

LoboLives

« Reply #1063 on: January 14, 2020, 04:13:36 AM »
I like it but it just seems like a step backwards and just copying elements from current synths on the market. The three Oscillator set up with a digital oscillator is right out of Korg’s Minilogue XD. Three voice paraphonic compared to the four on the Matriarch or even the Pro 2 for that matter. Smaller keyboard. Only 16 steps on the sequencer seems kind of short compared to a lot of other in built sequencers in synths out there. And the design is obviously lifted from the MiniMoog and Sub 37.( Personally I like the normal version more)

It’s the Tarantino of synths.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:16:00 AM by LoboLives »

« Reply #1064 on: January 14, 2020, 04:20:09 AM »
I like it but it just seems like a step backwards and just copying elements from current synths on the market. The three Oscillator set up with a digital oscillator is right out of Korg’s Minilogue XD. Three voice paraphonic compared to the four on the Matriarch or even the Pro 2 for that matter. Smaller keyboard. Only 16 steps on the sequencer seems kind of short compared to a lot of other in built sequencers in synths out there. And the design is obviously lifted from the MiniMoog and Sub 37.( Personally I like the normal version more)

The sequencer will have pages like the Pro 2 so will be bigger than 16 steps.

« Reply #1065 on: January 14, 2020, 04:36:50 AM »
It says there are four phrases on the sequencer so im guessing four separate 16 step sequences hopefully can be chained together, also looks to be an adjustable swing knob which i like much better than the previous set swing amounts, and real time input, ratcheting

Really excited for this release 

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1066 on: January 14, 2020, 04:43:51 AM »
any pricing on this thing yet?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1067 on: January 14, 2020, 04:45:20 AM »
also; are the three filters useable only one at a time, or are there routing configurations etc?

« Reply #1068 on: January 14, 2020, 05:00:34 AM »
also; are the three filters useable only one at a time, or are there routing configurations etc?

My guess is individually. The Pro 2 has a dedicated blend knob and a series/parallel knob.

« Reply #1069 on: January 14, 2020, 05:02:16 AM »

I agree that going to 37 keys is a bit of a backwards step. The 44 keys on the Pro 2 were very welcome.

It’s probably too much to hope that they’d put much of this new design into a five-octave poly but I’m still dreaming.

LoboLives

« Reply #1070 on: January 14, 2020, 05:08:09 AM »
One thing that I would have hoped for was Tri-Timbrality. Three Oscillators and Three Filters...I mean one should be able to have one oscillator going through it's own dedicated filter and then with the multiple tracks on the Sequencer essentially have like three separate melodies/sounds going, especially if each ran through the effects engine independently. That would have been Tangerine Dream in a box.

LoboLives

« Reply #1071 on: January 14, 2020, 05:10:02 AM »

I agree that going to 37 keys is a bit of a backwards step. The 44 keys on the Pro 2 were very welcome.

It’s probably too much to hope that they’d put much of this new design into a five-octave poly but I’m still dreaming.

I can see them doing a new version of the Poly Evolver with this new type of design. I mean it's almost half way there with it's Wavetable oscillator, so I can see two VCOs/two Digital oscillators as their next venture.

« Reply #1072 on: January 14, 2020, 05:16:27 AM »
I’m curious as to whether the oscillators can overdrive the filter or whether it’ll be like the P6 where they can’t.

eXode

« Reply #1073 on: January 14, 2020, 05:33:05 AM »
Higher res pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ZaRZpbF

There will only be one filter at a time. There is a filter drive control.

Rumored price is about $1600 USD for the black version and $2100 USD for the hinged/wooden SE version.

LoboLives

« Reply #1074 on: January 14, 2020, 06:07:34 AM »
Higher res pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ZaRZpbF

There will only be one filter at a time. There is a filter drive control.

Rumored price is about $1600 USD for the black version and $2100 USD for the hinged/wooden SE version.

I mean it's economical for sure but still...just seems like it's missing a bunch of features. The fact you can have only one filter at a time seems silly.

OceanMachine

« Reply #1075 on: January 14, 2020, 06:38:27 AM »
And the design is obviously lifted from the MiniMoog and Sub 37.( Personally I like the normal version more)

The standard version obviously looks like a Grandmother in form and not remotely like a Sub 37. That said, I as well find said version more aesthetically appealing. And yes, it's very strange to see this much lifting from Sequential... It seems almost as if there was some kind of cooperation between the two companies...

If true price wise, I'd much rather spend on the Pro-3 over the Grandmother, Matriarch, or Subsequent 37. That is, if I was in the market for such a thing, which I'm assuredly not.

The fact you can have only one filter at a time seems silly.

Agreed, quite an apparent missed opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:08:23 AM by A Thousand Eyes »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1076 on: January 14, 2020, 06:42:58 AM »
I am actually beginning to warm up to this as my last third synth... Having a GT and QUANTUM, i am perfectly covered in the polysynth business with loads of options, but the only thing I still miss are the organic sound of true analog oscillators... I really only need this for one certain type of sound which is basses, so I really do not need to go overkill on a MOOG ONE now... PRO3s different filters should give me all the most important filter flavors, and I will get built in FX and a deep engine on top including a well specified sequencer for modulation duties in presets... That I get a single digital oscillator as well is of course a nice bonus, but I woyld have liked three analog oscillators to be honest.

One thing I am curious about is if the paraphony works like on PRO2... It had one very important feature on PRO2, WHICH IS A DEDICATED Amp EG for each oscillator which really makes paraphonuc playing sound so much better... With digital iscillators that was a brieze to implement as the VCAs were probably part of the digital DSP before the filters, but with PRO3 you would have to make a seoarate VCA for each oscillator to create this feature.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1077 on: January 14, 2020, 10:27:17 AM »

OceanMachine

« Reply #1078 on: January 14, 2020, 10:38:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhRvonfyGiE

Well Inhalt let the cat out of the bag in multiple ways. First with his sale listing and now this.

chysn

« Reply #1079 on: January 14, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »
I like it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his