Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #1040 on: September 23, 2019, 03:44:42 AM »
Hi all,

I've cleaned up this thread and moved the discussion on the great gear dilemma to the gear obsession thread over here: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2396.0.html

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1041 on: November 14, 2019, 10:07:27 AM »
I haven't done the math, but it seems like an awfully long time since Sequential has introduced or even spoken about a new instrument.  The crickets are getting sore throats.

I would happily welcome a Pro 3, but there has been no official announcement yet.  Even the forum has lately been quiet.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:10:13 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #1042 on: November 14, 2019, 11:44:05 AM »
I’m waiting patiently too. Money waiting.

« Reply #1043 on: November 14, 2019, 11:45:43 AM »
I haven't done the math, but it seems like an awfully long time since Sequential has introduced or even spoken about a new instrument.  The crickets are getting sore throats.

I would happily welcome a Pro 3, but there has been no official announcement yet.  Even the forum has lately been quiet.

Maybe Winter NAMM?
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

jok3r

« Reply #1044 on: November 14, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »
Maybe Winter NAMM?

Oh? It's this time of the year again... spring, summer, autumn, waiting for NAMM...  ;D
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1045 on: November 14, 2019, 04:46:29 PM »
Yeah, for a musician there are four seasons: spring, summer, fall, and NAMM.

« Reply #1046 on: November 15, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »
Yes, indeed, it has been very quiet here.  I was hoping for a new Sequential instrument announcement back in Summer.   That being said, I figure at this point any instrument from Sequential getting into my hands would be at least a year off.  I figure that if they do announce at  NAMM, then release would be months later.  Then I'd probably wait for the bugs to settle before buying.  I can only hope when it does come  along that it's a PolyEvolver spin off :) 

I've had a very busy Autumn, so just now getting back to the music more.  That's one thing I like about winter in Ohio is being able to spend more time nested away in my little studio playing with the synths.  Completely unneeded I suppose, but I did just recently decide to purchase another synth.  I was looking at both the Summit and Hydrasynth more or less just because they were new.  But I ended up deciding against both, though both seem fine in their own right.  My reasons were that I didn't want to spend that much just yet on the Novation, and with the Hydrasynth, the more I studied what I heard with all that wave morphing, interesting as it may be, didn't necessarily sound good to me.   Still cant beat those pulse and saw waves ;).    Anyway,  I took a completely left turn and went back to something I looked at a few years ago.  It's one of those odd units that never got much publicity- the Modor NF1.  Any videos of goodness are sorely lacking out there, but I really liked the ease of the fm and additive sounds, and the MPE capability.  But I was worried about some initial reports that it had a sort of thin sound.   So I kept investigating and eventually found some good sound samples on their website (where I should of gone first).   And as I studied it more  I found some other forum postings where it seemed many owners dabbled in the modular realm.  I figured they'd know a rich oscillator sound.   They all had good reports on it's sound quality.  So I decided to give it a try, got the module (NF1m) due to space and cost, and use the editor-which by the way,  is basic, but simple to use.    There are some hardware improvements in this newer unit than the first round.    More to follow in a few days but I'll move that all over to the "other hardware" thread.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #1047 on: November 19, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »
I just got an NF-1m as well, small world!

I really like it, definitely not sterile!

« Reply #1048 on: November 29, 2019, 12:17:27 PM »
Well that neat, a small club started  ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Shaw

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:02:03 PM by Shaw »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #1050 on: January 13, 2020, 07:51:43 PM »
Hinged (presumably adjustable) front panel, yet the knobs look cheaper like the ones on the Tempest...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:58:45 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

LoboLives

« Reply #1051 on: January 13, 2020, 09:41:51 PM »
Never though I’d see an adjustable front panel on a Sequential synth.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #1052 on: January 13, 2020, 11:09:03 PM »
Yet the knobs look cheaper like the ones on the Tempest...

And like the ones on the Mopho x4.  It does seem like a small instrument.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:11:30 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jok3r

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:15:25 AM by jok3r »
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1054 on: January 14, 2020, 01:20:22 AM »
Mayby the "3" in PRO-3 is an indicator that it will feature three anlog oscillators... Who knows
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #1055 on: January 14, 2020, 01:31:01 AM »
I am having a problem seeing the reason for this synth... Is it an upgrade of the pro2 or just its own thing? Are the now three oscillators instead of four now analog, or are they digital?... Now decreased to three octaves... I guess I need more info than a picture to understand the need for this synth on the market currently.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #1056 on: January 14, 2020, 01:53:10 AM »
A Three-Generation Legacy
The Sequential Pro 1 and Pro 2 mono synths achieved nearly legendary status in their time. So it was only natural that we build on their strengths with an even more worthy successor. Enter the Pro 3, Sequential's 2-VCO + wavetable mono/paraphonic synth - a new benchmark for raw sonic power and unrivalled versatility.
The Power of 3
The Pro 3 boasts three oscillators, three vintage filters, three LFOs, four loopable envelopes, a massive 32-slot mod matrix, and an 16 x 16 x 4 sequencer. Throw in dual digital effects and four control voltage ins and outs, and you've got a hugely powerful instrument that's as exciting to program as it is to play.
A Next-Generation Classic
The Pro 3 is a hybrid of solid, old-school analog synthesis paired with versatile digital technology. Its two voltage controlled oscillators provide warmth and presence while its third wavetable oscillator provides digital edge and grit. With 32 tables of 16 waves each and wave morphing, tonal possibilities are immense. Tuned feedback with grunge, and analog distortion deliver industrial-grade nastiness on demand.
Three Filters Based on Vintage Designs
At the heart of the Pro 3's ballsy sound are its vintage-style filters. Filter 1 is a 4-pole lowpass design based on the Prophet-6 filter. Filter 2 is a classic transistor ladder filter with optional resonance compensation to preserve its low-end punch. Filter 3 is a classic 2-pole, state-variable design based on the OB-6 filter that can be continuously varied between lowpass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode. An additional Drive control provides still more punch when you really want to get down and dirty.
Expressive Sequencing
Possibly the Pro 3's most powerful performance tool is its sequencer. With 16 tracks, 16 steps, and 4 phrases, it features both real-time and step input, ratcheting, variable gate and sequence lengths, multiple playback modes, and paraphonic operation. It also syncs to MIDI clock and external audio input, and inputs/outputs control voltages. In addition to notes, sequence tracks can control any parameter in the 132-destination modulation matrix.
Plays Well with Modulars

The Pro 3's flexible architecture opens the door to not only processing external audio, but also to interfacing with modular synths through its 4 rear-panel control voltage inputs/outputs and a dedicated gate output. Control voltages can be assigned and routed from within the modulation matrix and can run at audio rates for extreme modulation effects. Some of the many parameters that can be sent to the CV outputs include oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, and sequencer tracks, allowing the Pro 3 to become the central hub of a modular or multisynth setup.
Effects, Envelopes, LFOs, an Arpeggiator, and Extreme Modulation

The Pro 3's Effects section provides delays, reverbs, time-domain effects such as chorus/phasing/flanging and more. There are four loopable five-stage envelope generators, three syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, a full-featured arpeggiator, and a 32-slot modulation matrix with dozens of modulation sources and over a hundred destinations.
Monophonic and Paraphonic Operation

The Pro 3 was designed to be a super-powerful monosynth, but it is also a versatile 3-voice paraphonic synth. This makes playing 3-note chords not only possible, but with creative use of effects and some per-oscillator modulation, mind-blowingly expressive.
Put all of this sonic power in a three-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, add backlit pitch and mod wheels and a location-sensitive touch slider, and you've got one of the most inspiring synths ever made.

Features
- Two analog, voltage-controlled oscillators
- One DSP-based digital oscillator
- Analog oscillators produce three classic wave shapes: (triangle, saw, pulse) with variable shape modulation/pulse width on each
- Digital oscillator produce 32 digital wavetables of 16 waves each with wave morphing, plus classic wave shapes (sine, triangle, saw, variable-width pulse) and super saw
- Digital oscillator 3 can function as an LFO for complex wavetable-based modulation
- White noise generator
- Hard sync, per-oscillator Glide, Oscillator Slop
- 3-voice paraphonic mode with individually-gated envelopes per oscillator
- Three classic filter types
- Filter 1 is a 4-pole, 24 dB per-octave, Prophet-6 low-pass filter
- Filter 2 is a classic, 4-pole, 24 dB per-octave, transistor ladder filter with optional resonance compensation
- Filter 3 is a 2-pole, 12 db per-octave, OB-6 state-variable filter. It can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode.
- Three syncable LFOs with phase offset and slew per LFO
- Five waveshapes: triangle, saw, reverse saw, square, and S&H
- Four ADSR envelopes with delay (Filter, VCA, and two Auxiliary envelopes)
- Envelopes freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
- All envelopes can repeat/loop
- Tuned feedback with Grunge for extra-aggressive tonal destruction
- Programmable analog distortion

« Reply #1057 on: January 14, 2020, 02:18:07 AM »
The choice of the three filters is wonderful. Look forward to trying this out when it is around.

Jonas

« Reply #1058 on: January 14, 2020, 02:33:59 AM »
The information and leaked images of the Pro 3 are very impressive.  I'm excited to learn more and hear how it sounds.  With a $500 difference, I wonder if there are any other differences with the Special Edition besides the cosmetics...?   Either way, for now I can still relax with the knowledge that I like my Pro 2 better.
DSI/Pioneer: |Tempest|PRO 2|PRO '08|OB-6|MonoEvolverKeys|MophoKeys|Toraiz AS-1|SP-16|
Oberheim: |DMX|DPX-1|Matrix 1000|

« Reply #1059 on: January 14, 2020, 02:54:11 AM »
The information and leaked images of the Pro 3 are very impressive.  I'm excited to learn more and hear how it sounds.  With a $500 difference, I wonder if there are any other differences with the Special Edition besides the cosmetics...?   Either way, for now I can still relax with the knowledge that I like my Pro 2 better.

I think Pro 2 owners can all rest easy, there’s plenty to differentiate the two models and lots that the Pro 2 has that the Pro 3 doesn’t.

I’m very curious about the special edition too. Bigger keyboard? Extra oscillator?

If there were any chance it were 5-octave and poly I’d jump on it but I expect it won’t be.

Or is the image pictured actually the special edition and the plain one won’t have the hinged panel?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:12:35 AM by Quatschmacher »