Next New Sequential Instrument

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #940 on: July 07, 2019, 11:53:33 PM »
I think for me modules are good for people who are using a sequencer to play them otherwise it’s either having to buy a dedicated midi controller keyboard or if im using one of the keyboards I already have I’m sacrificing the sounds of said keyboard in order to play another. This is something I ran into when I had my SEM Pro.

Yes.. there is no other way to play them, than by MIDI... but you can use them without a sequencer, depending on how you are using your synths... in my case, I'm not connected to a computer sequencer at all... I have a MIDI split cable going from my master controller (Roland V-Synth GT) that is then plugged into my REV2 module and PEAK's MIDI input directly... this makes me able to play any of my modules from my V-Synth, I simply turn down the volume for the synths I do not want to hear... it allow me to layer all the synths or some of them if I want to, and then I simply record the audio output live into an audio recorder on my computer instead.

If I want a few sequences to be tight, I simply make them via built in sequencers or arpeggiators, and my V-Synth acts as master clock for all synths connected to it sending MIDI clock messages so that they all stay in sync (works much more flawless and tight than using a computer sequencer as master clock... they are also sloppy in my opinion).

I'm only connected to the computer via USB on all machines, but that's only to control them via SysEx in my editors when designing new sounds... I can though, at any time, use a sequencer on my computer if I want to, I simply do that via USB then... in that case, MIDI goes from my V-Synth into my soundcard's MIDI input, and then the sequencer simply echo the MIDI data out to the synth I want to play this way, using USB MIDI.

This gives me the most flexible setup, and also the most compact studio :)

I get that in your case, if you want to play all your synths at the same time, but with different sequences, then you would need keys on each synth... but this is down to the workflow being different from mine... I only record one synth at a time in layer style (or at least if I play more than one, I'm layering them which do not make any difference).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:01:52 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #941 on: July 09, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »
What about a 32 voice synth but with four part multimbrality? So when you have four parts active they each can have four note polyphony (1 part active: 32Voices, 2 parts:16, 3 parts:8, 4 parts:4.  ....unless Sequential introduce voice allocation then we are in a different ballgame.)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #942 on: July 09, 2019, 02:43:07 PM »
What about a 32 voice synth but with four part multimbrality? So when you have four parts active they each can have four note polyphony (1 part active: 32Voices, 2 parts:16, 3 parts:8, 4 parts:4.  ....unless Sequential introduce voice allocation then we are in a different ballgame.)

I don't think there are many users left that use hardware multitimbrality... the problem with multitimbrality is that effects are always compromised... I would not mind a multitimbral machine though, if each part had it's own dedicated FX engine though... a bit like the REV2 which is dual timbral with each layer having it's own FX section.

Besides I think you got it wrong? ... with 1 part it's 32 voices, with 2 parts it's 16, with 4 parts it would be 8, not 4 :)

But honestly... with a 32 voice multitimbral machine, grouping it like that would be a limit... in a case of true multitimbrality, you'd want to be able to allocate the 32 voices between 16 channels/parts any way you want... the only problem with this though, is that this would require each and every part to have it's own FX ... that is FX per voice... when you group them on 8 like you suggested you would only need 4 FX engines, so there might be an advantage to grouping in 8ths.

Also when you think about it, having an FX engine per voice would require at least 32 ADC's, and if you wanted separate outputs, you'd need 32 DACs as well... this is because of the analog nature... if it was a 100% digital synth, things would be quite different.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:48:36 PM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #943 on: July 09, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »
If I should want a multitimbral synth from Sequential I'd like something like this:

A module based concept... A synth that had say; four sockets, each being able to hold an 8 voice synth card.

The synth card could be anything... an 8voice REV2, an 8voice P6/OB6, an 8 voice Evolver etc.

The synth itself should be focused around having four layers, one for each module, and should be able to play them both multitimbrally, but also layer and stack them for some true amazing sound design capabilities.

Each module should have it's own dedicated FX engine built in.

When it comes to controls, it would have to be built around a large color touch-display, otherwise editing the presets would get completely out of hand, as no sane combination of knobs and buttons would be capable of satisfying each module and it's engine (yes... the sound engine should be on the modules themselves too... a complete synth on a board, only to be controlled by the larger control engine made around them).

Presets should also be stored on the modules, and be module dependent... this means that presets with part data (which would essentially be multis) should only point to the presets used, otherwise it will get complicated to use presets from others, as they may have a different combination of modules installed.

In essence... I'm talking about a multitimbral synth, with voices in groups of 8, but where these groups of eight is a dedicated synth board... this way you can install any combination of synths you might want.

I know that some of you do not like large touch displays and editing this way, but I do not see any other way around it, unless you use a computer to edit the different presets on a module instead... but it would probably be better to have it all inside the machine... and with synths like QUANTUM and ONE being out, with big screens on them, why not Sequential?

Shaw

« Reply #944 on: July 09, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »
If I should want a multitimbral synth from Sequential I'd like something like this:

A module based concept... A synth that had say; four sockets, each being able to hold an 8 voice synth card.

The synth card could be anything... an 8voice REV2, an 8voice P6/OB6, an 8 voice Evolver etc.

The synth itself should be focused around having four layers, one for each module, and should be able to play them both multitimbrally, but also layer and stack them for some true amazing sound design capabilities.

When it comes to controls, it would have to be built around a large color touch-display, otherwise editing the presets would get completely out of hand, as no sane combination of knobs and buttons would be capable of satisfying each module and it's engine (yes... the sound engine should be on the modules themselves too... a complete synth on a board, only to be controlled by the larger control engine made around them).

Presets should also be stored on the modules, and be module dependent... this means that presets with part data (which would essentially be multis) should only point to the presets used, otherwise it will get complicated to use presets from others, as they may have a different combination of modules installed.

In essence... I'm talking about a multitimbral synth, with voices in groups of 8, but where these groups of eight is a dedicated synth board... this way you can install any combination of synths you might want.

I know that some of you do not like large touch displays and editing this way, but I do not see any other way around it, unless you use a computer to edit the different presets on a module instead... but it would probably be better to have it all inside the machine... and with synths like QUANTUM and ONE being out, with big screens on them, why not Sequential?
A modular non-modular poly -- I think I really like that concept.    ;D
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #945 on: July 09, 2019, 03:22:06 PM »

I don't think there are many users left that use hardware multitimbrality... the problem with multitimbrality is that effects are always compromised... I would not mind a multitimbral machine though, if each part had it's own dedicated FX engine though... a bit like the REV2 which is dual timbral with each layer having it's own FX section.

Besides I think you got it wrong? ... with 1 part it's 32 voices, with 2 parts it's 16, with 4 parts it would be 8, not 4 :)

But honestly... with a 32 voice multitimbral machine, grouping it like that would be a limit... in a case of true multitimbrality, you'd want to be able to allocate the 32 voices between 16 channels/parts any way you want... the only problem with this though, is that this would require each and every part to have it's own FX ... that is FX per voice... when you group them on 8 like you suggested you would only need 4 FX engines, so there might be an advantage to grouping in 8ths.

Also when you think about it, having an FX engine per voice would require at least 32 ADC's, and if you wanted separate outputs, you'd need 32 DACs as well... this is because of the analog nature... if it was a 100% digital synth, things would be quite different.

You are correct. I failed math lol.

Yeah it would be a tad complicated but could each engine not have it's own dedicated effects and stereo outputs? Think of the Prophet X's outputs how each channel has two effects and two stereo outputs....so just multiple that by 2 and you essentially have 4 pairs of stereo outputs with each dedicated to each channel and each channel could theoretically have dual effects.

LoboLives

« Reply #946 on: July 09, 2019, 03:25:05 PM »

I think it would just be a lot easier to add "Layer C" and "Layer D" buttons and with a holding combination of each button as well as combinations of holding a Layer button with Split or Stack you could essentially have everything on the front but just instead of having the layout repeated once for Layer B, it's repeated 3 times for B,C,D.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #947 on: July 09, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »

I don't see that it's non-modular? ... the problem with a modular concept like this is that users would have different modules in it, making multi setups a personal thing that would not work on other configurations, unless you had the exact same modules installed... but I really do not see this as a big deal, as it was means mainly as a multi timbral synth.

The worst thing about this synth is probably that it would be dead expensive... but on the other hand, you could always add modules along the way.

It would also have to be able to play the modules polyphonically, so that you could put in 4 of the same module, and have a 32 voice synth...

...but I know this synth will never happen.... i just would like to pay around with such a synth that had four different types of synthesis on four layers, combining them into complete sounds... on the other hand... this could also be done by simply layering four synths, so maybe it's a bad idea anyway... just a quick synth brainstorm from me here :D

To be honest... i do not know what I would like to see from Sequential next... I'd like to see a new Tempest, but also a new digital FPGA front end synth... but I'd also like to see something inovative with synthesis types we have not seen yet... I'd actually like to see some physical modelling on the front end, with analog filters/vcas too...

If I had to choose one right now, it would probably be a new Tempest because I really do need a proper drummachine with analog filters/vcas that has both sample option and a synth voice (like on the Tempest), but with an added FX engine so that it can work stand alone without the need for a lot of external FX processing... the only drummachine at the moment that comes lose is the TR-8S, but it has no analog parts...

OceanMachine

« Reply #948 on: July 09, 2019, 03:35:29 PM »
I'd like to see a new Tempest, but also a new digital FPGA front end synth... but I'd also like to see something inovative with synthesis types we have not seen yet... I'd actually like to see some physical modelling on the front end, with analog filters/vcas too...

If I had to choose one right now, it would probably be a new Tempest because I really do need a proper drummachine with analog filters/vcas that has both sample option and a synth voice (like on the Tempest), but with an added FX engine so that it can work stand alone without the need for a lot of external FX processing...

Agreed.

LoboLives

« Reply #949 on: July 09, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »

I don't see that it's non-modular? ... the problem with a modular concept like this is that users would have different modules in it, making multi setups a personal thing that would not work on other configurations, unless you had the exact same modules installed... but I really do not see this as a big deal, as it was means mainly as a multi timbral synth.

The worst thing about this synth is probably that it would be dead expensive... but on the other hand, you could always add modules along the way.

It would also have to be able to play the modules polyphonically, so that you could put in 4 of the same module, and have a 32 voice synth...

...but I know this synth will never happen.... i just would like to pay around with such a synth that had four different types of synthesis on four layers, combining them into complete sounds... on the other hand... this could also be done by simply layering four synths, so maybe it's a bad idea anyway... just a quick synth brainstorm from me here :D

To be honest... i do not know what I would like to see from Sequential next... I'd like to see a new Tempest, but also a new digital FPGA front end synth... but I'd also like to see something inovative with synthesis types we have not seen yet... I'd actually like to see some physical modelling on the front end, with analog filters/vcas too...

If I had to choose one right now, it would probably be a new Tempest because I really do need a proper drummachine with analog filters/vcas that has both sample option and a synth voice (like on the Tempest), but with an added FX engine so that it can work stand alone without the need for a lot of external FX processing... the only drummachine at the moment that comes lose is the TR-8S, but it has no analog parts...

I can see a new Drum Machine coming maybe next year or so. They've discontinued the MophoX4, Prophet 12 and Pro2...and I would consider the Tempest part of that family.

Just hope they don't name it something stupid like the MetroGnome or BoomChick. Ugh.

A dedicated FM based Sequential synth may be cool. Paul Dither designed a concept for an 8 operator knob per function layout so it could be done and would be quite unique to the market.

Phsyical modelling would be interesting but I've always associated that type of synthesis with stage pianos.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #950 on: July 09, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »
FM with analog filter/VCA would be cool, but it seriously need to be easy to program, which is a longshot when it comes to FM synthesis to be honest... maybe if they did it somewhat like the way KORG did it on their older DS-8 keyboard FM synth... You can already get FM'ish sounds on the Prophet 12, and also the PEAK. Also, if ever an FM synth, it should definitely be done in fast-rate FPGA synthesis, otherwise it will sound harsh because of aliasing etc.

Regarding the Prophet 12... the module has not been discontinued yet i believe... which is still puzzling me... I've come to the conclusion that it's probably been discontinued because Sequential are not buying any more of those keybeds they used in the Prophet 12 keyboard, since they switched to FATAR instead... otherwise I see no reason to discontinue that one, but not the module version... I asked Sequential about it in another thread, but they never responded to me, so I still do not know why it was discontinued.

But IF they ever make a new Tempest, I hope they limit it to 16 sounds, so that they can implement a proper MIDI specification where every drumsound can be externally controlled via MIDI on their own MIDI channel... the MIDI conscept of the current Tempest is really REALLY bad... and they also need to make sure it is well spec'ed, so they do not run out of flash/RAM or whatever... the FX section is mandatory in my opinion... it WILL NEED to be stand alone capable... also, the oscillators should be purely digital this time, so we can avoid those dreaded pops and clicks and unstable curtis chips... filters could be the new ones from the Prophet X. nd one function I'd like to see on such a Tempest; the round robin sample function, so that you can create several hits of the same drumsound, and make it sound more realistic.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:51:30 PM by Razmo »

LoboLives

« Reply #951 on: July 09, 2019, 04:17:47 PM »
FM with analog filter/VCA would be cool, but it seriously need to be easy to program, which is a longshot when it comes to FM synthesis to be honest... maybe if they did it somewhat like the way KORG did it on their older DS-8 keyboard FM synth... You can already get FM'ish sounds on the Prophet 12, and also the PEAK. Also, if ever an FM synth, it should definitely be done in fast-rate FPGA synthesis, otherwise it will sound harsh because of aliasing etc.

Regarding the Prophet 12... the module has not been discontinued yet i believe... which is still puzzling me... I've come to the conclusion that it's probably been discontinued because Sequential are not buying any more of those keybeds they used in the Prophet 12 keyboard, since they switched to FATAR instead... otherwise I see no reason to discontinue that one, but not the module version... I asked Sequential about it in another thread, but they never responded to me, so I still do not know why it was discontinued.

But IF they ever make a new Tempest, I hope they limit it to 16 sounds, so that they can implement a proper MIDI specification where every drumsound can be externally controlled via MIDI on their own MIDI channel... the MIDI conscept of the current Tempest is really REALLY bad... and they also need to make sure it is well spec'ed, so they do not run out of flash/RAM or whatever... the FX section is mandatory in my opinion... it WILL NEED to be stand alone capable... also, the oscillators should be purely digital this time, so we can avoid those dreaded pops and clicks and unstable curtis chips... filters could be the new ones from the Prophet X. nd one function I'd like to see on such a Tempest; the round robin sample function, so that you can create several hits of the same drumsound, and make it sound more realistic.

I think Sequential is simply just keeping the P12 module around until the next synth drops. Maybe they are just clearing out old stock.

Well Roger Linn is working on a drum machine so we shall see how that goes...and the new SP-2400 from ISLA is something that's an instant buy for me once it becomes available.

I think where the Tempest and MIDI run into a problem for me is not being able to have multiple synth midi channels control multiple external mono synths. I love using it as a bass sequencer, just press play and have a massive bass sequence playing along with the drums and have my PX and Sub 37 layered on that channel...still I'd also like to be able to sequence something else on a different channel...but I guess that falls into MPC territory or just a dedicated sequencer territory. 

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #952 on: July 09, 2019, 04:47:12 PM »

I think Sequential is simply just keeping the P12 module around until the next synth drops. Maybe they are just clearing out old stock.

Well Roger Linn is working on a drum machine so we shall see how that goes...and the new SP-2400 from ISLA is something that's an instant buy for me once it becomes available.

I think where the Tempest and MIDI run into a problem for me is not being able to have multiple synth midi channels control multiple external mono synths. I love using it as a bass sequencer, just press play and have a massive bass sequence playing along with the drums and have my PX and Sub 37 layered on that channel...still I'd also like to be able to sequence something else on a different channel...but I guess that falls into MPC territory or just a dedicated sequencer territory.

A new Tempest could certainly control external gear... Sequential simply has to make sure it has enough power to perform, and if they keep to the 16 sounds concept, everything gets more streamlines MIDI wise since MIDI allow for only 16 channels... with this concept, and a MIDI output it should theoretically be able to control external gear on 16 channels, though it may give some problems with MIDI's limited bandwidth if 16 devices was to be controlled... for that more MIDI outputs would be required.

The nice thing about having each sound dedicated to it's own channel is that then you can control a sound externally via CCs and NRPN, and you would also be able to automate live tweaks to a sound by recording channel MIDI messages on an external sequencer... it will also make external editors possible, either with CC/NRPN or even SysEx control.

What I feel they forgot about the original Tempest is that not only live players would want to use it... people would want to use it in studios too, playing it as a sound module... I for one hate to program sequences in patterns, it's rather unintuitive for me... i want to be able to program my beats directly on tracks in my computer sequencer that then sends trigger note-ons to the Tempest along with automation data.... sure it should be capable of playing standalone with it's own cool sequencer, but I really think a new Tempest should be for both types of users...

Alternatively two versions of a Tempest could be made... one made for live usage, and another one which is more like an engine with studio use in mind... such a device could completely take out the sequencer part since playing it would be done from a sequencer on a DAW instead...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:54:13 PM by Razmo »

Shaw

« Reply #953 on: July 09, 2019, 05:16:44 PM »

I don't see that it's non-modular? ...
Modular because the 4 8-voice synth blocks are interchangeable.
Non-modular because each 8-voice module, as you described, is a self contained synth voice complete with modulation and effects (no wiring!) and, presumably, its own preset storage.  That sounds like a very non-modular synth voice to me.
... and Poly because, well, 32 voices rock!

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #954 on: July 10, 2019, 01:05:30 AM »
Not to be pedantic, but regardless of how many "separate" (i.e. different voicing or even different architecture) eight voice polys you stack or split, you're still going to end up with an eight voice poly, albeit a highly multitimbral one. Though I'm sure that's not news to you.

Personally, despite only having six voices, my P6 covers all my analog needs. It's amazing how much you can do with only six voices, a single layer, and limited modulation. The only real limit I feel is use of the sustain pedal, which I've learned to minimize my use of. I've also found that stacking multiple layers all playing the same part is overbearing in most musical situations. If you want to let a composition speak, you don't really need a synth with complex modulation capabilities either. Now if you're looking for cool soundscapes, that's when you want complex modulation and thick layering. The only real other benefit (imo) is the ability for splits for live players that don't have the luxury of a multiple synth set up. Basically what I'm looking for is not more of the same, but a difference of kind. I'm looking for a digital synth that covers crystalline sounds, thus I might end up with a Novation Summit
at some point depending on what Sequential does next. I also need a drum machine that's a) fun to play and b) has a good sequencer. Given it would have a synth engine as well with samples, I would be able to cover (or at least approximate) the colder toned synthesis I'm looking for to a degree I'd be satisfied with. That would kill two birds with one stone for me while keeping my setup simple.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:25:06 AM by Ocean Machine »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #955 on: July 10, 2019, 01:33:16 AM »
Not to be pedantic, but regardless of how many "separate" (i.e. different voicing or even different architecture) eight voice polys you stack or split, you're still going to end up with an eight voice poly, albeit a highly multitimbral one. Though I'm sure that's not news to you.

Personally, despite only having six voices, my P6 covers all my analog needs. It's amazing how much you can do with only six voices, a single layer, and limited modulation. The only real limit I feel is use of the sustain pedal, which I've learned to minimize my use of. I've also found that stacking multiple layers all playing the same part is overbearing in most musical situations. If you want to let a composition speak, you don't really need a synth with complex modulation capabilities either. Now if you're looking for cool soundscapes, that's when you want complex modulation and thick layering. The only real other benefit (imo) is the ability for splits for live players that don't have the luxury of a multiple synth set up. Basically what I'm looking for is not more of the same, but a difference of kind. I'm looking for a digital synth that covers crystalline sounds, thus I might end up with a Novation Summit
at some point depending on what Sequential does next. I also need a drum machine that's a) fun to play and b) has a good sequencer. Given it would have a synth engine as well with samples, I would be able to cover (or at least approximate) the colder toned synthesis I'm looking for to a degree I'd be satisfied with. That would kill two birds with one stone for me while keeping my setup simple.

The Summit also has my attention, though I'd hope it comes out in a module version, otherwise I would have to find room for yet another keyboard that I do not have, or let go of my V-Synth GT... but that will not happen ... there is nothing like it out there.

Regarding the 8voices... if you were refering to my modular consept, no... if you put in 4 of the same module, and the multi setups can be set to use all four as a single synth, then you would potentially have a 32 voice polysynth... basically the REV2 is working like this... it's two separate synths capable of polychaining internally.

anyway... I'll jut wait and see what comes next... can't be that long until something new is revealed...

« Reply #956 on: July 10, 2019, 08:13:21 AM »

I whole heartedly agree Ocean Machine.   If I need layers and layers then I'll slap on a midi cable to another synth. Rather than trying to out-size the competition with everything under the sun in one box,  I much rather see Sequential keep it focus on keeping a good interface and perhaps tucking in some innovative niche to it.   That's basically what happened with PEK.  So, a revision of PEK with some expanded fm, and easier importing of waveform abilities would be great.   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

chysn

« Reply #957 on: July 10, 2019, 11:41:39 AM »
INHALT (Matia Simovich) is selling a Pro-One on the Facebook Marketplace. In his description, he says, "Selling because I know something you don’t lol." He's done lots of sounds for current Sequential instruments, so it seems quite probable that he knows something that we don't. What could he know, that we don't, that would cause him to sell his Pro-One?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #958 on: July 10, 2019, 12:31:24 PM »
INHALT (Matia Simovich) is selling a Pro-One on the Facebook Marketplace. In his description, he says, "Selling because I know something you don’t lol." He's done lots of sounds for current Sequential instruments, so it seems quite probable that he knows something that we don't. What could he know, that we don't, that would cause him to sell his Pro-One?

Maybe something to hit back at Behringer? Though I believe it would probably be somwthing that will not catch my attention, if that is what it is... I see no reason to sell a Pro One, if the secret thing cannot stand in for it...

chysn

« Reply #959 on: July 10, 2019, 04:50:38 PM »
Though I believe it would probably be somwthing that will not catch my attention, if that is what it is... I see no reason to sell a Pro One, if the secret thing cannot stand in for it...

It would totally catch my attention.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his