Next New Sequential Instrument

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #840 on: January 29, 2019, 09:06:01 AM »
Yes, the paraphonic envelope is one of the keys.  But once you're sustaining a note or chord, it's all the same.

That audio quality is terrible.  Why would Behringer post a demonstration that sounds like a Farfisa organ on a bad day?   And there's a steep price to pay for making the instrument "portable."  You could somewhat compensate for a string machine's inherent thinness of tone by maintaining a bass note, but not with Behringer's tiny tot version.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:18:34 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #841 on: January 29, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »
tiny tot version.
That's my new favorite phrase for the Roland / Yamaha / Behringer mini-toys
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #842 on: January 29, 2019, 10:19:32 AM »
Yes, the paraphonic envelope is one of the keys.  But once you're sustaining a note or chord, it's all the same.

That audio quality is terrible.  Why would Behringer post a demonstration that sounds like a Farfisa organ on a bad day?   And there's a steep price to pay for making the instrument "portable."  You could somewhat compensate for a string machine's inherent thinness of tone by maintaining a bass note, but not with Behringer's tiny tot version.

Well you could do that with an external midi controller. I know it's not ideal but realistically I think Behringer knows it's a niche product even among synth heads so making a 5 octave version isn't economically realistic.

Shame that I won't buy a Behringer product, I actually like the sound of it.

LoboLives

« Reply #843 on: January 29, 2019, 10:33:53 AM »
I do wonder though...will Sequential do yet another Prophet or will it be a totally different name?

Shaw

« Reply #844 on: January 29, 2019, 10:37:43 AM »

Well you could do that with an external midi controller. I know it's not ideal but realistically I think Behringer knows it's a niche product even among synth heads so making a 5 octave version isn't economically realistic.

Shame that I won't buy a Behringer product, I actually like the sound of it.
Well, unless you need it live, there are some decent software [gasp!] emulations [sorry for uttering the S word].  And in a mix, you likely can’t tell a difference.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #845 on: January 29, 2019, 11:08:46 AM »

I know it's not ideal but realistically I think Behringer knows it's a niche product even among synth heads so making a 5 octave version isn't economically realistic.

As I'm sure you know, the common keyboard length of the old string machines was four octaves.  Even that would have sufficed for so limited an instrument.  But three?  In the opinion of many of us, that's too short even for a mono synth.

« Reply #846 on: January 29, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »

I know it's not ideal but realistically I think Behringer knows it's a niche product even among synth heads so making a 5 octave version isn't economically realistic.

As I'm sure you know, the common keyboard length of the old string machines was four octaves.  Even that would have sufficed for so limited an instrument.  But three?  In the opinion of many of us, that's too short even for a mono synth.

Indeed. Now I’ve tasted the Pro 2, the Sub 37 seems annoyingly short. Arturia did it right with Matrixbrute at four octaves.

LoboLives

« Reply #847 on: January 29, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »

Nah I disagree with that mono statement. I see no reason to have so many octaves when you can only play one note at a time. Zero real estate sense.

LoboLives

« Reply #848 on: January 29, 2019, 11:58:48 AM »

Indeed. Now I’ve tasted the Pro 2, the Sub 37 seems annoyingly short. Arturia did it right with Matrixbrute at four octaves.

Pro 2 has the ability to play four voices paraphonically. The keyboard range makes sense. Thr Matrix Brute can play three note paraphonically and split the keyboard. Plus it also had to fit the actual Matrix.

Since you can only play 2 notes paraphonically on the Sub 37 it would not make sense to have more octaves. Form follows function.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:01:11 PM by LoboLives »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #849 on: January 29, 2019, 12:50:14 PM »

Nah I disagree with that mono statement. I see no reason to have so many octaves when you can only play one note at a time. Zero real estate sense.

What about melodies that exceed three octaves?  Mine do all the time.  There are often no opportunities to hit an octave button.  What then?  Even another half-an-octave would be a major improvement, as with the Pro 2 or Minimoog.  Whereas, my dear old Mono Evolver Keyboard was a constant problem for melodies, and I had to sell it for the big one.

Believe me, if three octaves sufficed, then I could happily afford one of the current mono synths.  But they just won't do.  I've owned six different three-octave mono synths, and each time I had problems with their size.  That's a practical fact.  Otherwise, there would have been a Sub 37 or Odyssey sitting in my music room long ago.

It's not without good reason that mono synths have been made over the years in all different shapes and sizes, so as to suit the needs of different types of synthesists.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:18:44 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #850 on: January 29, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »

Pro 2 has the ability to play four voices paraphonically. The keyboard range makes sense. Thr Matrix Brute can play three note paraphonically and split the keyboard. Plus it also had to fit the actual Matrix.

Since you can only play 2 notes paraphonically on the Sub 37 it would not make sense to have more octaves. Form follows function.

I find it much easier to physically jump up octaves rather than constantly having to use the transpose knob. It also frees up a hand to use the pitch and mod wheels instead.

I wrote a line in Bbm the other day that spans a full 3 octaves; it’s playable on the Pro 2 but not on the Subsequent 37. It has fast 16ths in it so using the transpose keys isn’t viable.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #851 on: January 29, 2019, 04:18:00 PM »
I find it much easier to physically jump up octaves rather than constantly having to use the transpose knob. It also frees up a hand to use the pitch and mod wheels instead.

I wrote a line in Bbm the other day that spans a full 3 octaves; it’s playable on the Pro 2 but not on the Subsequent 37. It has fast 16ths in it so using the transpose keys isn’t viable.

Yup.  And add the many cases when you're left hand is playing another instrument, so that it's not free to hit the octave button on your mono synth.  This is less of a problem if you're always multi-tracking, but that's not the case with those of us who record or play live.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:33:12 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #852 on: January 29, 2019, 06:41:58 PM »
Quote from: megamarkd link=topic=125.msg35699#msg35699
or use the subscription model where an owner can pay for the rights to use the "add-ons" from particular companies for a period of time (a la the business software package model used these days).
[a video I didn't watch due to it's title making playback essentially a redundancy measure]

Yes yes, I agree it's a dreadful concept and I'd not like the model to infiltrate the music world in the same way it has the visual creative world, but it was purely a throwaway idea.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #853 on: January 29, 2019, 10:58:09 PM »
Also Roland with their VP-03 and I counted the Mininova because of it's gooseneck mic without thinking it's actually a VA with a vocoder really.

I have a Streichfett and actually am annoyed that Waldorf won't be doing their STVC in a module.  I also think that there is room for a few more paraphonic synths.  I was fairly critical of them before I got a Pulse 2 and found it's paraphonic modes killer chord makers even sharing the one filter and amp.  I used to treat the Evolver in a similar manner by sequencing it's osc's to play chords.

Roland discontinued the VP 03 and the mini Nova is certainly not a dedicated string machine/vocoder

Didn't realise that Roland dropped the module.  Didn't last long really.  I thought it sounded rather nice for a recent times Roland and was sorta jealous of the vocoder.  Roland are getting better and better at digitally cloning their 80's synths.
And yeah, I did mention that the Mininova's vocoder made me just kneejerk it into the list and I'm aware it's a VA as it's namesake was.

To add to all the talk of octave counts: transpose buttons are why I want everything in a module.  That way I can use my own choice of controller and not pay for keyboards too short for the instrument they are on.

I'd like to get an authentic octave-divider string machine.  That dreamy ethereal sound they have can evoke so much emotion from a single chord held for bars on end.  The Streichfett is nice but it's not quite it.  I asked Waldorf about a STVC module and they said their intended market for the STVC doesn't want a module.  But I've got a usable five octave synth with a wonderfully unique orange skin that would be perfect for it already.

LoboLives

« Reply #854 on: January 30, 2019, 07:26:34 AM »

Yup.  And add the many cases when you're left hand is playing another instrument, so that it's not free to hit the octave button on your mono synth.  This is less of a problem if you're always multi-tracking, but that's not the case with those of us who record or play live.

Didn’t seem to hinder Keith Emerson or Herbie Hancock playing Minimoogs and Odysseys. Lol

It is a rather strange conundrum to be in though. “I need more octaves” “use an external controller via midi” “no” lol

LoboLives

« Reply #855 on: February 22, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
I stand corrected...Sequential did have a string synth back in the day.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/prelude.php

« Reply #856 on: March 26, 2019, 07:28:09 PM »
I would like to see one based on an FPGA running very high rate oscillators like what Novation does with the Peak.

A modern 16 voice FPGA 24mhz zero alias oscillators based synth with Analog path and it would open up more oscillator types,modulation etc. Novation Peak is quite an instrument because of this and would love to see what DSI can do with such an processor.
Moog Modular Model 15,Korg Prophecy,Korg Z1,Nord Modular Keyboard,DSI OB6,DSI P12,DSI Rev 2 16voiceMoog Minimoog D,SEM Modules,Moog Slim Phattys,Alesis QS 8.1,Alesis QSR,Roland Integra 7,Genelec 8341s,8040,8030,Novation Peak,Kawai K5000R,Eurorack Modulars,etc..

LoboLives

« Reply #857 on: March 28, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »
I would like to see one based on an FPGA running very high rate oscillators like what Novation does with the Peak.

A modern 16 voice FPGA 24mhz zero alias oscillators based synth with Analog path and it would open up more oscillator types,modulation etc. Novation Peak is quite an instrument because of this and would love to see what DSI can do with such an processor.

Just as long as their is a parameter which allows the user to dial in as little or as much aliasing as they want.

« Reply #858 on: March 29, 2019, 01:40:23 AM »
Whatever it is, I hope it has better pots than the current models. I returned my Pro 2 after the pots became loose after a few weeks. The problem seems not to be the point where they attach to the board but the rotating top section of the pot (the part to which the rubber knobs attach); this part becomes loose and rocks from side to side.

I am looking to buy a poly and spent a few hours playing a P-6, an OB-6 and a Rev 2 and all three had loose pots (OB-6 having the fewest). I know these are floor models and thus potentially subject to abuse but still. I would like my gear to last a long time.

LoboLives

« Reply #859 on: April 10, 2019, 09:28:09 PM »
I do wonder if this new synth will have an entirely digital front end or have a combination of two analog and two digital oscillators like the Poly Evolver. I would think putting analog oscillators on it would start to overlap with their other analog oscillator based synths in their catalog.