Next New Sequential Instrument

Shaw

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #820 on: January 27, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
Could we say a Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2 is nothing like a PXL?   Hmmm....
HA!

Yes you could.  But I somehow think Dave will do something different.  I mean, before the P12, who would have thought he would have created OSC types called "Meh", "Buzz" and "Shrill" -- and THEN allow the synth to smoothly morph among them.  I think he may well head in a direction that could only come from his imagination, not ours.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #821 on: January 27, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
I mean, before the P12, who would have thought he would have created OSC types called "Meh", "Buzz" and "Shrill" -- and THEN allow the synth to smoothly morph among them.

Each time I dial up the waveform "Meh" on my Pro 2, its name never fails to make me smirk.

LoboLives

« Reply #822 on: January 27, 2019, 02:37:54 PM »
One thing I hope is that it's color pallet is visually different. I really like the white P12 and the look of the Poly Evolver Keyboards simply because they aren't the typical black designs. Looking at the current Sequential catalog it would be nice to see something not just sonically different but visually different as well.

« Reply #823 on: January 27, 2019, 02:44:08 PM »
One thing I hope is that it's color pallet is visually different. I really like the white P12 and the look of the Poly Evolver Keyboards simply because they aren't the typical black designs. Looking at the current Sequential catalog it would be nice to see something not just sonically different but visually different as well.

Well, we had yellow already too. And since red is pretty much monopolized by a certain Swedish company, that would only leave green or some other mixed colors. Preferred name for a green synth: Sustainesizer.

LoboLives

« Reply #824 on: January 27, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »

Well, we had yellow already too. And since red is pretty much monopolized by a certain Swedish company, that would only leave green or some other mixed colors. Preferred name for a green synth: Sustainesizer.

Well white, blue, purple would all be welcome....green....hmmm...despite it being my favorite color I'm not sure if it would work for a synth....maybe green LEDs though...that would be different. Pair it with the red LEDs of the P6 and it would be Christmas time all year round lol.

« Reply #825 on: January 27, 2019, 02:52:21 PM »

Well white, blue, purple would all be welcome....green....hmmm...despite it being my favorite color I'm not sure if it would work for a synth....maybe green LEDs though...that would be different. Pair it with the red LEDs of the P6 and it would be Christmas time all year round lol.

Ah, now I wanna call the Globals button on my Prophet-6 the Christmas button.

« Reply #826 on: January 27, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »
The PEK is one of the best-looking keyboards I've seen, so I'd love to see that scheme make a reappearance. Plus Sequential has already had a couple of blue-accented keyboards in its past (VS and 2000), so there's precedence in the Sequential livery.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

LoboLives

« Reply #827 on: January 27, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
It won't happen...but what I'd love to see as a possible smaller synth down the line.

Sequential-Vox.

A four voice paraphonic analog string machine/vocoder.
Both mic and guitar input.
Reverb, Phaser, Chorus and Delay built in as effects with a new Ensemble effect.
I don't believe Sequential ever had a string machine/vocoder. I could be wrong though...still...I think it would be quite unique in their catalog. I know Waldorf and Behringer are coming out with their respective vocoders/string machines but it would be nice to see what Sequential could do with the idea. Not too many paraphonic synths on the market and that's a shame, I really think they have a unique sound to them.

« Reply #828 on: January 27, 2019, 05:56:31 PM »
It won't happen...but what I'd love to see as a possible smaller synth down the line.

Sequential-Vox.

A four voice paraphonic analog string machine/vocoder.
Both mic and guitar input.
Reverb, Phaser, Chorus and Delay built in as effects with a new Ensemble effect.
I don't believe Sequential ever had a string machine/vocoder. I could be wrong though...still...I think it would be quite unique in their catalog. I know Waldorf and Behringer are coming out with their respective vocoders/string machines but it would be nice to see what Sequential could do with the idea. Not too many paraphonic synths on the market and that's a shame, I really think they have a unique sound to them.

I think that would be a bit too retro for Dave's liking. And while Sequential offers many different idiosyncratic machines, each with its own strengths, a string machine/vocoder seems a bit too specialized for what they usually do.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #829 on: January 27, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »
Dave is using his usual "new" and "different" terminology, so I'd say our guesses are in vain.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #830 on: January 28, 2019, 09:54:27 PM »

Ah the colour discussion, not as trivial as some think!

I like this idea.  I have no green in my room yet besides the lettering on the Pulse 2 and Mod-1, both being from one of the most colourful companies there has been over the years but still black and white body colours respectively.

It is mine also!  But maybe yellow flashing lights for less eye damage in the dark.  Deep Forest* Green with yellow blinkies and an oled screen would make for a nice looking machine, though dead sure the traditional ebony and ivory's under it would never match it well.

Sequential-Vox.

No, please no more of these things that seem more abundant now that they ever were in the 70's or 80's!  I can't imagine there's enough room in the market for another with at least four companies making them now.  Good string are always welcome, but not another devoted string machine in the vein of those from the days of yore.
Dave is using his usual "new" and "different" terminology, so I'd say our guesses are in vain.

Now, in keeping with what you/we've all been discussing elsewhere, a synth inline with the current ProX but with perhaps something akin to the SM Pro VMachine (and others) in there also.  I like the idea of user samples and a sophisticated manipulation engine and the Prologue really piqued my curiosity with the 3rd party Osc's being programmed for it.  Combine those to features and all that is really needed is the ability to load plug-in effects onto the synth also.  The synth could come with bare-bones and an option for adding sample sets, Osc models and effects packs for either a one-time "for life" payment, or use the subscription model where an owner can pay for the rights to use the "add-ons" from particular companies for a period of time (a la the business software package model used these days).
This could make for a product that Sequential could continue to produce for many years longer than what is the current popular flagship lifespans while still ensuring a steady flow of revenue other than relying on the sales of hardware.

I'm probably way off the mark on if this is a viable business model for an instrument company (one product rarely sustains a company no matter how good it is) or if it's even a reasonable idea for a synthesiser that people entertain buying then purchasing the add-ons.....but it's a thread for musings.

*Yes, you know what I'm talking about!

LoboLives

« Reply #831 on: January 28, 2019, 10:30:22 PM »
Wait there’s four companies making string machines? I only know Waldorf and Behringer are.

And honestly even if string machines aren’t your thing I do think there’s room for paraphonic synths (I think they have quite a unique sound to them) and especially vocoders. The Pro 2 has an external audio input, would it really be so bad if a vocoder was at least an option.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:43:27 PM by LoboLives »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #832 on: January 29, 2019, 02:18:27 AM »
Also Roland with their VP-03 and I counted the Mininova because of it's gooseneck mic without thinking it's actually a VA with a vocoder really.

I have a Streichfett and actually am annoyed that Waldorf won't be doing their STVC in a module.  I also think that there is room for a few more paraphonic synths.  I was fairly critical of them before I got a Pulse 2 and found it's paraphonic modes killer chord makers even sharing the one filter and amp.  I used to treat the Evolver in a similar manner by sequencing it's osc's to play chords.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #833 on: January 29, 2019, 05:10:17 AM »
Quote from: megamarkd link=topic=125.msg35699#msg35699
or use the subscription model where an owner can pay for the rights to use the "add-ons" from particular companies for a period of time (a la the business software package model used these days).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSudkID3zJM

LoboLives

« Reply #834 on: January 29, 2019, 05:15:27 AM »
Also Roland with their VP-03 and I counted the Mininova because of it's gooseneck mic without thinking it's actually a VA with a vocoder really.

I have a Streichfett and actually am annoyed that Waldorf won't be doing their STVC in a module.  I also think that there is room for a few more paraphonic synths.  I was fairly critical of them before I got a Pulse 2 and found it's paraphonic modes killer chord makers even sharing the one filter and amp.  I used to treat the Evolver in a similar manner by sequencing it's osc's to play chords.

Roland discontinued the VP 03 and the mini Nova is certainly not a dedicated string machine/vocoder

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #835 on: January 29, 2019, 08:11:56 AM »
It's very simple.  If it isn't blue, it isn't an Evolver.  It won't sound the same, and it can't ever sound the same.  An Evolver sounds blue, for blue is its sound.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #836 on: January 29, 2019, 08:19:16 AM »
Wait there’s four companies making string machines? I only know Waldorf and Behringer are.

And honestly even if string machines aren’t your thing I do think there’s room for paraphonic synths (I think they have quite a unique sound to them) and especially vocoders. The Pro 2 has an external audio input, would it really be so bad if a vocoder was at least an option.

I too, have a special little place in my heart for string machines.  Every time I listen to one online, I think, "Goodness gracious, that sounds dreadful!"  The old stringers need to be processed correctly.  With the right amount of EQ and reverb, and for certain contexts a phaser as well, they can sound wonderful.  I had an Elka Rhapasody 490 many moons ago, and used it constantly.  They add a certain magic to a mix, different from the imitations I've attempted with my DSI synthesizers.  I have a feeling Dave's instruments are too good to be able to perfectly imitate them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:20:48 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #837 on: January 29, 2019, 08:27:42 AM »
I have a feeling Dave's instruments are too good to be able to perfectly imitate them.
Blasphemy! 
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #838 on: January 29, 2019, 08:41:02 AM »
I have a feeling Dave's instruments are too good to be able to perfectly imitate them.
Blasphemy!

I've tried and tried, even using two different simultaneous LFO rates for the vibrato.  The DSI version is just too lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWT9yshJuQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRRY6zt_a7g

LoboLives

« Reply #839 on: January 29, 2019, 08:58:01 AM »

I too, have a special little place in my heart for string machines.  Every time I listen to one online, I think, "Goodness gracious, that sounds dreadful!"  The old stringers need to be processed correctly.  With the right amount of EQ and reverb, and for certain contexts a phaser as well, they can sound wonderful.  I had an Elka Rhapasody 490 many moons ago, and used it constantly.  They add a certain magic to a mix, different from the imitations I've attempted with my DSI synthesizers.  I have a feeling Dave's instruments are too good to be able to perfectly imitate them.

The key is the paraphonic nature and the divide down technology used.

https://youtu.be/RsSRuVanfek