Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #680 on: September 08, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »
Rev2 Evolver... REvolver
I really like that idea.

As do I....I just hate the name.

Shaw

« Reply #681 on: September 09, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »
Could be a monosynth loosely based on the P6 or OB6 voices....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #682 on: September 09, 2018, 08:56:43 AM »
Could be a monosynth loosely based on the P6 or OB6 voices....

Mmm I can't see Sequential doing a Mono synth as that market is oversaturated. What I can see happening is Four AS1 engines under one keyboard hood. So four mono synths, each with their own sequencer, patch and effect happening. Thus testing the waters with Multitimbrality.

LoboLives

« Reply #683 on: September 09, 2018, 07:17:20 PM »
I still would like to see a collaboration between John Bowen and Dave Smith.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #684 on: September 10, 2018, 10:49:18 PM »
I'd like to see Dave do a kazoo named "Sequential - Noise"... it must be polyphonic and multitimbral, and fully MIDI spec'ed, and also upgradeable with an add-on nose flute.

I'm so looking forward to seeing Dave in an introduction video for this, calling it "his greatest synth, and first to actually have a breath controller built in".
If you need me, follow the shadows...

blewis

« Reply #685 on: September 11, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »

Well what the heck do you know abouting naming DSI/Sequential synths?  :) 8)

LoboLives

« Reply #686 on: September 11, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »

Well what the heck do you know abouting naming DSI/Sequential synths?  :) 8)

;)

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #687 on: September 11, 2018, 07:09:51 PM »
I'd like to see a new eurorack module, perhaps the osc setup of the Evolver?  That'd sate that eternal cry for an Evolver revival of some sort maybe?

I'd like to see Dave do a kazoo named "Sequential - Noise"... it must be polyphonic and multitimbral.....

Isn't that called an "Harmonica"? ;) I do remember wanting a Jew's Harp in the early 90's....

LoboLives

« Reply #688 on: September 11, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »
As far as MPE goes...this might be an option for Sequential to look into...https://www.gearnews.com/touchkeys-brings-mpe-piano-keyboard/

« Reply #689 on: September 13, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »
As far as MPE goes...this might be an option for Sequential to look into...https://www.gearnews.com/touchkeys-brings-mpe-piano-keyboard/

Or something like the sideways aftertouch triggering on this  this:

https://youtu.be/oewD_ujYBng

LoboLives

« Reply #690 on: September 14, 2018, 10:48:28 AM »
Yeah Synton is also another excellent choice but I do believe that’s only monophonic. I could be wrong.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #691 on: September 18, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »
Hope this gets announced soon, but I'm guessing it's next year's synth...

LoboLives

« Reply #692 on: September 30, 2018, 07:23:53 AM »
Honestly I think Sequential may go back to doing pure analog stuff. With the PX’s support by 8Dio being pushed back months now and the headache they got from the Tempest, I think Dave doesn’t want to do any more collaborations or anything outside the norm of analog again. I hope I’m wrong but if I’m not I’d like to see more VCO based stuff cause I think the P6 and OB6 still sound better than the REV2.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #693 on: September 30, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »
Exactly how does possible issues with collaborative work equate to the assumption of going "back to doing pure analog stuff" only? They can do some kind of next gen digital osc synth with nicer filters like the SSI2144 or even their discrete SSM2040 based filter.

LoboLives

« Reply #694 on: September 30, 2018, 01:01:10 PM »
Exactly how does possible issues with collaborative work equate to the assumption of going "back to doing pure analog stuff" only? They can do some kind of next gen digital osc synth with nicer filters like the SSI2144 or even their discrete SSM2040 based filter.

Possibly but with Waldorf around I don’t see them doing a digital osc only synth. Maybe a new Poly Evolver with both analog and digital oscillators. I can see that and would love that.  Still.. I hope they do one more VCO based synth...likely it won’t be a Poly with Moog’s polysynth in the works but still.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #695 on: October 07, 2018, 01:05:07 AM »
Honestly, I'm not sure what SCI will be doing next... only thing I know is that it is probably something that Dave has not been doing and is not giving much competition to the other devices he's made... because that seems to be the norm here... they overlap, but all synths have something unique... thus I'm not that certain an all analog discrete VCO/VCF synth is in the horizon right at the moment... OB6 and P6 covers enough ground on that.

Also, just changing something like the filter chips (Evolver replica) I do not see as the next step really... unless it has tons of new stuff that simply sets it apart.

But one thing I think that SCI should probably think more about in the future, is their FX section... it's simply too limited compared to other synths capabilities like the Quantum, One and DeepMind12 etc... they need more FX slots, more routing capabilities and better FX (more of them) to beat the competition... so even if people think they would not colaborate, I'd highly suggest SCI to do just that on the FX if they cannot deliver the quality and flexibility themselves... I'd peronaly like to see them make a deal with Valhalla DSP for example... they would be able to deliver on the FX department.

I could see a need for a degraded version of their new flagship though... one that takes focus only on sample use, discarded the digital oscillators, and maybe even cut the voicecount down to 8 to reduce cost, leaving stereo capability out... if you're a sound designer you can easily create stereo depth even if the samples are in mono... with an improved FX section it would be even more easy to do... stereo samples are cool, but absolutely not essential in any way... in fact there are advantages to using mono samples as well for sound design... especially looping of samples is a hell of a lot easier with mono samples (unless you use crossfading of course).
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #696 on: October 08, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
I can see the P12 and Mophox4 being on the chopping block next. I just have a feeling.

LoboLives

« Reply #697 on: October 08, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »
I still have a feeling though a new Poly Evolver….not in name but in concept is next.
Two analog oscillators, two digital oscillators (Wavetables, VS waves, FM etc).
More polyphony (with a 10 voice version and 20 voice version)
Multitimbrality (Each oscillator can have it's own sequence, arpeggiator, effect and patch)
More effects (I'd like to see a Harmonizer or Reverse Delay).
XYZ pad.
Patch selection buttons like on the P6 and OB6.
And blue lights.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #698 on: October 08, 2018, 09:29:43 PM »
Now that the magical $3,000 mark has been crossed, why not?

LoboLives

« Reply #699 on: October 08, 2018, 09:35:04 PM »
Now that the magical $3,000 mark has been crossed, why not?

Might as well at this point lol