Next New Sequential Instrument

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #660 on: September 04, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »
I was only kidding!  But since Dave is in a nostalgic mood these days, I wonder if the new instrument will look to one of his former instruments.  Surely the Evolver line holds a special place.  Just dreaming....

LoboLives

« Reply #661 on: September 04, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »
I think the Paul Dither interview with Dave gives clues on to what might be next : Multitimbrality, MPE etc.

dslsynth

« Reply #662 on: September 04, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
I was only kidding!  But since Dave is in a nostalgic mood these days, I wonder if the new instrument will look to one of his former instruments.  Surely the Evolver line holds a special place.  Just dreaming....

Well, one can only hope that they mix tradition with new stuff and sometimes make more adventurous designs. But as said: lets wait and see what happens. Its so easy to be disappointed if the expectations are too high.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #663 on: September 04, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
I agree.  I gave up on the guessing game long ago.  Besides, I'm fine with whatever DSI makes.  They've never made a synthesizer I didn't like.

Shaw

« Reply #664 on: September 04, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »
I agree.  I gave up on the guessing game long ago.  Besides, I'm fine with whatever DSI makes.  They've never made a synthesizer I didn't like.
That’s the problem... my wallet can’t take another one yet.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

dslsynth

« Reply #665 on: September 04, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »
Besides, I'm fine with whatever DSI makes.  They've never made a synthesizer I didn't like.

I prefer to say that I find all DSI/Sequential designs interesting but I like some of the designs more than the other designs.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #666 on: September 04, 2018, 03:39:43 PM »
You know I wouldn’t even mind if it’s was another four octave synth. I know a lot of people don’t like them but I’ve actually grown to appreciate my Prophet 6. Especially since it’s Mono timbral.

« Reply #667 on: September 05, 2018, 07:41:12 AM »
Given the 40th anniversary one might expect some kind of Prophet 5 homage (though Dave said he wasn’t into reissues).

I think I might put off my next purchase for a while to see what this is.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #668 on: September 05, 2018, 08:57:38 AM »
I'd like to see DSI produce the modern equivalent of the Mopho x4.  It would be a refreshing change to offer a smaller less expensive instrument, something that gathers up the many technical advances DSI/Sequential has made over the last several years.  It could serve as both a small analog polyphonic and a monophonic instrument, something like a reduced version of the Rev2, but different.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:37:25 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #669 on: September 05, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
I'd like to see DSI produce the modern equivalent of the Mopho x4.  It would be a refreshing change to offer a smaller less expensive instrument, something that gathers up the many technical advances DSI/Sequential has made over the last several years.  It could serve as both a small analog polyphonic and a monophonic instrument, something like a reduced version of the Rev2, but different.

Or possibly the idea of a Pro4. Four VCO based Mono synths under the hood which each can have their own effect, patch, sequence. Can be split, or layered across the keyboard and configured in different settings with some engines being controlled by the sequencers and some controlled by the keyboard etc. Sort of like 4 Pioneer AS1 units chained together with a keyboard.

LoboLives

« Reply #670 on: September 05, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
Given the 40th anniversary one might expect some kind of Prophet 5 homage (though Dave said he wasn’t into reissues).

I mean that’s essentially what the P6 is.

« Reply #671 on: September 05, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »

Aside from the short keyboard.  :)

LoboLives

« Reply #672 on: September 05, 2018, 08:01:20 PM »

Aside from the short keyboard.  :)

And more features and stability.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #673 on: September 06, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »
Plus the P6's 2040 based filters are discrete. I remember Dave chuckling when talking about folks who claim the old Prophets are so much better sounding than the P6.

On a side note - I'm curious if there's any word on whether the current DSI labeled line-up will be rebranded as Sequential going forward?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:21:53 PM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #674 on: September 06, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »

On a side note - I'm curious if there's any word on whether the current DSI labeled line-up will be rebranded as Sequential going forward?

I asked that very question via a comment on their Facebook announcement but haven’t heard anything.

LoboLives

« Reply #675 on: September 06, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »
Plus the P6's 2040 based filters are discrete. I remember Dave chuckling when talking about folks who claim the old Prophets are so much better sounding than the P6.

I don’t think so but you never know. I’m pretty sure this is why they already have a new synth almost ready to go. Want to just start pumping out some Sequential gear cause so far they only have two out of their lineup.

eXode

« Reply #676 on: September 08, 2018, 01:39:25 AM »
It's a shame that Doug Curtis isn't with us anymore. I would have loved to see a new development of the "synth on a chip" for use in future sequential products.

Some ideas I had for an evolved chip:

• Provide inter-oscillator modulation. FM might not be possible (for DCO), but perhaps AM and RM modulation would have been possible (or just a simple MS20 style XOR logic)
  • Switchable sub octave generator (comparator based?) SH101 style (-1 oct square, -2 octave square, -2 octave 25% pulse)
  • Individual levels for OSC1 and OSC2
  • Possible to not only clip, but also overdrive/saturate the signal path pre/post filter
  • Filter pole/phase output mixing for the filter so that it's possible to build different filter modes a'la Oberheim Xpander
  • Optional gain cell for feedback so that it's possible to incorporate gain compensation, greater freedom to tweak the filter character
  • Optional gain/drive/saturation for the amplifier
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 01:44:48 AM by eXode »

eXode

« Reply #677 on: September 08, 2018, 01:52:05 AM »

It would likely end up too expensive, but I have entertained the idea of a Mopho X6 with the SSI2144 filter. >:D

blewis

« Reply #678 on: September 08, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Rev2 Evolver... REvolver

« Reply #679 on: September 08, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »
Rev2 Evolver... REvolver
I really like that idea.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!