Next New Sequential Instrument

Shaw

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #640 on: August 06, 2018, 06:39:26 PM »
I'd be happy simply to get a Poly Evolver Keyboard in brand new condition to last for the long haul - no feature addition requests at all.
Not even a request for more polyphony? 8 voices?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #641 on: August 06, 2018, 06:51:12 PM »
I'd be happy simply to get a Poly Evolver Keyboard in brand new condition to last for the long haul - no feature addition requests at all.
Not even a request for more polyphony? 8 voices?

Yes, that would be nice.  A ten-voice PEK would be a dream-come-true, but I was also considering the price.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #642 on: August 22, 2018, 04:36:53 AM »
I'm sorry, but I do not think that a reissue of the Evolver will be done... Dave allready said that the P12 was that really...

I actually believe that the next thing might be something that will utilize the new SSM Rossum chips that we now saw in the Prophet X... maybe it could even be an update to the Prophet 12... a lot of people have been asking for something multitimbral for studio use... i've seen these requests a lot, so it might even be something in that direction, using the SSM chips maybe... I'm certain that anything that would need a high voicecount like a multitimbral synth would be using chips instead of solid state filters etc.

Actually, what i would like to see is something a bit different... there have been many complaints when it comes to the Tempest, and i really think that this is an area where DSI should update it to a more advanced machine... this is a machine that would also benefit from the two new technologies that's in the PX... the sample part, so that a Tempest 2 could finaly have user samples, and the new SSM filter for the voices... but also including digital FX which I missed a lot when I had the Tempest, so that you're free from fiddling about with external FX on individual outputs... A Tempest 2, with added user sample support, internal FX and SSM filters is certainly something I'd like to see next... preferably with an option to have either 8 or 16 voices like with the REV2.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #643 on: August 22, 2018, 07:24:14 AM »
I'm sorry, but I do not think that a reissue of the Evolver will be done... Dave allready said that the P12 was that really...

No need to apologize.  I agree.  We're just dreaming out loud here.

LoboLives

« Reply #644 on: August 22, 2018, 09:35:10 AM »

I actually believe that the next thing might be something that will utilize the new SSM Rossum chips that we now saw in the Prophet X... maybe it could even be an update to the Prophet 12... a lot of people have been asking for something multitimbral for studio use... i've seen these requests a lot, so it might even be something in that direction, using the SSM chips maybe... I'm certain that anything that would need a high voicecount like a multitimbral synth would be using chips instead of solid state filters etc.

Actually, what i would like to see is something a bit different... there have been many complaints when it comes to the Tempest, and i really think that this is an area where DSI should update it to a more advanced machine... this is a machine that would also benefit from the two new technologies that's in the PX... the sample part, so that a Tempest 2 could finaly have user samples, and the new SSM filter for the voices... but also including digital FX which I missed a lot when I had the Tempest, so that you're free from fiddling about with external FX on individual outputs... A Tempest 2, with added user sample support, internal FX and SSM filters is certainly something I'd like to see next... preferably with an option to have either 8 or 16 voices like with the REV2.

Dave also once remarked he would never do another VCO synth again....well...

I don’t see the Tempest 2 happening. There’s way to many options with the MPC stuff and even DSI’s collaboration with pioneer which had the P6 filter and user sampling. I think Dave philosophy is to stand out rather than fit in.

I think the key is listening to that interview Dave did with Paul Dither. He spoke about MPE, multitimbrality so I could see a four part multitimbral synth with 20 voices.

Personally, like I said, I would love for John Bowen and Dave to do a synth together again and create the ultimate digital/analog hybrid. Concepts of the Solaris meets the REV2 with the two digital oscillators having all the VS waves, hundred something waves licensed from Waldorf while two analog DCO (I’d hope for VCO’s but doubtful) from the REV2 but also with a Supersaw option as well. The joy stick and ribbon controller of the Solaris. Four part multitimbrality each with its own dual effects, sequence, arpeggiator and keyboard split zone. 10 voices stereo with 20 voice mono option.  I mean essentially that is a Poly Evolver in concept but on steroids.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »

Dave also once remarked he would never do another VCO synth again....well...

I don’t see the Tempest 2 happening. There’s way to many options with the MPC stuff and even DSI’s collaboration with pioneer which had the P6 filter and user sampling. I think Dave philosophy is to stand out rather than fit in.

I think the key is listening to that interview Dave did with Paul Dither. He spoke about MPE, multitimbrality so I could see a four part multitimbral synth with 20 voices.

Personally, like I said, I would love for John Bowen and Dave to do a synth together again and create the ultimate digital/analog hybrid. Concepts of the Solaris meets the REV2 with the two digital oscillators having all the VS waves, hundred something waves licensed from Waldorf while two analog DCO (I’d hope for VCO’s but doubtful) from the REV2 but also with a Supersaw option as well. The joy stick and ribbon controller of the Solaris. Four part multitimbrality each with its own dual effects, sequence, arpeggiator and keyboard split zone. 10 voices stereo with 20 voice mono option.  I mean essentially that is a Poly Evolver in concept but on steroids.

The "Tempest 2" was my dream... not because i think it will ever happen... I know that Dave once talked about the work on the Tempest was exhausting, so I think he's probably scared of doing another one... still... I think there would be a good reason to make one that features the things that the first Tempest did not... It may not be DSI though, that will create this device... i don't know... and i really do not care either to be honest... I've learned not to expect anything from DSI... I'll just see what pops up, and if it catches my interrest, that gives you the least headaches ;)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Shaw

« Reply #646 on: September 01, 2018, 02:47:28 PM »
I might be alone on this one, but Dave’s take on a Matrix 12 would be sweet!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #647 on: September 02, 2018, 04:32:19 AM »

In a way, every DSI synth was a take on the Matrix 12 – at least with regard to the almost modular mod matrix.

Shaw

« Reply #648 on: September 02, 2018, 07:09:44 AM »

In a way, every DSI synth was a take on the Matrix 12 – at least with regard to the almost modular mod matrix.
That’s very true.  I suppose then what I really want is a cross between the OB-6 and the Rev2 16 voice:
16 voices, bi-timbral
Oberheim VCOs and SVFs
4 LFOs
4 Envelopes
The “everything mod matrix” that we all love
Arpeggiator
Sequencer (for events like the Pro 2)
Effects are optional (IMHO)

I know the Rev 2 is very close to that, but the heart wants what the heart wants...

« Reply #649 on: September 02, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
I suppose then what I really want is a cross between the OB-6 and the Rev2 16 voice:
16 voices, bi-timbral
Oberheim VCOs and SVFs
4 LFOs
4 Envelopes
The “everything mod matrix” that we all love
Arpeggiator
Sequencer (for events like the Pro 2)
Effects are optional (IMHO)

I know the Rev 2 is very close to that, but the heart wants what the heart wants...

In case you had SEM circuitry in mind: The Matrix 12 was entirely based on Curtis chips. But just like every Oberheim synth built after the OB-X, that didn't make it sound similar to any of Prophets, though. I'm surprised you didn't mention the multimode filter, which – next to the mod matrix itself – was one of the features that stood out the most. Based on 4 combined 1 pole circuits it allowed for 15 filter configurations in total. I guess the only modern analog poly that allowed for similar filter settings is the 008.

« Reply #650 on: September 02, 2018, 12:50:50 PM »
I’d be happy if whatever comes next has a five-octave Fatar TP9S keybed, pitch and mod wheels next to the keyboard and the sliders and sequencer from the Pro 2 (but polyphonic).

I’m still new to this. I think I’d be quite happy with the P6 if it weren’t for the short keyboard.

Shaw

« Reply #651 on: September 02, 2018, 12:57:38 PM »
I'm surprised you didn't mention the multimode filter, which – next to the mod matrix itself – was one of the features that stood out the most. Based on 4 combined 1 pole circuits it allowed for 15 filter configurations in total. I guess the only modern analog poly that allowed for similar filter settings is the 008.
Yeah... that would be sweet, but realistically, I don’t think Sequntial would do it... I don’t know why I don’t think Dave would do it.  I suppose I’m just basing that on the Filter variations he’s released thusfar.

LoboLives

« Reply #652 on: September 02, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »
I actually wouldn’t mind a four octave keyboard. It’s never hindered me with what I do. I think if you start adding splits and layers that’s the only time you really should have a larger keybed. Honestly, I think that the P6 and OB6 are probably going to be the last VCO based synths Dave does. I think he’s going to move on to different forms of synthesis and newer stuff for Sequential. I mean realistically...what else can he do with analog synthesis at this point?

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #653 on: September 02, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »
...I mean realistically...what else can he do with analog synthesis at this point?

It's been done over and over and over again, as has my call for hybrid synths.  I recently bought a Sallen-Key (Steiner) filter with an input at each pole.  Makes for some interesting effects when sweeping the filter not too dissimilar to vector synthesis.  Running a sample-based sound source into it's three inputs and modulating the sample/s via the same source as the filter modulation kept me nicely entertained for some hours last night.

LoboLives

« Reply #654 on: September 04, 2018, 09:10:00 AM »
Interesting to note...around the 430 mark he states Sequential has a new synth in the works!

https://youtu.be/2ReqlXhSD3M

dslsynth

« Reply #655 on: September 04, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
Interesting to note...around the 430 mark he states Sequential has a new synth in the works!

Well, they always have a new synth in development so no surprise there. But if there one to be announced soon that would be very new. Interesting!

Thanks a lot for sharing the video.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #656 on: September 04, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »

Well, they always have a new synth in development so no surprise there. But if there one to be announced soon that would be very new. Interesting!

Thanks a lot for sharing the video.

No problem. :). My mind is racing on what it might be. New Poly Evolver? New Pro-something? A new Six Trak? A new Dual Keyboard Prophet 10 but with P6’s voicing?

dslsynth

« Reply #657 on: September 04, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
My mind is racing on what it might be. New Poly Evolver? New Pro-something? A new Six Trak? A new Dual Keyboard Prophet 10 but with P6’s voicing?

It could be many things. Best advice is to just wait and see what it will be. Much easier that way!

As for guessing what comes next one have to resort to different disciplines!

. o O ( :-X )
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #658 on: September 04, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
It's either a Prophet 7, a Prophet 9, or a Prophet 11!  Equally interesting, I wonder what instrument it will be replacing, if any.  I say the Prophet 12 is next on the chopping block, or else, the Mopho x4.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:14:13 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #659 on: September 04, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »
It's either a Prophet 7, a Prophet 9, or a Prophet 11!  Equally interesting, I wonder what instrument it will be replacing, if any.  I say the Prophet 12 is next on the chopping block, or else, the Mopho x4.

There are many options on both voice architecture, user interface and product naming fronts. Not to mention all the products that can have a "Pro" prefix. So I have stopped guessing and are only curious to see if the voice architecture would interest me. Much easier that way!
#!/bin/sh