Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #580 on: February 05, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »

Shaw

« Reply #581 on: February 05, 2018, 11:24:35 AM »

I hope it is at least premium tequila...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

dslsynth

« Reply #582 on: February 05, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
Maybe there is room for a hybrid design based on the above presented concepts!?

:o . o O ( bugquila )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #583 on: February 05, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »
The silence is deafening over here....

I've been thinking the same thing.  Not a word, not a hint, not a clue, not even an approximate date.

dslsynth

« Reply #584 on: February 05, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »
Maybe they take their time? Maybe its a larger and more complex design?
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #585 on: February 05, 2018, 01:53:18 PM »
I think it's a good thing if they just follow their own schedule as opposed to teasing months in advance with no tangible outcome yet. The past years have been busy, so if they go for something different, it's only natural that it takes some more time. It's not like there have been years in which nothing happened.

Shaw

« Reply #586 on: February 05, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »
Not trying to sound unappreciative or impatient — because I am greatly thankful that we have DSI in the market place.  Compare their releases over the past few years to those of other synth manufacturers, even the big guys (Roland, Korg, Yamaha).  No one has released the same breadth and depth of synthesizers as DSI.  No one.  Not even close.

That being said, I have an empty slot in my synth cabinet that I highly suspect will be filled by Dave’s next masterpiece.  I’m just curious what that will be.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #587 on: February 05, 2018, 03:35:16 PM »
Nah, I didn't mean to imply that you sounded unappreciative. And you're right. Compared to other major players, DSI released far more flagship type of synths over the past couple of years (basically nonstop since the Prophet 12) than anybody else.

This time it's maybe a special situation because they didn't appear at NAMM and no-one even has the slightest idea what the next move could be. There are the usual wishes and requests, but anything else appears to be more unpredictable than ever.

dslsynth

« Reply #588 on: February 05, 2018, 03:41:47 PM »
:-X . o O ( ... )
#!/bin/sh

LoboLives

« Reply #589 on: February 05, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
I think that I am going to hold off on getting anything else after my Two Voice....well maybe a REV2, until I see what Dave and the gang are up to...I’m tempted to get a Poly Evolver or even Nord Wave but then I run the risk of Dave coming out with a brand new Hybrid or digital synth.

As far as analog goes...I’m not sure they would wait this long for a simply mono...I have no idea what else they can come up with at this point...well multitimbrality but I don’t know if they would.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #590 on: February 05, 2018, 08:36:28 PM »
I think the word is "anticipation".  We're all excited and impatient to know what the big secret is, in the hope that the long wait will be worthwhile.  But please toss us a crumb or two to get us through.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #591 on: February 06, 2018, 01:30:31 AM »
We have already discussed this in the thread here, but after my experience yesterday evening I still would like to add my own two cents, sorry if I repeat stuff  :)

Last night I got really deep into mangling single cycle (600 samples at 44.1 kHz mono WAV format) wave forms on my Akai S5000. On the Akai it is possible to assign multiple sample WAVs to a program by grouping them together in keygroups. You can have 4 in total in one program. Each of those keygroups can have their own LFOs, filters, amp/filter envelopes and so on. It was kind of amazing how it allowed me, with two simple single cycle samples, to create an amazingly complex sound.

I would love to see this kind of functionality appear someplace in a DSI instrument. What the Akai is capable of, despite being a system designed in the previous century, I find amazing given the processor technology from that time period.

Sooner or later of course the S5000 will break down. Anyway I am interested in looking for something that can replace it, surpass it even. I don't even know if there are other manufacturers out there that produce similar functional hardware products. I am not interested in computer sampling - I am interested in an artistic / high tech instrument with it's own characteristics and quirks  ;)
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

LoboLives

« Reply #592 on: February 06, 2018, 09:47:51 AM »
Something similar to this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnwQUGTJ6iM

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #593 on: February 06, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »

Not sure, the S5000 has 64 notes polyphony (128 notes with added expansion), 8 outputs (4 stereo pairs, double that with added expansion), 2 LFOs per keygroup (you can have 4 keygroups per program and up to 64 programs in a multi ...), practically unlimited storage (good old SCSI/IDE disks or SCSI/IDE compact flash), 128MBytes of memory but can play samples directly from disk and so on.

But it is the sound sculpting, assigning multiple samples across the keyboard (assigned to MIDI notes) and combining of samples etc. that makes it interesting.

Bells and café noises from Akai: https://soundcloud.com/user-252754541/a-sign-of-a-limited-self-direct-recording-take1#t=0:15

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #594 on: February 06, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
The question is of course: will DSI want to, are they able to, produce a sampling product with Akai S5000 kind of capabilities?

LoboLives

« Reply #595 on: February 06, 2018, 11:44:46 AM »

Not sure, the S5000 has 64 notes polyphony (128 notes with added expansion), 8 outputs (4 stereo pairs, double that with added expansion), 2 LFOs per keygroup (you can have 4 keygroups per program and up to 64 programs in a multi ...), practically unlimited storage (good old SCSI/IDE disks or SCSI/IDE compact flash), 128MBytes of memory but can play samples directly from disk and so on.

But it is the sound sculpting, assigning multiple samples across the keyboard (assigned to MIDI notes) and combining of samples etc. that makes it interesting.

Bells and café noises from Akai: https://soundcloud.com/user-252754541/a-sign-of-a-limited-self-direct-recording-take1#t=0:15

I was more speaking of the fact of uploading samples and then running them through an analog synthesis engine. Although the Nord isn't analog it's unique in a sense where it's essentially not only a modern sampler but you can use those samples as waveforms and morph them and blend them together to create new tones.

Shaw

« Reply #596 on: February 06, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »
I was more speaking of the fact of uploading samples and then running them through an analog synthesis engine. Although the Nord isn't analog it's unique in a sense where it's essentially not only a modern sampler but you can use those samples as waveforms and morph them and blend them together to create new tones.
What do you mean by "sample morphing"?   I'm not sure the Nord Wave does what you think it does....

LoboLives

« Reply #597 on: February 06, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »
What do you mean by "sample morphing"?   I'm not sure the Nord Wave does what you think it does....

It allows you to sample your own sounds into the keyboard as waveforms and run them through the synthesis engine instead of playing static samples.

Shaw

« Reply #598 on: February 06, 2018, 08:09:33 PM »

It allows you to sample your own sounds into the keyboard as waveforms and run them through the synthesis engine instead of playing static samples.
Right. I thought you meant that it allowed you to “wave morph” between two samples which, unless I remember incorrectly, it doesn’t allow you to do.
The Nord Lead 3 is still among my favorite sounding VA synths.  And I love the architecture.  I should have kept mine....

LoboLives

« Reply #599 on: February 07, 2018, 06:17:42 AM »

Right. I thought you meant that it allowed you to “wave morph” between two samples which, unless I remember incorrectly, it doesn’t allow you to do.
The Nord Lead 3 is still among my favorite sounding VA synths.  And I love the architecture.  I should have kept mine....

I really do like Nord Synths...shame they are so focused on stage pianos/organs. I think they could be killing it in the digital synth department. Stuff like the Wave and G2 are so unique. Shame the Lead stuff is so expensive...especially since it's VA. Hard for me to justify it.