Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #540 on: November 22, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
Brings a tear to my eye. Would like to have a joy stick on that baby too as well as random patch selection like the OB6/Prophet 6 selection buttons...but in blue!

The P-6/OB-6 style buttons were actually in the original draft, but they didn't quite fit the overall aesthetics and would have taken away too much space. Oh, and a joystick was too.

There is a random patch generator button though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:01:30 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #541 on: November 22, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »
I kinda prefer the 2-dimensional touch pad (instead of a joystick)... especially if it is touch sensitive -- I suppose that would make it 3 dimensional.

You are correct in that assumption. It would basically be a pressure sensitive XY pad roughly the size of a ROLI lightpad. Pressure sensitivity because you could simultaneously control modulation amounts while moving around or morphing through the waveforms. For standard vector stick behaviour there would be the latch button.

In stereo mode one could also pan between left and right by moving the finger horizontally or between layered oscillators by moving vertically.

LoboLives

« Reply #542 on: November 22, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »
This would be my proposal for something VS-like.

Brings a tear to my eye. Would like to have a joy stick on that baby too as well as random patch selection like the OB6/Prophet 6 selection buttons...but in blue!
I kinda prefer the 2-dimensional touch pad (instead of a joystick)... especially if it is touch sensitive -- I suppose that would make it 3 dimensional.

Actually thinking about it now. Take the concept of the touch strip that was on the P12, Pro2 and Tempest and make an entire large pad with "Latch" options. That would be pretty damn cool.

LoboLives

« Reply #543 on: November 22, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »

You are correct in that assumption. It would basically be a pressure sensitive XY pad roughly the size of a ROLI lightpad. Pressure sensitivity because you could simultaneously control modulation amounts while moving around or morphing through the waveforms. For standard vector stick behaviour there would be the latch button.

In stereo mode one could also pan between left and right by moving the finger horizontally or between layered oscillators by moving vertically.

Sort of like Roger Linn's Linnstrument but built in a DSI synth! WOW!

LoboLives

« Reply #544 on: November 22, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »

The P-6/OB-6 style buttons were actually in the original draft, but it didn't quite fit the overall aesthetics and would have taken away too much space. Oh, and a joystick was too.

There is a random patch generator button though.

Yeah it seems like it's much more of a P12 type design...still...I wonder if there could be a way to combine the two designs so that the patch buttons are included. Perhaps take the OLED screen and move it to the side or a corner of the synth (sort of like the screen on the Tempest)

« Reply #545 on: November 22, 2017, 11:03:07 AM »
It looks pretty cool. Love the somewhat evolved blues!

Haha!

Shaw

« Reply #546 on: November 22, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »

Paul and Lobo... If either of you boys can solder, we can go into business!

Put that 3-dimensional pad in the mod matrix so it can control any 3 parameters (as opposed to always being a 4 waveform mixer).
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #547 on: November 22, 2017, 11:08:12 AM »

Haha! I can solder, but I'm not sure how quick I am at soldering SMD components.

Put that 3-dimensional pad in the mod matrix so it can control any 3 parameters (as opposed to always being a 4 waveform mixer).

That was the idea. To embed it in the mod matrix like the touch stripes of the Pro 2 for example.

LoboLives

« Reply #548 on: November 22, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »
I better leave this thread. I'd rather not set myself up for disappointment in January.

Shaw

« Reply #549 on: November 22, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
I better leave this thread. I'd rather not set myself up for disappointment in January.
Ha... I was thinking the same thing.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

dslsynth

« Reply #550 on: November 22, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »

As a front panel 3D controller: genius!

As for having a LinnStrument controller instead of a keyboard: far better with USB/MIDI hosting possibility so that any class compliant USB/MIDI device can be connected directly to the synth. Better convenience and lower latency than the standard 3 kb/sec slowspeed MIDI connection. Of cause MPE will have to be supported.

Better suggestion: stay and dream on. Later on: help start a company to realize that dream! ;)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

dslsynth

« Reply #551 on: November 22, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »

It can quite likely already be done on existing synths using a 3D controller such as KMI QuNeo and possibly a little mapping software between controller and synth. Voice would then have to handle the received controllers values. Of cause that feature is limited to what the voice can express.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #552 on: November 22, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
Actually thinking about it now. Take the concept of the touch strip that was on the P12, Pro2 and Tempest and make an entire large pad with "Latch" options. That would be pretty damn cool.

Do you mean like this?

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #553 on: November 22, 2017, 09:53:15 PM »

Deja Vu a different forum 2001.....

LoboLives

« Reply #554 on: November 24, 2017, 05:51:15 AM »
Just had someone on the GS forum remark that 2018 would be the 40th anniversary of the Prophet 5. Is that true?

« Reply #555 on: November 24, 2017, 06:44:21 AM »
Just had someone on the GS forum remark that 2018 would be the 40th anniversary of the Prophet 5. Is that true?

Work on the Prophet-5 started in April 1977 and the first and only prototype was presented at the NAMM show in January 1978. So yes, at the time of next Winter NAMM it'll be 40 years since the public first met the Prophet-5.

Don't forget that the Prophet-6 was already a reimagined Prophet-5, though, so I wouldn't expect anything that's closer to the Prophet-5 than the Prophet-6 already is.

Dave also mentioned at the last Moogfest that although the instrument they're currently working on carries the working title "Prophet something" (I guess the additional description would reveal what it's about), they're ideally shooting for a different name once it's ready to be announced.

So given these two points, I don't think that the 40th anniversary of the Prophet-5 is anything to go by. We'd rather see a successor to the Prophet 12 or something else.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:56:38 AM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #556 on: November 24, 2017, 08:14:26 AM »

Work on the Prophet-5 started in April 1977 and the first and only prototype was presented at the NAMM show in January 1978. So yes, at the time of next Winter NAMM it'll be 40 years since the public first met the Prophet-5.

Don't forget that the Prophet-6 was already a reimagined Prophet-5, though, so I wouldn't expect anything that's closer to the Prophet-5 than the Prophet-6 already is.

Dave also mentioned at the last Moogfest that although the instrument they're currently working on carries the working title "Prophet something" (I guess the additional description would reveal what it's about), they're ideally shooting for a different name once it's ready to be announced.

So given these two points, I don't think that the 40th anniversary of the Prophet-5 is anything to go by. We'd rather see a successor to the Prophet 12 or something else.

I'm still hoping for the Sequential Waves ;)

While a dual Prophet 6 would be cool I'd like to get those VS waves back

Shaw

« Reply #557 on: January 05, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
So with DSI not being present at NAMM, what do you guys think the odds are that they will still announce a new product at about the same time?  I mean, even though they won’t be at NAMM, they still need to be competitive... thoughts?

chysn

« Reply #558 on: January 05, 2018, 08:41:29 PM »
So with DSI not being present at NAMM, what do you guys think the odds are that they will still announce a new product at about the same time?  I mean, even though they won’t be at NAMM, they still need to be competitive... thoughts?

I'll put the odds at 5 to 2. They release at least one product a year (with the exception of 2003, which was right after the Evolver came out), and the Prophet 6 and OB6 were both announced in January. Since the Rev2 didn't involve a wholly new architecture, and the OB6 didn't involve a wholly new architecture, the clock for a wholly new architecture stands at three years (with the Prophet 6 in January 2015). I think something new is probably imminent.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #559 on: January 06, 2018, 03:28:07 AM »

My initial thought was that they might simply announce a new product later this year (spring, summer, or fall). So as of now I don't expect a new synth to be announced in roughly three weeks. The final version of the Tempest, the Mopho x4, and most of the desktop versions of their synths haven't been announced in time for NAMM either, so this would not be an entirely new phenomenon. Either way, we'll know more in three weeks, i.e. whether DSI just skip the upcoming NAMM show because they don't think NAMM is necessary for an announcement or because they are simply not ready yet.

Since the Rev2 didn't involve a wholly new architecture, and the OB6 didn't involve a wholly new architecture, the clock for a wholly new architecture stands at three years (with the Prophet 6 in January 2015). I think something new is probably imminent.

That's what I think too. And given that every synth since the announcement of the Prophet-6 happened to be analog, I rather expect a hybrid design this time around. Whether it'll be a follow-up to the Prophet 12 or an instrument that is meant to co-exist with the Prophet 12 remains to be seen. But that's roughly the direction I would assume.