Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #420 on: May 11, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »
Because we needed to keep costs down, random program access wasn't possible on the Rev2. Fortunately, you can save programs wherever you want directly from the front panel. It does take a little bit of forethought, but in just a few minutes it's easy enough place programs sequentially so you only have to increment or decrement once to get to the next program you need. You can move programs freely without worrying about overwriting any factory sounds since we have both user and factory banks.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

chysn

« Reply #421 on: May 11, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
Voice-activated preset selection would be a groundbreaking feature for a future synth. That way, there's no need for buttons, and no need to remove one's hands from the keyboard to change the sound. Another benefit is that the audience would be able to interactively affect the performance by spontaneously calling out preset names.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #422 on: May 11, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
Voice-activated preset selection would be a groundbreaking feature for a future synth. That way, there's no need for buttons, and no need to remove one's hands from the keyboard to change the sound. Another benefit is that the audience would be able to interactively affect the performance by spontaneously calling out preset names.

And after a few rounds of shots the synth blows up when everyone says a different patch name at the same time.

LoboLives

« Reply #423 on: May 11, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »
Because we needed to keep costs down, random program access wasn't possible on the Rev2. Fortunately, you can save programs wherever you want directly from the front panel. It does take a little bit of forethought, but in just a few minutes it's easy enough place programs sequentially so you only have to increment or decrement once to get to the next program you need. You can move programs freely without worrying about overwriting any factory sounds since we have both user and factory banks.

Yeah I can appreciate that. I can't tell from pictures but does the patch selector also have cursor buttons or is it only by a single scrolling knob?

LoboLives

« Reply #424 on: October 28, 2017, 12:58:45 PM »
Shall we resume this thread for the upcoming NAMM?

Shaw

« Reply #425 on: October 28, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
Shall we resume this thread for the upcoming NAMM?
Rev2 module.
We might have to resume this thread around Summer NAMM.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #426 on: October 28, 2017, 01:59:59 PM »
The Rev2 module is already out, so that's not the next new instrument. And Summer NAMM is basically a guitar show anyway.

« Reply #427 on: October 28, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
But the interview with Dave in Kim Bjørn's Push Turn Move contains a vague hint:

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #428 on: October 28, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »
"We are working on a product right now where we have moved things around quit a bit."

- Dave Smith

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew it!  Dave's describing a Poly Evolver Keyboard Mk II with the control panel in the front and the keyboard in the back.  I mean, what else could it be?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:45:23 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #429 on: October 28, 2017, 03:25:47 PM »
I knew it!  Dave's describing a Poly Evolver Keyboard Mk II with the control panel in the front and the keyboard in the back.

To be blinded by the blue light?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #430 on: October 28, 2017, 03:36:03 PM »
It's meant to give us pencil-headed synthesists a more intimidating image - those red and blue flashing lights right under our chins.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:46:00 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #431 on: October 28, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »
It's meant to give us pencil-headed synthesists a more intimidating image - blue and red flashing lights right under our chins.

The sunglasses edition.

Shaw

« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #433 on: October 28, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »
Where we have moved things around quite a bit. Hmm tough to say really.

I hope we see a hybrid but I don't see it happening.

I'd love to see Vector Synthesis brought back but I doubt that'll ever happen again.

I hope we see multitimbrality but I don't see that happening ever.

I'd also love to see the Sequential name on it...but doubtful that will happen.

I just hope it's not a mono synth or something ridiculous like a 20 voice polysynth that's monotimbral.

Shaw

« Reply #434 on: October 28, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
I’m sure someone has said this already, but I would love to see a new take on a hardware sampler.  Especially now that solid-state hard drives and decent sized screens are so reasonably priced.
  • 3 OSC (selectable sample PCM or P12 style OSCs or maybe User defined wavetables)
  • On screen sample editing and key mapping
  • 12 voice, bi-timbral
  • Generous mod matrix
  • 4 LFOs
  • 3 Envelopes
  • OB6 / P6 style effects section
  • 5 octave Keyboard
Call it the Prophet S12.
They couldn’t take my money fast enough.

LoboLives

« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »
I’m sure someone has said this already, but I would love to see a new take on a hardware sampler.  Especially now that solid-state hard drives and decent sized screens are so reasonably priced.
  • 3 OSC (selectable sample PCM or P12 style OSCs or maybe User defined wavetables)
  • On screen sample editing and key mapping
  • 12 voice, bi-timbral
  • Generous mod matrix
  • 4 LFOs
  • 3 Envelopes
  • OB6 / P6 style effects section
  • 5 octave Keyboard
Call it the Prophet S12.
They couldn’t take my money fast enough.

I agree a new keyboard sampler would be fantastic but I think I see something like that coming from their Pioneer/DSI collaborations.

Screw this bi timbral stuff for a sampler it should be multitimbral because I want a 10 track sequencer on board.

I also think they should maybe get rid of the Prophet name for this one and call it the Sequential Mimic or Sequential Imitation.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:24:44 PM by LoboLives »

« Reply #436 on: October 29, 2017, 04:28:59 AM »
Things that can be assumed about the next DSI synth, mostly by means of exclusion:

- rearranged interface/layout, which might indicate a different voice architecture or signal flow
- it will neither be white nor feature any faders (Dave emphasized his discontent with both in the Push Turn Move interview)
- it won't be an Evolver MKII if we take Robot Heart at his word
- it'll probably not be multitimbral
- it might not be called "Prophet" (if they find a better name) as Dave indicated at Moogfest, which can - again - signal a different voice architecture
- it won't be entirely digital
- it'll have a keyboard

LoboLives

« Reply #437 on: November 05, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
Things that can be assumed about the next DSI synth, mostly by means of exclusion:

- rearranged interface/layout, which might indicate a different voice architecture or signal flow
- it will neither be white nor feature any faders (Dave emphasized his discontent with both in the Push Turn Move interview)
- it won't be an Evolver MKII if we take Robot Heart at his word
- it'll probably not be multitimbral
- it might not be called "Prophet" (if they find a better name) as Dave indicated at Moogfest, which can - again - signal a different voice architecture
- it won't be entirely digital
- it'll have a keyboard

I wonder if we will see an analog vocoder or analog guitar synth machine. It may not even be keyboard related...I doubt that’ll be the case but it still would be interesting to see.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #438 on: November 05, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
One thing is certain... DSI needs to do something new next time because they have a new powerful analog synth now (REV2)... they have a powerful hybrid too (P12)... they have two boutique 6voice analogs too, and even a monosynth hybrid... as Dave is only doing BIG synths now (leaving the small ones for Pioneer obviously), he will need to come out with something different or things will start to overlap too much.

One of the most obvious routes and stuff he's missing on the inventory is something that utilize sampling technology in one way or another.... I've seen MANY people in here, come with "+1" when this has been talked about earlier, and I'm sure he's lurking us over the shoulders, if not by his employees if he's too messed up in the cellar "stirring the cauldron" for us all.

My intuition tells me we WILL se such a thing at some point... it is also a niche instrument that has no counterpart on the modern market.... a sampler synth with analog filters... there is no question it will be well received.

There could be other stuff too of course, but a sampling synthesizer made for performance would definitely hold it's own in DSI's range of devices... I certainly hope we will see one at some point.

And I would not be surprised if it is a modern version of his earlier Wavestation which was both popular, but also did crazy things with samples in it's time... it would definitely be the perfect name for a sampling synth, and with Dave's favoring of his earlier synths names, it would be plausible.... but only time will tell :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:14:43 PM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #439 on: November 05, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
One thing is certain... DSI needs to do something new next time because they have a new powerful analog synth now (REV2)... they have a powerful hybrid too (P12)... they have two boutique 6voice analogs too, and even a monosynth hybrid... as Dave is only doing BIG synths now (leaving the small ones for Pioneer obviously), he will need to come out with something different or things will start to overlap too much.

One of the most obvious routes and stuff he's missing on the inventory is something that utilize sampling technology in one way or another.... I've seen MANY people in here, come with "+1" when this has been talked about earlier, and I'm sure he's lurking us over the shoulders, if not by his employees if he's too messed up in the cellar "stirring the cauldron" for us all.

My intuition tells me we WILL se such a thing at some point... it is also a niche instrument that has no counterpart on the modern market.... a sampler synth with analog filters... there is no question it will be well received.

There could be other stuff too of course, but a sampling synthesizer made for performance would definitely hold it's own in DSI's range of devices... I certainly hope we will see one at some point.

And I would not be surprised if it is a modern version of his earlier Wavestation which was both popular, but also did crazy things with samples in it's time... it would definitely be the perfect name for a sampling synth, and with Dave's favoring of his earlier synths names, it would be plausible.... but only time will tell :)

I hate to say it but I think this Namm is going to sort of be crucial for DSI..especially with Korg releasing a new full sized polyphonic analog and maybe even some other people will as well...they need to do something out of left field and totally fresh..be it a new Evolver (hybrid with both Vector Synthesis and Sampling abilities), a multitimbral analog or a purely digital synth or sampling synth with analog oscillators.

Or it’ll be massively disappointing, uninspiring and redundant like an analog monophonic or something.