Next New Sequential Instrument

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #320 on: January 18, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »
Too bad.  I'd be thrilled to see a DSI multi-effects unit in that sort of configuration.

Well, we all know by now that something bigger is going to be announced. So if anything like an effect box would be released, it would have to happen later this year. Plus: We also know that the goal of developing cheaper products is basically a thing of the past now.

Yes, but maybe DSI will announce at NAMM the smaller product to be released later this year.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #321 on: January 18, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
And thanks for showing your setup. To me it looks like the perfect solution is to consider the pedal board an alternate controller being connected to a synthesizer module just like you do it now. In other words: a pedal board synthesizer would be too much integration compared to the multi-use advantage of ordinary modules. Not at least because of the cost and complexity of finding the right pedal board to integrate into it.

Again, I don't think inventiveness is needed here.  It's a simple matter; take a pedalboard of whatever size and use it to control your favorite synthesizer module.  Both exist.  There are several one-octave pedalboards already available from various companies, and larger sizes as well.  Modules are everywhere.  It's only a matter of planting the idea and synthesists realizing what a golden opportunity it is.  Fuseball has taken up the challenge.  I hope others try it as well.

I mean, I'm only hoping to collect royalties for the idea, that's all.  ;D

dslsynth

« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:59 AM »
The image posted by Paul Dither earlier today is now officially on their social media:
https://twitter.com/dsiSequential/status/821779664612032520

(together with a little uncontrollable fanboyism)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
In other words: a pedal board synthesizer would be too much integration compared to the multi-use advantage of ordinary modules. Not at least because of the cost and complexity of finding the right pedal board to integrate into it.

With all due respect I might add that the need for pedal keys is also extremely small if you take it outside the organ world, as there are not that many synthesizer players who perform within an organ setup. Of all rather classic synth performers only Wendy Carlos' studio setup comes to my mind. So I think with the most prominent offers by Nord and Hammond, this highly specialized market is already well-covered - also for synth users. And MIDI pedal keys also offer far more flexibility than pedal keys with an integrated synth engine would, since they allow you to control whatever you like with them.

dslsynth

« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
Again, I don't think inventiveness is needed here.  It's a simple matter; take a pedalboard of whatever size and use it to control your favorite synthesizer module.  Both exist.  There are several one-octave pedalboards already available from various companies, and larger sizes as well.

And yet the best ones are way too expensive and way too heavy according to your earlier posts. So there are a need for new pedal board controllers. But of cause that is a minor point.

Fingers crossed for your royalties plot! ;)

With all due respect I might add that the need for pedal keys is also extremely small if you take it outside the organ world, as there are not that many synthesizer players who perform within an organ setup.

Yeah its a speciality product. And yet there are room for expanding the market once synthesizer players realize there are a potential in their use. I have placed pedal boards in the alternate controller world even though its a very old innovation.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »
In other words: a pedal board synthesizer would be too much integration compared to the multi-use advantage of ordinary modules. Not at least because of the cost and complexity of finding the right pedal board to integrate into it.

With all due respect I might add that the need for pedal keys is also extremely small if you take it outside the organ world, as there are not that many synthesizer players who perform within an organ setup. Of all rather classic synth performers only Wendy Carlos' studio setup comes to my mind. So I think with the most prominent offers by Nord and Hammond, this highly specialized market is already well-covered - also for synth users. And MIDI pedal keys also offer far more flexibility than pedal keys with an integrated synth engine would, since they allow you to control whatever you like with them.

My point is, that's the problem - it's still specialized.  There's no need for this, as if it's only for trained organists to use pedalboards. Consider typical electronica/ambient: it most often uses long lumbering sustained bass notes.  It would take minimal skill to play these on a one-octave pedalboard, not much more than it takes to adapt to mini keys.

There's no reason for this idea not to take off, except that it's new and hasn't been seriously considered.  Synthesists are very much into new things and experimentation.  Well, here's something new and worth trying.  You guys are fascinated by new devices for triggering synthesizers.  Well, here's another device.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:31:50 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
Still no idea why Moog discontinued the Tarus Pedals. They should bring them back out again.

« Reply #327 on: January 18, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »
Still no idea why Moog discontinued the Tarus Pedals. They should bring them back out again.

If I remember correctly, they were a commercial disaster. So they just released its engine separately: the Minitaur.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #328 on: January 18, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »
And yet the best ones are way too expensive and way too heavy according to your earlier posts. So there are a need for new pedal board controllers. But of cause that is a minor point.

And as we all know, synthesists just hate buying lots of expensive equipment....

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #329 on: January 18, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »

If I remember correctly, they were a commercial disaster. So they just released its engine separately: the Minitaur.

The problem with the Moog Taurus pedals (and I owned the original set years ago) was that they were seemingly designed for free-standing guitarists who could easily bend over and program them.  A keyboardist performs in a totally different physical arrangement.  The controls need to be a separate module from the pedals, and the synthesist needs to be seated at a bench over the instrument so that both feet are free to play pedal lines.  If the pedals are played while standing, then only one foot can play them at a time, which restricts the playing immensely and limits the performer primarily to long slow notes.  Nor can they play more than one note at a time.  When I was spending more time composing organ music, I found it tremendously powerful to end a piece by adding in the pedals the fifth to the root.  I can't presently do that on my monophonic pedal configuration, but I intend to in the future.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:58:33 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #330 on: January 18, 2017, 10:55:57 AM »
I honestly wonder if we'll ever see something like the Alesis Andromeda again. It's always been one I've been interested in but I think it was a bit ahead of it's time and came out way before the analog resurgence. I think if a company developed something similar now it would be more than well received. It's insanely powerful.

LoboLives

« Reply #331 on: January 18, 2017, 10:58:55 AM »

The problem with the Moog Taurus pedals (and I owned the original set years ago) was that they were seemingly designed for free-standing guitarists who could easily bend over and program them.  A keyboardist performs in a totally different physical arrangement.  The controls need to be a separate module from the pedals, and the synthesist needs to be seated at a bench over the instrument so that both feet are free to play pedal lines.  If the pedals are played while standing, then only one foot can play them at a time, which restricts the playing immensely and limits the performer primarily to long slow notes.  Nor can they play more than one note at a time.  When I was spending more time composing organ music, I found it tremendously powerful to end a piece by adding in the pedals the fifth to the root.  I can't presently do that on my monophonic pedal configuration.

OR if you don't care anymore, you could just smash them with your fists dramatically like Mo Foster.

dslsynth

« Reply #332 on: January 18, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
When I was spending more time composing organ music, I found it tremendously powerful to end a piece by adding in the pedals the fifth to the root.  I can't presently do that on my monophonic pedal configuration, but I intend to in the future.

Sounds like a larger mixer and finding a used Evolver Desktop.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #333 on: January 18, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
You're right in both cases.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #334 on: January 18, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »
I honestly wonder if we'll ever see something like the Alesis Andromeda again. It's always been one I've been interested in but I think it was a bit ahead of it's time and came out way before the analog resurgence. I think if a company developed something similar now it would be more than well received. It's insanely powerful.

I was a great admirer of the Andromeda and came close to buying one.  In the end, I chose not to, due to the instrument's bugs and the famously poor support offered by Alesis.  But I still have a dream of finding a similar instrument.

Shaw

« Reply #335 on: January 18, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
I was a great admirer of the Andromeda and came close to buying one.  In the end, I chose not to, due to the instrument's bugs and the famously poor support offered by Alesis.  But I still have a dream of finding a similar instrument.

+ 1
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #336 on: January 18, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »

That instrument most closely resembles a Prophet-6.  The more Prophets the merrier!

« Reply #337 on: January 18, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
That instrument most closely resembles a Prophet-6.  The more Prophets the merrier!

How can you tell?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #338 on: January 18, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »
I'm not saying it is a Prophet-6, but only that it resembles it.  Only the P-6 has that amount of blank black control panel just above the keyboard.  All the other instruments have controls or panel designs just above the keyboard.

So far, I absolutely love the new synthesizer.  :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:52:11 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #339 on: January 18, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
Yeah, that's true. Although the space at the bottom of the front panel seems to be a bit wider on this one. But then, we don't know what's underneath the NAMM banner. It's also hard to tell whether the color is actually black or anthracite (like on the most recent offerings with the exception of the OB-6).