Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #300 on: January 18, 2017, 07:49:14 AM »
What does the C#m7 chord tell us?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #301 on: January 18, 2017, 07:52:13 AM »
Funny, I thought that was the first inversion of an A Major.  Unless the left pincky is on an F#

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #302 on: January 18, 2017, 07:54:16 AM »
By the way, Paul, where did you find that photograph?  I didn't see it on DSI's social media sites.

« Reply #303 on: January 18, 2017, 08:00:19 AM »
Funny, I thought that was the first inversion of an A Major.  Unless the left pincky is on an F#

Hm, I think neither the lower F# and the A keys are pressed down here, but the first inversion of A Major might have been played before or after, which might possibly lead to further conclusions…  :o ::)

I assume, we're going to see the video this was taken from tomorrow.

« Reply #304 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:00 AM »
By the way, Paul, where did you find that photograph?  I didn't see it on DSI's social media sites.

Oh sh*t, I forgot about the NDA!! - No, seriously, it appeared on my Facebook timeline this morning and it was posted by Mark Wilcox.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #305 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:17 AM »
DSI's Instagram has a photograph of two lads sitting with four tall drinks and four shot glasses.  Hmmm, a bi-timbral eight-voice?  ;D

« Reply #306 on: January 18, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
DSI's Instagram has a photograph of two lads sitting with four tall drinks and four shot glasses.  Hmmm, a bi-timbral eight-voice?  ;D

No, just having a jolly good time.

« Reply #307 on: January 18, 2017, 08:13:13 AM »

… or can you identify the new synth from the shot glasses?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #308 on: January 18, 2017, 08:41:12 AM »

… or can you identify the new synth from the shot glasses?

Oh yes.  Wait...I think I see a reflection.  Oh, it's only an exit sign.

dslsynth

« Reply #309 on: January 18, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »
Now when will DSI produce a pedalboard synthesizer?  Oh, come on now, I'm trying to start a revolution in the synthesizer world.  Free up your left hands!  A pedalboard in every rig!

Would you really like to sit on the floor while adjusting parameters on a pedal board synthesizer? Seriously?

My suggestion is instead to use a module and then hope for someone like Keith McMillen to make a (possibly modular) pedal board controller that features full sized pedals and is light weight too. The question however is how many more dimensions of control a pedal board controller would benefit from. Could you see yourself use 3D control in form of pressure, position and tilt for each key independently on a pedal board synthesizer?

Which nicely rounds up to being a question of the MIDI expressiveness features in DSI modules.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

dslsynth

« Reply #310 on: January 18, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »

Looks more like a synthesizer with four analog and four digital voices! ;)

Mentioned photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPY4BbYj5hv/

PS: Is that Chris to the left?
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #311 on: January 18, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »

Looks more like a synthesizer with four analog and four digital voices! ;)

Mentioned photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPY4BbYj5hv/

PS: Is that Chris to the left?

What's analog, what's digital? The distillery or the brewery?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #312 on: January 18, 2017, 08:58:11 AM »
Now when will DSI produce a pedalboard synthesizer?  Oh, come on now, I'm trying to start a revolution in the synthesizer world.  Free up your left hands!  A pedalboard in every rig!

Would you really like to sit on the floor while adjusting parameters on a pedal board synthesizer? Seriously?

My suggestion is instead to use a module and then hope for someone like Keith McMillen to make a (possibly modular) pedal board controller that features full sized pedals and is light weight too. The question however is how many more dimensions of control a pedal board controller would benefit from. Could you see yourself use 3D control in form of pressure, position and tilt for each key independently on a pedal board synthesizer?

Which nicely rounds up to being a question of the MIDI expressiveness features in DSI modules.

I realize this statement may be outrageous on a synthesizer forum, but the pedalboard doesn't need to be re-invented.  It only needs to be available in different sizes.  Velocity, aftertouch, and so on?  Whatever.  A pedalboard can do so much as a simple on/off trigger.  In addition, it doesn't have to be used exclusively for bass.  The organ literature often uses it to play melodies.  I suppose a synthesist could also use it for effects and percussion.  Its strength and uniqueness, though, is in its ability to provide a strong bass and to free up one's left hand for playing additional parts.

As for your first question - who's sitting on the floor?  I'm sitting on an organ bench with the sound source for my pedalboard - an Evolver Desktop - placed on a music stand at my eye level.  It has to be at that level, because I'm often changing it while performing.  These issues are worked out quite easily.

An additional feature could be to provide some form of foot triggers for changing programs.  Pipe organs have toe pistons.  One press of a piston with your foot and the registration for the entire organ is instantly changed.  Imagine the power if this were adapted for the synthesizer.  Hammond has done this somewhat, but poorly in my opinion.

The synthesizer pedalboard is the greatest invention still waiting to be added to the synthesist's set up.  Believe me, it would transform the medium in a short period of time.  And then synthesists would ask, "How did we ever manage without it?"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:38:35 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2017, 09:07:44 AM »
The ongoing struggle between marriage and multi-timbrality?

Exactly! Wonder how the corresponding octaver related product would be? Perhaps a new family of behavior shifting algorithms?
#!/bin/sh

LoboLives

« Reply #314 on: January 18, 2017, 09:36:24 AM »
I just saw an advertisement on a Japanese page for a new module posted on the Gear Slutz forum.  I'm not sure if there's any legitimacy for it.

« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »
Well, it's just a Stereoping Synth Controller on top of a Prophet VS, not really related to any NAMM news.

http://www.stereoping.com/synth-controller-pagesections/?lang=en

LoboLives

« Reply #316 on: January 18, 2017, 09:48:05 AM »
Yeah I was confused by it as well. I didn't think DSI would bring something like that out without bringing out a keyboard version first.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2017, 09:51:52 AM »
Too bad.  I'd be thrilled to see a DSI multi-effects unit in that sort of configuration.

« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2017, 09:58:08 AM »
Too bad.  I'd be thrilled to see a DSI multi-effects unit in that sort of configuration.

Well, we all know by now that something bigger is going to be announced. So if anything like an effect box would be released, it would have to happen later this year. Plus: We also know that the goal of developing cheaper products is basically a thing of the past now.

dslsynth

« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »
I realize this statement may be outrageous on a synthesizer forum, but the pedalboard doesn't need to be re-invented.  It only needs to be available in different sizes.  Velocity, aftertouch, and so on?  Whatever.  A pedalboard can do so much as a simple on/off trigger.  In addition, it doesn't have to be used exclusively for bass.  The organ literature often uses it to play melodies.  The synthesist could also use it for effects and percussion.

As for your first question - who's sitting on the floor?  I'm sitting on an organ bench with the sound source for my pedalboard - an Evolver Desktop - placed on a music stand at my eye level.  It has to be at that level, because I'm often changing it while performing.  These things are worked out quite easily. 

The synthesizer pedalboard is the greatest invention still waiting to be added to the synthesist's set up.  Believe me, it would transform the medium in a short period of time.  And then synthesists would ask, "How did we ever manage without it?"

No questioning of the need for pedal boards for synthesizer players wanting it.

To me it looks like what is needed are more affordable lighter weight pedal board controllers. I think it would be very cool if a company like KMI did a new take on pedal boards. They are already developing a folding version of their new full sized keyboard controller and that would be perfect for pedal boards. Or perhaps a company making carbon fiber products could team up with an existing manufacturer of pedal boards to make a lighter weight solution.

And thanks for showing your setup. To me it looks like the perfect solution is to consider the pedal board an alternate controller being connected to a synthesizer module just like you do it now. In other words: a pedal board synthesizer would be too much integration compared to the multi-use advantage of ordinary modules. Not at least because of the cost and complexity of finding the right pedal board to integrate into it.
#!/bin/sh