Next New Sequential Instrument

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
But there may be several things on the way, Chysn, so don't give up.

chysn

« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
But there may be several things on the way, Chysn, so don't give up.

Oh, I'll be excited about whatever. I don't expect to see The Synth Jason Would Make because it's both too close to something they already have and too radically different from anything there's ever been.

I'd like to see the Sequential brand name taken for a spin again, because I love the look of the Prophet 6.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2017, 07:12:38 PM »
I'd like to see the Sequential brand name taken for a spin again, because I love the look of the Prophet 6.

Ditto, if they would only push the Sequential architecture a little further.

If I remember correctly, you came close to buying a Prophet-6 Keyboard, but then you decided to go modular instead.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:14:41 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »
It's obviously going to be a 360 degree keyboard.

« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2017, 02:59:46 AM »
It's obviously going to be a 360 degree keyboard.

Haha! So the next thing is going to be a laser harp.

chysn

« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2017, 06:29:21 AM »
Ditto, if they would only push the Sequential architecture a little further.

If I remember correctly, you came close to buying a Prophet-6 Keyboard, but then you decided to go modular instead.

Yeah, and modular sort of took me by surprise. Things that I once considered essential, I don't care about anymore. PWM, ASDR envelopes, LFOs, filters. What's a synthesizer without these things? But now that I find myself on the verge of going full-Buchla, I'm not sure how that squares with looking for a keyboard synthesizer, or even keeping the one I have.

For the price (and ongoing investments) of my modular, I could have had a Minimoog or a Prophet 6. I sort of wipe my brow with relief that I didn't get a Minimoog, but I don't feel that way about the Prophet 6. It would have been an equally satisfying path, but way different.

I would seriously consider a Sequential monosynth with good CV support, even if it means scaling down the modular and building another case. But I think that the Pro 2 is that synth right now, and it's hard to beat. For the record, I don't consider its CV support sufficient (please see the Oberheim TVP for one operational definition of "sufficient"). And everyone's right; it's time for a new five-octave replacement for the Prophet 08.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2017, 04:01:36 AM »
I always thought the Sequential name was with Yamaha, not Roland? I swear I heard Dave mention he got it back from Yamaha in an interview.

In any case I thought Dave said he wouldn't be interested in collaborations anymore after the OB6. Perhaps he changed his mind? I remember him saying he'd never make a synth again with VCOs but he eventually did so perhaps he's more interested in expanding DSI's horizons.

As far as the suggestions go
John Bowen and Dave Smith collaborating would be neat. With the digital aspect of the Solaris perhaps we'll indeed see a Prophet VS type synth which would be more than welcomed. It certainly needs to be multi-timbral if that's the case. The downfall of the Solaris is you can't play more than one patch at a time which at that price point and as deep as that synth is a bit silly.

As far as a DSI/Roland collaboration....Jupiter 10? An 10 voice, VCO analog synth with splits and layers possibilities? Yes please.

« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2017, 04:13:37 AM »
I always thought the Sequential name was with Yamaha, not Roland? I swear I heard Dave mention he got it back from Yamaha in an interview.

In any case I thought Dave said he wouldn't be interested in collaborations anymore after the OB6. Perhaps he changed his mind? I remember him saying he'd never make a synth again with VCOs but he eventually did so perhaps he's more interested in expanding DSI's horizons.

John Bowen and Dave Smith collaborating would be neat. With the digital aspect of the Solaris perhaps we'll indeed see a Prophet VS type synth which would be more than welcomed. It certainly needs to be multi-timbral if that's the case. The downfall of the Solaris is you can't play more than one patch at a time which at that price point and as deep as that synth is a bit silly.

As far as a DSI/Roland collaboration....Jupiter 10? An 10 voice, VCO analog synth with splits and layers possibilities? Yes please.

Roland has already collaborated with Malekko on the Roland-branded System-500, so they're likely not averse to the idea....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #268 on: January 14, 2017, 04:41:50 AM »

That's correct. However, it was Roland's founder Ikutaro Kakehashi who kindly asked Yamaha to give the rights back to Dave.

I'd assume the latter as well. With DSI focussing less on covering the whole market from low cost instruments (like the Mopho, Evolver desktop, or the Tetra) to more expensive ones, I guess that there are going to be more kind of "flagship" synths, which would have to result in more variety.

As far as collaborations go, Dave Rossum would be a good candidate as well - and rather more compelling if I may say so. Not so sure about Roland, as they seem to be happy with their ACB technology and plug-out platform. A true analog instrument might only undermine that approach. I also assume that we won't see more instruments like the Prophet-6 and the OB-6 as far as re-imagined classics go. Mainly because I think that DSI can truly shine with more innovative (not meant in a judgemental sense here) approaches in the current market situation – along the lines of: Let others dwell in the past, we will show the rest that we can still push boundaries.

LoboLives

« Reply #269 on: January 14, 2017, 04:56:24 AM »

Roland has already collaborated with Malekko on the Roland-branded System-500, so they're likely not averse to the idea....

They've already touched on the analog realm with the JDXA. So I don't think it would be too far of a stretch.

eXode

« Reply #270 on: January 14, 2017, 05:06:38 AM »
For what it's worth, Ikutaro Kakehashi retired from Roland in 2013 and went on to create ATV.

Shaw

« Reply #271 on: January 14, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »
They've already touched on the analog realm with the JDXA. So I don't think it would be too far of a stretch.
... and that was the dud of the decade.  Terrible layout with all the menu diving via only two buttons:   [<] & [>]
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2017, 07:10:44 AM »
... and that was the dud of the decade.  Terrible layout with all the menu diving via only two buttons:   [<] & [>]

I hear ya. Lots of flaws with that one. Great concept though combining real analog sound with sample/digital based sounds just wish they thought things through. Roland's new layout on their synths (Red on black) is mind bogglingly stupid. Even in direct sunlight I'm struggling to read my FA-08's panel. The JDXA can get some incredible sounds but it just takes longer than it should to get them. I found I spent more time menu diving and trying to set the thing up rather than playing it. I'm all for programming but it just seemed like it was the wrong layout for the right engine.

« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »

I hear ya. Lots of flaws with that one. Great concept though combining real analog sound with sample/digital based sounds just wish they thought things through. Roland's new layout on their synths (Red on black) is mind bogglingly stupid. Even in direct sunlight I'm struggling to read my FA-08's panel. The JDXA can get some incredible sounds but it just takes longer than it should to get them. I found I spent more time menu diving and trying to set the thing up rather than playing it. I'm all for programming but it just seemed like it was the wrong layout for the right engine.

I think the JD-XA would have really benefitted from a better interface design. As it is, it's really a bit counter-intuitive. Another aspect that's annoying about recent Roland offerings is the obvious cost cutting philosophy. Their keyboards feel really bad and on the System-8 you don't even get Aftertouch. This video by Markus Fuller (far OT, I know) is really revealing in that regard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4tVgLlwekk

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »

Weren't both Yamaha and Roland involved?  Someone called someone, and the end result was that Dave was given back the Sequential name.  The information is in the NAMM videos introducing the Prophet-6.

« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2017, 02:35:18 PM »

Weren't both Yamaha and Roland involved?  Someone called someone, and the end result was that Dave was given back the Sequential name.  The information is in the NAMM videos introducing the Prophet-6.

Like I said, it was Roland's founder Ikutaro Kakehashi who kindly asked Yamaha to give the rights back to Dave. Kakehashi moved on from Roland though to found the ATV corporation in 2014. Or to quote from the Prophet-6 manual:

Event two transpired when, unknown to me, my old friend and collaborator in the creation of MIDI, Ikutaro Kakehashi, founder of Roland, asked Yamaha Corporation to consider returning ownership of my original company brand, Sequential Circuits, to me. (Yamaha had purchased Sequential’s assets when we closed shop back in 1987.) Yamaha generously agreed and suddenly Sequential was back — almost. All we needed was an awesome new product to bear the name.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:37:03 PM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2017, 02:58:12 AM »

Like I said, it was Roland's founder Ikutaro Kakehashi who kindly asked Yamaha to give the rights back to Dave. Kakehashi moved on from Roland though to found the ATV corporation in 2014. Or to quote from the Prophet-6 manual:

Event two transpired when, unknown to me, my old friend and collaborator in the creation of MIDI, Ikutaro Kakehashi, founder of Roland, asked Yamaha Corporation to consider returning ownership of my original company brand, Sequential Circuits, to me. (Yamaha had purchased Sequential’s assets when we closed shop back in 1987.) Yamaha generously agreed and suddenly Sequential was back — almost. All we needed was an awesome new product to bear the name.

Wonder why he only had the name Sequential and not Sequential Circuits on the Prophet 6.

« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2017, 03:40:45 AM »
Wonder why he only had the name Sequential and not Sequential Circuits on the Prophet 6.

From 1985 on Sequential Circuits Inc. abbreviated their name to Sequential, simply because it's shorter and easier to use. The shortened name was printed on products like the MAX, TOM, Multitrak, Split-Eight/Pro 8, Prophet 2000/2002, Prophet VS, Studio 440, and the Prophet 3000. So the reason is pretty banal really. By picking up the shortened version of the name for the Prophet-6, they also indicated continuity rather than just harking back. So using the name as it was actually used the last time around sort of resembles taking up where one left off.

blewis

« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2017, 05:51:57 AM »
Man they run a pretty tight ship eh?  Zero leaks.

LoboLives

« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2017, 05:52:10 AM »

From 1985 on Sequential Circuits Inc. abbreviated their name to Sequential, simply because it's shorter and easier to use. The shortened name was printed on products like the MAX, TOM, Multitrak, Split-Eight/Pro 8, Prophet 2000/2002, Prophet VS, Studio 440, and the Prophet 3000. So the reason is pretty banal really. By picking up the shortened version of the name for the Prophet-6, they also indicated continuity rather than just harking back. So using the name as it was actually used the last time around sort of resembles taking up where one left off.

Makes sense. Thanks. :)