Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
I think that the Korg Monologue (and to some extent the Minibrute) has some interesting concepts with regards to the wave shaping VCO. It would be quite cool if DSI adopted something similar for a new VCO instrument. I.e. set choices between triangle, sawtooth, and pulse, but with different shape (PW on pulse) options on each wave, and then a new switchable 2/4 pole filter with LP/BP/HP modes. This instrument could very well follow the traditional 6 voice formula for most of the part. A minimum of 2 LFO's would be great though. :)

It would have been better had Korg provided the ability to disable PWM on either oscillator of the *logue voice; as such, when modulating PW on VCO2 as pulse, the waveshape is modulated on VCO1 as saw. And I do agree that one LFO is rather limiting for modulations, without the ability to throw the second (or third!) oscillator into a keyboard-tracked/-untracked low frequency mode.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:39:18 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2016, 05:23:15 PM »
I would very much like to have a Pro2 in the Tempest form factor. Reason being is that I under use my Pro2 as a glorified 303 so a Pro2 module would be the perfect solution for me and free up my 2 for leads. The strength in my performances is working the Pro2 sequencer and the Tempest together in a way that isn't possible on the Tempest alone.

Imagine paraphonic patches that allow you to play/arpeggiate "16 Tunings" along side "16 Sequences" of "16 Root Notes"...with a roll function and song mode.

This would be a dynamically different instrument and not just a regurgitated keyboardless version that still requires external gear to play. You could say that the Pro2 is programming based and the Pro2 desktop is rhythm based. Better to own both. With dedicated shortcut buttons for the delay, oscillators, LFO, envelope, etc...it would not be that much of a chore to design sounds on either.

The Pro2 and Tempest are a dope combo. A hybrid of them is something that you could get extremely busy with and would be sexy as hell.

Red LED's please.

« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2016, 03:03:18 AM »
I would like to see another handshake between Dave Smith and John Chowning.
A pure fully fledged FM synth with knobs. Prophet FM?

How?:
All the controls for a single operator is covered on the panel, and select-buttons to toggle between each operator to edit.
The rest of the panel would cover the algorithm section (of some sort), pitch envelope, patch selection and effects.

Additional features: LED rings and button back light.

This have never existed, I would love if Dave Smith could be the first to pull this off.
A signature edition, with signature of Chowning would be awesome.

« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2016, 06:28:53 AM »

How?:
All the controls for a single operator is covered on the panel, and select-buttons to toggle between each operator to edit.
The rest of the panel would cover the algorithm section (of some sort), pitch envelope, patch selection and effects.

This have never existed, I would love if Dave Smith could be the first to pull this off.
The pitch / amp envelope display itself would be a huge improvement.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2016, 06:42:00 AM »

How?:

The pitch / amp envelope display itself would be a huge improvement.

It would help. Though a common display for patch browsing and editing would work as well.
Maybe just an edit button to give you parameter overview for the selected operator.

« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2017, 04:44:12 AM »
Surprised that no one reacted to DSI's season's greetings (https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/2016/12/happy-holidays-dsi/). Probably the last hint about what's coming soon:

In fact, at this very moment we’re hard at work on some interesting new things for 2017 and beyond. In mid-January you’ll get to see the first of these.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »
Some interesting new things.  I like the plural here.  I wonder if effects might be in the new bundle, or perhaps another DSM module?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:08:43 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2017, 08:15:19 AM »
Some interesting new things.  I like the plural here.  I wonder if effects might be in the new bundle, or perhaps another DSM module?

As it has been confirmed already, the Eurorack modules are more or less a kind of "hobby project" for DSI. Hence, I don't believe they're necessarily part of this.

Nevertheless, we have this:
1) "some interesting new things" = definitely more than just one instrument
2) "for 2017 and beyond" = longterm plan
3) "the first of these" = might hint at something that is planned as a series, which in turn would correspond with 1) and 2)

Now, it’s still in the open whether that series (if it is indeed one) is being conceptualized as a sum of its complementary parts (= modular concept without being Eurorack), or as a new engine that is going to appear in different shapes and forms.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »
I would say, an instrument plus a series of something or other.

dslsynth

« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
Surprised that no one reacted to DSI's season's greetings

I didn't really notice until you posted it here. Anyway, its a well known problem:
https://youtu.be/Nf_Y4MbUCLY?t=33s

Same thing with DSI and gearmas: one never knows what they do and how many right turns was involved. So personally I will just wait to see what they came up with this time around.

Anyone else noticed any changes in the party picture on social media?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:43:23 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

dslsynth

« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
As it has been confirmed already, the Eurorack modules are more or less a kind of "hobby project" for DSI.

And since a product is a product is a product and all takes a lot of time to develop one could hope for DSI taking their time to make an interesting smaller voice count module using their newer developed ingredients.

Not that I expect it to happen though!
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2017, 06:09:49 AM »
Surprised that no one reacted to DSI's season's greetings (https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/2016/12/happy-holidays-dsi/). Probably the last hint about what's coming soon:

In fact, at this very moment we’re hard at work on some interesting new things for 2017 and beyond. In mid-January you’ll get to see the first of these.

Well spotted. This, combined with the job posting, leads me to believe that they're looking to move into something completely different (than keyboard synthesizers) within the MI / professional audio space....

chysn

« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »
Nevertheless, we have this:
1) "some interesting new things" = definitely more than just one instrument
2) "for 2017 and beyond" = longterm plan
3) "the first of these" = might hint at something that is planned as a series, which in turn would correspond with 1) and 2)

Now, it’s still in the open whether that series (if it is indeed one) is being conceptualized as a sum of its complementary parts (= modular concept without being Eurorack), or as a new engine that is going to appear in different shapes and forms.

There's been a market-wide trend toward semi-modular synthesizers compatible with eurorack connectors and voltage ranges (0-10v, 0-5v, -5v-5v, 1v/oct, etc). I'd say that trend more-or-less guarantees that DSI's offering will not be a semi-modular synthesizer in that mold, because that would come way too close to making dslsynth happy.

Anyway, I interpreted the phrase "the first of these" to refer to "interesting new things," without being part of a series of anything.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

dslsynth

« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »
I'd say that trend more-or-less guarantees that DSI's offering will not be a semi-modular synthesizer in that mold, because that would come way too close to making dslsynth happy.

I have a clear feeling that's a core part of DSI's design philosophy!

Seriously, what I really want is a best of all so far voice architecture. What DSI does is serving multiple differently tasting slices of their technology so that they can sell multiple products. Seriously doubt that will ever change.

. o O ( :o )
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2017, 11:55:35 AM »
This, combined with the job posting, leads me to believe that they're looking to move into something completely different (than keyboard synthesizers) within the MI / professional audio space....

Or it could be something as basic as realizing that they need more software development resources to keep the company running let alone trying to maintain past products. I have a clear feeling that their first priority for software development resources are new products but lets see how their offerings and maintenance evolve over time. After all one could hope for something else than Vintage Rehash Galore (TM) in the next series of product releases.
#!/bin/sh

LoboLives

« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2017, 03:12:39 AM »
It would be interesting to see DSI develop a workstation with a form similar to a Synclavier or even Roland V Piano with the controls facing the player as opposed to the player leaning over the controls. It would be interesting to see an FM based Synth (although Yamaha may or may not go after that market at NAMM with the praise of FMX from the Montage) but an FM based synth with a built in sequencer (much like the Synclavier) would be pretty cool.

I think DSI is sort of in a weird place right now. Now everyone is sort of trying to get on board the vintage/analog train they need to look at expanding their horizons. They need to look at products of the past and improve on them. The problem I'm finding is a lot of the vintage gear could actually do more than the modern gear coming out (for example an OBXa can do splits and layers, the OB6 can not, the Poly Sequencers on the Prophet 5 and Prophet 10 can transpose on the fly, the Prophet 6 you can only do this by holding the record button-although this may be fixed in future OS updates).

So Behringer is now stepping into the Polysynth market. Although the DeepMind 12 is limited too it should give DSI incentive to keep moving forward. The OB6 to me was a let down as it wasn't innovative at all, just the exact same synth they released right before except with SEM insides...neat..but...that's not forward thinking. I think DSI needs to read these fourms and get feedback from their customers..which they do but if the fans want a 5 octave keyboard...give them a 5 octave keyboard. If the fans want splits and layers, give them splits and layers. Gear from the 80s logically should not be able to have more features than gear from 2016/2017...that's just mindbogglingly backwards. Things like the Alesis Andromeda or Prophet 08...that's the direction DSI should go because one of these days someone else will come along and do it instead. What is even more bizarre is they have all this feedback and direct communication with their customers online...can they not do polls? Can they not ask what we would like to see or how they can improve? There's really no reason not to.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:14:27 AM by LoboLives »

« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2017, 04:54:53 AM »
I think the problem with customer surveys is that if the products you tend to offer represent a broader palette of options already, which is the case with DSI, people will start to feel entitled to ask for almost anything without constraint based on a plethora of individual needs. It's not only that too many cooks spoil the broth, it would also be impossible to make everybody happy in the end. And if you try to please too many, you'd run the risk of ending up with a workstation, where the emphasis is on "work" instead of versatility, meaning: too many options, too many functions that make sound design and the actual use complicated in the end. That's not really where the appeal of hardware lies, though.

The revival of anything analog - from instruments like the Monologue up to the reissued Minimoog - might only be partially related to the analog sound itself, which in turn is often based on personal tastes and in not to be underestimated cases on pure sentimentality. What all of these instruments have in common though, is a highly specialized range of features and sonic possibilities. In other words: I think what draws most people towards hardware - vintage or new - these days is a form of limitation as opposed to the endless possibilities you are being offered in the ITB environment. Plus: When it comes to the quantity of options alone, I don't think that you could design any hardware synth anymore that would even remotely be considered a serious contender for what you can do with just a laptop and a couple of dedicated controllers. Hence, I believe that the goal for a successful new hardware synth can't really be to fulfill a "do it all" approach. Its ease of use, a well laid out interface, and well thought out ergonomics are much more important in that regard.

As for more and more companies stepping into the analog poly synth market:
The positive side of the current situation is that it actually gives DSI the opportunity to move on while the rest is still trying to get comfortable. With regard to the Prophet '08, the Prophet-6, and the OB-6, DSI have pretty much "fulfilled their duty" on the analog polysynth market by now, so I couldn't see a better time for something completely different, which would make Behringer and the likes look like boring old farts.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:56:31 AM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2017, 05:29:31 AM »
I think the problem with customer surveys is that if the products you tend to offer represent a broader palette of options already, which is the case with DSI, people will start to feel entitled to ask for almost anything without constraint based on a plethora of individual needs. It's not only that too many cooks spoil the broth, it would also be impossible to make everybody happy in the end. And if you try to please too many, you'd run the risk of ending up with a workstation, where the emphasis is on "work" instead of versatility, meaning: too many options, too many functions that make sound design and the actual use complicated in the end. That's not really where the appeal of hardware lies, though.

The revival of anything analog - from instruments like the Monologue up to the reissued Minimoog - might only be partially related to the analog sound itself, which in turn is often based on personal tastes and in not to be underestimated cases on pure sentimentality. What all of these instruments have in common though, is a highly specialized range of features and sonic possibilities. In other words: I think what draws most people towards hardware - vintage or new - these days is a form of limitation as opposed to the endless possibilities you are being offered in the ITB environment. Plus: When it comes to the quantity of options alone, I don't think that you could design any hardware synth anymore that would even remotely be considered a serious contender for what you can do with just a laptop and a couple of dedicated controllers. Hence, I believe that the goal for a successful new hardware synth can't really be to fulfill a "do it all" approach. Its ease of use, a well laid out interface, and well thought out ergonomics are much more important in that regard.

As for more and more companies stepping into the analog poly synth market:
The positive side of the current situation is that it actually gives DSI the opportunity to move on while the rest is still trying to get comfortable. With regard to the Prophet '08, the Prophet-6, and the OB-6, DSI have pretty much "fulfilled their duty" on the analog polysynth market by now, so I couldn't see a better time for something completely different, which would make Behringer and the likes look like boring old farts.

This is a fair point. I agree that the appeal for me for my Prophet 6 is the fact everything is on the front panel with no menu diving. I think DSI should continue with that path but just expand on it. It would be interesting to see them do a synth with multiple engines (for example two Prophet 6 engines which would allow the ability to do splits and layers or have two different patches going while still not relying on menu diving). Everyone knows I'm a big fan of the ARP Quadra which had about 4 synth engines in there with no menu. Wouldn't it be awesome do have something like that from DSI? Engines can obviously be done in a smaller form as the modules have proven so why not incorporate more than one into a single synth?   

I think the problem is the mentality of "Why don't you just use MIDI and a bunch of modules?" but my answer is always "Why even have a keyboard version to begin with that type of mentality?"

chysn

« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2017, 06:15:40 AM »
What is even more bizarre is they have all this feedback and direct communication with their customers online...can they not do polls? Can they not ask what we would like to see or how they can improve? There's really no reason not to.

I think they'd find themselves pulled in too many contradictory directions with that kind of outreach. It's safe to say that a poll would show them that everybody wants everything, and it would fall to DSI to decide how to weigh the input, which would mean they're following whatever inner muse guides them in the first place. They could therefore leave out the unnecessary step of doing a poll.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »
Things like the Alesis Andromeda or Prophet 08...that's the direction DSI should go because one of these days someone else will come along and do it instead.

This is fine music to my ears, but only time will tell.  I think 2017 - and perhaps NAMM itself - will tell us more than merely what synthesizer DSI will offer us next.  I think we will learn the direction the company will be taking in general in the future - whether it be more of the same, or substantially different and innovative.  I may be completely wrong about this - and I hope I am - but the whole Prophet analog poly synth theme seems to be exhausted.  How many variations on a theme can be produced?  So, I would expect to see something quite new this year.

Contrary to all business sense, I don't care for the regular replacing of old instruments with new instruments.  I would much prefer if DSI would perfect and maintain a small number and variety of instruments.  This would include the MK II approach of producing developments of instruments that build on what has already been, improving and expanding on the original foundation.  Oh, for a Prophet '08 MK II with a better keyboard, a few onboard effects, longer envelope times, a high pass filter, and a few other features!  Of course, it's a fact that Dave Smith is not a MK II kind of guy.

But no, things must move on and change must be constant.  This may be good for business and for creating more synth demos, but not for good music.  Regardless, I think NAMM will be a telling event, and 2017 in general.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:25:26 AM by Sacred Synthesis »