Next New Sequential Instrument

OceanMachine

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #980 on: July 12, 2019, 07:01:57 PM »
LFOs are good with me, but I would prefer an onboard designer for user creations or at least a slew parameter. Ofc repeating envelopes is a nice option as well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:22:21 PM by Ocean Machine »

LoboLives

« Reply #981 on: July 12, 2019, 10:20:39 PM »
I would actually like to see some more exotic effects to be honest like reverse delays, harmonizer, and maybe just maybe...a vocoder.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #982 on: July 13, 2019, 02:35:39 AM »
I would actually like to see some more exotic effects to be honest like reverse delays, harmonizer, and maybe just maybe...a vocoder.

Me too... but for some reason it seems that the way FX are made on DSI synths they can only hold a certain number of them... Sequential never explained why this is, but if you look at all the synths with their current FX engine, none have had any additional FX added, even if this is something most users have requested... so this is a department that Sequential could certainly better themselves at because compared to other newer synths like ONE, PEAK, DM12, QUANTUM, Minilogue XD etc. the Sequential FX engine is really lacking behind.

They would need to make more FX slots, and also let the user decide the routing of them. They would also need to make the FX slots available at the same time in these configurations... all the above synths i mentioned have this. Also they should include more parameters, not just a measly 2-3... They do not need to make dosens of parameters per FX algorithm, but definitely more than 2-3, especially on the delay and reverb algorithms. Also, the reverb algorithms should have some way of modulating the signal... reverb modulation is key to getting really lush and dense sounding reverbs... Currently (on the REV2) I have to fake this by using a second layer with FX mix set to "100% wet" and copying the other layer's sound and putting vibrato on it to get the reverb modulated... it's a waste of half the voices.

so no matter what synth Sequential does, I certainly hope that they will up their FX engine a bit... it's starting to look pale when you compare it to the other synths out there right now that has FX built in... either do it right, or completely remove the FX all together. To me, FX is an integral part of designing a sound/preset, and thus a very impotant aspect of a preset sound. The FX engine many doubles your creative options in sound design, it's the icing on the cake.

And if Dave is not up for the task, or don't want to bother with it, he could team up with a good DSP coder to do it for him... he's worked with others in collaborations before... I'd wish he gave the owner of ValhallaDSP a call, and arranged something with them... they know how to create really good reverbs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:32:31 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #983 on: July 13, 2019, 02:44:35 AM »
[…] if you look at all the synths with their current FX engine, none have had any additional FX added […]

That's technically not true. Phaser 3 and Ring Modulation were added to the Prophet-6 soon after the release of the OB-6.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #984 on: July 13, 2019, 03:03:57 AM »
[…] if you look at all the synths with their current FX engine, none have had any additional FX added […]

That's technically not true. Phaser 3 and Ring Modulation were added to the Prophet-6 soon after the release of the OB-6.

Then why did Sequential on other occasions where people requested new FX on other of their synths tell us that it is not possible?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:28:31 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #985 on: July 13, 2019, 03:13:38 AM »
This is a quote from Sequential in the REV2 Feature Request thread:

"We don't have enough DSP horsepower remaining to add additional FX to the Prophet Rev2."

... now I do not know why DSP horsepower should be a problem as REV2 is only one FX at a time, all the FX do not run at all times I believe, so why is it not possible to add more? is it an algorithm code-space limitation perhaps?... i asked about this in the feature request thread after this statement was given, but i never got an answer to it... this just shows that the FX engine is underpowered for any enhancements with this DSP unit they're using... this is something they could definitely expand upon.

An explanation to why it was possible with the OB-6 could be that it either have a more powerful DSP chip, or that it actually use two of them... as far as I know, the OB-6, P6 and PX all have two FX slots per layer, and as only one of them hold the delays and reverbs, then maybe the other one holding only the modulation FX had space left and juice to add the Ringmod etc? REV2 only have one FX slot per layer, which (in my opinion) was probably a wrong design choice... the REV2 would have been much more powerful if it had two like the other synths... but I suppose that was a cost saving decision.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:36:22 AM by Razmo »

OceanMachine

« Reply #986 on: July 13, 2019, 10:10:42 AM »
The same thing was said about the Tempest, so perhaps some forward thinking in building machines with more headroom is required. It would be nice to see some regular substantial updates like Novation have been doing with the Peak and Bass Station II. How Yamaha have overhauled the Montage with yearly OS updates that add tons of new features. How Waldorf did almost immediately with the Kernel update for the Quantum. Etc. Etc. The most major update DSI did was with the FM update for the P12 and Pro 2, which was very nice ofc. Heck, as a P6 user, I'd just be happy (if possible) if the super plate from the PX was transferred over. Now that synths are so easily update-able, support of these machines throughout their lifespan will help maintain interest. Again, Peak is a perfect example as a major positive shift in the way folks viewed it occurred directly because of the update. I know the same could have been said about the Tempest's image had the same been the case.

« Reply #987 on: July 23, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
So everyone's scratching their head and making wild guesses...me too.  Would it be bad business practice for Sequential to at least announce a general realm of what this next instrument might be?  For example, I might sit tight and not invest in another manufacturer if I definitively knew something in my spectrum of liking was coming down the pike.  Preemptively they might preserve more of the potential buyers wallets to open in their direction.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LoboLives

« Reply #988 on: July 23, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »
So everyone's scratching their head and making wild guesses...me too.  Would it be bad business practice for Sequential to at least announce a general realm of what this next instrument might be?  For example, I might sit tight and not invest in another manufacturer if I definitively knew something in my spectrum of liking was coming down the pike.  Preemptively they might preserve more of the potential buyers wallets to open in their direction.

Nah, they never have done that. They always catch people by surprise and honestly with the quality of craftsmanship and uniqueness of their instruments more people would likely gravitate towards them than any other manufacturer. Plus this avoids potential leeches trying to steal their thunder.

That’s just my opinion, at the end of the day, people will buy what they desire regardless.

« Reply #989 on: July 25, 2019, 01:22:20 PM »
This is the place to dream about what you'd like to see DSI make next.

Personally, I'm still awaiting "the big one," the sort of large-scale polyphonic bi-timbral synthesizer, strong in the fundamentals of synthesis but not loaded down with additional features, that would be a worthy replacement for the Prophet '08.  In fact, the Prophet '08 is a great place to start. 

I sent a suggestion by email. it was poo-pooed a little.

A 12 voice polysynth, bi-timbral, etc. Anyway, who cares? Moog did the Moog One now with 16 voices if you have $7999 to spare, or £7999 in the UK!

Maybe Dave Smith got wind of the Moog1 and stayed purposely away from that area?

I bet VCO synths are a minefield, business-wise. They were i=even in the 70s and 80s!

Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

LoboLives

« Reply #990 on: July 25, 2019, 06:08:21 PM »
This is the place to dream about what you'd like to see DSI make next.

Personally, I'm still awaiting "the big one," the sort of large-scale polyphonic bi-timbral synthesizer, strong in the fundamentals of synthesis but not loaded down with additional features, that would be a worthy replacement for the Prophet '08.  In fact, the Prophet '08 is a great place to start. 

I sent a suggestion by email. it was poo-pooed a little.

A 12 voice polysynth, bi-timbral, etc. Anyway, who cares? Moog did the Moog One now with 16 voices if you have $7999 to spare, or £7999 in the UK!

Maybe Dave Smith got wind of the Moog1 and stayed purposely away from that area?

I bet VCO synths are a minefield, business-wise. They were i=even in the 70s and 80s!

The one thing Dave could do VCO wise that would blow everyone out of the water is a modern take on the Prophet T8...somehow, someway reverse engineer the Polyphonic aftertouch key bed they had. Actually I think any synth company that somehow works with Fatar or whoever into developing a synth with a built in Polyphonic aftertouch keyboard is going to be hailed as king.

chysn

« Reply #991 on: July 25, 2019, 06:21:25 PM »

I don't understand the technological barrier to VCOs. Eurorack is embarrassingly loaded with great-sounding, full-featured, inexpensive VCOs with rock-solid tracking, and they don't even have the luxury of producing them on a huge scale.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #992 on: July 30, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »
New interview with Dave...

https://youtu.be/P8PDs0VAs3I
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #993 on: July 31, 2019, 12:47:21 AM »
Well... now we know why no Sequential/DSI instruments have sliders ...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #994 on: July 31, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
What a shame.  I always liked sliders, and preferred the Odyssey to the Minimoog.

jg666

« Reply #995 on: August 01, 2019, 03:40:25 AM »
Well I for one am hoping that the next synth comes out soon before the £ drops even further and makes everything too expensive in the UK :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #996 on: August 01, 2019, 04:17:53 AM »
Well I for one am hoping that the next synth comes out soon before the £ drops even further and makes everything too expensive in the UK :)

It’s been that way for Canadians for a while. My Prophet 6 was $4K and my Prophet X was close to $7K.

« Reply #997 on: August 02, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
I personnaly would like a rack (yes, please, enough of desktop) compatible new Prophet VS.
Since the Pro2 is not retired, a kinda mix of Pro2 & VS would be particularly cool !

Kja

« Reply #998 on: August 03, 2019, 03:29:05 AM »

I don't understand the technological barrier to VCOs. Eurorack is embarrassingly loaded with great-sounding, full-featured, inexpensive VCOs with rock-solid tracking, and they don't even have the luxury of producing them on a huge scale.
VCO's are not hard, is getting them to play nicely polyphonically that is tricky. Very few have been able to program that type of control software, Dave being one of them, although he got a lot of help with the prophet 5.

OceanMachine

« Reply #999 on: August 21, 2019, 11:50:27 AM »
Despite its faults, the Tempest is still imo the best drum machine of all time. What I really want most is a Tempest X, so I've decided to put money aside in anticipation for that, even though according to Dave's comments it's safe to assume it's not coming next. The TX will be my next gear purchase (if it ever really does become a thing) unless Roger releases his supposed LinnDrum 2 in the meantime and it turns out amazing.