Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #860 on: April 11, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »
Fully MPE compatible for the new midi controllers on the market would be nice.   Ability to import waveforms.  And most importantly, how about another blue color one like PEK?  Something to set it apart form the poly market offerings.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LoboLives

« Reply #861 on: April 11, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
Fully MPE compatible for the new midi controllers on the market would be nice.   Ability to import waveforms.  And most importantly, how about another blue color one like PEK?  Something to set it apart form the poly market offerings.

Or white! I tried a white P12 in the store the other week and I really liked the look of it.

OceanMachine

« Reply #862 on: April 11, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »
I hope it has an all digital front end with SSI2144 filters. If so I've already started saving up for it.

Also I'd prefer it to be white with blue print/lights.

LoboLives

« Reply #863 on: April 11, 2019, 07:15:33 PM »
I hope it has an all digital front end with SSI2144 filters. If so I've already started saving up for it.

Also I'd prefer it to be white with blue print/lights.

I've always associated wavetables/VS synthesis with the color Blue because of the Prophet VS, Poly Evolver and PPG Wave. Much like how I associate FM synthesis with the color Green (Because of the DX7)

I actually think either a white or blue synth would be a nice addition to Sequential's catalog. It would certainly make it unique.

The question really is....will it be another Prophet or will we see a totally new Sequential synth name? The Sequential Waves? The Sequential Vector?

« Reply #864 on: April 25, 2019, 07:36:08 AM »
Not sure if that's anything to go by but the Pro 2 got a $500 price drop at Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pro2--dave-smith-instruments-pro-2

LoboLives

« Reply #865 on: April 25, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
Not sure if that's anything to go by but the Pro 2 got a $500 price drop at Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pro2--dave-smith-instruments-pro-2

Pro 4 baby! Woooo

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #866 on: April 25, 2019, 07:17:33 PM »

"Limited-time Offer!
 25% Off Plus Free Carry Bag and DSM03 Module!"

It sounds as if they're trying hard to move them out.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:19:57 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #867 on: April 27, 2019, 10:19:37 AM »
I do wonder if Sequential will officially buy Oberhiem and do turn some of Tom’s unreleased SEM X Eurorack stuff into reality....or The Son Of 4 Voice. Not sure if Dave and co. Have a big enough operation to handle both but still...hate to see those designs fade away.

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2011/01/tom-oberheim-son-of-4-voice.html

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2017-oberheim-announce-eurorack-sem-x/

I did read though on a forum that someone asked Tom about the SEM X and Eurorack stuff and he apparently told them they will be released in 2019. I truly wish that to be true.

Shaw

« Reply #868 on: May 06, 2019, 08:51:36 PM »
I did read though on a forum that someone asked Tom about the SEM X and Eurorack stuff and he apparently told them they will be released in 2019. I truly wish that to be true.
THAT would drag me [kicking and screaming] into the world of EuroCrack.   The Sem Pro almost did....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #869 on: May 07, 2019, 06:40:48 PM »
With the Novation Summit set to arrive...I wonder if Sequential might change their plans for a P12 successor or somehow manage to simply bring out a better product to compete with the Summit. Both would likely be a digital oscillator/analog filter combination with bi timbrality and on board Effects. Both would likely have wavetables and FM in their digital front end. Makes one wonder if Sequential might do something completely unexpected and scrap their plans for a P12 successor because of this.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #870 on: May 08, 2019, 12:50:24 AM »
It will probably be a digital replacement for the P12... with the SUMMIT coming, it really will be hard to choose a P12 over the SUMMIT... SUMMIT more or less has the options that made the P12 attractive over the PEAK, and with a superior audio quality.

My bet is that if Sequential do not take MHz rate FPGA synthesis serious, they will sack behind at some point... so I hope for their own sake that they start taking that serious for future digital front end synthesizers.

But there are a few other possible things that the next synth could be... Dave has mentioned that it could be fun to use the sampling technology to create some sort of percussion device, so that is a sign it may be something in that direction too... TEMPEST certainly needs a successor as well, with a much better MIDI implementation and digital front end.

If it's not any of those two options, I really do not know what it would be, unless it's a module version of the Prophet X.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #871 on: May 08, 2019, 03:39:25 AM »
It will probably be a digital replacement for the P12... with the SUMMIT coming, it really will be hard to choose a P12 over the SUMMIT... SUMMIT more or less has the options that made the P12 attractive over the PEAK, and with a superior audio quality.

My bet is that if Sequential do not take MHz rate FPGA synthesis serious, they will sack behind at some point... so I hope for their own sake that they start taking that serious for future digital front end synthesizers.

But there are a few other possible things that the next synth could be... Dave has mentioned that it could be fun to use the sampling technology to create some sort of percussion device, so that is a sign it may be something in that direction too... TEMPEST certainly needs a successor as well, with a much better MIDI implementation and digital front end.

If it's not any of those two options, I really do not know what it would be, unless it's a module version of the Prophet X.

Well he said they aren’t working on a PX style percussion yet so I don’t think it’s that. I do think though they were working on something FPGA for their P12 replacement so it will be interesting to see if they hold off to see what the Summit has to offer and then try and better it.

« Reply #872 on: May 08, 2019, 03:51:30 AM »

Well he said they aren’t working on a PX style percussion yet so I don’t think it’s that. I do think though they were working on something FPGA for their P12 replacement so it will be interesting to see if they hold off to see what the Summit has to offer and then try and better it.

Correct. Dave just stated in a conversation with Nick from Sonicstate that some sort of drum machine based on sampling technology would certainly be a great idea, but quickly added that this is not what they're currently working on.

And while the Sequential team might certainly be receptive to what's going on, I very much doubt that they would revisit an already started design process according to daily announcements from the synth world.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #873 on: May 08, 2019, 04:16:45 AM »
One thing I'd like to see from Sequential now is a replacement of the P12

The new filters in the PX scream to be used in another type of digital front end kind of synth... Personally I'd like to see an FPGA digital front end, that has more than just the oscillators in the FPGA... I like the idear of the analog filters, but they are only LP, so if they instead included some unique digital filters in the FPGA it would become rather interesting, plus more ways to modulate between the oscillators than just the usual sync, ringmod and FM... I'd like to see some filter types that are rare in the analog domain like formant filters, waveshapers and other fun stuff that will allow you to get a really huge timbral range before the conversion to analog. I also hope for FX where the reverb has more modulation options than the current synth range... preferably I'd also like it to sport 4 oscillators so that the synth could have a built in joystick for Prophet VS type of performance where you can mix between the four waveforms (or other parameters) using the joystick.

Also... I'd like waveform storage like it was on the Evolver... with todays huge amount of memory for cheap, it should be possible to make a huge waveform bank with say; 4096 single cycle waveforms that you could upload yourself via SysEx, and then use these for both oscillator waveforms and LFO waveforms.... I'm thinking that the wavetables could be done a bit like it was on the P12 where you chose a left/middle/right waveshape, but just expand this to 5 waveforms instead that you can morph in between... this is what I miss on the PEAK because the wavetables are ROM shapes, not RAM which would greatly expand on the sonic pallette.

All in all I'd like to see a more wavetable oriented hybrid synth from Sequential.. .especially with FPGA for the digital part, with a joystick to use as performance controller.

« Reply #874 on: May 08, 2019, 05:38:02 AM »
Whatever they build, I hope they use better quality pot shafts. It’s shocking how quickly they deteriorate and this has been a major factor in my not buying a DSI/Sequential poly as of yet.

Summit is looking like a definite contender.

LoboLives

« Reply #875 on: May 09, 2019, 03:44:57 PM »
You know, with the current digital front/analog filter hybrids that have come out of Superbooth this year, I almost want to see Sequential not do one. As nice as a P12 successor would be it feels like it might get lost in the shuffle. Sequential always seems to sort of be ahead of the market or almost leading the market in a way but doing something so similar to the Summit or even the Super 6 would have less impact I feel, regardless of how many features they put into it.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #876 on: May 10, 2019, 05:22:36 AM »
You know, with the current digital front/analog filter hybrids that have come out of Superbooth this year, I almost want to see Sequential not do one. As nice as a P12 successor would be it feels like it might get lost in the shuffle. Sequential always seems to sort of be ahead of the market or almost leading the market in a way but doing something so similar to the Summit or even the Super 6 would have less impact I feel, regardless of how many features they put into it.

Well... whatver they have been working on for some time now, they probably cannot turn around, so it may be a replacement afterall... we'll just have to wait and see...

LoboLives

« Reply #877 on: May 10, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »

Well... whatver they have been working on for some time now, they probably cannot turn around, so it may be a replacement afterall... we'll just have to wait and see...

Yeah I suppose...still...they haven’t really given themselves an official deadline or any official announcement. They didn’t debut anything at Namm or Superbooth or anything this year so it could very well be pushed back to next year before we see anything new with Sequential.

« Reply #878 on: May 17, 2019, 12:16:13 PM »

Shaw

« Reply #879 on: May 17, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |