Next New Sequential Instrument

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #800 on: January 25, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
I'm 99% certain, that the next product is either a PX module, or the P12's takeover...

A PX module seems to be off the table with a likelihood of 99% methinks.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #801 on: January 25, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
I'm 99% certain, that the next product is either a PX module, or the P12's takeover...

I know the chances are not high... but it's either that, or a P12 takeover... the later being my best bet thus far. :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Shaw

« Reply #802 on: January 25, 2019, 03:59:58 PM »

That’s what essentially what Carson said in a Prophet X thread... which to me means that they have either been s-ending time around the office drinking (see those new 40th anniversary shot glasses), or working on something completely new.  Or hopefully both.

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #803 on: January 25, 2019, 04:28:06 PM »

That’s what essentially what Carson said in a Prophet X thread... which to me means that they have either been s-ending time around the office drinking (see those new 40th anniversary shot glasses), or working on something completely new.  Or hopefully both.

I'm not so sure about that. 2018 was still pretty much dedicated to the PX and the PXL. After all, it wasn't announced before May. Then they had to design the hardware for the PXL while maintaining the first OS versions and developing the user sample import feature. During the 2nd half of last year they also released plenty of updates for other synths which included not only bug fixes but also significant enhancements like in the case of the Pro 2's software. That couldn't have left a lot of time to focus on what comes next, although they certainly know by now what is going to be the next project. But it will probably take a couple of more months until that's going to be announced. Personally, I wouldn't expect any news before summer, which I would still consider quick in case the next instrument would be something like a follow-up to the P12. If there would ever be anything like that, though, I would not expect it to be anything like a P12 Rev2, but rather something that's as related to the P12 as the P12 was to the Evolver.

LoboLives

« Reply #804 on: January 25, 2019, 09:38:17 PM »
I think we will likely see Sequential’s next synth announced around Superbooth or Knobcon or something. With things like the Peak, Quantum and even the Kyra and Microfreak perhaps Sequential is simply deciding what they should do in terms of a digital oscillator based synth that would be different or stand out from what’s already on the market.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:46:34 PM by LoboLives »

« Reply #805 on: January 26, 2019, 05:31:16 AM »
I think we will likely see Sequential’s next synth announced around Superbooth or Knobcon or something. With things like the Peak, Quantum and even the Kyra and Microfreak perhaps Sequential is simply deciding what they should do in terms of a digital oscillator based synth that would be different or stand out from what’s already on the market.

Sequential has never really made its decisions dependent on market research or anything like that. So I would assume they already know what's next irrespective of the latest NAMM releases. I do agree insofar, though, as the analog craze seems to have reached a tipping point. Not in the sense that there's going to be another 1983 again (the current market is far too diverse by comparison and allows for a more sustained co-existence of different types), but insofar as more and more design approaches move into the hybrid territory: Hybrid in terms of analog and digital, but also in terms of synthesis options.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #806 on: January 26, 2019, 06:02:37 AM »
And therefore Sequential also has to take FPGA digital synthesis seriously now in my opinion... one of the things that all digital synths suffer from are aliasing, especially with the more exotic types of synthesis that involve audio rate modulations (and that's the actual fun digital synthesis, doing things analog cannot)... more and more of these digital synths are seeing the light of day in these times... Kyra and PEAK being examples of this.

More hardware synths working in FPGA would also make a big difference to all those "digital synth in software and hardware are essentially the same, so you can as well use softsynths" types of comments... if hardware synths start to utilize FPGA digital synthesis they will be able to outpower the softsynths, making an actual good reason to choose hardware over software... even when 100% digital.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:05:56 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #807 on: January 26, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
And therefore Sequential also has to take FPGA digital synthesis seriously now in my opinion... one of the things that all digital synths suffer from are aliasing, especially with the more exotic types of synthesis that involve audio rate modulations (and that's the actual fun digital synthesis, doing things analog cannot)... more and more of these digital synths are seeing the light of day in these times... Kyra and PEAK being examples of this.

More hardware synths working in FPGA would also make a big difference to all those "digital synth in software and hardware are essentially the same, so you can as well use softsynths" types of comments... if hardware synths start to utilize FPGA digital synthesis they will be able to outpower the softsynths, making an actual good reason to choose hardware over software... even when 100% digital.

I'd like to see a function where you can dial in how much aliasing you want.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #808 on: January 26, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »
significant enhancements like in the case of the Pro 2's software.

I'd like major updates like linear FM for P12/Pro 2 not be the exception. The Montage for example has massive annual overhauls. Novation Peak just had tons of major features added. The Quantum isn't even a year old and a major addition is being added. Now the explanation given is that Sequential isn't a massive company like Yamaha, yet if you're releasing flagship 3 or even 4k synths, especially tech heavy ones like the PX, I would expect the same treatment being paid.

I want to see the P12 replacement as much as the next guy, but a model based around a yearly high-end release doesn't allow for any single product to reach its full potential.

LoboLives

« Reply #809 on: January 26, 2019, 11:58:23 AM »
significant enhancements like in the case of the Pro 2's software.

I'd like major updates like linear FM for P12/Pro 2 not be the exception. The Montage for example has massive annual overhauls. Novation Peak just had tons of major features added. The Quantum isn't even a year old and a major addition is being added. Now the explanation given is that Sequential isn't a massive company like Yamaha, yet if you're releasing flagship 3 or even 4k synths, especially tech heavy ones like the PX, I would expect the same treatment being paid.

I want to see the P12 replacement as much as the next guy, but a model based around a yearly high-end release doesn't allow for any single product to reach its full potential.

Well with the recent updates to the P6, OB6 and REV2...perhaps it's a sign where a certain team will be delegated to focusing on improving products in their catalog while others are focusing on the newest ones. Look how much they've grown since the days of the P12, Pro 2, Tempest and Mophox4.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #810 on: January 26, 2019, 04:28:24 PM »

I completely agree.  I would much rather see a moderate number of highly developed instruments that are substantially free of bugs.  The yearly release is not nearly as important.  It just keeps the company in the music news.

« Reply #811 on: January 26, 2019, 05:51:28 PM »
And fresh from NAMM (crossposted):

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #812 on: January 27, 2019, 12:57:44 PM »
https://youtu.be/lGez_3jqgCI?t=566

Looks like whatever it is, we might see it by the summer...

LoboLives

« Reply #813 on: January 27, 2019, 01:11:39 PM »
https://youtu.be/lGez_3jqgCI?t=566

Looks like whatever it is, we might see it by the summer...

Oh happy day!

« Reply #814 on: January 27, 2019, 01:19:28 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #815 on: January 27, 2019, 01:39:42 PM »
So we have one hint: it's nothing like a Prophet XL.  Okay, let's try to work from there.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:44:12 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #816 on: January 27, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
So we have one hint: it's nothing like a Prophet XL.  Okay, let's try to work from there....

Not yet at least. Dave mentioned that the PX engine would be great for drums, but not right away.

Shaw

« Reply #817 on: January 27, 2019, 01:41:27 PM »
So we have one hint: it's nothing like a Prophet XL.  Okay, let's try to work from there....
And we have that sheepish grin from Dave -- like saying "it's gonna be a good one".

:)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #818 on: January 27, 2019, 01:44:37 PM »
Could we say a Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2 is nothing like a PXL?   Hmmm....

« Reply #819 on: January 27, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »
Could we say a Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2 is nothing like a PXL?   Hmmm....

Since there hasn't been anything like a PEK, I see no logical fallacy.  ;)