Next New Sequential Instrument

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Next New DSI Instrument
« Reply #700 on: October 09, 2018, 06:10:32 AM »
We can only imagine what effect the existence of the Moog One will have on DSI, but I do think that, in a general way, the former company has wandered into the letter's traditional territory.  I hope this doesn't discourage DSI from creating what I've long hoped they would produce - a large all-analog poly synth substantially bigger than the Prophet '08/Rev2.  I'm still waiting and hoping for this. 

I'd agree that the Prophet 12 probably will not be around for long, and that will leave a vacuum at the top, in spite of the Prophet X.  It would be a good time for a new DSI flagship.  I'd be happy to see a more reasonably-priced mega-synth, versus the One.  Personally, I would never sink such an immense amount of money into a single instrument - first, because I would never have it, and second, because I would much rather have a keyboard version/module version pair.  That alone has me always favoring DSI synthesizers and the DSI approach.

So, I hope the Moog One motivates DSI to produce a more reasonably priced large scale VCO masterpiece, if they aren't working on one already.  Say, an expanded Prophet-6.

And then there's the beautiful and magnificent Poly Evolver Keyboard - just waiting to be revived.  She still strikes me as the gem in the DSI line.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:16:09 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #701 on: October 09, 2018, 06:46:06 AM »
Maybe a slightly expanded P-6 as a sort of 40th anniversary edition.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #702 on: October 09, 2018, 07:13:10 AM »
Right.  The P-6 would be a natural place to start.  "That sound," but with expanded size and control.  Or a Rev2 with VCO's.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:23:13 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #703 on: October 09, 2018, 09:12:06 AM »

Hmmm and maybe with an option lower manual keybed that it can rest on. Sort of like how Crumar does it with their organs.

LoboLives

« Reply #704 on: October 09, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »

Ugh...your designs always make me salivate.

Shaw

« Reply #705 on: October 09, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »

... an 18 voice, tri-timbral... wait for it... Prophet 18 -- in 2018 no doubt.
too gimmicky?

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #706 on: October 09, 2018, 10:30:19 AM »

too gimmicky?

Go big or go home. Prophet-20.

Shaw

« Reply #707 on: October 09, 2018, 10:35:25 AM »

too gimmicky?

Go big or go home. Prophet-20.
As long as we aren't waiting until 2020
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #708 on: October 12, 2018, 04:53:51 AM »
I'd like to see a synth from SCI with a voice architecture like the one I've made a picture off here.

You could say that it could be some sort of "Evolver 2", but that's not really the point.

My initial idea was, that two simple analog oscillators was converted into digital, and then used a sources for further manipulation in a powerful per voice DSP chip. There are many options as what to do with the converted sources before being output into an analog filter and amp (still with stereo separation in the signal path), so only the imagination will be the limit here... I could very well see this DSP module being set up like choosing algorithms, and if the DSP has some built in memory, it would give lots of options for crazy algorithms.

Regarding the UI I clearly see the DSP module given a big screen with parameter navigation buttons/knobs.

What the filters should be could be discussed, but I would not mind it being the new filters from the Prophet X... point is, that digital filters could and should be easily implemented in some of the DSP algorithms as well, so it's not overly necessary to have costly analog filters after the DSP... I don't want this synth to cost the same as a MOOG ONE :)

I've only drawn out the voice architecture, but certainly there will also be the control modulation section as usual with all the LFOs and EGs etc. plus the obligatory FX sections at the end of the signal chain.

The reason for this voice architecture is that when the audio sources are converted from an analog oscillator, then their analog nature will permeate all the way down thru the digital DSP path before being converted back into analog before the analog filter and amp... all the imperfections will be kept down the line.

My initial idea was to use the sources as "accumulators" for looking up digitally stored waveforms in memory for example. using a simple ramp up waveform on an analog oscillator like this would create a digital "copy" of the analog waveform, but with all the imperfections transfered to the stored waveform... and if the waveform is changed on the analog oscillator, you'd get crazy waveshapings going on in the result...

This is but one example... many other creative uses could be made, making a huge potential in sonics.

Somehow dreaming about the DSP module of this being made open source which could potentially make this synth's potential explode, but it would probably be easier to create a fixed set of algorithms.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:08:06 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #709 on: October 13, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
I've been messing around a Korg EX-8000, and I realize there's something I really like from their LFOs that I think are missing from other implementations--the delay feature. Just having a little delay to allow the attack portion to finish before the LFO kicks in can be really useful. I'd even be happy if that's something behind a menu like on the P12's envelope delay. Knob real estate is precious and expensive.

Speaking of envelopes, another feature that the DW/EX-8000 has are the slightly more complicated envelopes. You have that in the Moog One, too, and while I realize that most people don't bother, having the extra break point and slope parameter allows for some really interesting and more natural decay patterns--or something really odd since "natural" is rarely what I'm going for. The D-50's multi-point and time system is probably overkill, but just an extra element would be nice. I'd rate this far less useful than the delay on the LFOs, though--especially since you can get some of this effect by layering.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #710 on: October 13, 2018, 02:53:21 PM »
I've been messing around a Korg EX-8000, and I realize there's something I really like from their LFOs that I think are missing from other implementations--the delay feature. Just having a little delay to allow the attack portion to finish before the LFO kicks in can be really useful. I'd even be happy if that's something behind a menu like on the P12's envelope delay. Knob real estate is precious and expensive.

Speaking of envelopes, another feature that the DW/EX-8000 has are the slightly more complicated envelopes. You have that in the Moog One, too, and while I realize that most people don't bother, having the extra break point and slope parameter allows for some really interesting and more natural decay patterns--or something really odd since "natural" is rarely what I'm going for. The D-50's multi-point and time system is probably overkill, but just an extra element would be nice. I'd rate this far less useful than the delay on the LFOs, though--especially since you can get some of this effect by layering.

This can be simulated with the modulation matrix ... just route the AUX envelope to the LFO Amount... it'll cost a slot in the matrix and an EG of course...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #711 on: October 14, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »

This can be simulated with the modulation matrix ... just route the AUX envelope to the LFO Amount... it'll cost a slot in the matrix and an EG of course...

Yep. I've done that. It just seems a simple thing to add, and frees up the EG for other things. Especially on a synth with only two or even three EGs, that can be very helpful.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #712 on: October 19, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
OK, so my comments are all for the one AFTER the next new one:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/10/19/sequential-prophet-xl-sneak-preview/

(Please delete if this is a faux pas.)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #713 on: November 16, 2018, 08:17:38 AM »
The time has come.  I cast my vote for some strikingly similar configuration of a Prophet VS/Poly Evolver Keyboard. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:42:06 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #714 on: November 16, 2018, 10:04:42 AM »
The time has come.  I cast my vote for some strikingly similar configuration of a Prophet VS/Poly Evolver Keyboard.

Hope it has a joystick! Lol

« Reply #715 on: November 16, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »

Yeah, an 8-voice PolyEvolver/VS hybrid would be a great, characterful instrument. Especially as a module. (Ahem. :))

LoboLives

« Reply #716 on: November 16, 2018, 07:24:35 PM »

Yeah, an 8-voice PolyEvolver/VS hybrid would be a great, characterful instrument. Especially as a module. (Ahem. :))

Even a 10 voice 4 part multitimbral PolyEvolver.

« Reply #717 on: November 17, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »
I got to try a poly evolver today! Now thats what i call a creative design. 4 voices is a bit on the low side in 2018 though i feel!

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #718 on: November 17, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »

Sign me up for a module version so long as it has SSM-based filters.

Shaw

« Reply #719 on: December 21, 2018, 08:08:31 PM »
I'm kinda hoping for a big brother to the OB-6.  Otherwise I may piece together my own "OB-12" from a keyboard and module. But I would rather have it in one self contained unit -- I know that is a long shot, but hey, this thread is usually more pipe dream than prediction.
 :)